PDA

View Full Version : Poor sports. Hawai'i Gamesday.

northoceanbeach
22-04-2007, 07:02
So had a game today and it was a really close one. Blood Angels(me) against necrons and at the end of the game I had 2 Chaplains and 3 Death Co. and he had a necron lord. I like close games like this but against this guy it just wasn't as fun. He had a sourpuss expression on his face the entire game even though he was winning for most of it, and then when it was done he began complaining about how the Blood Angels need a new codex, complained about all the stuff with them he had a problem with. Said he never had a chance, and then said any 8 year old could play them and do what I did. And this was like a 35 year old guy. He came in wearing a Grand Tournament shirt and had a really tough list. I just don't know why he couldn't just say good one and be done with it, but even when I walked away he just sat there looking smug and trashing my army to his friend. I just think that was out of lime, especially telling me an 8 year could play my army. What's been your worst fit your opponent has thrown after losing, and what did you do? I just smiled and walked away. I can't see any point argueing with the guy too much.

Dark Apostle197
22-04-2007, 07:07
Once watched a guy complain about the new DA were because they can get first turn charges with ravenwing, and how taking two characters(sammuel and belial) is cheezy... After beating the person.

The Emperor
22-04-2007, 07:24
Since when is there an apostrophe in Hawaii?

Anyway, the same thing happened to me at a local game store ages ago. There was a guy in his mid-30's who'd constantly lose, and he'd spend the entire game going "This is ************". "This is ************". "This is ************". Over and over. Everytime something went wrong he'd go "This is ************". At first I tried being polite, but eventually I couldn't take it anymore and I just blew my top at him. In the middle of my 3rd or 4th game against him I flipped my lid, picked up my models, and left. Never played him again, and I'm all the happier for it.

Shrike30
22-04-2007, 07:28
Hawai'i is written with and without the apostophe. Basically, depends on how anglicized it is.

Northoceanbeach, sorry to hear you had to play with a whiner. I hope the rest of the day made up for it.

SwordsofChaos
22-04-2007, 10:33
I once played a guy who would whine at any advantage or effective thing my tyranids had. Then we switched armies and played again. He started whining about alll the "imba" tactics he never thought of using, that was horribly irritating.

Bookwrak
22-04-2007, 12:37
I had one opponent complain about how cheesy the Monolith was, as I Gauss Flayed and Particle Whipped my way right through the center of his army :angel: (I apologized afterwards once it was pointed out to me that the Particle Whip, being Ordnance, could not be fired at the same time as the Gauss Flayer, especially if the 'lith moved...)

thepoodle
22-04-2007, 12:37
I had 2 Chaplains and 3 Death Co. and he had a necron lord.

In that case you'd beaten him due to phase out, he only had one necron model left on the table.

New Cult King
22-04-2007, 12:43
Anyway, the same thing happened to me at a local game store ages ago. There was a guy in his mid-30's who'd constantly lose, and he'd spend the entire game going "This is ************". "This is ************". "This is ************". Over and over. Everytime something went wrong he'd go "This is ************". At first I tried being polite, but eventually I couldn't take it anymore and I just blew my top at him. In the middle of my 3rd or 4th game against him I flipped my lid, picked up my models, and left. Never played him again, and I'm all the happier for it.

That's like saying "I headbutted the wall over and over again, but eventually I couldn't take the pain anymore and I stopped. Stupid wall." :p

My only opponent used to play Necrons, and after being crushed by him time and again even after changing my tactics and army composition, I asked online about some of the suspect rules this guy was using. Turns out he was being extremely creative with the rules, and even making some of them up. Next time we played, I asked to look at his Codex. He refused, so I went home ;)

studderigdave
22-04-2007, 13:26
played against a guy yesterday. this guy is already known to be a sore loser so i tried not to push the envelope. we played an "ambush" scenario and he was in the middle. he was playing average eldar

farseer
guardians x2
scorps x2
banshees in serpent
wraithlord

i was playing a genestealer heavy nid list with 3 zoanthropes, 2 gunfexes and a flyrant.

the game wento off with him commenting on my dated genestealer models, on how he liked the older look better. then we got into a discussion about genestealer heavy lists and he said if he played nids he would do the same thing, they are troops after all right? this all came to an end after i got a few squads into assualt.

WHAT? 4 atacks on the charge? RENDING? INITIATIVE SIX?

i couldnt hear the end of it. he quit after turn 3, saying i played a cheesy list and he walked out.

BigJon
22-04-2007, 13:39
Ahhh, good ole Hawaii Gamesday. Been there, done that, not to surprised on his reaction. I have to ask, what happened to his phase out? With so few models he should lost long ago.

I had a guy with the lazcannon list from .... six squads of six each with a lazcannon and each with a lazcannon razerback. Dev squads all with lazcannons and lazcannon Preds. He got the first and only turn, I had to walk away.

