PDA

View Full Version : How to get her hooked up?

Kadaan
23-04-2007, 10:10
Finally I have managed to get my girlfriend to play a game of WH40K with me.

Initially it was planned, that I was going to leave last evening to go to a friend of mine for a friendly game of 40K with my newly founded Imperial Guard. The game didn't happen, it got cancelled at the very last minute.
My girlfriend, seeing my sad face, then offered me to play her with my Chaos force as a favor. I asked her over and over again if she was for real, but she really wanted to try.

So we set up the table, I made her an army list and we started to play a small game. I don't wanna go too much into game mechanics (yeah, you figured it out, I lost ;)) but all in all she really seemed to be having fun. Of course I helped her a lot, explained everything to her and provided her with helpful tips and hints. I also pulled off the old redshirt trick, trying to lur her into the clutches of GW by letting her win triumphantly...

I asked her afterwards what she thought of the game and she said she liked it apart from all the theory and mechanics I explained to her.

So now it is up to you folks. I need tactics, incentives or plain old trickery to get her infected with the hobby. How have you guys managed to get this done with your girlfriend/wife? I know at least some of you did from what I read outta your posts.

Zedric
23-04-2007, 10:15
Start her painting. Take her to your FLGS and have her pick out something to paint. Just let her run wild - maybe look through the catalog for painted stuff. Then build an army based on that. Eventually her desire to play with her little creations will overwhelm her.

Worked for my wife - albeit on Warmachine Rhulic Mercenaries. ;)

Wise Guy Sam
23-04-2007, 11:09
Ask her to give you some ideas on painting a new mini or get her to help you paint something (maybe nothing you plan to use**). You may get her to try a few times. She will probably do it just so she can hang out/get involved in something you do.

** Then again I got an old girlfriend hooked and she started a emperors children (yeah pink :p ) army and I must say they looked alot better then my first army.

Wise Guy Sam
23-04-2007, 11:11
So we set up the table, I made her an army list and we started to play a small game. I don't wanna go too much into game mechanics (yeah, you figured it out, I lost ;)) but all in all she really seemed to be having fun. Of course I helped her a lot, explained everything to her and provided her with helpful tips and hints. I also pulled off the old redshirt trick, trying to lur her into the clutches of GW by letting her win triumphantly...

So you let her win...... or did she just beat you. Its ok you can tell me, i wont tell anyone ;)

thecuckoo
23-04-2007, 11:31
My local GW has an event running at the moment - pledge to build and paint a 1500pt force. So I decided to do Eldar and out of the blue the wife said "What can I paint?" so I just showed her lots of codexes until something caught her eye. She's settled on marines (easy to build, easy to paint, easy to play) and has made up her own chapter - Storm Dragons - and has a Liche Purple and Shining Gold colour scheme.

She is up to 850pts now (started back in Feb), and the army looks great. Far better than my first attempts at a Space Marine army anyway!

So I guess my advice would be show her the books and get her to look at the models that most appeal to her. Remember that at this stage, they are not interested in how many attacks / armour save / points cost / whatever. It's probably just because something looks cool, or the background is appealing.

Try flipping through the codexes togther?

Zanusiekk
23-04-2007, 12:19
Try squigs... my girlfriend loves squigs, for some reason. It started out slow with a bunch oif squigs and squig herders, but has overtime grown to quite a large army of Brettonian night goblins (I'm not sure I understand it either). It took some time, but my only problem now is convincing her that the Warhammer Armies series of books is not a misprint, and that goblins are not, in fact, the Old World's master race...

Sorry for the fantasy incursion in the 40k forums, but my point is this: there are squigs in 40k as well :)

cinera
23-04-2007, 12:47
heres a good way, make it a project for both of you, to start a random 1000 point army. of anything she likes the look off, then when uve finished building and painting it as a pair, let her have the army.

(ofcourse you dont need to tell her its a 1000 point army or anything, just a little painting and building thing you two can do together :D )

machine_recovered_meat
23-04-2007, 13:09
You need a 'play 40k for chocolate' exchange program ;)

Maarten
23-04-2007, 13:12
So I guess my advice would be show her the books and get her to look at the models that most appeal to her. Remember that at this stage, they are not interested in how many attacks / armour save / points cost / whatever. It's probably just because something looks cool, or the background is appealing.

Try flipping through the codexes togther?

I agree with thecuckoo here. At this stage the most influential factor on "army choice" (wether or not she's actually going to play) is probably the way it looks and sounds rather than reading her stats and saying "zOMG THAT ASSCANNON ROX YO ASS!" ;)

And present it as a thing you two can do together as a couple. Or possibly point out that you two won't have to do anything together. :P

Kadaan
23-04-2007, 13:29
So you let her win...... or did she just beat you. Its ok you can tell me, i wont tell anyone ;)

She ummmm..... okay she beat me sound *hangs his head in sorrow*. But shush, don't tell anyone or I'm probably gonna jump outta my basement window ;)!

