PDA

View Full Version : Iyanden without Wraithguard?

IAmJustMe
20-04-2007, 00:28
Been away from 40K and indeed GW for quite some time, but the Bonsinger model, on top so many other top-notch sculpts in the new Eldar range, got me interested in doing an Eldar army (my old favorite since 2nd edition) mostly just for the hobby aspect with maybe a game here and there. I love the fluff behind Prince Yriel and his model is quite nice, but I don't really want to do a Ghost Warrior army that is the typical Iyanden. Do you think it goes completely against fluff to field Iyanden with little or no Wraithguard? As far as Wraithlords, I only plan on getting one simply because (like so many other Eldar now) the model is *******' awesome. But, I don't care for Wraithguard at all model-wise.

I don't have the codex atm, but I was thinking of a 1500 point level with a base of 2 DA squads maxed out, Prince Yriel, a Farseer, 6 Rangers, Wraithlord, and then filling the rest as I see fit.

Feor
20-04-2007, 00:38
Not at all, and if anyone complains, just claim it's a pre-tyranid historical army.

Gutlord Grom
20-04-2007, 00:55
Yriel was a fleet commander before the Tyranid War on Iyanden. So you might just take the regular forces.

Plebian
20-04-2007, 03:24
Or say he's helping another craftworld out.....
or that hes ACTUALLY Prince Zriel from craftworld whatever with the same rules...
-Plebian

The Dude
20-04-2007, 03:36
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking ANY Craftworld with ANY combination of units available in the army list. All you have to do is say the Wraith units are engaged elsewhere, or the mission is important enough for them to commit live troops to.

40K scale games aren't big enough to include the kind of unit restrictions the old 3rd edition sub-lists imposed. The troops in your army have been selected from a VERY LARGE pool of resources to do a specific job, and if Wraith Units don't fit the bill, Eldar are certainly not stupid enough to commit them to the field just because they've got lots of them.

Zealot
20-04-2007, 04:49
You can always just say, "Hey, the Codex allows for this, so shut up!" or something similar. But if you are concerned about fluff , I would have to agree with what the others have said.

WLBjork
20-04-2007, 05:50
No, not at all. Just because Iyanden was almost wiped out doesn't mean there aren't some living beings left, and sometimes a Wraith Construct isn't capable of the delicacy required by the task at hand.

Griffin
20-04-2007, 09:06
Although it goes against my Idea of a Iyanden Ghostwarriors army you can - here are some suggestions based on their fluff:

Iyanden used to have the largest shrine to Asur of all the Craftworlds pre nid eating. Maby make them a staple of your troop choices.

Secondly for the fast slots I would consider using WarpSpiders as Iyanden has a Larger infinity circuit in comparison to other craft worlds - Thus there would be comparitively more of the little spiders that hunt invasive entities. I see them having spiders to mimick this policy of aggresive defence.

Heavy support - max your wraithlords - I like the Eldar Missile Launcher, Brightlance combo.

Lastly maby consider using some Wraithguard as your elites in Serpents so that you can bust tanks. Add a farseer as a secondry commander and you got a nice theme force that's pretty powerfull.

I only Play Iyanden Eldar when Fielding my Eldar - I love the fluff and the Wraithguard so go nuts, ultimately its up to you.

Lezta
20-04-2007, 09:28
Iyanden has to use wraith constructs. They have no choice. However, they will not use them unless they absolutely have to. It isn't something they do lightly. It's perfectly reasonable, fluffwise, that they're not fielding any in a particular battle (especially at the scale 40k is played in). You're more likely to see them in Iyanden than any other eldar force, but that isn't to say you're definatley going to see them.

Don't worry about it too much. Play what you want to play with, the codex lets you, the fluff lets you.

Malefactor
20-04-2007, 10:29
I am collecting an Iyanden army and i don't have any Wraithconstructs at all!

So you won't be the only one.

Griffin
20-04-2007, 10:49
Believe me when a squad of wraithguard erases a a bunch of termies from existance you will want to get some...

