PDA

View Full Version : What works well against Titans?

fracas
23-04-2007, 11:42
other than titans, what works well against enemy titans?

do you have to deploy anti-titans units? do these work well against non-titans as well?

what about artillery?

or aircrafts?

Steve54
23-04-2007, 12:10
It really depends on what armylist you are useing and also what size of game.

Some standard tactics are -

For IG - strip the shields using Vultures and then hit them with Deathstrikes (works best against Imperial/ork/\Chaos titans who lose their shields ie.not \eldar)

For SM - large air assaults/teleport assaults ideally with multiple Terminators.
Always try and prepare the assault though ie. place BMs on the titan, try and have support nearby, make sure you have Inspiring characters.

orangesm
23-04-2007, 12:48
I suggest reading through Hena's Batrep - Space Marines Armor vs Titan Legion.

Pulsar
23-04-2007, 15:14
and if your facing Eldar some of the ways to beat them are:

disrupt: with eldar because they have a low amount of DC compared to other titans of the same cost they break much more easily. long range AT: with Holo Fields most TK and MW weapons are not nearly as good, so if you can make the titan take as many normal saves a posible in stead of one or two high powerd ones. Also if you can avoid it never Engage a Warlock Titan in FF they are hard as hell!:evilgrin: but conversly you want to get Revenant and Phantom titans in an Engagement because they tend to lose and break, then it's just a matter of keeping an enemy unit within 30cm
and hope they don't rally, thus take them out of the game.:)

Hena
23-04-2007, 16:10
As others have said it depends on army your using and titans your opponent is using. Smaller ones (Stompa, Warhound, Revenant etc) can be killed quite easily. Larger ones (Reaver, Gargant, Phantom, Warlock) require more work, but should be doable with larger amount of AT fire. Though usage of crossfire is highly suggested. Then comes the monsters (Great Gargant, Warlord) which are rather nasty to take out. But remember that you don't need to take the largest out in order to win.

Example about that tactic is Marine vs. Orkimedes Gargant Big Mob
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=7575

fracas
23-04-2007, 23:11
so massed AT fire maybe sufficient?

orangesm
23-04-2007, 23:54
Yes maybe sufficient. Depending on its size you are going to need more than a single formation firing on the target titan.

Also I do not think it has been mentioned by BP weapons will get to roll half the targets DC in damage (if I understand the rules right).

Hena
24-04-2007, 03:25
If you have easy access to TK (titan killer) and MW (macro weapon) weapons, then of course those are more effective. But with crossfire you can drop save by 1 and that usually helps a lot. As I said it depends on the army your using. With Marines (as was in my example), there is very little TKs and MW weapons around.

fracas
24-04-2007, 11:25
thanks

i am leaning toward IG or siegemaster
but am reluctant to take superheavies (seems unrealistic ... i know, it is sci fi but most current real tanks have concerns about sinking into the soil as is) and don't want to take titans myself

Hena
25-04-2007, 06:44
With IG/Siegemasters the best choice for titan hunting is Deathstrike and Shadowsword. Those both are made for it. Best way is to use AT weapons first to drop shields of a titan and then use TK weapons to punch through.

Much used combo is the Vultures (drop shields with one use missiles) and Deathstrike Missiles to finish it off. I myself have not used the Vultures, but Deathstrike and Shadowsword I have.

mark_logue
05-05-2007, 04:02
The other thing is to get them with a lot of massed fire power after they have activated. Its not much good to hit them almost to breaking point only to have them Marshal and undo all your good work. Especially if you have units near them so that they can kill something during the round they Marshal.

Moscovian
09-05-2007, 02:32
Breaking a titan is usually the best way to keep it at bay. Lay lots of Blast Markers and keep close to make sure that they don't activate.

Another tactic is to drive scouts of cheaper formations forward so that the Titan is in their Zone of Control. This forces the Titan to maneuver more, often out of position, or spend the turn 'wasting' its fire on an inexpensive formation. I was foiled an entire attack spearheaded by a Warlord Titan by pushing it back with my Eldar Warwalkers. It looked ridiculous, but it worked.:D

Brushmonkey
09-05-2007, 07:41
i thought that Titans could barge past formations?

Hena
09-05-2007, 08:43
WE can barge into formation on engage. If it does not have engage, it is not allowed to move into ZoC. If WE is in ZoC when it activates it can either engage or move out of ZoC, but it cannot move through a formation.

Also with engage WE can barge into formation, but it must move towards the nearest unit (unless it has Infiltrate ability). So it still cannot move in ZoC without other considerations. And the units stay wihtin base to base contact so at the end of the move, there is still assault.