PDA

View Full Version : "Converted" IG Heavy Weapon Teams

Karnage
22-04-2007, 20:57
Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section for this as it is sort of modelling related, but it's also something which COULD relate to individual player's opinions on a certain issue.

Basically I've started using some of the spare weapons from Heavy Weapons Team sprues, along with a box of plastic Cadians and some old Tamiya sandbags to create extra heavy weapon squads for my Command Platoon.

I've already made the mortar squad, which was a matter of an arm swap or two. However, as far as the guns go, I have none of the actual arm parts for the gunners. So my question, as noobish as it may sound, is if the gunners are not physically shown MANNING the gun, and are instead stood in the emplacement, can they still actually count as gunners? Or should I wait until I can get another Heavy Weapons Squad box and just make squads of one kneeling gunner and one standing guardsman?

Sorry if it's the wrong section, just wanted some other players' opinion before I started the teams :D

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
22-04-2007, 21:00
its completely fine, as long as its obvious what they are there isn't a problem.

Cirenivel
22-04-2007, 21:04
Well, a gunner isn't always touching his gun, is he? That would be a bit weird:rolleyes:. So it's really perfectly okay, as long as you can see that "he is the guy that is shooting the thing and he is just a normal guardsman".

Cirenivel

Winimperial
22-04-2007, 21:27
Of course he doesn't have to touch the gun. I have Space Marines that aren't touching their bolters. Can they still fight? Yes.

Karnage
22-04-2007, 22:08
Cir :*laughs* Yes, I can see why people might talk about that :D

Thanks for the replies, the only reason I'm checking is because I know there are some people who tend to be all like "If he's not actually manning the heavy weapon then they can't fire it" with stuff like that, and seeing that the only spare arms I have for those guys are lasgun arms, I felt I should at least get the opinions of some of my fellow players :D

Rioghan Murchadha
23-04-2007, 02:30
Myself, I created as many 'spare' heavy weapons as I could out of the box, using all the bi/tripods and such. The rules don't say anywhere that the guardsman has to be physically attached to his gun, and since all heavy weapons crew also have lasguns, there's nothing wrong with designating a standard guardsman model as one of the weapon operators. As long as there is some way of your opponent distinguishing who operates the weapon, all is OK. (In fact, I've purposefully mounted all my crew on their own bases, for ease of placing the weapons in odd terrain.)

McGonigle
23-04-2007, 07:59
Imperial Guard heavy weapon crews have lasguns as well so why shouldn't they be assembled using those. I use this excuse all the time and so far no one has called me on it. Theres even an argument that they need to have lasguns on the model to be WYSIWYG.

Of course this arguement is helped slightly that I normally do use the option to fire the Lasguns in the game.

ancient_conflict
23-04-2007, 10:47
as long as the heavy weapon is with them its ok they dont need to be manning it they could have just jumped for cover or something

Darkhorse
23-04-2007, 10:53
If you have any of the vehicle accessory sprues spare they have a set of arms in the firing position.
Also for my autocannons I used the missile launcher arm and one which I think should be holding the binos, resting on the top of the gun.

UncleCrazy
23-04-2007, 10:54
My Mortar Team has all 3 mortars one large base and the rest on normal bases, and 3 with mortar shells in their hands to show which are the gunners.

SAMAS
23-04-2007, 15:07
Well, some of Forge World's Elysian and Kreig HWT models are shown carrying their guns or setting them up.

I say, as long as it's obvious that they're the guys who will be manning the guns when the shooting starts, I say go for it. Just don't have two regularly-posed guys who could just as easily be extra riflemen or something like that.

Quin 242
23-04-2007, 15:10
As long as two guys are specifically indicated as the crew then happy day. Model them how you like.

Codsticker
23-04-2007, 16:16
As long as two guys are specifically indicated as the crew then happy day. Model them how you like.

Exactly. Remember, in the rules there is no "gunner" and there is no "loader"; there are just two members of a Heavy Weapons team.

Paul Nexus
23-04-2007, 18:35
You could just paint a small design or emblem, even just a stripe to designate them as the crew.

Spook101
24-04-2007, 15:20
I myself have thought about modeling a guardman carrying a weapon as though he is moving it to a better location...or maybe firing it like Bragg.:)

NotElite
24-04-2007, 15:48
The old Heavy Weapons models have the firers standing there with little remote controls. Even the mortar crews. So the "as long as it is obvious" rule of common sense is fair.

Karnage
24-04-2007, 15:55
Thanks to everyone for the advice and I've just finished my first gun and crew (working on an anti-tank squad). I would be grateful for any comments/criticism or hints on how to improve on later ones. This is really my first time at trying to assemble something from spare parts rather than fixed kits before so I'm still quite new at this :D

Here it is (see attachments) :D

Onisuzume
24-04-2007, 18:48
Doesn't look half-bad at all.
Would look great in a line of them.

Though imo you could easily greenstuff more sandbags.