PDA

View Full Version : orks humor or none?

ghost21
20-04-2007, 05:09
hi there ive carried this from the 40k rumor thread as some of it seems to be just basicaly a wish list, has the book been writen? nobody seems to know mutch

ok do you like humorous orks or just like the space barbarians they are now? gentlemen and ladys please cast ye votes

Ktotwf
20-04-2007, 05:11
To me they need to be kind of both - barbaric (because the 40k universe is grim and emo) and funny (because they are so dumb and simple compared to the very dark and calculated Imperium, or the Eldar, etc etc.)

ghost21
20-04-2007, 05:12
ive enabled multiple casts for that reason

Outlaw289
20-04-2007, 05:20
A little bit of both. Barbaric in the sense they just kill and plunder, but humorous in the sense that they talk goofy and believe in all sorts of crazy superstitions that make them look like an exaggeration of human characteristics: Red wunz go fasta! comes to mind.

They need a simple-minded and humorous outlook, complete with wonky weapons, but they must also just exist for stompin' n' killin'

UncleCrazy
20-04-2007, 05:22
Thier humor has always came from the fact that they don't care who they fight, just so long as they are fighting.

WLBjork
20-04-2007, 05:47
I want real humour back in!

Orks with Shokk Attak guns, Lootaz with Kustom Kombi Weapons, Goffs that think they're the only "real" Orks - need I continue?

Ok, calmed down now - some of the old stuff was a little too wacky to be fair on the Ork player (or occasionally, their opponent!), but the idea of Waaaghs! being made up of representitives of several clans gave a little flavour which nowadays seems missing.

However, I'd rather see it explained as a mindset rather than a clan - makes more sense in that way as to how come there are so many Goffs around.

hush88
20-04-2007, 05:49
Most of the fluff that I have come across tends to portray orks in a humorous light. They live for the fight and they die fighting. The smartest (is there such a thing as a smart ork?) are usually the boss, simplily because they have some common sense and a bit of memory retention when they are in battle to remember what their objective was (which more often or not, who they can pick a fight with).

Bretagne
20-04-2007, 05:50
i dont understand. I voted as they are because when i think of clans, i think of the old immaculately painted, astro turf based, very un-Orky armies in the older editions. i wold prefer the orks to be dirty, rag tag, lunatics racing to bust some heads.

Hellebore
20-04-2007, 05:51
Humour, but black humour.

Gizgob ad is ed et by da gnasha squig hur hur!

Rather than purposefully crashing themselves into tanks or acting dumb.

Stupidity isn't something I want to see per se, willfully doing dangerous things yes, but scratching your head and chewing on a grenade no.

Hellebore

The Dude
20-04-2007, 06:03
Yes. They know what they're doing, they just don't care.

Magistrate
20-04-2007, 06:12
Ork 'humor' is another misconception everyone has about Orks. They aren't clowns or pranksters or anything obnoxious like that. What's 'ha ha funny' to us is brutally frightening to the enemies of those Orks. What's a 'silly contraption' to us is a step in the right direction for that Big Mek; it doesn't have to be sleek or efficient or make sense at all, as long as it does what it was intended to do -- almost always kill and destroy things and be the biggest and loudest one possible so he can stake his claim among their society. The view we are given of Orks is askewed at best. To that Imperial Guardsmen it's a 9ft. muscle laced raging green sociopathic monster trampling and maiming him to death.

Thank you The Dude and Hellebore for making that point; Orks aren't stupid. They're fiercely cunning and learn from every mistake made, permitting they survive it. They change and evolve and vary with indefinite possibilities. Combined with this, the ultimate scavengers and you have an enduring, bold race filled with endless tenacity. If they were idiotic ****** they would've died out by now. If you even bother ( which I doubt most people do on these forums.. ) to read up on Orks you'd know that they change, rapidly, just from experiences alone, not only mentally ( becoming immensely smarter and more cunning ) but physically as well, even from things as simple as an issued challenge. And underling attempting to usurp his Boss' place will undergo a change and put on more muscle and growth to prepare him for the challenge. More often then not a smart Warboss will nip that in the bud before it ever comes to fruitation.

