PDA

View Full Version : So, why do you colect Warhammer 40k

Storm Ghost
20-04-2007, 17:06
Is it because, you like the models and just purely collect or do you buy the minatures to power game and try to win every battle you face meeting your enemy head on. I personally collect the models because they look very cool and the fluf is very interesting and in depth. I do a bit of gaming but not a lot, I'm not very good.

So, why do you collect warhammer 40k?

Coasty
20-04-2007, 17:14
I hate to say it, but I got interested in Beakies when I was about 11 (didn't everybody?) but then decided that Cadians were much better. Then, of course, Da Boyz got revamped...been charging sentient killer 'shrooms around the galaxy on and off ever since.

AlphaLegionMarine
20-04-2007, 17:18
Sci Fi, Guns mostly Heavy Weapons and sneaky marines.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
20-04-2007, 17:20
Is it because, you like the models and just purely collect or do you buy the minatures to power game and try to win every battle you face meeting your enemy head on.
are those our only options? :rolleyes:

my primary reason is to use as gaming pieces: i collect what i need to build my army list(s). i could buy things just because i thought they looked cool (etc) as well, but as theres already so much i want that i will actually use, thats unlikely to happen (unless i see something really cheap).

~ Tim

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
20-04-2007, 17:27
I love sci-fi ground-based war.

I love dark bleak futuristic stuff.

I love evil robots that wear there victims flesh.

and most importantly : IT INSPIRES ME!

Storm Ghost
20-04-2007, 17:29
are those our only options?
:rolleyes:

Nah, there are thousands of reasons, just could only be bothered to type them.
I think painting is all so a big reason, I love to just sit in my room with some music playing in the background painting some kick-ass model!

Bookwrak
20-04-2007, 17:48
:rolleyes:

Nah, there are thousands of reasons, just could only be bothered to type them.:rolleyes:
You get out what you take the effort to put in.

I like playing the game. Playing the game takes models. I likd doing conversions. That also requires models.

dblaz3r
20-04-2007, 17:54
I collect 40k because the models are dope, the background compels me to read more, the game rules and painting is very soothing.

Democratus
20-04-2007, 18:03
I collect the models because it's required to play. I paint the models because it's required to compete.

If the models came pre-painted, I would be much happier.

Captain Micha
20-04-2007, 18:28
no. trust me demo.. prepainted = bad idea. I used to think the way you did until I played Mage Knight...

Democratus
20-04-2007, 18:46
Yeah. You're probably right. It just that I am not a talented artist - and yet my ranking in a tournament may be affected by how well my minis are painted. It's frustrating.

AlphaLegionMarine
20-04-2007, 18:55
I feel your pain. Im not the greatest painter either. What is high light and shading again? I've also painted hundreds of minis and I still can't get it down.

LessThanSimple
20-04-2007, 19:12
I collect the models because it's required to play. I paint the models because it's required to compete.

If the models came pre-painted, I would be much happier.

No way, pre-painted miniatures are a terrible idea. They would totally destroy the quality of the game IMO.

The miniatures are what caught my eye. Then I discovered the game, and finally the background material. The miniatures and the background keep me going more than the gaming though. Around here there are no gaming groups that I know of and gaming in the official GW stores is okay, but not fantastic.

Light of the Emperor
20-04-2007, 19:34
I am more of a collector/painter than a gamer. I don't play as much as I did in the beginning. Instead, I try to improve my painting and modelling abilities.

I agree with LessThanSimple on pre painted minis too.

Madfool2
20-04-2007, 20:03
I brought an Eldar jetbike.

And now i've only just got 1000pts of the pointy ears.

Gutlord Grom
20-04-2007, 20:13
Because I enjoy playing the game. Now, I don't mind losing, but after 50+ losses it tend s to get a little annoying, but meh.

I love painting Matrines. I don't do it well, but I find it hard to paint anything else.

