PDA

View Full Version : New uses for old models...

obithius
22-04-2007, 20:54
Hi,
I was just sorting through my stuff here and I realised there's quite a few models that I can't use anymore.
Any suggestions as to what I could use them as/for?
I have...

Imperial Guard Stormtrooper heavy weapon team;
Imperial Guard Griffon;
6 Tyranid Warriors with boneswords;
Various Genestealer Hybrids;
Space Marine Drednought with two close combat arms;
Around a dozen Imperial Guard demolition charges;
5 human bombs with Adeptus Arbite guard.

Or maybe I should just ask for my money back;)

RavenMorpheus
22-04-2007, 21:15
Hi,
I was just sorting through my stuff here and I realised there's quite a few models that I can't use anymore.
Any suggestions as to what I could use them as/for?
I have...

Imperial Guard Griffon;

Or maybe I should just ask for my money back;)

Sell them or trade them would be a good idea, plenty of people buy stuff from ebay and there's a trading/selling forum somewhere around this site. :)

That's assuming you don't want them, if you do you could paint them as display pieces if they're not painted yet. :)

max the dog
22-04-2007, 21:23
Make a chess set. You'll need to addin a few more figs but you've got a good start.

RampagingRavener
22-04-2007, 21:38

I've never seen one, but wouldn't it work just fine as a regular Imperial Gaurd heavy weapon team?

Imperial Guard Griffon;

I belive it's rules are still around in one of the IA books, so you can still use it. Or extend the barrel of the Mortar with some tubing and use it as a Basalisk.

I presume the lower limbs are the weird paws? If so, easy. Tyranid Warriors with Scything Talons and Rending Claws. That's what I do with the three old Chicken-neck Warriors I've got with dual Boneswords.

That, I'm not too sure about. A Magos would be fine if used as a Zoanthrope, and the others could work as Genestealers with Scuttlers (they can sneak forward because they look vaguely human) but without Extended Carapace.

Mount some sort of Weapon on the shoulders, and it'd work as a Dreadnought with the Cities of Death 'Wrecker' Stratagem. Or since Chaos Dreadnoughts can take two Close Combat arms, add some spikes and repaint it up as a Chaos Dread.

These I honestly don't know about, but you could probably use them as something in the Imperial Gaurd. The Human Bombs and Arbites Gaurd could be mixed into a Conscript Squad, perhaps.

Just some ideas, I don't know what armies you collect, so not all of these might fit.

Templar Ben
22-04-2007, 21:49
I would start by writing a strongly worded letter and asking for your money back. :p

They can always be used to make unique things for Kill Teams.

The Dread could be used by a BA player if you don't play that army.

Trading would be a good idea as some people love old stuff. :D

machine_recovered_meat
23-04-2007, 01:05
Space Marine Drednought with two close combat arms
Which dreadnought?
the sarcophagus one or the really old 'fury'?
Is it painted?
If it's the sarcophagus style, and not the older one,
I'd take it off your hands for a reasonable price if you want rid of it.
Alternately, you could mail order a weapon arm.

Feor
23-04-2007, 02:07
Carapace Armoured Regular Heavy Weapon Team

Imperial Guard Griffon;
+plastic tube = Indirect Fire "makeitup pattern" Basslisk

Tyrant Guard, maybe?

Kill Team or Diorama

new Blood Angel rules in a couple months...
Alternatly, chop up the icons and call it Chaos. :)

Boobytrap/Demolition Stratagems for cityfights.

Lancaster
23-04-2007, 05:51
with a tiny bit of conversions they are combat engineers from Cities of death

Clang
23-04-2007, 08:19
vehicles are easy. Make them look destroyed - instant characterful battlefield terrain.

Zedric
23-04-2007, 10:21
I'm going to third(?) the killteam recommendation. That all sounds conversion-tastic. Except the vehicles of course, in which case I recommend your Orkz loot them.

What? You don't have any Orks? Sounds like a good excuse to start! :D

Thommy H
23-04-2007, 12:35

Gun servitors for an Engineseer. Same stats as Storm Troopers. Invent some fluff to explain it and problem solved.

Imperial Guard Griffon;

Convert to a Basilisk, or use the Armoured Company rules for it in friendly games.

Rending talons and scything claws.

Gaunts with appropriate biomorphs if they have guns, Hormagaunts if they're just equipped for close combat. Find yourself a Patriarch figure (counts as Broodlord) and a Magus (counts as Zoanthrope) and you've got yourself a Genestealer Cult themed Tyranid army.

Alternatively, LATD mutants provide hybrid-ish stats. Again, with sensible models and 'counts as' here and there you can get a nice Genestealer Cult army using this list.

Blood Angels Furioso Dread is your only option for that one I think.

Um...these have rules. Codex: IG allows command platoons to take squads with demolition charges.

Arbites are Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with shotguns (see Codex: WH). The human bombs could maybe count as Arco-flaggelants? It's not perfect, but it might work...

sigur
23-04-2007, 14:00
Imperial Guard Stormtrooper heavy weapon team;[QUOTE]
Those are fantastic miniatures. I like the suggestion for using them in someone's retinue best so far.
@Feor: uhm...you know what 2nd edition Stormtroopers looked like, right?;)

[QUOTE]Imperial Guard Griffon;
It's still perfectly usable and quite popular, thought some tournaments disallow them.

Paint them and use them as mission objectives. Genestealer Cult agents or whatever.