And lastly, I quote;
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

One_Second_of_Insanity
20-04-2007, 07:03
i must agree orks arent stupid they just have alot of malfunctions i voted for clans with humour and keep the same because i think that the developers should strike a balance between 2nd and 3rd edition

oneman
20-04-2007, 07:42
Only needed one vote:-Clanz with Humour!

Like a lot of comedy,which often contains a 'victim',the humour comes from the perspective.

People who complain about Orky humour have too much angst so therefore can't be Orks,who know no such state,and as an Ork I can just ignore them and joyfully blow them sky-high,laughing the whole time!

general trooper
20-04-2007, 07:45
the only real humur orks can really do is.....for example the vidio for warhammer online where a orks sits in a catapult in the middle of a battle fires it, almost clears the castle walls and SPLAT!

The Dude
20-04-2007, 08:27
Just to go back to something hellebore said before

willfully doing dangerous things yes,

It got me thinking and it sort of made me think of Petey & Jaydee (http://www.momentumanimationstudios.com/). I see Orks as not really caring what happens to their mates, and laughing hysterically at a particularly amusing downfall.

To elaborate on what Magistrate said, it's sort of a Mob mentality. Orks, when amongst equals will be raucous and jovial, showing off to impress each other with more and more daring and dangerous behaviour. This is where we see the “comedy” aspects.

To their Superiors however, they will be submissive (for fear of a good kicking), at least as long as they remain on uneven footing.

The more sinister side of Ork mentality comes out once They get the insiration to "climb the ladder" as it were. They will either gain the respect of their superior, kill him, or die at his hands.

Knowing there’s a thousand other Boyz out there ready to stick a Choppa in your ‘ead will ensure that you keep a tight leash on them through various acts of brutality.

OrlyggJafnakol
20-04-2007, 08:33
I am voting for humour with klans... I have always missed the crazy, almost mad max in style vehicles and such.

Ronin_eX
20-04-2007, 08:35
Humor and clans all the way. I want to eventually see my over the top Bad Moonz idea come to fruition damn it! :D

Promethius
20-04-2007, 08:56
Got to be humour and clans. Orks aren't the same without bizarre weapons that malfunction (the amazing shokk attack gun) or mindless stupidity combined with brutality.

Minister
20-04-2007, 10:54
Deff Squadron type humour. Over the top, explosions everywhere, mass casualties, implausable technology and talking funny.

The clan system should remain, in my opinion, an option. Give clan lists in the style of the White Dwarf article, but don't have the 2nd edition situation of every single Kommando mob being Blood Axe.

paddyalexander
20-04-2007, 11:17
Dark humor is ok.

I don't like the idea of Orks being stupid. Orks are capable of running militery campaigns on a system wide scale, they can construct space craft, titans & tanks out of what other races throw away.

Where dark humor comes in is the abuse of grots, weapons that are as dangerous to the boyz as to their opponents & the Orks non-fear of death resulting in friendly accidents.

I don't want to see a return of stuff like goff rockers & weapons that are so dangerous to the user that they're not worth taking, the kustom mega blaster on buggies in the current 'dex would be a good example of this.

Wraithbored
20-04-2007, 11:18
I'd say Ork with humour, ork humour namely being black humour with accents and of course Orks with odd weapons that only they can get to work. Orks need the red paint jobs, the shokk attack gunz, pulsa rokkits, telescopic joints, cyborks, squigs of all shapes and sizes, etc.

Ork humour bassically is tieing up a hapless prisoners to a tree by their legs and betting on how far the body will fly after they chop it's head off with such velocity that the body will fly off(the body doesn't fly but the Orks still think it's funny).

Dribble Joy
20-04-2007, 11:28
There's a difference between being a clown and having a dark homourous side.