It was not his list so much but his attitude. I introduced myself and offered my hand and he did not shake it or tell me his name, instead he starts questioning me about my list. I was some-what insulted but proceeded. On the first turn he started key holing me with all his lazcannon shots and that was it, when the turn was done I congratulated him on a crappy game and conceded. And he stunk.

BigJon

sliganian
22-04-2007, 13:49
As others have noted, methinks the Necron player "forgot" the Phase Out rule. Unless it was an Astronomicon-style mission where the BA player HAD to kill the Necron Lord to Win, I think the BA player got hosed.

Jonahmaul
22-04-2007, 14:28
I hate people like this. Necrons are a fairly cheesy army & it just sounds like he was sore about his army being s**t in combat, bet he would be much happier playing a guard army where he could sit back & shoot the s**t out of everything. The hobby is about having fun at the end of the day & people who whinge like this are just ruining it. That's part of the reason that I don't play in the GW here in Bristol. At least in Cardiff I'd been there for years so had plenty of experience about who was just no fun to play against & constantly bickered as opposed to those who were generally fun to play against!

azimaith
22-04-2007, 14:37
Hey I live in Hawaii, I assume you went to the Ward Center room for it?
Was the is a little kid of a blonde guy with short hair?

All of us here in the Islands who go to Other Realms tend to know who to play and who not to play, some people just are not good players.

I don't understand how people get their panties in a twist over a game. Myself? I like playful versions of :"Aw you suck!" to enhance game play. You'd be suprised but alot of people LIKE it when you show alot of emotion as you play as long as its directed toward making the game more light hearted and fun.

For example, in one game my monolith happened to be punched out by an Ork with a power klaw, a warboss in fact. I personally don't see anything wrong with a joking: "Aw you suck, you and your stupid glowing gardening mitt."
As long as its made to be obviously playful and entertaining. Theres not much people like more than hearing exaggerations about how awesome somethings they did were. It makes them and their army feel more special.

I just can't understand why someone would get mad over a game like this though. Unless your opponent is cheating theres no reason to get angry.

Bookwrak
22-04-2007, 14:54
I hate people like this. Necrons are a fairly cheesy army :chrome:

Some people make it worse though. I think I got away with the Gauss and Particle whip because my opponent was convinced Necrons were absolutely over-powered. I actually had to take a couple minutes to stop him from removing models, because he though gauss worked like rending, and thus any 6s on the hit roll meant an auto-wound...

toxic_wisdom
22-04-2007, 15:08
...Necrons are a fairly cheesy army...

MYTH: There is no such thing as a cheesy army.

Jonahmaul
22-04-2007, 15:21
Ok, maybe I got carried away a bit. I'm often an advocate of their being no such thing as a cheesy army as I think all armies are balanced so I retract that comment! Still, people complaining about other armies annoy me, it's a GAME, it's suppose to be FUN! (that's not at any one who's picked up my cheesy comment but at aforementioned whiner!)

Bunnahabhain
22-04-2007, 16:57
Laughing at your own mis-fortune, rather than complaining about makes the game so much more fun. Last game I played, I fired off 11 ordnance shots, and and not a single one hit, and every hell hound burst missed as well. By turn 5, every time I picked up the scatter dice, neither of us could stop laughing...

Sekhmet
22-04-2007, 18:44
Since when is there an apostrophe in Hawaii?

Hawai'i has always been spelt with an okina, it's not an apostrophe. It just happens to look the same as an english apostrophe. Lazy americans omit it / don't know about it. Incase you wanted to know (which you probably don't), it's not pronounced ha wah E, it's pronounced ha vai E.

Anyway... he only had a necron lord left? As in, he was well below phase out for a long long time but didn't phase out? Sounds like you got cheated.

wingedserpant
22-04-2007, 19:58
By saying an eight year old could play your list says more about him than you...you beat him so he would lose to an eight year old.

I've had a few sore losers and many bad winners.

But I find those who cheat against kids a third of their own age are the worst. This guy wasn't allowing a nine year old to get three attacks on the charge with his chaos bikers even though I said to him and the boys dad that they got attacks from having the spikes. I keep getting the same arrogant reply that they couldn't because they were holding on to the handlebars. Its as if he was ignoring me.

Alot of older gamers just assume that because I was only 14 that I didn't know anything about the game.

On a later date, I thrashed him even though he was cheating. He was a sore loser. Keep saying I should read the rules...

Dark Apostle197
22-04-2007, 21:03
Alot of older gamers just assume that because I was only 14 that I didn't know anything about the game.

Lol I used to get that too. People would not know a rule question so would ask other around, except for me. I would try to tell them it, but they wouldn't listen. Ofcourse they didn't have a rulebook so they went to the store to look at the rulebook to find out. He comes back and says almost the exact same thing I did. I just continue to watch the game with a smile of my face... It doesn't happen anymore.

yabbadabba
22-04-2007, 21:03
I am jumping on the "Hey it is just a game" bandwagon ;)

I like to play so called "cheesey" armies because I really appreciate that some people have an almost genius type ability to focus on an army and come out with a terrifying killer list.