Another thing is when veteran hobbyists tell me that when I lose a game, there's really nothing I did wrong.

grg3d
20-04-2007, 20:13
Because Shoots and Ladders just lost all the excitement it once held for me :p

Really though itís the figures for me as I only ever get a game in once in a great while now, I have moved away from the gaming group I used to play in, looking in my area now for a new place to play

Zealot
20-04-2007, 20:40
I enjoy Warhammer 40k mainly because it is what you make of it. The focus can be a game, it can be a collection, and it can be an art project--painting, modelling, and writing. You can invest fortunes in it, or... well, just a small fortune if you're lucky. You can make up your own stories, your own characters, and your own worlds and experience these things with finely/crappily/non painted miniatures. What's not to love?

xibo
20-04-2007, 20:47
I collect the miniatures, including WHFB, because I am obsessed. I don't like playing 40k but still do so in order to know what units actually are effective ( some people often come to me asking for tactics ), but in fact collect minis because I like them or convert them to something i like.
I also like the fluff but usually create my own one ( not such a problem as my main army is the Guard and there are billions of planets in the imperium of man )

I got, however, promoted in rank: once I was GW obsessed, now I'm FW POssessed :D

Cirenivel
20-04-2007, 20:59
I'm a gamer at heart, and it's mostly the gaming aspect of the hobby that attracts me. Sure, painting can be soothing sometimes, in good company, but sometimes I find it's getting frustrating not to get that paint where I want it. And then I will go and play some games for a while and getting the agression level down, before I will start painting again. It's a roller-coaster:p

Cirenivel

electricblooz
20-04-2007, 21:04
I'm a painter plain and simple. In fact, when I enter local Rogue Trader, etc. tournies, I often hear people mumble that their chance of winning the painting prize walked out the door when I walked in. By the same token, people want to play me because they enjoy sitting across the table from a well painted army and because, frankly, I'm a easy win. When I play, I get so distracted by other well done armies, interacting with people, eating lunch, etc. that I make really bonehead mistakes.

(If ever I wanted to pad my post count here, all I would need to do is start a "what's the biggest mistake you've made in a game thread." I could take a thread like that to three pages by myself.)

Anyway, I really like 40k figs. In my mind there are no better sci-fi sculpts out there and GW is only getting more skilled and dynamic with their models. Yeah, I know that some people complain about GW's ridiculously large heads or hands, but when you get right down to it, their figures stand head an shoulders above many of the other lines (at the moment). Sure there are a few independant sculptors out there who are doing incredible work (as I type this the Avatars of War add is flashing in my face:D ), but in terms of quality to output ratios - their stuff just rocks. The only thing that keeps me from upgrading to FW is cost; if I could afford it I surely would have a complete DKOK army, but that's another issue.

victorpofa
20-04-2007, 23:01
I started figuring that I could use the minis for RPGs if I did not like the game. Especially marines. They make good Coalition Grunts :)

I enjoy painting and modeling, but doing squads of troops at a time makes it a chore sometimes. I was reminded how much I have come to enjoy painting when I took a break from troops and painted a Dreadnought. One piece rather than 10 identical pieces that I could take my time with and do some decent detail work on.

fenrisbrit
20-04-2007, 23:14
For me it is a host of things. I think there are better rules systems out there but none that has the support of such a large following, such good miniatures and such a well structured support to the customer. Wherever I go (and I travel a lot) I can find a store and a game and, of course, there is a large internet community too.

wingedserpant
21-04-2007, 00:24
To get out of the headlock...

Eniac
21-04-2007, 00:29
Habit. Started when I was a wee-un over 12 years ago and is like breathing. Comes naturally.

Rascal
21-04-2007, 00:41
The diversity ..

I have always been about painting models but recently started playing. I enjoy it and it has prompted me to develop my 2nd army (Entire CC Nid force - completely different to my 3000pts of Marines),

The range of models are fantastic (incl Fantasy and LOTR). Wehn I get bored of painting Marines or Nids I have often painted othe models for the sake of it (have a squad of dark elf executioners with Morathi on cold one, Tau crisis suit, several Chaos characters, various LOTR models, etc). I have almost finished painting some LOTR models for another table top war game system called 'Chess'.

Terrain creation is another aspect which is creative, challenging and cost effective. Built some nice statues the other by gluing some old marines (the static 'on parade' models) to the tops of 4 columns (cake decorations - $0.50 each). looks good.

The converting of models is great. Conversations can alsorange fomr simply changing a weapon, adding wargear, to totally redesigning the models pose, features etc. My winged tyrant is definately the centrepiece of the nid force

Game is great and not too complex for a newcomer (though a standard game at my place lasts all afternoon due to the frequent visit to the rule book.

Fantastic online resources and forums.

Just my bit .. enjoy

mistformsquirrel
21-04-2007, 00:50
While I'll admit 'collect' isn't quite the word I'd use for myself - (I'd love to get more stuff, but... well there's always that darn money thing! Hah)

That said - I love the background. I think the models are fantastic too.

But you know what really puts it over the top? The one thing that really cemented my love for 40k more than any other tabletop wargame I've ever seen?