As much as Orks are barbaric (note that the origins of the word are highly subjective and self-assuming) and war-like, they have fun doing so.

I don't really want top hats, silly faces and the like, but nor do I want expressionless, boring, mindless monsters.

Savage and brutal, but with crazy weapons/contraptions that occationally blow up.

niknokitueu
20-04-2007, 11:43
Having been unable to decide on any particular poll option, I will just state this:

Orks are fun. Orks have fun. Orkish humour is a very dark form of humour.

Orks are fun: You get to speak like a brain-damaged thug. Indeed, in order to describe many items of wargear you have to speak like a brain damaged thug. You get to roll an insane number of dice, and cause a miniscule amount of casualties. You get to make lots of crazy konvershuns (indeed you are forced to do so). Each Ork army feels unique.

Orks have fun: No time for idle chatter, no pondering over whether they have done the right thing, Orks fight, and enjoy fighting. It is what they were born to do, and what they do well. Theirs is a life of simple pleasures. Hacking, killing, maiming. Firing gunz that go 'Boom'. As stated, a life of simple pleasures.

Orkish humour is dark: You get to laugh as your models die by the drove. You take things down by sheer weight of numbers. You take on any opponent, and can win. Orks die by enemy shooting, their own shooting, enemy assault (hey, you have a CC-based army that loses lots of models in CC), vehicles malfunctioning, etc. but they keep on coming, and keep on coming back.

I hope all these remain in the new codex (due out soon, honest :D).

I love playing Orks. I wish I could play them a tad better, or that footsloggers were a tad more competative, but even when I lose all those games in a row, Orks are still fun.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Onisuzume
20-04-2007, 18:38
Humour above all.
Battles are meant to be fun; and if it's fun to play/playing-against an army; it's an success.
*Tries to remember the days of madboyz and weirdboyz but can't because he hasn't played for that long*

Ofcourse, it would be nice if clans are in.

It might even mean that my 40 grots, 20 or so orks and my cardboard dreadnought will finaly get to see the light of day!

WLBjork
20-04-2007, 18:48
Who can forget the lovable quote from Gorkamorka? (Paraphrased below)

"Boss I fink I lost me arm."
"What d'yer mean, yer fink yer've lost it?"
"Well, it's not on me shoulder and none of the ovver ladz 'ave seen it."
"I don't know, I turn round fer a minute and yer start losing fings. Well, yer've got two choices, go an' see the Doc or go wivvout."
*Ork remembers another Ork that went to the Docs for a new leg and came back with a new, improved squig brain implant.*
"Er, I fink I'll be OK wivvout it Boss. Squeeze through narrer gaps, lighter on me feet an' that sort of fing"

jfrazell
20-04-2007, 18:52
I want real humour back in!

Orks with Shokk Attak guns, Lootaz with Kustom Kombi Weapons, Goffs that think they're the only "real" Orks - need I continue?

Ok, calmed down now - some of the old stuff was a little too wacky to be fair on the Ork player (or occasionally, their opponent!), but the idea of Waaaghs! being made up of representitives of several clans gave a little flavour which nowadays seems missing.

However, I'd rather see it explained as a mindset rather than a clan - makes more sense in that way as to how come there are so many Goffs around.

Excellent. It was the wacky weaponry and background that always appealed to me about the orks. Frankly I saw them a lot more when their list was better vs. whatever addition. Bring back a rock hard list and they will come.

carl
20-04-2007, 21:22
want to see the funny orks of 2nd ed that i hear so much about come back.

And yes Orks ARE stopid. Thats the point of old Ghazakskull. He's the only Ork with the brains to understand and use advanced tactics. the tactics of your average ork are at heart:

Land on the planet by any means necessery.
Find sumat to kill
kill it
repeat add infunitum, bragging to your mates as you go

to me orks are about the equivelent of 10 year old kids with guns on hallucanagenics. Absolutly crazy with no common sense and a lot of ways of causing mayhem.

