PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from a nooby about to start warhammer 40k

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 03:32
Hello all, ok I got a lot of questions I am going to ask so I am just going to get to it =P

I will be starting Warhammer soon and I have 3 armys really on my mind but I don't currently have that much time / money so I want to narrow it down to 2 and then add in the last one in the future, so I would like your input on my army choices and see what you guys think are the strongest to play out of the 3. I would also like to know how your battles have gone with them in the past. basically I want your opinions on the 3 separate armys to give me more input to help me decide.

With out ado the three armies I have chosen and my thought on them are

-Necrons-

Pros
- Tough units and WBB rolls make them VERY durable
- Tons of gause fire from warriors and immortals can mow down troops with ease
- How cool is an army of metallic undead basically! :chrome:
- Low amount of unit choices alowing you to buy pretty much every unit choice with out spending alot and allow you to switch up your list on a whim to include any multitude of troops like flayed ones and such

Cons
- Some units are not as effective as they could be aka flayed ones and pariahas
- lack of heavy artillery to take out tanks other than heavy destroyers

-World Eaters-

Pros
- Great in CC
- Umm great in CC =P
- Look extremely fun to play to me
- BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! KILL! MAIM! BUUURN! :evilgrin:

Cons
- rage rules turn your marines in to retards some times

-Alpha Legion-

Pros
- Cheap cultist a good change from marines as troops
- ALL infantry can infiltrate
- Good fluff

Cons
- What modle to use fro cultists ? the only ones on the GW web site are classic models and are 3.50 American a pop so if you got any suggestions drop a link to them PLEASE

Ok thats all I can think of right now, if you got any more pros or cons of any of them PLEASE pipe up and say so. :D

Khorne warrior
22-04-2007, 03:38
>>Buy Khorne World Eaters. Well, you can tell by my name that I am biased.

MaliGn
22-04-2007, 03:39
RE: Cultists - I used chaos marauders with pistols taken from the necromunda pistols sprue (availiable from mail order). I did this to go with my own fluff of them fighting on a planet with norse type culture. Although which idea came first is like the chicken and the egg...

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 03:44
Hello all, ok I got a lot of questions I am going to ask so I am just going to get to it =P

I will be starting Warhammer soon and I have 3 armys really on my mind but I don't currently have that much time / money so I want to narrow it down to 2 and then add in the last one in the future, so I would like your input on my army choices and see what you guys think are the strongest to play out of the 3. I would also like to know how your battles have gone with them in the past. basically I want your opinions on the 3 separate armys to give me more input to help me decide.

-Necrons-

Pros
- Low amount of unit choices alowing you to buy pretty much every unit choice with out spending alot and allow you to switch up your list on a whim to include any multitude of troops like flayed ones and such

Cons

-World Eaters-

Pros
- Great in CC
- Umm great in CC =P
- BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! KILL! MAIM! BUUURN! :evilgrin:

Cons

-Alpha Legion-

Pros
- Good fluff

Cons
- What modle to use fro cultists ? the only ones on the GW web site are classic models and are 3.50 American a pop so if you got any suggestions drop a link to them PLEASE

Ok thats all I can think of right now, if you got any more pros or cons of any of them PLEASE pipe up and say so. :D

mmm Necrons, boring as hell but easy to paint, Khorne brilliant CC, Alpha legion - lots of cannon fodder.

If your going down the tainted path then you can't go wrong with Khorne or a mixed CSM army, alpha legion for me seem a bit weak, having cannon fodder is ok but it can often get in the way.

Necrons - well like I said boring as hell but easy to paint.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 04:01
mmm Necrons, boring as hell but easy to paint, Khorne brilliant CC, Alpha legion - lots of cannon fodder.

If your going down the tainted path then you can't go wrong with Khorne or a mixed CSM army, alpha legion for me seem a bit weak, having cannon fodder is ok but it can often get in the way.

Yah I can see where the lack of choice and slow grinding play style can be boring to some, but personaly would not bother me plus the easy to paint thing would be good for me just starting the hobby up.