I love how they really incentivize making your own fluff. Sure you can be Dark Angels or Ultramarines, Or Cadians or Death Korps of Krieg, or a Tau cadre...

But you can also use say... Blood Angels rules to spawn your own successor chapter - or even if you want, go so far as to create a totally original chaper.

Perhaps your Death Company doesn't lose it because of the Black Rage, but are penitents who at one point or other strayed from your ultra-strict chapter's teachings. Their zeal to find absolution drives them on to feats beyond normal marines.

Or, perhaps you want to play a unit of Gue'la working with the Tau - or even a fringe group so far from the Imperium that they remain relatively independent, trading with xenos openly.

You could, if you wanted, make a Chaos force without any of the "spiky bits" and "evil' stuff - and intead focus maybe on the positive aspects of a given chaos god.

For instance: Khorne, not as a god of bloodlust and slaughter - but as a god of martial honor and prowess, or Tzeentch as a god of learning and strategy; how about Nurgle as a protector figure, keeping his chosen safe from the rot and decay of the rest of the galaxy? One could model a surprisingly clean looking Chaos army I bet. What about Slaaneshi daemons that appear to mortals as angels would?

I grant you, all that I'm saying is the 'fringe area' stuff - ya know, its not necessarily in the current fluff - but the hobby itself encourages your own personal touches and additions to the universe, and thats what I love about it really.

I like that my Grey Knights aren't even a part of the Imperium, but instead the royal guards of one of the two lost Pimarchs, who happens to be queen over a domain on the eastern fringe with an uneasy peace with the Tau. I like that my Imperial Guard will someday be an army of zealots and fanatics, charging toward Terra to free the Emperor from his ten-thousand year imprisonment, inspiring entire planetary populations to fight with nothing but their tools and bare hands if necessary.

Sure it doesn't /really/ apply... but it makes a good story, I guess thats the point really <._.> They gave you an absolutely delicious backdrop you can do an enormous amount with, and still maintain the flavor and intent of the background.

<3

cinera
21-04-2007, 00:53
my friend bought a lord of the rings box, i thought they looked really cool, so i got a uruk box and a captain, then i discovered 40k on the website... i still havnt learnt how to play lotr...

Rascal
21-04-2007, 01:32
my friend bought a lord of the rings box, i thought they looked really cool, so i got a uruk box and a captain, then i discovered 40k on the website... i still havnt learnt how to play lotr...

Truly beautiful in the simplicty!

BrotherMoses
21-04-2007, 02:35
I got into the game at first because I wanted to learn to paint D&D miniatures and I thought painting a tac squad would be great practice. Then I read up on the background and saw pictures of armies on tables and love the idea. I realized that valor in combat has always inspired me. Simply, one man's sacrifice for mankind is a great idea. I mean, currently, you can fight for your country. Thats small potatoes. Fighting for the entire human race. Now THATS inspiring. I'm buying/painting Blood Angels now because Space Marines are awesome, "cheap", and are said to be the easier army to paint for someone like me with no painting experience.

I could see myself one day doing an Imperial Guard army. When a Space Marine valiantly fights in combat against the horrors of the universe it is valourous, but seeing the Guardsmen lay down there lives for the Emperor is the true display of valour. May the Emperor watch over all brave Guardsmen.

RavenMorpheus
21-04-2007, 05:09
Is it because, you like the models and just purely collect or do you buy the minatures to power game and try to win every battle you face meeting your enemy head on. I personally collect the models because they look very cool and the fluf is very interesting and in depth. I do a bit of gaming but not a lot, I'm not very good.

Because I don't have a whingeing moneygrabbing girlfriend, because I don't go to the pub and get drunk every night, because it's theraputic, because I've been playing the game/painting the miniatures for 15 years.

Eniac
21-04-2007, 09:00
Because I don't have a whingeing moneygrabbing girlfriend, because I don't go to the pub and get drunk every night, because it's theraputic, because I've been playing the game/painting the miniatures for 15 years.

Whoa! calm down lad, save some for the enemy ;)

Hellebore
21-04-2007, 09:17
Miniature wargaming is the only medium I know of where you can have a physical representation of your favourite characters from a universe you like and use them in games or reenactments of their stories.

I love the 40k universe, and owning the miniatures gives me a tangible expression of it. I am also big on converting and modelling my own miniatures.

Hellebore

Carlos
21-04-2007, 12:17
To me 40K is just a more in-depth version of Chess and I love both. I hate painting but love playing.