I like to play people with "themed" lists because they often theme their tactics as well as their armies. And there armys look ace too (as a rule).

I like playing beginners because it is a buzz to watch their skills and understanding develop whilst whooping my incompetant gameplay.

I love playing poor losers or people with poor gaming attitudes. It reminds me that I play for fun, and also I only ever have to choose to play them once :D

northoceanbeach
22-04-2007, 21:07
Well no he knew all the rules, and I think he was right about the phase out.
He had a tough list too, something like:
3 squads of 16 warriors
2 squads 8 scarabs
4 destroyers
10 immortals
lord with res orb and veil

so at the last turn he had one partial squad left with the lord and one partial squad in cc with me. beginning of turn six, he starts and finishes my last tank with the lord squad. I kill the last warriors I'm attacking, and then for the bottom of 6, my turn, I jump over to his lord with warriors. So he said since phase out happens at the beginning of his turn and there is no turn 7 he doesn't phase out. He decided to call this match a tie, but I don't see it that way, not that it really matters what we call it.

And it wasn't that kid it was some older guy that said he flew over from the big island to play, I'd never seen him before.

wingedserpant
22-04-2007, 21:26
Lol I used to get that too. People would not know a rule question so would ask other around, except for me. I would try to tell them it, but they wouldn't listen. Ofcourse they didn't have a rulebook so they went to the store to look at the rulebook to find out. He comes back and says almost the exact same thing I did. I just continue to watch the game with a smile of my face... It doesn't happen anymore.

All the 'adults' who ignored me for rules queries have been defeated by none other than the little kid-me. Plus the little 9 year old-he is about 12 now put up a pretty good fight.

There are a few vets[proper vets eg not just over the 16 year age] who treat me as an equal and they are the ones who really now what they are doing. The other adults just suck.

Templar Ben
22-04-2007, 21:45
Is there a large 40K community in Hawai'i? I don't recall one when I lived there from '98 until '02 but times change.

northoceanbeach
22-04-2007, 21:48
Yeah surprisingly so. There's a game store that rents out a mall conference room on mondays and I'd say about 20 people come to play 40k on average. It's always super easy to get a game anyways.

Templar Ben
22-04-2007, 21:52
Congrats on hitting 100 posts.

Well I am hoping to move back to O'ahu in the fall so I will have to look it up.

My exwife lives on Big Island so I don't play with people from there on principle. :p

Galley
22-04-2007, 22:02
Hawai'i has always been spelt with an okina, it's not an apostrophe. It just happens to look the same as an english apostrophe. Lazy americans omit it / don't know about it. Incase you wanted to know (which you probably don't), it's not pronounced ha wah E, it's pronounced ha vai E..

Yes, making generic 'lazy american' comments is always so classy. :rolleyes:
Don't people ever thing that maybe it'd be best to just say, "Hey, we're all ignorant of something, but why not help each other out when we can?"

Anyways...

Getting upset about a loss or something like that is silly. Not only is it just a game, the absolute worst case is that you won't learn from your loss. So suck it up, take the loss on the chin, and enjoy the game on a deeper level from it.

carl
22-04-2007, 22:16
So he said since phase out happens at the beginning of his turn and there is no turn 7 he doesn't phase out.

I'm pretty sure that wrong, the only time that comes into play as far as I know is when he has warriors down who could come back via WBB and doing so would bring him back above his Phase out value. If you like the downed warriors waiting for WBB count towards the phase out limit, (allthough that isn't a littiral interpratation as such, thats just the end effect of aruling on this I saw).

Thus barring enough warriors being left to bring him back above phase out he should have gone out.

OT questions. @ Sekhmet & Toxic_Wisdom:

Where are your twos avatars from, both pics look familiar from somwhere, but I can't place them...

Sekhmet
22-04-2007, 22:29
Yes, making generic 'lazy american' comments is always so classy. :rolleyes:
Yes it is, I'm glad you think so too. :rolleyes:
Note: Hawaii is part of America. People often forget that. I am also a lazy American.

Don't people ever thing that maybe it'd be best to just say, "Hey, we're all ignorant of something, but why not help each other out when we can?"

That wouldn't be in the spirit of the intarweb.

carl: Joe Chiodo drew it, I just kind of cropped it and such.
http://www.joechiodo.com/jcillust10.html

Yeah, I remember seeing some old dude with a nicely painted deathguard army asking you questions yesterday.

Anyway, if the Necron dude went 2nd, he would phase out at the bottom of 6 if he didn't make enough WBBs. If he went 1st and you shot him to death at the bottom of 6, he would be right in that he wouldn't phase out because phase out is calculated at the beginning of necron turns.

carl
22-04-2007, 22:40
carl: Joe Chiodo drew it, I just kind of cropped it and such.
http://www.joechiodo.com/jcillust10.html

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was somthing from GW, reminded me of some TK artwork i'd seen a while back that I don't have ATM, and thought maybe it was one of those, (or has Joe Chido had his art published by GW?).