I'm gonna try the painting approach. She has watched me several times while painting and wanted to try it out anyways. So in half an hour we're going to drive into the city to my local retailer and she's gonna get a shiny new model, which she can choose on her own just by the looks and then paint it herself. I just hope she picks Eldar *crosses his fingers* ;).

Will keep you guys updated on the progress!

cinera
23-04-2007, 13:40
"I just hope she picks Eldar *crosses his fingers* ;) "

you ca now garuntee she will pick your darker cousins ^^

psykochiken
23-04-2007, 13:54
hey someone else noticed the squig thing!
that is odd, i thought i was the only person that noted an odd squig fixation

Zedric
23-04-2007, 14:05
Sorry for the fantasy incursion in the 40k forums, but my point is this: there are squigs in 40k as well :)
You may just have something here! Even though squigs are decidedly less important in 40k, my wife did look at my Orks and tell me 'his teeth are cute'. :D

Free Spirit
23-04-2007, 15:31
Lol fun topic!

My girlfriend likes to look at the Golden Demon books etc, and she enjoys watching my painted models. She doesn't care much for painting herself... or gaming for that matter. :( Ahh well, she totally accepts my hobby craze, so i consider myself pretty lucky. But ahh, to have a 40k/fantasy playing partner at home. That's fun. Unless she turns out to be a somewhat 'competitive'...

Anyway, what did she pick out?

Lord Balian
23-04-2007, 15:39
My wife had already been sucked into the gaming world of pen and paper RPGs so 40k wasn't a huge stretch. But what started to get her into wanting to collect an army was getting her the codex of the army she showed interest in. Looking through the pages of all the cool painted models and armies got her attention. It wen't from there. Maybe show her the fluff section of the big main rule book, with all the stories and such.

Another thing that got her even more into the hobby was putting a foam cutter in her hand. She started cutting up some pink foam for terrain, and now she loves making terrain, and setting a table with stuff we made and playing games on it.
Oh yea, and get her, her own set of dice that she picked out. :)

I also used to give my wife tips and hints on tactics, how to play etc. She started winning so many games, I stopped that. Now I just help her with rules she has questions about. /whisper and she still wins a fair share of games.

Bunnahabhain
23-04-2007, 15:50
Start with a girlfriend who's already into it. That's what I did....

Her all-female army (SoB) is coming along slowly.

Templar Ben
23-04-2007, 16:22
So in half an hour we're going to drive into the city to my local retailer and she's gonna get a shiny new model, which she can choose on her own just by the looks and then paint it herself. I just hope she picks Eldar *crosses his fingers* ;).

"I just hope she picks Eldar *crosses his fingers* ;) "

you ca now garuntee she will pick your darker cousins ^^

Did you miss about it being actually found in the store? I wouldn't worry too bad about her picking out a "shiny new model" that was DE. :D

Coasty
23-04-2007, 17:01
I never even considered combining two of my favourite hobbies (40K and that...) until I discovered a vast stockpile of White Dwarfs (magazines, that is) in her bathroom! We'd been together a while and I never even suspected! :D

Carlos
23-04-2007, 17:39
Several Tips:

1. Dont ever take her to your local GW. She will inevitably cause all the spotty oikish teenagers to wet themselves at the prospect females enjoy the hobby

2. Try multiplayer games and get her to team up with you vs a few mates. This way you play together as a team and there is less of a risk she will lose and thus hate it. If you both lose, you can blame yourself.

ancient_conflict
23-04-2007, 17:50
just show her some of the pictures and see what take her fancy then show her how to get started (i.e. painting etc) then guide her gently otherwise things could go horribly wrong big advice dont push it onto her

Kadaan
23-04-2007, 18:03
I can claim at least a partial victory.

When we arrived at my local retailer I was full of hope and went directly to where my beloved miniatures where located. I began to show her some blisters but that only produced a frowned face; to her all those metal models looked the same. Then I switched to Codici, showing her all those shiny pictures of painted miniatures. Dark Angels were soon considered to be boring, Eldar looked "some kinda queer" and Tau she didn't like either.

Soon afterwards I spotted the new core rulebook of Flames of War and began to randomly flip the pages, leaving her to her own fate. As it seemed she wanted to have some space of her own, which I gladly provided her with. I watched some guys playing WHFB, spoke to the local clerk about the rules for FoW and when I finally met back with her she was standing in front of a row of blisters from a P&P game.

She took the miniature of some kind of female rogue, mainly out of cost reasons. I would have gladly bought her a 40K miniature, but she said she didn't wanna ruin one of my expensive models, when she couldn't paint at all. So, as I said, I claim partial victory. Maybe she will have fun painting the miniature, even be good at it. Then I can proceed and give her some of my old models (which she doesn't want to ruin either). Leading me to my final step of getting her some models of her own to paint.