Since their their crazy those methods of mayhem are crazy, and since they have lethal instruments often fatal. Add to that their natrual instictive desire to fight sumat and you have tottally crazy, but very dangerous fighters, theyr'e not really botherd if they die or not, so long as they get to kill sumat as they die.

SO I want to see as many of the crazy weapons back and all kinds of malfunction tables, and unruly behaviour affects.

In the end an army that only occashionlly does what you tell it to do and reguarly does exactly what you don't expect. But also does exactly what your opponnetn dosen't expect.

mjc1000
20-04-2007, 22:48
i think they are all of them:D

lanrak
20-04-2007, 23:23
Hi all.
I think the misconception that orks were the 'clowns ' of 2nd ed was more to do with the way the models were sculpted and painted by GW.
Asthetic representation of a race does influence our perceptions of a fictional culture more than words written on a page.
You could interprit 'Ork Speak' as an indication of lack of intelect.
But I prefer to think of it as a representation of the lack of verbal communication required by a psychicaly gifted, and physicaly impressive and impressed race.

Why would Orks need as wide a vocabulary when most communication is simple body language.(I imagine Orks get hit a lot , thats a simple as body language gets,LOL.).
As a race they appear to have no inhibitions what so ever,and a strong sense of purpose.
The little voice inside our heads that screams 'NO,NO FOR GODS SAKE NO!!!'
Doesnt seem to be present in Orks.
They only appear to have a limited sense of association.
'Jus cos Gubnaz got blown to bits when using a rokkit pak, dont mean I gonna get blown ta bitz.Da mekboy sez its a new betta wun.'

I think that is the reason Orks were so popular in 2nd ed.
Orks did all the things we WANT to see happen, but dare NOT do ourselves.

As reguard to the Orks in 4th ed codex.I would like them to be single mindedly malicious and unpredictable.
In short brutal and menacing ,but chaotic in an entertaining way.
We all can have a chukkle at somone elses misfortunes, and ork inventions are guarenteed to bring misfortune to someone,wether its the Ork or thier foes...

Any how while pondering the possible removal of the Klan traits.
How about a 'army list' that could represent 'kultural Influenz'.
Using approriate ork glyphs ,to represent 'Kulture influenz',

'Evil-ution' glyphs.
Tusk(???) glyph to denote feral influence.
Spanner(Tek?) glyph to denote technological influence.

Fighting style glyphs.
Gun(Dakka?) glyph to denote favoring shooting.
Axe(Snik?) glyph to denote favoring close combat.

So the Ork player can select a single glyph to give 'minor' advantages to some units/options ,and 'minor' restictions to other units /options.

And if the Ork player selects a combination of evilution glyph and fighting style glyph , they get major advantages to some units /options
and major restrictions on other units options.

So there is a basic list with basic options for units.And specific units get enhancements dependant on the glyphs selected.(And some units are restricted adccordingly.)

Just an idea...

TTFN
Lanrak.

nanktank
21-04-2007, 04:03
I would really love to see the clans make a comeback officially. I am sick of the orks being the dark gothic brutes who eat babies they have become. Bring back weirdboyz, and mad boys just a thought on how they could work, roll a dice consult a table and they could have a different universal special rule applied to them every turn. Shokk attack guns are most welcome in my books, and wild boyz, and squig Katapults, bring it all back.

sliganian
21-04-2007, 04:07
What I want as a non-Ork player to see? The Orks to be terrrifying.

Sure, yeah, have a laugh. But to me, what we as with the 'players eye view' of the entire 40K universe miss is how bloody terrifying an Ork Waaaagh is supposed to to the average Imperial citizen or soldier.

Orks are the ancient fear of The Other. The pirate raiders who drop from nowhere and burn your village down and slaughter your loved ones, for the sheer sake of the fact that they CAN do it.