And yah I am really considering both the chaos armys. :D

I was not going to relly heavy on cultists, I was only going to take 1-2 units of them to deal with large mobs of troops and as a tar pit / tie up unit. But most of the power I see coming from a squad of CSM and some well placed flamer / heavy bolter and auto cannon havocs. :evilgrin:

Shrike30
22-04-2007, 04:07
I've seen a lot of people use Cadians for cultists, modified with the appropriate weaponry and chaos'ed up. It's the "cheap" way to do it, but it works.

Rhamag
22-04-2007, 04:13
Well, If you're sure that you don't want to play Orks, then the next choppiest is either 'Nids or Khorne, so I gues I have to recommend Khorne, simply because they are the choppiest.

I have a theory that the apparent emphasis in the 4th edition rules and codexes on shooty and/or mechanised armies means that 5th edition wil see a resurgence of foot-slogging choppy armies as a result of a "swing" in the rules bias.

Brother-Hyuuga
22-04-2007, 04:23
If i was going chaos i would take the Alpha Legion. More tactically flexible then the others. You could always give a squad or 2 of marines bolt pistols and cc weapons at no extra cost. Then they are close to berserkers except they wont blood rage. If you want fire power you can go with lost of Havocs and keep those squads with pistol/cc weapon for counter attacking an enemy assault.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 04:24
Well, If you're sure that you don't want to play Orks, then the next choppiest is either 'Nids or Khorne, so I gues I have to recommend Khorne, simply because they are the choppiest.

I have a theory that the apparent emphasis in the 4th edition rules and codexes on shooty and/or mechanised armies means that 5th edition wil see a resurgence of foot-slogging choppy armies as a result of a "swing" in the rules bias.

Yah I LOVE ork fluff but sadly thats about all I like about them. :eyebrows:

And you bring up one more question, is there a place I can go to see what new models are up and coming and what new codexes, if possible would like to see estimated dates for new codexes and releases of other things.

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 04:35
And you bring up one more question, is there a place I can go to see what new models are up and coming and what new codexes, if possible would like to see estimated dates for new codexes and releases of other things.

No chance of that, best places are the GW site and here for rumours. But's that's generally all you'll get until release days is rumours.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 04:37
I've seen a lot of people use Cadians for cultists, modified with the appropriate weaponry and chaos'ed up. It's the "cheap" way to do it, but it works.

I will keep that in mind but I realy do like the look of the classic cultists but the price tag is just not worth it at all seeing how I will feild them in 20+ per unit and 3.50 a pop. Thats 150 bucks plus for 2 units.

Rhamag
22-04-2007, 04:38
Check out the Rumours forums here at Warseer. All the latest news on just about everything to do with GW products. There is also a Sneak Peak section on the GW site which has pics, but these have usually been on Warseer for weeks or months in advance!

Like the guys said, your choice in army is dictated in some ways by the way you want to play the game (and vice-versa). If you play Khorne (or Orks or most Nid and Dark Eldar armies), you will nearly always relying on chopping up your enemies to win. Necrons (and Tau and most Imperial Guard armies) are usually thought of as "shooty", while the Alpha Legion allows you to do both, or one, or the other.

These are sterotypes (to stop people posting about their assaulting Guard or Tau forces) but useful sterotypes for a beginner.

Look closely at the models, background and rules. Go with your heart.

Rhamag
22-04-2007, 04:40
For some variety in your cultists, check out the Necromunda. Mordheim, and the 40K Inquisition henchmen ranges.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 04:41
No chance of that, best places are the GW site and here for rumours. But's that's generally all you'll get until release days is rumours.

Ok cool.
And on a side note I would like to thank you all for the great feed back and input and the great amount of replys :cool:

Devil-Dice
22-04-2007, 08:12
Personally I would suggest if your just starting up, you should just concentrate on one army at a time although its lush having two or three armies on the go at once for gaming purposes. But its tough to get a couple of armies painted at the same time, I did the same thing when I started and got Tau and Tyranids at the same time. Two years later Ive just managed to get the smaller Tyranid army painted! My Tau are still a long ways off.

World eaters

Ive never been a big fan of these guys every game ive seen them played all ive seen is berserkers running forward and hopefully surviving the oncoming fusilade, then crunching CC. Thats about it really. Ive got no doubt they can have some effective and fun lists, i've just never witnessed one personally. But in my opinion a little boring, more so than crons id say IMO.