@Lord Balian: Absolutely no prospect at all for P&P RPGs. I once took her to a game of Vampire: Dark Ages, which didn't turn out too well (to put it nicely). But I'm glad that she has so far accepted my hobby, even supported my "little toy soldier game" with boxes of shiny, expensive plastic at christmas or my birthday.

AMBS
23-04-2007, 18:05
This thread should be renamed HOW TO LOSE MY GIRLFRIEND FOREVER.

UncleCrazy
23-04-2007, 18:10
My G/F liked the fluff. She likes Vampires and when I told her about BA she was like I want them. She also likes shiny. So her next army is going to be IWs. Just watch out, my G/F is loved by the dice god.

The most important thing is don't try to force her to play!

Lord of Skulls
23-04-2007, 18:12
AMBS:Why is that? My girlfriend is just finishing her 1500 pts Sisters of Battle army, and now she's planning to start redoing her High Elves...

I think it's safe to say that if I hadn't gotten her into this hobby she would have gone mad and left me long ago:p

Bunnahabhain: That's odd... My girlfriend is also making an all female SoB amry... I even converted female Heavy Weapon Servitors for her;)

And to the original poster: I wish you the best of luck! This hobby is much more fun when you share it with someone, and having someone who is always around to as for opinions is very useful;)

Lady Hope
23-04-2007, 19:37
Kadaan: Congratulations on your partial victory. Being a girl (acctually I'm the girl mentioned in the post above) I thought I might give you my story. What got me interested in Warhammer was following LoS to the gaming club. In the beginning I was bored to death, and felt really out of place, but after a while I started to watch the other gamers and started to pick up the rules. Slowly I learned the basics for both 40k and fantasy, and saw a lot of beautifully painted armies. That then made me want to start my own, and three years later I only regret that I didn't start a cheaper hobby... ;)

If your girlfriend doesn't mind following you to your gaming club once in a while, that would be my advice. You can pick up a lot from watching games, and seeing conversions and painted armies might just inspire her to make her own.

Melchiah
23-04-2007, 19:45
Ive gotten my wife to play afew times. The armies she "wants" to do are: WHFB; VC, DE, BoC, HoC. and For 40k she likes WH and Choas. We split the BFSP I have the goblins and she has the dwafs. She keeps bugging me to prime them for her but life keeps getting in the way and I forget to do them for her.
Then other days she say she not interested in warhammer. And i ended up throwing back in her face "well what about such and such" I think shes in denile of becoming a geek. No one tell her about the 12 step program.

Crassus
23-04-2007, 19:48
it's good that people are encouraging women to play the game. i've only seen one woman actualy in GW and i wasn't even sure she was a colecter/player. good luck wih what your doing!

MaliGn
23-04-2007, 20:14
In my experience, my g/f is bored to tears by the care and attention i lavish on my models, (mainyl since I ignore her I think) but she does understand that I enjoy it and that it is a part of "me", she has helped me paint some of my alpha legion, (they have a very simple paint scheme and she did only apply the all over blue wash but still.). she mentioned the other night that she would like to have such an involved hobby as I have (she knits and makes clothes). So I suggested that she use some of my vast collection of as yet unused miniatures and tried building them and painting them to see if she enjoyed it. Her response to this was that she wasn't so keen on the idea of them being so warlike and would probably prefer something like doll's house building.

Another thing, I like to show her the stuff that I am doing and explain roughly why I'm doing it, she struggles to appreciate the modelling work I do until she sees the final product and understands just how all those extra sculpted bits of green stuff were actually meant to be, I think she struggles with imagining how these things would look on the model, partly because she if often unsure as to what is what and it's purpose, she is quite good for helping me understand what will ake a model "pop".

she thought my painting was really good, then I showed her the back page of Codex: Chaos Space Marines to show her some prime examples and she saw my point that I'm not *that* good.

Fortunately my local GW is right next door to quite a good charity shop that she tends to go and have a look round rather than come into GW with me. But without my asking her to she ventured within and boought me £25 of vouchers so i could "get that castle thing you want, but I can't afford all of it" (an imperial sector kit that I told her NOT to get me). I was rather surprised and pleased with this gift as it more or less allowed me to finish a unit of emperor's children bikers. Anyway that's me and my being a "geek with girl"

MaliGn
23-04-2007, 20:17
it's good that people are encouraging women to play the game. i've only seen one woman actualy in GW and i wasn't even sure she was a colecter/player. good luck wih what your doing!

Apart from some kid's mum come to pick him up/be conned into paying for something for him/buy him chistmas present...

It always amused me the way my local GW staff used to ogle every single girl no matter of attractiveness that walked past outside, never seeming to realise that in order to ahem Interact with these women that they first had to interact with them rather than sit with a toy soldier in their hand saying "phwoar".