Anyway sorry for the OT.

If he went 2nd, he would phase out at the bottom of 6 if he didn't make enough WBBs. If he went 1st and you shot him to death at the bottom of 6, he would be right in that he wouldn't phase out because phase out is calculated at the beginning of necron turns.

I allways thought it was calculated as and when they hit the phase out point with the provishion that if they had sufficent models remaning you had to wait till the start of the next necron turn to see if enough would get up to avoid phase out.

Weird, but I don't own the Necron codex so i'll take your word for it, sorry for the confushion guys.

elusiveintrovert
22-04-2007, 22:45
At a RT tournament about two years back I played a guy with a heavy genestealer list with a flyrant and a broodlord. The mission had the reserves rule and no infiltrating, and he complained for the first three turns that his hive wasn't and his bl couldn't infiltrate. Then he spent the rest of the game complaining that my five heavy bolters made my list "broken." I just kept my comments to myself and gave him a horrid sportsmanship score and wrote him off as someone I never had to play again.

Sekhmet
22-04-2007, 22:48
I allways thought it was calculated as and when they hit the phase out point with the provishion that if they had sufficent models remaning you had to wait till the start of the next necron turn to see if enough would get up to avoid phase out.

Weird, but I don't own the Necron codex so i'll take your word for it, sorry for the confushion guys.

Nope. Say Necrons go first, and 6th turn is the last turn. Necrons do their thing at the top of 6th, etc. At the bottom of 6th, you wipe out every Necron with lascannons / power weapons except for a single Warrior. When the game ends at the end of your turn, the Necrons haven't phased out and as such the Warrior still alive wouldn't be worth full VPs.

cinera
22-04-2007, 22:58
at the 40k gaming club i go to there are two adults that always play eachother because apperantly no "child can play properly..." so me and my little minion (my friend who is 11, and im 14) completly massacred them!

that dont act so high and mighty now!!

Gensuke626
22-04-2007, 23:29
Hawaii has a nice vibrant 40k Community. As said earlier, you just need to know who to play against. I find that the majority of the older players are the ones who just play to have fun, especially with things like the "Sesame Street Berzerkers" army, most of the ork armies, and I'm fairly certain someone down here made the "Screaming mimes" chapter of marines and the "Hello Kitty" marines.

To the OP, sorry you had a bad game...umm...Maybe you could help that 35 year old Necron Player become an Hero?

PS...The Berzerker army I mentioned is famous around here for 2 things...The "Blood Letters" (Red pipe cleaners twisted to form the letters B, L, O, and D with little googly eyes glued on.) and the Ferocious "Tickle Me Thrister" (I kid you not, this thing was a bloodthirster with Elmo's head...)

Dark Apostle197
22-04-2007, 23:48
Aaah You have thatr army by you :)

Khorne warrior
23-04-2007, 00:54
>>there will always be sore losers

Templar Ben
23-04-2007, 01:06
Yes it is, I'm glad you think so too. :rolleyes:
Note: Hawaii is part of America. People often forget that. I am also a lazy American.

I loved when people would talk about flying back to "The States". I even met a couple over at Ala Moana that said they were surprised there were no places to convert their dollars into Hawaiian. :cries: I won't get into the issues of how to pronounce Likelike.

Hawaii has a nice vibrant 40k Community. As said earlier, you just need to know who to play against. I find that the majority of the older players are the ones who just play to have fun, especially with things like the "Sesame Street Berzerkers" army, most of the ork armies, and I'm fairly certain someone down here made the "Screaming mimes" chapter of marines and the "Hello Kitty" marines.

To the OP, sorry you had a bad game...umm...Maybe you could help that 35 year old Necron Player become an Hero?

PS...The Berzerker army I mentioned is famous around here for 2 things...The "Blood Letters" (Red pipe cleaners twisted to form the letters B, L, O, and D with little googly eyes glued on.) and the Ferocious "Tickle Me Thrister" (I kid you not, this thing was a bloodthirster with Elmo's head...)

I can't wait to come back. Sounds like you have a lot of people that focus on the fun.

Rioghan Murchadha
23-04-2007, 02:43
Nope. Say Necrons go first, and 6th turn is the last turn. Necrons do their thing at the top of 6th, etc. At the bottom of 6th, you wipe out every Necron with lascannons / power weapons except for a single Warrior. When the game ends at the end of your turn, the Necrons haven't phased out and as such the Warrior still alive wouldn't be worth full VPs.

Pretty much. The actual rule is :If, after making all we'll be back rolls (emphasis mine), the necron player is left with less than 25% of all the models in his army (with the necron special rule of course), then they phase out at that point.

The reason I've emphasized all, is because a using RAW, one could argue that you wouldn't check for phase out until after monoliths were given a chance to teleport squads with downed guys, giving them a second WBB roll.

