PDA

View Full Version : The most different than codex chapter?

MrPickles
21-04-2007, 17:06
Out of the poll choices, which is the most diveregent from the codex? I am going to have to say Black Templars on this one. 20 man space marine squads, Emperor's Champion, special rule that rushes you towards the enemy, special rule that makes you hit +3 in melee, and so forth. What do you think?

the1stpip
21-04-2007, 17:11
Space Wolves. Nuff said I think.

Assuming you mean loyal chapters, otherwise something like Red Corsairs, but thats being silly...

Corrupt
21-04-2007, 17:18
The Wolves of Fenris by far.
Scouts arn't trainee's, but marines who are "too ard" for power armour.
New marines are nutters with swords who cant wait to close with the enemy.
Promotion is based on hair colour and canines length.
Packs, which are slowly wiped out and never replenished instead of tactical squads.

Takitron
21-04-2007, 17:27
Space Wolves, hands down. They dont believe in the codex, and they are still Legion sized.

WoW_Auron
21-04-2007, 17:31
Space wolves, no competition.

Dreachon
21-04-2007, 17:33
why did you even put DA and BA in it, they follow the codex astartes just like the others.
SW are the main ones, Russ simply said **** to the codex astartes and did things his own way.

Kerflunc
21-04-2007, 17:41
i said SW but templars are close cause they don't fallow the codex either.

2_heads_talking
21-04-2007, 17:49
why did you even put DA and BA in it, they follow the codex astartes just like the others.
SW are the main ones, Russ simply said **** to the codex astartes and did things his own way.

He'll have put them in because they do divert from the traditional "Codex" chapter, though not as badly as the Space Wolves and Black Templars do.

For example, Dark Angels with their First Company being ALL Termintors (traditional chapters can have Terminator squad or veteran squads) and their second company being all vehicle-mounted.

In the same vein, the Blood Angels use the Death Company, which is not available to traditional chapters. They also use the Baal, which diverts from their fellow chapters.

But I'd have to say the Space Wolves as well, there's no contest. :)

Nebelung_13
21-04-2007, 17:51
the most divergent are space wolves, they have improper use of geneseed (canine growth) they use non-codex astartes vehicles (leman russ exterminator)
they have a 13th great companies, so the are companies bigger then standard and they are 13 in number.They carry a bitter grudge towards the Dark Angels ,every kind of special infantry and characters are special in some way.Bottom line: they don't practice the codex astartes , and they have improper use of geneseed and cultivate non-flexible way of thinking.
Black tem,plars donīt pratice the Codex has well, but i have chosen the Space wolves over the black templar because the amount non-codex astartes and improper use of geneseed Vs black tempalrs non-codex but near mint condition geneseed said to be one of the purest. space wolves win in divergencie 2-1

Worsle
21-04-2007, 17:56
The iron hands should get a mention, while chapter sized they work as 10 clan companies each one recruiting its own men with the terminator suits split between them all given to a few members and being ruled by a council rather than a chapter master.

Nebelung_13
21-04-2007, 18:03
The iron hands should get a mention, while chapter sized they work as 10 clan companies each one recruiting its own men with the terminator suits split between them all given to a few members and being ruled by a council rather than a chapter master.

yeah, they should.come to think of it the way they operate is weird and their way of thinking is even weirder ,i mean craving for bionics is just damn weird :wtf: .They Deserve a place in the poll ,no question about it.

Kerflunc
21-04-2007, 18:39
come to think of it the iron hands should be up there using iron fathers instead of chaplians and captians spliting the termies up and no scout company makes them pretty different.

Stella Cadente
21-04-2007, 20:04
I would say the honorable and noble Space wolves

Darkhorse
21-04-2007, 21:03
Spacewolves/ 13th Co.
Leman russ tanks, random terminators, wolves, Iron priests in the "Normal" list... Werewolves in the alternative. Where's their copy of the Codex Astartes? The dog ate it!