Melchiah
23-04-2007, 20:21
@MaliGn, your gf's view's on the game seem to be a near match with my wife's.

I had a thought that the sercet of GF/Wife gaming conveting might be doing smaller scale, baby steps as it were. Me adn starlight were talking about bloodbowl and she said that sound interesting.

CasperTheGhost
23-04-2007, 21:05
Several Tips:

1. Dont ever take her to your local GW. She will inevitably cause all the spotty oikish teenagers to wet themselves at the prospect females enjoy the hobby.

I really agree with you there. I wouldn't take her down to a GW store. That would be a mistake and a akward experience. On a side note if she meets one wired person in there she'll most likely think most of them will be like that. Trust me it happened to me before. Someone i knew not me being wired.

Apart from some kid's mum come to pick him up/be conned into paying for something for him/buy him chistmas present...

It always amused me the way my local GW staff used to ogle every single girl no matter of attractiveness that walked past outside, never seeming to realise that in order to ahem Interact with these women that they first had to interact with them rather than sit with a toy soldier in their hand saying "phwoar". LOL

I've seen quite a few women in GW stores that are playing but they are few and far between.

sir.spamalot
23-04-2007, 21:24
My GF already is into pen and paper RPG's shes always piking up random boxes around my room and asking if thats that "warhammer" thing I do...she is strangely interested in my chaos and orks. I once brought her along to my DnD group(luckily theres 2 girls with us) and she had alot of fun, and she even said that I needed to get my dwarf miniature painted because she thought he looked boring in bare metal....all in all the slow curroption into the hobby is working out well.

cheers

cheers

Midknightwraith
23-04-2007, 22:22
I'll add my two cents, since I am a proud participant in a religious numptial agreement with a semi-gamer, soon to be full fledged gamer.

My pedigree is that my wife has played multiple games of 40k and participated in several RPG campaigns. Mainly she just wanted to be close and see what all the hubub was about, but she has an artistic bent so I gave her some models to try painting, she liked the eldar which I had plenty of and we talked about different things as far as color goes. She actual paints better than me (smaller hands), and eventually we got her a SOB army(close to 2K pts). And against the Eldar guess what the WHs do really good.

As others have said invite, persuade, but never force. And do you best to keep things simple at first. The first thing my wife got excited about painting was a bloodbowl team (Amazons), and we she finished she took the head off of a Black Orc I had lovingly worked up to S5 with block. I through the block near the end of the game rolled dbl black skulls twice, and then she rolled the dreaded boxcars for injury. After that she was hooked. 40k has been a bit longer comming though because the rule book intimidated her for a long time I think, until I actually had her read some of it and she figured out the rules portion is smaller than a codex. :P

Anyway, for all you prospective GF/wife converters to the dark side, be yourself she'll either love you and begin to participate, or she'll leave you and you have to start over. Either way you still got game, so go have some fun.

Adept
23-04-2007, 22:47
I asked her afterwards what she thought of the game and she said she liked it apart from all the theory and mechanics I explained to her.

So, she liked it, except for the rules?

Doesn't sound like a promising start...

Lord Balian
23-04-2007, 23:33
@Lord Balian: Absolutely no prospect at all for P&P RPGs. I once took her to a game of Vampire: Dark Ages, which didn't turn out too well (to put it nicely). But I'm glad that she has so far accepted my hobby, even supported my "little toy soldier game" with boxes of shiny, expensive plastic at christmas or my birthday.

LOL, I made the same mistake back when were just dating. I took her with me to a gaming session with my group, of which we were in the middle of a long campaign. I think it was Middle Earth we were playing. A few months later she told me that she almost left me after that experience. hehe

Later on I ran a mini adventure with LotFR with just her. She had fun with the hole imagining her character and kicking some rear end and the usual gaming experience. Next I put together a group to play the new(back then) 3.0 DnD system. So for that it was starting from ground zero, with characters and rules that everyone was pretty new to.
She came over to my 40k gatherings, to hang out with the hosting guys wife, and saw us play many times. Eventually got talked into playing a small game with someones army, then it was off to the store and grabbing her first codex to "just look" through. ;) mwuahahaha.
If you have the stuff to make your own terrain at home, put a foam cutter and foam in her hands and see what happens.

Free Spirit
23-04-2007, 23:38
Im taking notes here! lol i shall get her in the hobby! Anyway... my girlfriend likes DnD, just not the fact that you gotta save time for it every week. She'd like games to be casually 'when you feel like it'. So we do play alot of videogames ( fight games! ) that's pretty cool. And tell me about the eye goggling of GW hormone crazed teens!