Overlord Krycis
20-04-2007, 11:16
Remember, you can field War-walkers too as I see Iyanden as having less troops (most will probably be Dire Avengers if anything) so the precious few Civilians would probably be put in vehicles.

Besides...it's your army dude. If you want an Iyanden army without Wraithguard, go for it!

Kahadras
20-04-2007, 13:08
I think it's fine. Just say your using the Iyanden army before they almost got wiped out by the Tyranids. Due to the fact that they were the most populated of the Eldar craftworlds I'd probably go for no Wraith constructs at all in your army (they don't need to use them).

Kahadras

Malefactor
20-04-2007, 13:35
If they made Plastic Wraithguard i'm sure i would conquer my aversion to them.

As it is i find the models too expensive and delicate.

Wraithbored
20-04-2007, 14:17
Like Kahadras and the others have put it forth just do your thing. Yes you can have Iyanden without constructs, but for me that's like Blood angels not being red, Thousand sons not having those egypt-like headdresses, Orks without gubbinz and so forth. But that's just my 2 cents(and yeah the models are murder on the wallet!)

Hulkster
20-04-2007, 14:21
they are not all dead, so why not

The Emperor
20-04-2007, 14:52
I don't see why people feel the need to make contortions to justify this. At the scale that 40k is played, any Craftworld can field any kind of force imagineable. Saying that Iyanden can't field a 40k force without Wraithguard is absolutely ridiculous. What, Iyanden doesn't have 50 or so warm bodies walking around? Ludicrous. Iyanden's down in numbers, yeah, and has to field large numbers of Wraithguard to fill out the numbers, but we're talking major conflicts, here. Epic is the place for those kinds of differences to start appearing. And even then, an average Epic army is still only a fraction of the kind of army that Iyanden still possesses.

Craftworlds aren't Space Marine Chapters, with just 1,000 guys. As far as I know, there're no real numbers on how many Eldar are on a Craftworld, but odds are the numbers are more in the million range then they are in the thousands. And even with all the casualties Iyanden's taken, it probably still has something in the neighborhood of several hundred thousand to a couple million Eldar. And that's more then enough to field any kind of Iyanden army you like, whether it be 40k or Epic.

ZiggyQubert
20-04-2007, 15:12
Hummm..... As an Iyanden player myself I've contemplated two fluffy armies with no wraith constructs -

1 - the pre tyranid invasion, either lots of guardians or lits of dier avengers.

2 - Yurials raiders, all aspect warriors led by pring Yurial himself, posibly the force he led during the tyranid invasion.

Darkhorse
20-04-2007, 16:06
Back in 2nd ed my Iyanden army was largely guardians, I did eventually put a squad of wraithguard in ( and even later a dread-as they were then) though guardians remained the basis of the force till it was abandoned in 3rd ed, shortly before the release of Craftworld Eldar.
In it's ultimate format I had 6 squads of guardians, 1 squad of wraithguard, 1 squad of firedragons, 1 squad of scorpions, Farseer, warlock, 2 Exarchs, Wraithlord, 1 squad of jetbikes, 1 squad of vypers, warwalker and falcon.

Captain Micha
20-04-2007, 18:08
As The Emperor said.. go for it.

you do not need to explain anything as far as I am concerned. It's Inyaden. Cool. they don't have any special rules anymore so go for it.

CryoMax
20-04-2007, 18:44
I've been debating building out an "Iyanden force" where anything that is a guardian or guardian-piloted (ie. vehicles) would be painted up in the pirate colors of Yriel; the Farseers, Warlocks and wraith constructs would be painted up as Iyanden. Aspect warriors would be aspect colored, with Iyanden details (tabards, etc)...

I think it could be an interest mix; Yriel supplying the manpower and mobility, Iyanden supplying the wise leaders and the wraith constructs.

Of course, that doesn't help you if what you really want is an army painted yellow & blue. ;)

...Paul