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
21-04-2007, 22:45
I voted Space Wolves but to be honest - WHITE SCARS should be mentioned also :!:

Penguin of Death
22-04-2007, 01:02
Bearded, beer drinking, rule breaking Space Vikings!

followed by the slightly deranged cyborgs with the shiny appendages

freebooter
22-04-2007, 01:17
Space Puppies...

'Nuff said.

victorpofa
22-04-2007, 03:23
No question the Space Wolves. Their recruits are assault troops, their scouts are special forces, they do not use bikes or jump packs much (thanks to 3rd edition), their chaplain is also the apothecary, their librarian is a shaman, their tech marine makes rune armor and weapons, their Terminator trained troops can lead squads or act as bodyguards, they allow ancient Dreadnoughts to command troops, their oldest member was part of Russ' bodyguard and met the Emperor, they use a now rare variant of the Leman Russ tank good for killing troops, and they are still a legion. Oh, and some of the nuttier members become werewolves :)

No other chapter compares with their level of divergence from the Codex Astartes (which was likely used by Russ to wipe his bottom).

22-04-2007, 04:37
black templar book was a cut and paste from codex space mairines...add two or three special rules.... I was very disapointed...I guess thats one reason I havn't got dark angel codex...dont want to be disapointed.

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 04:40
Out of the poll choices, which is the most diveregent from the codex? I am going to have to say Black Templars on this one. 20 man space marine squads, Emperor's Champion, special rule that rushes you towards the enemy, special rule that makes you hit +3 in melee, and so forth. What do you think?

Think all has been said but my pick is Space Wolves.

Magistrate
22-04-2007, 06:22
No question the Space Wolves. Their recruits are assault troops, their scouts are special forces, they do not use bikes or jump packs much (thanks to 3rd edition), their chaplain is also the apothecary, their librarian is a shaman, their tech marine makes rune armor and weapons, their Terminator trained troops can lead squads or act as bodyguards, they allow ancient Dreadnoughts to command troops, their oldest member was part of Russ' bodyguard and met the Emperor, they use a now rare variant of the Leman Russ tank good for killing troops, and they are still a legion. Oh, and some of the nuttier members become werewolves :)

No other chapter compares with their level of divergence from the Codex Astartes (which was likely used by Russ to wipe his bottom).

Space Wolves have jetpacks and bikes. :wtf: For the standard, Blood Claw Bike Packs can go up to 8 man squads and can swap their bikes for jetpacks. The 13th Company list can take 3-5 man Storm Claws Bike Packs. I should know, I run mine with a Meltagun.

Shrike30
22-04-2007, 07:45
they do not use bikes or jump packs much
Emphasis mine.

Definitely the space wolves. Sorry, guys... any time your marines start breaking out actual wolves and leman russ tanks on the battlefield to back up the ravening hordes of recruits they send out front (and hopefully draw fire from their hardass veteran scouts coming around the rear), you've gone off-codex :p

freelancer
22-04-2007, 08:55
space wolves hands down no compatition there
wolves made dark angels n blood angels look like smerf's
yes no one knows how many BT's there are and they are insane (running twards the enemy (witch is really fun as i play bt's)) but space wolves are just psycotic
freelancer

Onisuzume
22-04-2007, 11:03
Space Puppies get my vote as well.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-04-2007, 11:23
black templar book was a cut and paste from codex space mairines...add two or three special rules.... I was very disapointed...I guess thats one reason I havn't got dark angel codex...dont want to be disapointed.

What do you expect? They space marines still after all.:rolleyes:

Hobgoblyn
22-04-2007, 11:27
He'll have put them in because they do divert from the traditional "Codex" chapter, though not as badly as the Space Wolves and Black Templars do.

For example, Dark Angels with their First Company being ALL Termintors (traditional chapters can have Terminator squad or veteran squads) and their second company being all vehicle-mounted.

In the same vein, the Blood Angels use the Death Company, which is not available to traditional chapters. They also use the Baal, which diverts from their fellow chapters.