Crons

Ideal beginner army really, low model count, can be easy to paint depending on your scheme, and theyve got some cool special rules and awesome models with the C'Tan.
Pretty straight forward play style too and easy to switch units about if you change tactics. Plus there the most forgiving army to play first, the high toughness, resiliance and leadership means theyl probable stick about even if you make a silly mistake. As for your previous comment on tank hunting, Crons are arguably one of the most versatile tank hunting armies with the Gauss special rule.

Alpha Legion

These guys can be fun but there a pretty restricted list if you want to go all out infiltrating, therefore not taking Tanks. This personally I could never live with, I love my tanks too much. Plus if you roll bad dice at the beginning of the game you could end up not being able to infiltrate anyway. Plus they cant take any Deamons unless you take cultists, but that wouldnt be too much of a problem for you if you want to go Cultist heavy. I f you really want something special for your Cultist models check out the Forge world Renegade Militia a little pricey but, they awesome!!!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/CHAOS_VEHICLE_ACCESSORIES.html

Ktotwf
22-04-2007, 08:28
You are starting down the wrong path! Serve the Emperor! Not the vile hordes of Chaos!

Seriously though, if I was gonna pick a CSM army, it would be the Word Bearers.

The Necrons look and feel boring to me. CSM have much much much more character.

The Laughing God
22-04-2007, 13:33
Necrons I think are the cheapest ones out there, the battleforce is one of the best out there. Also they're forgiving if you make a mistake.

Also who doesn't like skeleton robots that come back from the dead?;)

Dawn of the Dogs
22-04-2007, 15:58
Cons

that made me laugh :D

from the 3 youve picked, id propbably go with the Alpha Legion. not my fave CSM legion, but im not the one picking the army now am i?

as for cultists, keep in mind you dont have to use the old chaos cultists. try looking through the necromunda range as well.

PMTN
22-04-2007, 16:17
I would also go with Necrons, as i play them (*ducks rotten vegtables thrown at them).

Positives.

As said before they are relavtivley easy to paint, but like every army if you want to spend time on them they will look amazing. However a monolith will be the single most annoying model you will ever paint and put togther.

Necrons are forgiving to new players, but they are no means a noobie army, they have a massive range for tactical brilliance, i mean just look at the Deciever.

They are robots

Necrons and c'tan have been around since the before the eldar, they have wipped the Old ones hardcore, (and those guys are the creators of the eldar and orks etc) thus you will always have braging rights.

Veil of darkness, monoltih portalling - who doesn't want to be able to fly out of combat and walk out with all the troops he just destroyed coming back.

Gauss weapons

3 monoliths armies

- Negatives

Supposed noob army, they call you a noob they you proced to shove a c'tan and 15 destroyers down their throat.

Chessy, who you calling cheesy? wait those 3 monoliths are a bit chessy at 1,500 points, oh well i can live with myself.

BigJon
22-04-2007, 16:31
As a nooby I would suggest starting with Necros and keeping your army list simple, lord, warriors, destroyer and Monoliths. Save the other unit types for when you have a few games under your belt.

Watch and see what kind of players you go against before sinking into the power gamer phase, a balanced list will make you friends, a power list will make it harder to find games.

BigJon

paddyalexander
22-04-2007, 16:55

I love supprising players like you with my Necrons that teleports, move and Turbo boost across the table in 2 turns.

With Necrons you do need to take large units of infantry but almost every other unit in the army either moves like a jetbike(Destroyers, Wraiths, Scarabs), ignores terrain(Wraiths, Scarabs), can always deepstrike(Monolith, Flayed Ones) or carries assualt weapons(Pariahs, Immortals). You don't need anti-tank weapons because your basic trooper can destroy a landraider.

The low AP waepons are only available to lords, heavy destroyers & the monolith but you can typicly overcome those units with volume of fire.

For cultists you could mix catatchian/cadian plastics with Empire milita parts. This would give you a mix a civilians & defectors from the local PDF.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 22:18
Personally I would suggest if your just starting up, you should just concentrate on one army at a time although its lush having two or three armies on the go at once for gaming purposes. But its tough to get a couple of armies painted at the same time, I did the same thing when I started and got Tau and Tyranids at the same time. Two years later Ive just managed to get the smaller Tyranid army painted! My Tau are still a long ways off.

