PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf 30th Aniversary Deal

KITS AND BITS
19-04-2007, 17:31
just wanted you to know that GW will be offering a 30% free issues offer on subsricptions to celebrate the 30 year aviversary , this also works with current deals so it can work out at about 2 per issue which is quite a saving ! supposed to start some time in may/june .

punisher
19-04-2007, 17:34
also "cough" its going to be a very fun month,, i think the number 30 should have alot to do with it:D :D

||-MARKO-||
19-04-2007, 17:41
Damn. Looks like GW have a very good excuse to make blister packs 30 for a few weeks :D

By the way, more info on this in the fantasy discussion.

Marko

Crube
19-04-2007, 17:42
also "cough" its going to be a very fun month,, i think the number 30 should have alot to do with it:D :D

C'mon - you can't leave us hanging like this - more please

Pretty please ;)

OrlyggJafnakol
19-04-2007, 18:23
I hope they do a better cover than the 300th WD... What a terrible job that was, I mean what was it supposed to be?

chaos0xomega
19-04-2007, 22:17
I liked Wd 300, I wish WD was more like that than the crud we get now.

Punisher-Yeah seriously don't lead us hanging like that.

The only thing I can think of involving 'the number 30 should have something to do with it' and 'Looks like GW have a very good excuse to make blister packs 30 for a few weeks ' is that we're getting 30% off all GW items in celebration.

Steel_Legion
19-04-2007, 22:47
HA!
All i have relaly heard is a special white dwarf, but this WD seems good, doubt I will go for it though purely because some issues I may miss just because of a lack of content i want, but still good deal

Hagraz
19-04-2007, 23:07
Ive seen the cover of WD 330 it has a red background and a fairly cool picture of the White Dwarf. and XXX at the bottom of the cover. 'tis quite cool :)

Shrike30
19-04-2007, 23:30
Even if they're going to take 30% off the subscription cost of WD, I really can't imagine wanting to buy it, given how far downhill the content has slid in the last couple of years. It's essentially become solely a giant advertisement for their products, 2/3 of which are for games I don't play.

keatsmeister
19-04-2007, 23:45
Even if they're going to take 30% off the subscription cost of WD, I really can't imagine wanting to buy it, given how far downhill the content has slid in the last couple of years. It's essentially become solely a giant advertisement for their products, 2/3 of which are for games I don't play.

You mean it wasn't before :eek:

I jest. I've stopped buying it every month now, I just don't see the same level of originality and variety in the content any more. There's the odd bit worth reading for my interest, but not so much that I'd pay out for it each time. I used ti be able to read just about every article, no matter what the game system. It made it accessible to me, both as a new gamer, and as a more experienced gamer later on, and had variety and flavour. As it stands right now, it is incredibly commercial and bland. Sorry to the guys at WD, but if tha last few issues were a piece of coursework, I'd add that all too familiar pairing at the top of the piece.

F-. See Me

The Orange
19-04-2007, 23:47
Anyone know if this is a global deal, or UK only? I havne't heard a thing about any 30th celebration.

JonnyTHM
20-04-2007, 01:40
it's in Canada at the least (see ca.games-workshop.com for details)

Crube
20-04-2007, 13:39
the only thing I can think of involving 'the number 30 should have something to do with it' and 'Looks like GW have a very good excuse to make blister packs 30 for a few weeks ' is that we're getting 30% off all GW items in celebration.

I'm not a religious man, but

*gets down on knees and prays*

*gets out Visa Card*

shaso_iceborn
20-04-2007, 13:50
I have to agree that it's not worth it anymore. Especially since they removed stuff such as chapter approved and warhammer "chronicles?"

Quade Collins
21-04-2007, 02:11
you forget to mention the biased battle reports in favour of the models they are pushing, the tau army being wiped off the board, and all the shooty chaos vs an eldar army in cities of death? the only good thing about the current standard of WD is the fact that in june/july a blood angels dex will be in it... other then that... yeah no can't think of anything... oh wait golden daemon entries/winners...