Of course, conversely, it could mean that after making WBB rolls for all eligible necron models... I'm not touching this one with a 10 ft pole, even though I play crons.. I don't have to worry since I don't/won't field a monolith.. (Mainly because of what happened to the store guard's chimaera on friday..)

Sekhmet
23-04-2007, 05:32
I loved when people would talk about flying back to "The States". I even met a couple over at Ala Moana that said they were surprised there were no places to convert their dollars into Hawaiian. :cries: I won't get into the issues of how to pronounce Likelike.

Oh man, I always want to either cry or smack them (or both) when I hear that. Like.. hello, did you need a passport to get here? No? Do you know how many states there are? Do you know what flag is flying right now over our capital? What language do we speak? Yes, this is the exact same Hawaii that's often shown below Texas, which is a state, but we're actually off to the west.

Dark_Element
23-04-2007, 06:02
Hello Hawaii, how I miss thee.

Just curious...... was this Gamesday hosted by Other Realms?
I have lots of good memories there.

-DE

freelancer
23-04-2007, 06:39
this really annoyed me, last years sydney conflict tourny i was playing the 3rd game seek and distroy ect ect. he had imperial guard and after we set up everything i noticed he had a VERY big guard army for 750pts so i asked 2 see his army list and he only paid 50pts for a leamun russ (is that how is it spelt?) thort it was wierd and i didnt know how many points they REALY are:mad: they kid also just kinda pouted n looked unhappy the entire game lol even tho he was killing my templars lol

freelancer

Xenocidal Maniac
23-04-2007, 07:31
MYTH: There is no such thing as a cheesy army.

MYTH. There IS such thing as unbalanced armies. GW is not full of infallible geniuses who are able to perfectly balance every single army.

Hawai'i has always been spelt with an okina, it's not an apostrophe. It just happens to look the same as an english apostrophe. Lazy americans omit it / don't know about it. Incase you wanted to know (which you probably don't), it's not pronounced ha wah E, it's pronounced ha vai E.

It's pronounced however us "lazy Americans" say it's pronounced, being as it is a US state, and we named it whatever we saw fit. Whether it was a poor approximation of ********* word or not is a different story, but the name of the US state is pronounced however we say it is pronounced.

And if you were born in HA WAI I, you are an American, too. Like it or not.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say that your opponent was pretty out of line, and I am sorry you had that experience. Luckily, I have yet to run into many people like that at all here in LA. But I am sure they are out there!

cinera
23-04-2007, 11:11
50 points for a leman russ... _ right....
just to make sure i was right and not making an idiot of my self i went to the games workshop website and went to "getting started with..." part.

on page 6 it has a sample army for gaurdsmen... and the basic value of a leman russ, without side sponsons or a hull las cannon is a 140...

Easy E
23-04-2007, 16:26
I have a confession. I am probably a crappy opponent. I play orks, and at the beginning of the game I am all yeah this is fun! Then, about turn three when entire mobs are disappearing from the board due to heavy bolters and assault cannons without me rolling a single dice, and in return I kill one marine... well, I start to get a little pissed off. I try not to let it show in my demeanor, but I'm sure the other guy can see it in the way I change.

The sad thing is, despite the carnage it is usually a close game that is only won or lost in the last turn, but about turn three I'm sure I'm not nearly as good of sport or as fun to play as those first two turns. In fact, I'm probably one of "those guys".

I need help.

Sekhmet
23-04-2007, 16:38
It's pronounced however us "lazy Americans" say it's pronounced, being as it is a US state, and we named it whatever we saw fit. Whether it was a poor approximation of an********* word or not is a different story, but the name of the US state is pronounced however we say it is pronounced.

And if you were born in HA WAI I, you are an American, too. Like it or not.

This is a perfect example of not reading the entire thread before posting a response. And just for your information, Americans did NOT name the state, it had the name when it was an independent kingdom, then a republic... until American troops (illegally) overthrew the government and took over the islands, making it a territory.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say that your opponent was pretty out of line, and I am sorry you had that experience. Luckily, I have yet to run into many people like that at all here in LA. But I am sure they are out there!
Do you play in the LA Battle Bunker? There are opponents like that there, but thankfully they don't show up very often.

Zedric
23-04-2007, 16:57
I have a confession. I am probably a crappy opponent. I play orks, and at the beginning of the game I am all yeah this is fun! Then, about turn three when entire mobs are disappearing from the board due to heavy bolters and assault cannons without me rolling a single dice, and in return I kill one marine... well, I start to get a little pissed off. I try not to let it show in my demeanor, but I'm sure the other guy can see it in the way I change.

The sad thing is, despite the carnage it is usually a close game that is only won or lost in the last turn, but about turn three I'm sure I'm not nearly as good of sport or as fun to play as those first two turns. In fact, I'm probably one of "those guys".