But I'd have to say the Space Wolves as well, there's no contest. :)

Ah, but you missed something BIG here and that is that ALL Chapters with the possible exception of the Space Marines differ from the codex by at least as much as what you have described. Just because GW devoted entire codexes to spinning special rules for the BA and DA does NOT mean that they actually diverge from the standard set up more than the winged-assasin Raven Guard, the cyborg army of the Iron Hands, the unstoppable juggernaut of the Imperial Fists or the swift and deadly mounted warriors of the White Scars.

If GW decided to do an entire 'Codex Iron Hands' suddenly all the huge differences between them and the UltraMarines would be written up with just as many wacky special rules and random minor diverge stuff that does little more than just take up room in the codex just like the Blood Angels. But, since there is no Codex Iron Hands all the special effects of having half-machine warriors is ignored for simplicity sake while the effects of the Blood Angel's Black Rage is exaggerated (if it really worked in the fluff as it does on the tabletop, the entire Blood Angel legion would have succumbed and died long ago) and becomes the central focus of their entire army.

So once you ignore the differences that were exaggerated by one army or another having a codex and account for the differences that the actual mechanical rules don't account for, you'll see that each of the various legions is fairly equally diverged from the Codex...

Except for three.
Space Wolves - It has already been mentioned here and is winning the poll
Black Templars - Again, it has been mentioned here. They've absorbed most of the Imperial Fist legion and do their own thing.
Gray Knights - How did no one mention this? Seriously, if you want THE chapter that diverges the most, loyalist or not, it is DEFINATELY the Gray Knights.

mistformsquirrel
22-04-2007, 12:24
Except for three.
Black Templars - Again, it has been mentioned here. They've absorbed most of the Imperial Fist legion and do their own thing.
Gray Knights - How did no one mention this? Seriously, if you want THE chapter that diverges the most, loyalist or not, it is DEFINATELY the Gray Knights.

I'm not sure I quite agree with the Grey Knights one. Not in that they don't diverge - or even that they don't diverge more than the Space Wolves, but...

I mean... I'm not sure if they even quite count as a "Space Marine Chapter" in the traditional sense /at all/.

They're almost a whole different type of thing all-together. I mean yeah, they use power armor and geenseed - but they have a ridiculously narrow mission portfolio, they're /all/ psykers, they rarely operate even on company scale (Do they even *have* companies? >.<)...

I guess in my mind, it'd be like comparing a team of Navy Seals, to a brigade of regular Marines. They're function, purpose, and activities are generally so divergent that the only thing you can really say about both is "They're both soldiers".

Then again, and I *just* remembered this... they are technically the '666th' chapter (I like almost everything about them - but that part is a twinge ham-fisted imho) - so I guess they are viewed as a chapter kinda...

I dunno.

You're right if you classify them as Space Marines under the traditional umbrella, but I personally just find them to be 'something else', in part because of their specialized role, mission, activities, and ties to the Inquisition.

Just my rambling thoughts on the subject and of no real consequence. <X_X>

Slaaneshi Slave
22-04-2007, 12:26
All marine chapters have a rediculously narrow mission portfolia, all marines are mutants, and all chapters rarely operate on even a company scale. Whats your point? :p

mistformsquirrel
22-04-2007, 12:38
All marine chapters have a rediculously narrow mission portfolia, all marines are mutants, and all chapters rarely operate on even a company scale. Whats your point? :p

Quiet you! >_<;; Your logical arguements and refutations of my point has no place here! <T_T>

Commissar Rowe
22-04-2007, 13:00
I am going to go against the grain some and say the Black Templars...

My reasons are primarily fluff based, they have Crusades as opposed to companies, some of which (Like Grand Marshall Helbrecht's in Armageddon) have troops that numbers close to if not in excess of thousands. And only the Templars themselves know just how many crusades are out there and how big they are.

Each crusade does it's own recruiting
They dont have a home world per se they have Garrsion forts scattered everywhere and operate from mobile fleets...

Nebelung_13
22-04-2007, 15:27
Except for three.

Like its been said before ,from what ive read grey knights are not menbers of the Astartes, they may in every aspect (traning, theories and technology) be identical to the SM chapters, but their asses belong to the Ordo Malleus,meaning they only respond to the Inquisition.

inq.serge
22-04-2007, 17:35
thirtheenth