Isn't it pretty easy to interchange the arms? At least on the metal ones (and I assume you're talking about a Furioso Dread here) it done quite easily.

Well, as mentioned above, you can still use them but you're quite limited with those so I'd suggest using them to represent explosive charges or what the Strategem's name was in Cityfight games.

Arbites are still usable (even in IG armies as Stormtroopers or even Veterans), the human bombs could represent....uuh....not sure really. I don't like the Arco-Flagellant idea much since they tend to die without enemy impact but they tend to attack more than once (in my limited Arco-Flagellant experience) and simply are too tough for some guy with explosives strapped to the chest.

Another option, and probably the most interesting one, is setting up games of 2nd edition who allow you to use some of these minis of course.;)

EVIL INC
23-04-2007, 14:13

Imperial Guard Griffon;
VDR. Doesnt forgeworld have rules for them?

Necromunda NPCs

I am sure a chaos players can use it, I use one sometimes.

Around a dozen Imperial Guard demolition charges,
Scenario based games, Make them objectives. With a sense of humor, they can also be made into a mine-field.

Thommy H
23-04-2007, 14:40
Imperial Guard Griffon;
VDR. Doesnt forgeworld have rules for them?

The rules are in the Armoured Company PDF on GW's website. Easy to find and they're nothing too unbalancing or crazy. Most reasonable opponent's would probably let you use them in a regular IG army as long as you had a decent reason (like they're all modelled as a seige regiment or something).

Griefbringer
23-04-2007, 16:39
Stormtrooper with heavy weapon: as far as I remember, these guys looked just like ordinary non-stormtrooper heavy weapon teams, except for the funky hats (berets). I would just mix them in with ordinary IG for some variety, if the berets annoy do a head swap with some spare plastic heads. Though there might have been some cable connecting the loaders lasgun with his backpack - I wouldn't be too concerned about that, more nitpicky folks could remove it.

Genestealer hybrids: use them as some sort of mutant freaks in the Lost and Damned list - RT era genestealers tended to end up teaming with Chaos every now and then.

Demo charges: can't you still use those on special weapon teams and in Deathworld Veteran list (updated version used to be as PDF on GW website)? Alternatively, remove the charges with a knife and use the models as ordinary lasgun folks (and you can always have them carrying something else, like extra ammo instead of the demo charge).

obithius
23-04-2007, 17:20
Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
I like the kill team idea,I've never played that before so maybe I'll look into it.
Also the retinue for an Inquisitor sounds good,I have a Deamon hunter somewhere(terminator armour,hooded one,you know!),maybe I'll paint him up.

I wonder which models we're buying today will be without rules in 10 years time?:)

Coasty
23-04-2007, 17:37
Gun servitors for an Engineseer. Same stats as Storm Troopers. Invent some fluff to explain it and problem solved.

Quite so. My Techmarine has human assistants instead of Servitors for fluff reasons (okay, I like the Ad Mech but don't like the servitor models :p ).

sigur
23-04-2007, 17:55
Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
I like the kill team idea,I've never played that before so maybe I'll look into it.
Also the retinue for an Inquisitor sounds good,I have a Deamon hunter somewhere(terminator armour,hooded one,you know!)...

I hate you.;) You know, there was this thread a few days ago: "what miniature did you always want to have". Guess what my #1 or #2 was. :p

Quin 242
23-04-2007, 18:07
Dunno about the rest of your models but you should ship to me (free of charge of course) the Griffon. It's ungainly and ugly and has practically no use.
So I would be willing to dispose of it properly for you ;)

UncleCrazy
23-04-2007, 18:18
use the Griffon as a count as for a bassi, or get the old 3rd ed rule book and use it's rules. As to why they droped it in the first palce I have no clue.

sigur
23-04-2007, 18:56
...As to why they droped it in the first palce I have no clue.

I think that the excuse for dropping the Executioner and the Griffon was "we didn't have enough space in the codex book" or something like that. Anyway, it's been stated more than once (by GW) that you are perfectly allowed to use the stats/point costs from 3rd edition codex/Armoured Company list in WD (or Chapter Approved).

pookie
23-04-2007, 19:07
id take your hybrids.... lol, seriously ive found a good way to re use the old models that i dont want to use etc, is to trade them for things that are much more useful.

obithius
23-04-2007, 19:09
Yep,that Griffon entry must have taken up,ooo maybe 2 inches;)
I think it's a shame when things you have spent time and effort on are just dropped.The vehicle design rules were a good was to keep older vehicles in use,maybe they need a unit or character design rule system like Armies of Arcana.
Still,I do like the look on kid's faces when I plonk my RT Dred down and ask if I can use it!

Quin 242
23-04-2007, 19:16
You don't HAVE to ask. It's a valid GW model :) As long as it's armed with a valid weapons combo, you are golden :)

Crassus
23-04-2007, 19:39
Space Marine Drednought with two close combat arms

i'm sure blood angels can still use dreadnought with two arms

MaliGn
23-04-2007, 19:55
Use the griffon to build some terrain, a gun emplacement and a wrecked tank.

chaos up the dreadnaught

my suggestions, dunno 'bout the rest..

Bunnahabhain
23-04-2007, 20:49
Most of the stuff drooped from codex's wasn't because of space in the codex, it was due to space in store. Given the packaging that GW do, carrying a Griffon and LR Exterminator as standard vehicles takes up alot of room on the shelves. Repeat over a dozen races...