PDA

View Full Version : Shooty Empire=boring?

Freakiq
21-04-2007, 01:01
I've recently started empire and bought the Army Deal today. I'm thinking of doing a shooty Nuln list with Morr knights and gennerally a dark theme. Now I've played against a few shooty dwarf and high elf armies and found it to be extremely boring, all you have to do is march forward and be lucky with your panic tests. :eyebrows:

How would I go about doing an Empire list with havy firepower without making every game just about rolling dice and my enemy moving forward and taking armour
saves? :confused:

Btw, all knight horses included had exactly the same pose and the same head, arn't there supposed to be at least two different variations on head and body? :wtf:

Bretagne
21-04-2007, 01:08
the empire has alot of things to choose from. while having a theme for your army is alot of fun, restricting yourself in terms of models can get old fast, especially when you play alot of games. have you ever thought about doing an undead empire army? combine the state troops with skeletons and zombies it looks awesome. a friend of mine did this, and played every other game as empire and the rest as vampire counts.

scatterlaser
21-04-2007, 02:07
How would I go about doing an Empire list with havy firepower without making every game just about rolling dice and my enemy moving forward and taking armour saves? :confused:
Take more HtH troops and less shooting, basically. You can still include a decent amount of firepower to support the rest of your army without it turning into a stand-still-and-shoot-fest.

Archaon
21-04-2007, 03:49
How would I go about doing an Empire list with havy firepower without making every game just about rolling dice and my enemy moving forward and taking armour

Short answer? You can't..

Longer answer.. there is not really an in between for empire shooting. It is either supporting or dominant. Anything in between is just a waste of points because you are unlikely do as much damage as a pure gunline and you have too few points for units that can take a good charge.

You go medium shooting and you'll present many meaty targets for fast enemy units or knights because even a charge by a mediocre unit has good chances of routing your shooters.

So save yourself the trouble and build a balanced list where you actually get to play with the army instead of just lining up the units and rolling dice hoping you do enough damage on time.

Green-Knight
21-04-2007, 04:55
want a good shooty empire army that takes skill?

fill out ur special with nothing but pistoleers/outriders.

dont even bother with handgunners, lol. :)

Vattendroppe
21-04-2007, 07:59

That depends on what your idea of shooting is. If it is a gunline, then the answer is short and easy. You can't. It's impossible, boring to play WITH and certainly boring to play AGAINST. Plus, people WILL hate you for making a gunline.

There are ofcourse other lists that aren't gunlines, but still can be considered rather shooty. As spoken, empire have a great variety of different units to chose from, use some of them. Some supporting knightssome blocks of infantry and for the shooty part, maybe 20 handgunners, 20 crossbowmen and 1-2 cannons. So sure one can go shooty, but don't over do it. Overdoing it also means taking away the fun parts of WHFB :)

shutupSHUTUP!!!
21-04-2007, 08:04
You can field a unit or two of handgunners, some pistoliers and artillery and still have plenty points left over for choppy units. The real trick is planning a battle line that won't fold against quick/powerful enemy units.

Since when did nuln only field gunlines anyway? Yes they make artillery but they probably have as many melee state troops as anybody else.

Khorne warrior
22-04-2007, 03:55
Basically, what I did in my army was 25 Handgunners, Cannon, Mortar, Volley gun. 14 Knights, Greatswords, Swordsmen with a Captain, Spearmen and 2 Wizards. Tell me if you think this is a stupid army for 1500 points from the look of it please.

reefclaw
22-04-2007, 09:21
i think it could kick ass and i hope those 25 hg ain't 1 big unit

shutupSHUTUP!!!
22-04-2007, 09:27
You could take the knights down to 9 and buy a detachment for your spearmen.

Jonahmaul
22-04-2007, 13:28
Not only does shooting empire = boring, it = no fun to play with or against. Doing a themed army is a brilliant idea & Nuln are known for making artillery but that doesn't mean you have to kit it out completely with guns. Maybe take an extra Mortar/Cannon than you'd normally use but there's no reason not to have a fair number of state troops, knights etc.

scarletsquig
22-04-2007, 15:45
Btw, all knight horses included had exactly the same pose and the same head, arn't there supposed to be at least two different variations on head and body? :wtf:
Yeah, sounds like you got pretty unlucky there.

Jonahmaul
22-04-2007, 15:49
Phone GW & complain about it, apparently they're really good when there's mistakes in packaging & likely to send you a new box of knights & let you keep the ones you already have.