For reference, please watch the movie 'Serenity' and pay attention to the portrayal of The Reavers. THEY embody a critical aspect of Orks (IMO) that is currently absent (or largely absent).

oneman
21-04-2007, 16:12
I think a large part of the humour that us old guys miss isn't the on-table madness.It's the amount of fun background that was created.Other than the Imp.,which we can identify with because we're human,the Orks had the most detailed background and kultur which had to be created from scratch.

I miss the way Runtherdz were a major part of Ork ecology,breeding squigs to fill many roles including technical ones(go oil-squigz!).Brewerz and Yellaz had no role in battle,they just fought as boyz,but made the race 'fuller'.

Orks were the most complete 40K race and half of the humour was off-table but affected how the player role-played on-table.

Coasty
21-04-2007, 16:37
I have a Squig-breeding program set up, and a couple of Grotz selling them for teef. Not sure why the Boyz don't just eat the Grot and the Squig, but I'll figure something out...

TheOTHERmaninblack
21-04-2007, 22:40
I want both Klanz and humor back for the same basic reasons I play orks; orks have fun. They're the only army in the whole 40K universe that does. No dark onus, no religious dogma, no doomed society, just good wholesum krumpin' fun!

And unlike some posters and at least one DM I once played under, humorous /= stoopid!

Because they're so resilient, orks don't have the same fears we do, nor the same sort of self preservation instincts. I remember a snippet from the Armageddon website about an ork head laying on a gangway in an imperial tank factory during a viscious battle for control of the facility. The head was ruminating approvingly on how the battle was going and wondering if any of the ladz would find him soon, since a boy could only last half an hour or so without a body. To an ork, getting blown to bitz isn't necessarily the sort of life ending event it is to a human. That, combined with their drive to fight for it's own sake tends to make them substantially less cautious than the average guardsman. An ork could well blow himself up and have a laugh at it while he waits for the ladz to find his head and nail it onto some sort of body.

Consequently, a weapon that occasionally blew the odd boy up wouldn't have the same deterrent effect it would have, say, in an eldar force. And there's where the wackiness originates.

I can see a boy trying to nail another boy'z severed 'ead to a 'umie body, thinking it a great jest to stick the "wounded" boy on such a weedy frame, only to be very puzzled when the serjery doesn't work.

Commissar Rowe
22-04-2007, 02:10
Bring on the Wierdboyz and thier Minderz...

Orky Humour FTW...

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 03:18
Imho you need the mix, the orks would just not have the same kooky appeal to them if they lost one of thoes elements.

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 04:38
hi there ive carried this from the 40k rumor thread as some of it seems to be just basicaly a wish list, has the book been writen? nobody seems to know mutch

ok do you like humorous orks or just like the space barbarians they are now? gentlemen and ladys please cast ye votes

I liked the old days when they were both, comedy and serious, with clans such as the Goffs, Bad Moons and the Speed Freakz one.

fwacho
23-04-2007, 09:09
I would like to see an ork clan system done the way eldar were done. oh yes... and leave in humor. just add in a few extra good things to go with the bad. ("oops sorry mate" rule balanced by a "no cookpot for you, tonight" rule) Randomized bad things need only to be balanced out by randomized good things. Ie. your looted tank might explode, or it might get an extra shot or increased BS for a turn. you might loose your grot riggas in an accident or get and extra 3" move. yes it woud slow the game down but it would make it more fun.

Oh yeah.. I acttually use the custom mega blastas in my army.. (a dread with em and a buggie as well) I roll alot of ones so they haven't been fairing to well. as of late. on plus side, my orks are 2-1-0. thats amazing.

Bran Dawri
23-04-2007, 11:03
I like stupid, humorous orks.

From what I understood of orky psychology, orks are indeed incredibly stupid, according to human standards; they understand warfare and campaigning and technology instictively, not consciously, and although those instincts can be honed by experience, they'll still run afoul of this instinctual behaviour where simple common sense would see a human do something much effective.

(And conversely, they should instinctively get right some things that more intelligent races don't.)

Their technology, as far as I know, works similarly, and often only functions in the hands of an ork because he *believes* it works (even though it would be physically impossible for it to work).