Got a funny story about that one... Okay one of my best friends who i've known for about 8 years is a really great friend and she's goodlooking too! She has done a fair bit of modelling work and stuff like that. So i was having a bite with her in the city on some afternoon and i got a call from GW that my mail order was in. So i told her we had to swing by and pick it up ( since it wasnt far from the place we were eating ) and she was like: okay no problem. We walked in there and everyone was jumping to corners and started talking in whispering voices. I actually had to hold in my laugh. She even bought some plastic glue ( she needed it for a school assignment ). Next time i came in that GW they all asked me who she was and if she plays and stuff. Had to dissapoint them. She does love to goggle my mini's but she will never play. She urged me to paint of my chaos marines pink, wich ofcourse i will never do. If she would ever do an army, ... *shivers*

Indrid Khold
23-04-2007, 23:43
Well, my girlfriend happens to be the coolest lady in the world, so she finds my occasional 40K rambling endearing, but I would advice anyone trying to get anyone else at all into the game to LAY OFF THE "THEORY."

Just explain the damn rules to them and let them do their thing. Give them hints, but they don't need a huge doctoral thesis on WHY you gave them the tip. Let them enjoy the game and make their own mistakes for a while, then they should hopefully evolve into an interest in "theory" or grand strategy or whatever. And thus become a total loser like you. :)

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 01:03
no idea. never had a gf that even knew I played this game.

I imagine the best thing to do is bring her along gradually?

if she seems intrested maybe show her some of the stuff...

Gandhi
24-04-2007, 06:41
This thread should be renamed HOW TO LOSE MY GIRLFRIEND FOREVER.

Quoted for truth ^____^ *ALSO! Can I sig this?? Everyone else has sig'd one liners.. I want in on that band wagon =P*

I've always thought that the timing for trying to introduce loved ones into your dorky hobbies should be precise. Similar to the first time you fart in front of them, it has to pass smoothly and without wrinkled faces lest ye be doomed.

My g/f plays video games as religiously as I do, so I don't want to push my luck with tabletop gaming so much. She has seen and complimented(Followed by calling me a dork =P) my Eldar that I have painted and resting on my computer desk... And I know she has some history with D&D...

As for your g/f though, it kinda sounds like you are trying to force feed her the hobby. Taking her out and shoving all these models/pictures in her face can be slightly over bearing for a person who is just getting into it. I suggest that you take it a bit slower with her, so as not to scare her away from the hobby (Or even you O__O).

Ragnor2004
24-04-2007, 06:56
Haha My girlfriend also seemed to have prayed to the dice gods, but for mine I got her into DND and 40K by using dice, not to be mean I love her to death and shes is really cute but is kinda like a cat and loves shiney things, and now she has earned the nickname dice whore because every time we make a trip to a gaming shop she has to pick up a new set of dice, also i would try to keep the games short she doesnt like it if we bicker about rules as she doesnt have the greatest attention span, but she kicks my butt everytime we play, now she has a fully painted about 2K ultramarine army because she loves Calgar and she is now starting SOBs

Zedric
24-04-2007, 08:31
AMBS:Why is that? My girlfriend is just finishing her 1500 pts Sisters of Battle army, and now she's planning to start redoing her High Elves...
Some girls just aren't cut out for the rigors of...

[snip] the way my local GW staff used to ogle every single girl no matter of attractiveness that walked past outside, never seeming to realise that in order to ahem Interact with these women that they first had to interact with them rather than sit with a toy soldier in their hand saying "phwoar".

Except replace "my local GW staff" with "lots of gamer folks". Women can get a lot of undue attention in a gaming establishment and that can be unnerving, even if nothing is inappropriate or offensive. :D

escape_dan
24-04-2007, 09:03
Haha, great reading so far!

Im so far a lot more unlucky in the "getting the g/f interested" as she has made it clear she doesnt like it at all (apart from saying how well painted my models are).

She is an absolute computer nerd though and lives on Second Life (Imagine the Sims online but a lot more bigger, weirder and worse) and I often poke her about that but I get the good olde nerd bashing back!

I love her to pieces and I would never force her into it but if she did then I would be over the moon ;0)

Alessander
24-04-2007, 09:23
When demoing a game, don't mention stats or game phase names. Saying "these models are WS 4 and the I4 during the assault phase" can scare off newbies, just saying "they are better in combat so they need 3's or higher to hit" is a better intro. This is how GW demos their games.

Ruroni
24-04-2007, 16:33
I have a similar situation to some in that My gf takes interest in my painting, compliments me, and gives suggestions. She's totally cool with me playing, to the extent that she didnt mind when I turned our dining room into a game room with a 6x4 table hahah. She dosen't seem interested in playing really, but will often watch tv in the room while I play or something.

PMTN
24-04-2007, 20:06
Ah if only my girls were so understanding. But hey when you take a girl back to your room and she happens to sit on your monolith, what are you going to be concerned about

The women or the monolith, i know what any sane man out there would pick

his plastic tank.

Captain Micha
25-04-2007, 01:15
I agree... the top of my monolith seems sort of fragile....