I need help.
I'm afraid to say I'm this same way. You're not alone, man. :cries:

jfrazell
23-04-2007, 17:03
In that case you'd beaten him due to phase out, he only had one necron model left on the table.

Brilliant point there.
1. You acted properly. I am not a fan of BA's, but you handled the griping well.

2. Especially poignant as the above is revealed. When would he have phased out? He doesn't know his own rules?

jfrazell
23-04-2007, 17:12

I can't wait to come back. Sounds like you have a lot of people that focus on the fun.

Don't feel bad, at least you're not a foreign country like Louisiana :chrome:

cinera
23-04-2007, 17:35
there isnt alot of people that act like that were i play my games, but once... my dark eldar were running rings around his orks. on turn three he packed up and walked out of the store...

i also noted he was quite happy to literally throw my dark eldar warriors into the corner of the board when they did die... i wasnt happy about that, but i didnt want to say anything because he looked pretty angry...

Coasty
23-04-2007, 17:39
An angry Ork player? He should have his WAAAGH-licence revoked.

EVIL INC
23-04-2007, 20:43
i also noted he was quite happy to literally throw my dark eldar warriors into the corner of the board when they did die... i wasnt happy about that, but i didnt want to say anything because he looked pretty angry...
Lucky for me, I am 6'11" and people usually dont touch my models without my permission. My glares are usually enough to stop them and if that isnt I make it plain that they arent to be touched without it soon enough. Should they actually decide to throw my models, I dont care how mad they look, I would ask them to not touch them anymore and if they continued, I would declare myself the winner of the game and leave. If it were in a tourny or some such, I would ask a judge about having them removed from the tourny for destruction of property (my army's models). Even if the judge did not judge such, it would be warning enough to get them to stop as a second such request should get them removed.

exsulis
23-04-2007, 22:08
I hate people like this. Necrons are a fairly cheesy army

Which the army isn't cheesy, Crons don't take much work to make a cheesy list of doom(their not chaos where you can accidently make a cheesy list). Granted I've only come across crazy lists though that might have more to do with the where I play.

northoceanbeach
23-04-2007, 22:20
I don't think necrons are cheesy, but for a necron player to call blood angels an 8 year old army I think is a bit off on account of the fact that I think necrons, especially a list like his are one of the easiest armies a beginner can have. Limited choices, very forgiving to mistakes, mostly alot of standing and shooting with your models all in a bunch.

Cinica
23-04-2007, 22:40
Missed watching your Blood Angels game, so I don't really know what happened there, as for that guy from the big island, yeah, hadn't seen him before, but he didn't seem like someone who'd be fun to play against.

Like others have said, there is a pretty good size group of players here on Oahu, always people to play against. Everyone is so laid back about the game too, just playing for fun. I really like this one guy's "Teddy Bear" army, and he also as a 'Nids army with Genestealers holding spoons, and apples, and Volleyballs and such.

northoceanbeach
23-04-2007, 22:58
What I'm surprised about is how many people from O'ahu there are here on warseer.

Jonahmaul
23-04-2007, 23:05
there isnt alot of people that act like that were i play my games, but once... my dark eldar were running rings around his orks. on turn three he packed up and walked out of the store...

Lucky for me, I am 6'11" and people usually dont touch my models without my permission. My glares are usually enough to stop them and if that isnt I make it plain that they arent to be touched without it soon enough. Should they actually decide to throw my models, I dont care how mad they look, I would ask them to not touch them anymore and if they continued, I would declare myself the winner of the game and leave. If it were in a tourny or some such, I would ask a judge about having them removed from the tourny for destruction of property (my army's models). Even if the judge did not judge such, it would be warning enough to get them to stop as a second such request should get them removed.

I'm with Evil Inc. Although I'm not 6'11" I am a respectable 6'2" with a skin head & some serious tattooing which usually is enough to make people respect me. I'd never throw around somebody else's models, even if they were already broken/old/not very well painted because at the end of the day it's somebody else's property. If someone was doing it to me they'd get one warning and after that I'd be throwing them into a corner!

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 03:41
I've -never- had anyone touch my models.. While I'm not the biggest guy ever I'm not the smallest.

as for necron boy... when they take 75 percent casualties I do believe it is -instant- phase out.. my codex is not really handy. but I think that is how it works

Groksnag
24-04-2007, 03:51
id have to say my brother is the worst sport i played (and still do, lack of players around here). we played a 1000point game, Orks vs Necrons, and he decideds to take the Nightbringer and rest of the points in Warriors. after I soundly beat him, he claims that he purposefully took an army for him to lose, and kept rubbing it in my face for a while. if there was anyone else to play, id play them, but he's the only one anywhere nearby with an army, so i deal with him.