World eaters

Ive never been a big fan of these guys every game ive seen them played all ive seen is berserkers running forward and hopefully surviving the oncoming fusilade, then crunching CC. Thats about it really. Ive got no doubt they can have some effective and fun lists, i've just never witnessed one personally. But in my opinion a little boring, more so than crons id say IMO.

Crons

Ideal beginner army really, low model count, can be easy to paint depending on your scheme, and theyve got some cool special rules and awesome models with the C'Tan.
Pretty straight forward play style too and easy to switch units about if you change tactics. Plus there the most forgiving army to play first, the high toughness, resiliance and leadership means theyl probable stick about even if you make a silly mistake. As for your previous comment on tank hunting, Crons are arguably one of the most versatile tank hunting armies with the Gauss special rule.

Alpha Legion

These guys can be fun but there a pretty restricted list if you want to go all out infiltrating, therefore not taking Tanks. This personally I could never live with, I love my tanks too much. Plus if you roll bad dice at the beginning of the game you could end up not being able to infiltrate anyway. Plus they cant take any Deamons unless you take cultists, but that wouldnt be too much of a problem for you if you want to go Cultist heavy. I f you really want something special for your Cultist models check out the Forge world Renegade Militia a little pricey but, they awesome!!!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/CHAOS_VEHICLE_ACCESSORIES.html

Your concern for me starting two armys is not falling on deaf ears, but I curently have alot of free time on my hands ( an average of 15-20 hours a week lol ) and all tho it may be a large task I do think I am up to it. If I fall under the pressure I will be sure to inform you all so you can giggle at me lol.

Thanks for that forgeworld link thoes will be PERFECT...... now if only there were rules for chaos ogryn cultists :eek: :evilgrin:

Yet again thank you all for all of your great input, I am starting to lean towards a basic necron army ( Lord with veil and orb porting around a squad of immortals then alot of warriors and a mono and a group of wraiths or destroyers ) and for my second I am thinking of Alpha Legion, even with the points about the no tanks in most situations and not always infiltrating 100% they still sound like a total blast to play, plus they sound like they can have a wide range of tactical options that the World Eaters will not have.

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 22:54
I love supprising players like you with my Necrons that teleports, move and Turbo boost across the table in 2 turns.

Oh for god sake, people here really need to take their heads out of their proverbials for once.

I didn't meant boring as in the way thay play, what I said was
boring as hell but easy to paint thus referring to the models. - not much scope with the basic necron warrior is there? Spray paint and drybrush job at minimum, ink job and a few highlights at best.

At least with other armies they've got variety in the models, even the Tau despite the fact they have models that remind me of Transformers have a more varied aproach to the models.

But like Enigma666 said he's going for the Necron option so I suppose it must fit in with his style of gameplay and painting, and the Alpha Legion option should offset the boredom of paintnig endless necron warriors.

I do agree with Paddyalexander on the point about the catachan's as cultists, they'd be perfect because they don't wear any armour unlike some of the other guard models - helmets and chest plates for example.

Enigma666
22-04-2007, 23:15
Oh for god sake, people here really need to take their heads out of their proverbials for once.

I didn't meant boring as in the way thay play, what I said was thus referring to the models. - not much scope with the basic necron warrior is there? Spray paint and drybrush job at minimum, ink job and a few highlights at best.

At least with other armies they've got variety in the models, even the Tau despite the fact they have models that remind me of Transformers have a more varied aproach to the models.

But like Enigma666 said he's going for the Necron option so I suppose it must fit in with his style of gameplay and painting, and the Alpha Legion option should offset the boredom of paintnig endless necron warriors.

I do agree with Paddyalexander on the point about the catachan's as cultists, they'd be perfect because they don't wear any armour unlike some of the other guard models - helmets and chest plates for example.