Batwings
25-04-2007, 01:31
"OMG THAT ASSCANNON ROX"

I've always found it wise to steer clear of the phrase 'ass cannon' when trying to persude a young lady to do anything!

Bretonnian Lord
25-04-2007, 01:49
I think the best way to get her into the hobby is to let her go at her own pace. A little prodding from you might be good, but I think it's best if you let her enter the hobby by herself so she gets a feel for it and so she can decide what she wants to collect, paint, etc. Also, too much enthusiasm might overwhelm her and make her leave the hobby (and you) forever instead of what you really want. ;)

Ryu_ookami
25-04-2007, 02:01
sounds like i'm lucky then, as my Gf collects skaven for mordheim, is considering dark elves for warhammer and will be collecting nids when she starts collecting for 40k as apparently the nids are cute!

adreal
25-04-2007, 02:42
Nid's are cute.....

My ex got into the game because she saw how inthusiastic I was about it, and got annoyed that I went to my game club some nites instead of seeing her.

The monolith thing has sorta happened to me once, I had my fully converted and painted, very breakable (unpinned) tomb king in chariot resting on my CD stand, and my bed (top bunk) was right next to it, me and my lady friend were on my bed and she knocked a pillow off and onto my CD stand, thus knocking off my tomb king, he broke part in every way imaginable. Wasn't too happy, but yeah

Pekel
25-04-2007, 03:05
I commission paint to make the money to visit my girlfriend when we're at our colleges, so if for that reason alone she'd be glad I'm in the hobby. She's come across concept sketches of mine in school notes and enjoyed looking through my Eldar codex (flying bases are "pretty") and at my miniatures. She also insisted on coming along when I planned to hand off my commission work.

If I were interested in getting her to play I'd be coy about it. I'm pretty sure if I framed the situation in a way that made me very reluctant to let her in on it her curiosity would be piqued. She has mentioned wanting to play/watch a game. and she's been to GW with me several times when I've picked things up.

But don't force it. Make her beg for it! At least that's how it works with this girl. She likes when I pretend not to like something so she has to force me to do what I wanted in the first place. We both know what's going on, though. It's like a game in itself.

WilhelmRochRedDuke
25-04-2007, 14:58
Ok, my wife will look at a finished mini after I painted it and say "that looks nice" give it back and move on to what she needed to ask me. But she will never get into the hobby.. She would never have the time or even wan't to make the time for the hobby.. She is not that type.. She lets me be a geek once or twice a month to play with "My Barbies" and that's about it.. Our schedule doesn't have alot of flexibility. I schedule gaming a month in advance.. She knows that I need this hobby to relax and be creative. She watches her TV shows and such to unwind, and I go to my hobby/desk area to paint, convert and build.. Be grateful if you have someone to be with you and accept your hobby.

KITS AND BITS
25-04-2007, 15:11
Some girls just aren't cut out for the rigors of...

Except replace "my local GW staff" with "lots of gamer folks". Women can get a lot of undue attention in a gaming establishment and that can be unnerving, even if nothing is inappropriate or offensive. :D

Well thats because they are female in a male domain ! why are we so obbsessed with trying to include women into this hobby , they have already taken over everthing else we used to enjoy ,golf ,football ,drinking ....etc

now they want to war game !

vampires are cool!
25-04-2007, 15:15
Strip 40K was my way of coaxing. Then it moved on to body chocolate 40k...

Bravery exists
25-04-2007, 15:17
Well, when the tau empire codex came out on april the first i was convinced it was an april fools so i sent my girlfriend in to get it and she reported that she elicited much help from all the redshirts. She did get slightyl interested and i bought her a box of genestealers after she called them "little gribblies" she painted them but then she lost interest after she bought some pet rats. I have tried showing her skaven...

corsair_01
25-04-2007, 23:10
funny this is Exactly What happened to me but my GF played my eldar
and me well... Dark angels, and yes she won!

Fear is the mind killer
25-04-2007, 23:54
A little prodding from you might be good

:D

I agree, let her join the hobby at her own pace just like male gamers. My advice would be to see what appeals to her the most from the game. Is it the story, the models, the painting, the playing or something else? Support that and mention other parts of the hobby and see what appeals to her from there until she's hooked on various aspects of the hobby.

MADJAP77
26-04-2007, 01:13
my girlfriend love the orks story and orkizims. we were at the dirt mall (flea market) and she saw a bunch of metal scraps and said "ohh shiny, me thinkz da boss wud luv dis" and my heart just melted. she likes dawn of war over the table top version only because the gretchen make her laugh so hard she snorts.

Ironspy
26-04-2007, 03:32
You can't really force someone into a hobby. Doesn't work like that.

As for my girlfriend, she loves painting 40k with me and wants to start a Tau army. When I first met her I noticed that there was a space marines command box from 3rd edition sitting in the corner of her room. I said "we're getting married like, right now."