Sekhmet
24-04-2007, 05:05
as for necron boy... when they take 75 percent casualties I do believe it is -instant- phase out.. my codex is not really handy. but I think that is how it works
That's incorrect, as stated previously in the thread as fact, not opinion.

bdo
24-04-2007, 05:41
those kind of players are hard to deal with. be happy that it was just one game with someone you probably wont ever play again. i have the problem that the guy i play most with (he even has his army stored at my home) is not good at loosing. when things turn out not perfect for him (i.e.: basilisks hits 2 scouts and 4 dev marines instead of 5 dev marines and one scout). he starts to see black, loses all his motivation and seems not to care anymore about tactics or options to turn the tide of battle (even if it looks good for him on most parts of the battlefield, -but his leman russ cant shot for this round after 2 fexes and 2 zoanthropes have unleashed their full ranged dmg potential and did only a crew shaken...)

so i start to wander what i can do, to cheer him a little up during the game, because its just a game. i know winning is more fun than loosing (for the most part), but even if the game is a complete whipeout of my army i still think "man - that was some serious damage you did there, congratulations" - but not my oponent : /

happened from time to time that he refused to play for a few days after he lost.

life is sad, but some people seem to think they have to be sad (or angry for that part) too - for nothing.

bdo

mcbogi
24-04-2007, 05:49
I admit I can be a terrible terrible opponent, but only when playing a close friend or my brothers. Even then I only get pissed when I'm playing well and when my tactics should grant me a victory (or at least a draw)...but the dice don't agree. This happens a lot unfortunately, think 5 penetrating shots in 5 turns (on the same vehicle) with no damage result above 1, or ~100% of leadership tests failed (ld 10).

When playing someone outside my group of friend+siblings I can laugh at my horrible luck. So when playing at tournaments I never show the Mr. Hyde who lurks in the back of my mind.

Jonahmaul
24-04-2007, 09:55
Groksnag - Can you send me a pic of your avatar please? It looks very amusing but I can't make it out properly (promise not to use it as my own Avatar!). My regular opponent is my best friend and he can often become pretty grumpy when things don't go his way & then get in a huff. I usually just laugh at him & remind him how much he usually hands my a**e to me or ply with with more beer as we usually drink when we play!

japuda
03-06-2007, 20:59
(My apologies to all Warseer forumites for thread Necromancy!)

I recently attended the most recent Gamesday on June 2nd and JUST found out that Ocean had posted this. Not cool man, I was that opponent. If your going to tell a story, you might as well include all the details.

First of all, you were a fabulous opponent and a challenge to play. That was the 'sourpuss' expression you saw the whole game, was me going over my moves in my head to deal with your approach. It was much like chess,when two guys play, it's all fun and games before and after the game.

Second, I don't see any mention of your min-maxed squads to land you a 16-20 man death company led by 2 Chaplains. That is a unit that most armies in the game regardless of who it is would have a hard time dealing with. The sheer fact that I had gotten THAT down to what it was at the end of the game with NO insta-kill weapons was just shy of a miracle.

The 8 year old comment was only partly quoted and you misread me, and the other players there confirmed that I wasn't attacking you. My comment was that an 8 year old could play your same list and have similar results against my list. I know that cause I've been beaten by an 8 year old, running that list, with a list similar to what I ran against you. It's literally the perfect list designed to take out my list and it was a gripe I've had w/BA's for sometime, not against you as a player or for your selection of army. I know there are other players out there who feel the same way about the Death Company. I will play that Old BA list vs. any of my other armies anytime.

Sportsmanship. There are a couple of things to be said here. One, I opted to play you first of all. Any player should regardless of army being played and we've all seen players who won't play others based on what they have. Second, even after finding out about your min-max'd list and ending up with one of the largest DC's I have ever seen, I played the game the full 6 turns,instead of picking up and calling it quits right then and there. Yeah, I tried to reason with you at turn 5, but it was still too close so we played it out. Lastly, where were you this last gamesday?

(Ok I'm done with that)

I was going to let this die and not let it get to me but 4 pages of incorrect information got my choler up a bit. It feels like we've indirectly implied that Hawai'i Gamers are bad sportsmen, based on playing me. Im not a 'local' player from Hawai'i.

Since I've been here, I have played against some of the best people you could ever hope to meet. Dealing with a community spread across 5 major islands is no easy task. I'm the only active player on my whole island and it costs me roughly $100-$150 just to fly over and get a game in!

Imagine my surprise when a few of the gamers are telling me about this post so long after it's happened?

As for the game. It was a very tight game, and I wasn't ahead most of it. The game had some memerable momentsl. A squad of 13 Warriors droped all of his Terminators in one round of shooting before the rest of the army shot. The best was 3 BA scouts wiping out 16 necron warriors in a sweeping advance, after the turn he charged. He dropped me below phase by one model at the end of turn 6, and since there was no turn 7 no phase occured. With each of us with 1 Scoring unit on a different objective, it as a draw.

To wrap this up, I felt compelled to explain my side of the story here. If you feel I was a bad sport after congratulating him and shaking hands after the game, then that's your decision. I'd invite you all to come down and play me for yourself. To the OP, come play again.

cleansingfury
03-06-2007, 21:12
See my thread called Cheater. Explains my sotry.