I like all spectrums of game play lol, even the slow grinding inevitable doom for all that stand across the table from you type :evilgrin: ( yes I know necrons can be a fast army with the right unit choices )

And I also dig the fact that the models are fairly forgiving to paint seeing as how I am just learning the hobby. ( but my Crons will still look bad ass :skull: )

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 23:24
I like all spectrums of game play lol, even the slow grinding inevitable doom for all that stand across the table from you type :evilgrin: ( yes I know necrons can be a fast army with the right unit choices )

And I also dig the fact that the models are fairly forgiving to paint seeing as how I am just learning the hobby. ( but my Crons will still look bad ass :skull: )

Post some pics if you can when you've done some, be good to see some bad ass necrons.

Modelswise not the rules, just before anyone comes up with a reply like paddyalexander. :D

Enigma666
23-04-2007, 00:02
Post some pics if you can when you've done some, be good to see some bad ass necrons.

Modelswise not the rules, just before anyone comes up with a reply like paddyalexander. :D

Oh yah I will, they will not be done for probaly a good while but yah I will make sure to put up some pics. I am contemplating on doing like a silver ( with either some rusting highlights or a dip in some light wood varnish to give them an aged look ) and highlights of gold and red gore, in my mind they look awsome. The only thing is will my painting skills match up with my imagination lol.

Kevinsho
23-04-2007, 01:07

-Necrons-

Pros

Cons

The lack of heavy artillery is more than compansated by the fact that almost every unit in the army can take out any tank. The lack of decent close combat units hurts more. In addition, practically every necron army I've seen is built around keeping all units around a necron lord with res orb. Very boring.

-World Eaters-

Pros
- Great in CC
- Umm great in CC =P

Cons

Unfortunately, just like necrons, World Eaters tend to have only one real playing style. Charge and hope they don't get shot up too badly. However, they do have the best demons and greater demons in the game.

-Alpha Legion-

Pros
- Good fluff

Cons

Any imperial guard regiment can be used as cultists. I saw a great looking alpha legion army where the cultists were made from a combination of beastmen and cadians.

Of the above armies, I would go with Alpha Legion. There are a lot people who play that army as compared to the other two.

Lord Balian
23-04-2007, 16:03
Well financially crons will be the best out of them all, but in my opinion it's a very boring army. I know many people that play it as their first army, BUT they soon stop playing it, even getting rid of it, and go with a different army. It's an easy army to play is why it's a popular first one. But boring.

World Eaters is a strong, fun army, but I think it's a very challenging army to play especially as your first one. Having an army that is all assault oriented is tough to get into assault before getting shot to bits. But in the right hands can be devastating.

I think alpha legion is your best bet for first army. It's a relatively simple and straight forward army, you have a combination of marines and cultists, and even demons if you want. It can be all infantry, or with some vehicles how ever you want. As for cultists, I used the Empire Militia men from fantasy, got a bunch of a sprue called "space marine close combat sprue" which has the pistols and some minimal conversions. I've also seen the chaos mauraders from Fantasy used well for cultists with little conversion. But you don't even have to use cultists if you don't want to. Some people just use alpha legion to play a full infantry marine army that can infiltrate for cheap.

Codsticker
23-04-2007, 16:10

-Necrons-
Necrons are a good army to start with. They are tough and durable and thus very forgiving. They have their achilles heel (assault) but there are enough bits of wargear to make up for it. Their lack of dedicated anti-tank firepower is easliy made up for by their Gauss weaponry which allows them to damage tanks even when the Strength of the weapon is to low to get through the armour. And you are right: simple paint scheme means you get to play with them sooner.

Enigma666
02-05-2007, 00:14
Well the debate and decisions continue. Recently I got a chance to read the Eye of terror codex and lay my eyes on the awsomenes that is The Lost and The Damned, and wow do they look awsome.

Big mutants are a CRAZY CC unit with there massive amount of wounds and there combat prowes.

Plus i love hellhounds =P

Does any one have any input on them as an army ? Are the competive to play ?

Needless to say the decision is still going on in my poor brain.

Nabeshin1106
02-05-2007, 00:23
I would say that f you are starting out now and want an army do Necrons. Wait for the new Chaos Codex if you want to do WE or AL.

Codsticker
02-05-2007, 05:35
Recently I got a chance to read the Eye of terror codex and lay my eyes on the awsomenes that is The Lost and The Damned, and wow do they look awsome.