[dice0]

Pekel
26-04-2007, 09:01
Just had a fun chat with her and she was interested (though much more in fantasy, sadly). But she liked the Dark Angels. Maybe I'll do a SM squad with her someday so she can join in games.

DarKMasteR
26-04-2007, 15:37
Hiya all,

Just thought I would get some advice, I'm trying to get my gf interested in the hobby, ever since we been together she has stated how "nerdy" and "stupid" this great hobby of ours is, but to be fair she has never tried to stop me doing it and I wouldn't of thought of trying to get her involved due to her views. Now i have to admit sometimes I can be quite messy leaving codexs and wd lying about and last week she had admitted to me that she had in fact read a couple of them and proceeded to recite them back to me word for word which I have to say I was impressed by. after hearing this I made a suggestion that if she wanted she could come watch me play and even join in if she likes to which she was hesitant about as she didn't want to be "thrown in with a load of weird people" (her words lol):D so I can up with the idea that she could come watch and join in a game with me and a mate of mine that she knows quite well one of the days during the week at our local club so that it will be just us 3 to which she seemed open to the idea of. Now like I say its been over a week now and she’s not said anything else and I really want to try to get her into the hobby as I know she would enjoy it as she loves games any games which force you to think and she's very competitive, I just need to be careful as I don't want to scare her away just because some people believe it to be "nerdy or sad".

Any advice much appreciated!:angel:

Fear is the mind killer
26-04-2007, 17:47
If you take them to a local gaming club, do so on a quiet night so that she's not overwhelmed by hormone-mad teenagers with their jaws lolling open, then get her to keep visiting at increasingly busy times until she could take on Games Day.

thecuckoo
29-04-2007, 08:38
I posted earlier about my wifes Space Marine army. Well, she entered a painting comp at the local store and won!

http://uk.geocities.com/gilliesjones@btinternet.com/IMAGE_022.jpg

The Marine is hers, the shadowseer is mine.

Death Before Dishonour
29-04-2007, 08:49
Well maybe play a small game with her and show her the basics, try to make it fun and a laugh. That'll encourage most people to come back despite their pre-conceptions

Free Spirit
29-04-2007, 09:13
Well 2 days ago i followed Kadaan's example!

I had a fun day with her last friday ( we did a city tour and some shopping and stuff, sunny weather ftw ). I bought an army carrier bag and she started looking at all the models in the ( third party ) shop. We often talk about models and background and she kind of likes the fluff and looking at my painted models. I suggested to her that she could paint a model if she wished and she was like: Yeah really?? That's cool. I was shocked, she was quite enthusiastic. Well we went on to the GW and i let her look at cool models. She immediately fell in love with Eldar and she wants to paint a howling banshee. Problem is, no blisters ( and she refused to let me buy her the squad sized littel box ). So she told me that next time when i mail order, i could put one howling banshee there and she's gonna paint it! That was pretty cool. Now.... i just have to wait for the need to mailorder.

Atoom
29-04-2007, 09:27
Now.... i just have to wait for the need to mailorder.

:wtf: Get cracking, this is the chance you have been waiting for! Grow a need for mailorder today, buy the box in GW or find a banshee 2nd hand.

Fear is the mind killer
29-04-2007, 11:57
If you suddenly need to do a conversion that popped into your head, you'll just have to mail order to save money. Might as well ask her if there are any other single minis you can order for her from the Eldar range that she likes the look of, as well as which howling banshee to order.

thecuckoo: Is that marine a Soul Drinker or a Hawk Lord or some other chapter? The shadowseer is superb BTW.

thecuckoo
29-04-2007, 14:49
It's a DIY-chapter she calls the Storm Dragons. I'm pleased with the shadowseer :) thanks.

Laughingmonk
29-04-2007, 19:15
Well, my GF is rather indifferent to it, as the only thing she really sees of it are the occasional models that I paint.

One of my friends says his wife loves the game... and she doesn't have anything to do with it whatsoever. Why?

Because it keeps him out of trouble. Seriously girls, if you have a gamer as your boyfriend, you can use it as a leash so easy it's not even funny.

Wife: So what are you doing tonight Honey?

Husband: I was thinking about going out with some friends ( Read:I was thinking about going out and getting completely destroyed, and then coming back at maybe 3am, if I don't get pulled over for a DWI).

Wife: That's sounds nice. Too bad about that entire necron battleforce on your painting table...

Husband: Huh?

Wife: Yeah, it was on sale, so I picked up for you.

Husband: Hey! Thanks! I love you Honey. (Forgets about going out with friends, and decides instead to invite said friends over for a night of gaming/ painting)

Wife: I love you too. Now go put together your models.

Conclusion: Both the girls and the boys are happy, and disaster is averted...