High Marshall Xias
04-06-2007, 01:57
in my time ive played alot of soar losers just horribly annoying ive recieved the comment an untrained monkey could play Black templar and win

after completely destroying his army down to the man and winning 2400 victory pionts in a 1500 pt game i said an untrained monkey would have eaten half his army by turn 2

scarletsquig
04-06-2007, 02:24
It's literally the perfect list designed to take out my list and it was a gripe I've had w/BA's for sometime, not against you as a player or for your selection of army.
Fair enough... but as this thread goes to show -

It never pays to whine about something.

Even if I've got a legitimate complaint, unless it's serious, I'll tend to not bother since it ends up making me look like a miserable git and dampens the mood.

Both your compliants during the game, and the complaints of the your opponent at the start of the thread are relatively minor and not worth bothering with - you'd both have been much happier without them :)

Brother xavier
04-06-2007, 03:45
I myself play BA and am shocked that someone would try to get 20 DC in one game, there is no need for it and just ruins the game. If I played with that army I would be bored as it's just an easy slaughter.

I once versed a list (just last month actually) that was extremely illegal. In a 1500pt game he had a DP with FNP,Daemonic flight, 5+ attacks, Khorne(FC blood frenzy), kept rolling for more attacks whenever he rolled a 6, his Bloodthirster wasn't much different, he had 3 units of 8 berserkers, all with FNP for all models, khorne, chain axes, obliterator, defiler, 5 havocs with 2LC and 2 ML, Dread, and he claimed his berserkers ignored all terrain when frenzied, so he was moving 10" over terrain, never rolling a difficult terrain test. I had a vanilla SM force. He had forgotten hid 'dex.
That game was boring as he got into combat 2nd turn only loosing 4 berserkers, I was slaughtered. I was not suprised to find out later that his force was illegal. From now on I'm going to make sure that most of my opponents have their codex unless I know they can be trusted as I've played too many games against illegal lists. :mad:

Killmaimburn
04-06-2007, 15:08
I don't think anyone can judge what a sourpuss face is, I've known folks growl constantly and they say its just because of breathing problems, I haven't spent much time staring in a mirror whilst playing board games so I don't know if I look sourpus when I play or not.
T-shirt meh, if clothing were a problem we'd all have to wear a uniform to games.(would it be worse if he instead of wearing a tshirt that showed he was attempting to fit in, wore a t shirt advocating something you strongly disagreed with?)

Blood angels have a new codex, problem solved (not going there) I think all lists can be pushed to a certain level which will draw more comment than others (I'm aware when I push the envelope the kind of responses I'll get), and if your opponent has faced a template list too many times in the past he might act more bored\playing by numbers than usual Sounds like maybe your opponent had more patience than me, to actually see the game through to the end if he wasn't having any fun.

I think this game is a great balancer- as one or two of the younger folks have said, they can kick butt and EARN respect just like everyone else, I know blokes in their 20s who still have no idea of the rules and need to be spoon fed the number of dice they should use in assault.(BTW please don't give out your age of the web kids) I wish I had the energy and time some of my younger opponents have. If neither of you taped the comment or had a judge, then treat it like a throw away thing (We certainly can't arbitrate over who might have said what when),(extracting any ageism)it sounds like he was relating you to another player who whupped him, giving you a certain pedigree if you want to see the glass as half full. I've had worse.
I have had opponents who will constantly chat and buzz (including using the word "cheese" even against my 1ksons, and throwing around "YOU MOVED 8!!"" (followed by a grin showing they're just saying it to get a rise out of me), and others that won't say a word and just stare at my head for 50 minutes, everyone has their own poker face for this game. Some more\less pleasant, some just expel gas for 50 minutes to create an atmosphere nurgle would be proud of (I think thats why warworld has those 20+ air turbines in the roof)
(mine is kind of suicidal in that I point out in a depressed manner how his squad A is obviously going to move up here and kill all my weaker squad C and win him the game,(always good tips and tactics they wouldn't have otherwise seen) So I'm very slowly learning to keep my mouth shut, from handing over games I should have won.)

You did "just smile and walk away" and then posted on warseer....
I have a tendency even if a game was really poor to only speak well of an opponent afterwards (can in extremes take me upto 15 minutes to reflect and say something nice beyond the handshake and "good game" though.), unless I think the police should be informed of something they said during the game to put me off (e.g. where the bodies are hidden or something)

To the others, just to reiterate from page 13 necron codex phase out is calculated at the start of the necron players turn after WBBs. So if he goes first and you take him beneath phase out in your turn 6 (the 2nd half of turn 6 if you will) the book says he doesn't phase out. Also BTW the FAQ says damaged warriors count as casualties if the game ends before WBB rolls can be made. It can be disappointing when the whole "just 2 more casualties.." ends up not doing what you've been trying for an hour to do, but that’s life and the game balance of necrons (speaking as a regular necron opponent)