Big mutants are a CRAZY CC unit with there massive amount of wounds and there combat prowes.

Plus i love hellhounds =P

Does any one have any input on them as an army ? Are the competive to play ?

They are a converter and painters dream. Other than that, I understand that they can be a bit of a challenge to play (the one massacre that I ever scored was against a LatD army- with guard no less).

AngryAngel
02-05-2007, 06:16
I'd say go with the chaos ideas khorne and alpha legion. That way as your saving up you can add units for both at around the same time. Though necrons are another good, solid choice.

Plebian
02-05-2007, 06:35
I am an ex-necron player, it was my 4th army. You might be different but I hated them. I loved painting them but I hated playing games with them because there was very few tactical descisions I had to make. With crons it goes like this.
1)Lots of destroyers run around and tank hunt
2)Warriors advance into RF range
3)Monolith annoys people
4)Lose enough warriors and phase out

I also dislike Khorne, as there is only one thing to do with them...hell-of-a warcry tho. Alpha legion, while not the greatest chaos force does allow you some flexability. So go with AL.
-Plebian

KITS AND BITS
02-05-2007, 11:36
I think its a pointless question , you should choose the army/s you and you alone want to play and forget what people here advise , most people will be biased to what they play for reasons that attracted them to the army in the first place , the ability of an army is also no reason to choose it , i have seen killer armies fried to molten metal in three rounds by players using half an army , because no matter how good the stats /models /codex is it all boils down to whos controlling them and the decisions they make and the roll of a dice .
make your own mind up , its one of the few true freedoms you have left !

but i would go for eldar

Enigma666
08-05-2007, 21:32
Well I just checked out the Chaos section on the rumors boards and even tho I know that they are rumors there are just to many damn changes looking like they can go in to place for me to make and army only for them to drasticly change. I have decided to go with only one army for now untill the release of the new codex, and that army is the DUN DUN DUN Necrons.

plus i dotn see the necros changing much even with a new codex.

Thanks for all of your help guys i have finaly made my choice.

Brother Alecium
08-05-2007, 22:02
I absolutely loath Necrons so I will not recommend them to anyone. Sorry

The Alpha Legion was the first Chaos army that I ever made, and they can be a simple and very well rounded army to start off with. The cheap infiltrate for every unit is nice, and if you like the use of Cultists then there is no better way to go. They can be tooled out for almost any type of game, situation, and or job you want thme to do.

The World Eaters are going to be a little more complicated to start because they have their own rules in addition to the normal Undevided armory. When I first started playing I tried Tzeentch and I was confused and constantly forgetting stuff all the time because I dove in too deep too fast.

The Chaos Codex as a whole as a lot more rules and a lot more things to memorize, so if you like marines in general why not try to play loyalist marines? The Trait options will allow you to add some flavor to your army, and they are simple enough to learn faster and easier.

Over all just figure out which army you like the best, and go with them. Remember you are the one that will playing them every week not us.

swordwind
08-05-2007, 22:18
Be different. Play Eldar Exodites. :evilgrin:

hush88
09-05-2007, 05:43
Enigma666 : If i may, from one newbie to another newbie, borrow the codex(s) of the army(s) you want if you have not. It would give you a start on the fluff, the variety of army(s) you can build and the range of models.

Having done that, go to your local club and see if someone would lend you their army(s) (the ones that interest you) for a game, best way of understanding how the army actually works. Someones reading about it and actually playing with it are two different things.

Next question to ask, "am i in it for the modelling or the gaming?" If modelling is the answer, best look at what models you like and build an army from there. If gaming is the answer, then testing playing with friends army is a better option. :D

Marius Xerxes
09-05-2007, 09:28
I dont know if this was mentioned already, but being 2 of the armies you listed are going to be re-done this September, i would hold off on any Chaos options until the new Codex is out.

Calden
09-05-2007, 12:29
One thing I'd watch with the Alpha Legion is that the current rumours for the new chaos codex coming out later this year point towards the all infiltrating army no longer being an option, and cultists going too. So if you start them with an aim to be a fully infiltrating force with lots of cannon fodder you might be dissapointed quite soon as the rules change.