OscExodus
29-04-2007, 19:21
Congrats on getting ur girl to play i have been trying to get mine to wacth non the less play for over 2 1/2 years now she doesnt want to try hear or anything about the game so im envious of u now so i must say i hate u at the asme time

starlight
29-04-2007, 20:09
Most often what *hooks* her is the painting aspect.

Buy her a model for crying out loud! Sheesh! Especially you!:eyebrows: Get those models painted. Every day you don't is like saying, "Here's a list of things that are more important than you honey, suck it up." It frosts me to hear "She's so wonderful, she buys me models for my birthday and Christmas, but she won't paint any of mine becasue she doesn't want to ruin it..."

And why the blue blazing hell haven't you got your slack ass off the couch and bought her a model of her own to paint? Surely *she* has a birthday or Christmas too? Why not splurge the extra $14 for a surprise gift and get her something she's expressed interest in *and if not she can exchange it!

For all those who have video gamer girlfriends, get Dawn of War! Gee Whiz people, it's not hard.

Kudos to those who have taken the time and effort to care about their girlfriends/spouses enough to try including them in their activities. Shame on the ones who spend more time on the excuses than on the actual attempts.

:eyebrows:

/rant

:p

WoW_Auron
29-04-2007, 23:37
For all those who have video gamer girlfriends, get Dawn of War! Gee Whiz people, it's not hard.

Haha, i actually met my g/f through playing World of Warcraft! Which i guess sounds kind of sad, actually, to ME it sounded kinda sad. This whole thing has been a new experience to me. But having said that she lives reasonably close and we spend alot of time together. Infact, come september we're moving in together. /grin.

Anyways, to the quote, i have Dawn of war! :p

Her brothers also do a little WH40K and play alot of games, so its not a new thing to her. She's the first g/f i ever had that i found i could share all this stuff with, without having to be worried she'l find it strange!

Anyways, this is no love-fest :rolleyes: what i was going to say that with stuff like this. Games, tabletop, whatever. Females will always be females (don't take offence to that ;)), by that i mean even with these things, they are attracted by things they find cute. It's a good way to get them hooked.

For example, my g/f loves Turtles, she has one for a pet in World of Warcraft. Same with football, most of them take an interest because they find some of them to be cute.

She immediately fell in love with Eldar and she wants to paint a howling banshee See! puurdy.

Perhaps you can tie her interests into the hobby somehow. Find them something that looks nice, or relates to an interest of hers. She's obviously considerate enough to play, just because it's important to you! A trait of a true relationship indeed, sharing each others interests. Lucky you! /wink

I actually told my g/f to bring a load of anime stuff with her at her last visit to see me, i always hated the stuff. But i wanted to watch some with her because she found it interesting, i've loved the stuff ever since!

Oh and @ Starlight, why does everything have to involve buying something for a woman, eh? :p

WoW_Auron
30-04-2007, 00:10
Raah, seems it isn't updating properly *frown*

starlight
30-04-2007, 00:11
Because it leads to sex. Everything we do for/with/about/surrounding women leads to us hopefully getting sex.

Or so the women say.:p

Personally, I do it for the cookies.:D

If gaming has an element that she likes (painting, collecting, kicking your butt at anything) then she is more likely to be interested. If it doesn't have *some* element that she likes, then she isn't likely to be interested no matter what you do.

Snapchuck
30-04-2007, 00:18
Seems like she only started into the hobby because she was sorry for you. Sadly I know about three other wives/girlfriends who also took their first steps because the were sorry for their man for some reason. Bummer. I agree with others though, get her to paint just one model. Best place for anyone to start, not just girls.

My wife never feels sorry for me.

starlight
30-04-2007, 00:23
My ex felt so sorry for me, she took all her armies when she left.:cries:

WoW_Auron
30-04-2007, 00:54
Awh! Starlight! Here, have a violin ;)

Im actually thinking about gathering us DoW playing forum users up for a game or two :p

Fear is the mind killer
30-04-2007, 01:14
Well if you want to talk about exes I could tell you tale, no make that a saga of woe. Lesson learned: Don't Marry The Psychotic Ones.

Anyway, back on topic, you should forget that she's a girl and treat her exactly the same way you treat anyone else who mentions that they're interested. I remember a particularly good article from WD (so naturally it was quite a long time ago) that explained how to introduce a friend to playing WHFB, but the principles are much the same. Play a game alongside them without using fancy rules, give them a vague description of each unit's abilities (don't give them the whole WS, BS thing) then offer advice but do not tell her what to do, do not roll her dice and do not move her models. Keep it in a friendly atmosphere such as against a regular friendly opponent (preferably a reliable one who will turn up on time). Repeat again, gradually introducing more rules, unit types, special abilities etc. until she gets the hang of it.

WoW_Auron
30-04-2007, 11:51
Lesson learned: Don't Marry The Psychotic Ones.

LOL!

Ooooh, Fear is the mind killer, you're from lincoln too? What are the chances! hehehe. ;)