Wise Guy Sam
21-04-2007, 04:23
you forget to mention the biased battle reports in favour of the models they are pushing, the tau army being wiped off the board, and all the shooty chaos vs an eldar army in cities of death? the only good thing about the current standard of WD is the fact that in june/july a blood angels dex will be in it... other then that... yeah no can't think of anything... oh wait golden daemon entries/winners...

IIRC a few ago, the released army lost it's Battle report.

I maybe have missed 3-5 issues of WD since the 'beginning', must of been the month after DE where released(10 years or so) in those days armies where relesed good and proper.
I must say my fav articles in WD would be 'a tale of 4 gamers' and the like.
Anyhow back on topic 30% off sounds good. i'd subscribe, If you compare wd to everything else gw produces i think its great value for money. Even compared to say Video game mags.

Bring back Dave Taylor (aus ed)

RavenMorpheus
21-04-2007, 05:57
GW/WD 30th year, I see in my crystal balls a price rise, another 12 issues of WD full of shameless bat reps and other articles to advertise miniatures rather than being a hobby magazine like it used to be, some money off offers that aren't actually that good when you look at them closely, oh and maybe a new codex or two, althought my crystal balls go a bit fuzzy around that point!

inquisitorautry
21-04-2007, 07:50
Ive seen the cover of WD 330 it has a red background and a fairly cool picture of the White Dwarf. and XXX at the bottom of the cover. 'tis quite cool :)

I bet there are going to be a few people with bearded midget fetishes that get ticked off when they accidently buy that issue.

Finn Sourscowl
21-04-2007, 19:12
30% off the subscription price?? Is that "all"?? 2 an issue is all well and good, but I was hoping for something a little more... tangiable, if you see what I mean :D

KITS AND BITS
23-04-2007, 23:28
30% off the subscription price?? Is that "all"?? 2 an issue is all well and good, but I was hoping for something a little more... tangiable, if you see what I mean :D

no not 30% off, 30% free issues ,slightly different concept ,personally i love white dwarf and have bought white dwarf for the past 200 or so issues give or take a few .
It shocks me how much anti GW feeling their is in a website dedicated to GW, the hobby is alive and well people ,why not just try once in a while and go with the GW flow rather than constantly trying to swim up stream !
trust me you will all miss it when its gone !

esk34
24-04-2007, 05:17
Well i'm not anti GW. I love there mini's, however I hate what has happned to White Dwarf over the years. Ever since they got rid of articles that made it a valuable resorce for gaming, and turned it into a glossy advert with no real info in it I stoped buying it.
I havent lost all hope however and will definitly buy the WD with the Blood Angels codex update in it, because IMO this is what WD is about. Useful real information that can be used in games.

This 30%OFF WD sounds OK if you buy it, but will there be any other offers. I haveheard about special gaming days all month at GW centres from the website. This sounds like fun, may even turn up to some.

escape_dan
24-04-2007, 08:26
Lets hope they'll shock our socks off and maybe even do deals or a price reduction :-) Even for a day !!!

Im not so anti-GW but the price rises has stopped me from playing cause Im a poor music student whose money goes back into his car and musical supplies! (and beer!)

I love the whole background of GW from 40k to Fantasy! I even dont mind LOTR cause I was a big fan before the models came out lol.

Lets hope the 30th Anniversary will be a change in the right direction for us.

blongbling
24-04-2007, 09:29
the one thing i always found interesting was that all the vets always want more hobby articles, things that take it a bit further, explore more things, give alternate rules, etc...yet when GW used to make those type of magazines they had to be stopped due to noone buying them (Journal and Fanatic magazine anybody).........so it seems to me they made teh right decision by going more towards a magazine that supports what they are trying to sell rather than trying to fill space with articles noone wants

Brother Loki
24-04-2007, 11:20
I think that had more to do with the fact that at the time, WD was still worth buying most of the time, and most people didn't want to buy 2 or more GW magazines a month.