PDA

View Full Version : What to purchase next for Tau?

Vic
23-04-2007, 15:12
Admins:

Wasnt sure where this would fit. I need help deciding on a Tau Purchase:

I have an ethereal, 6 Crisis Suits, one Broadside, 2 Hammerheads, a devilfish, a squad of pathfinders, a 6 man squad of xv15 Stealth suits, 5 12 man squads of fire warriors, a squad of kroot and 24 gun drones.

I was thinking of getting a Tau commander in a crisis suit, and two Pirhanna and a krootox for my kroot squad. Im also thinking maybe another Broadside, but I also like the Skyray. Which of the two heavy supports should I get? Im thinking with 2 Broadsides on a team, that would give me better survivability than with just one Skyray. Also, I already have 2 Hammerheads, so maybe just one Broadside and leave my heavies at that? With regards to the Pirhanna, are they worth their points? Having an ethereal, should I bother upgrading to a Tau commander?

I've had my Tau for a number of years, but only recently been building the models that I have on hand and bought the codex 3 months ago. OK, so Im slow at building an army :D Forgive my ignorance on Tau composition :confused:

Vic
23-04-2007, 15:45
*Bump*

Hoping to make a purchase today at lunch time.....anyone with input?

Cirenivel
23-04-2007, 15:51
Things to get:
Get 5 Devilfishes for your fire warriors, great for the added mobility and fire power. then you should get a commander as you say, since he's 1+, however you can use a normal crisis suit for him, so he's not the biggest priority. Then you should probably get a pirhana and 6-12 kroot hounds, depending on the size of the squad as it is now, then maybe some more kroot. Next, I would say 2-3 sniper drone teams, great value, and it gives you another heavy support option.

Things to steer away from:
Seriously ditch the sky ray, it's just not worth it, since you will have to roll to hit twice! and it's uses is also limited(it's decent vs. flyers tough). Also keep away from the krootox, since it negates one of the kroots' best abilities, infiltrate, and forces them to set up at the same point as everybody else, it's also pretty easy to kill because of the low toughnes.

That's my best advice, have fun

Cirenivel

Vic
23-04-2007, 16:19
thanks for the heads up!! OK, so no skyray :(, a commander, and some hounds instead of a krootox. got it!! I'll get a couple of devilfish for now too....

Dribble Joy
23-04-2007, 16:35
Nine Broadsides.

Dakka Dakka!!!

ancient_conflict
23-04-2007, 16:40
more pathfinders or vespids and if your going to get piranas get the squad box of 3 you save a fiver

i will say one thing about the sky ray is that it doesn't have to fire directly and another unit with a marker light can fire them off then you can detach the drones and then you have a flier with a burst cannon (if they get one)(codex out of reach at the mo as its in another building)

Vic
23-04-2007, 16:46
There's no 3-box Pirahnah that I can see. Also, not gonna go broke getting nine broadsides (I have a mortgage, 5 kids and a wife to take into consideration).

Mr Zephy
23-04-2007, 16:46
Do get a skyray- it has all the parts for a hammerhead, and you can convert it with spare parts to be a devilfish as well.

Kegluneq
23-04-2007, 16:57
Mr Zephy is right in that you should buy a Sky Ray rather than a Hammerhead - but only if you really need one, and since you have two already that shouldn't really be the case.

Additional Devilfish would be a good bet, or another Broadside or two.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this already, but in 4th edition Commanders are compulsory units. Equip them as a Shas'el with TA and you have the cheaper sniper option, or make them a Shas'o to give them slightly more surviveability in combat - your choice.

You might want to try playing with a special character as well; they are a cheap way moneywise to greatly change the way you play your games.

Only get more than a basic squad of kroot unless you play with wooded terrain a lot. They're reasonable snipers/speed bumps, but their CC abilities are not all that hot against anything other than IG, even with kroot hounds. Krootoxes are weaker in the new codex, but would be affected by majority toughness anyway.

The Orange
23-04-2007, 16:58
My my that's qute an army you've built up already (or are building up :eyebrows: ). How would I add to it?
Another Broadside or 2 would fill that up nicely. I love my Broadsides, and always take 2.
A handful of more Devilfishs would be good if you every want to try a mechanized army. Potentially you could just buy a skyray, which can then be used as either a skyray (duh), a Hammerhead, or a devilfish (with some conversion work of course). Two birds with one stone as they say, so it might be best to just pick up a skyray first.
As for the Kroot, I'd go for hounds first, very usefull. If you feel like it, go ahead and get some Kroot Ox, people are too hard on them, and personally thier one of my favorate models to work on (painting wise, not when trying to put them together). They provide some nice hth muscle too.
Piranha's I hear are good fun, since you already have a sizable core army, I'd say that their a nice fringe unit to expand with.

Having an ethereal, should I bother upgrading to a Tau commander
You know you must have a Tau commander in every army right? You haven't been using your ethereal as your only HQ have you? That being said, i'd just use a regular crisis suit as a commander. Their's no need to get the Commander Battlesuit unless you wan't to use the bits for all those Special Issue items.

Kegluneq
23-04-2007, 17:00
Their's no need to get the Commander Battlesuit unless you wan't to use the bits for all those Special Issue items.
...Which you do. The CIB and the AFP are very good anti-horde weapons, and I typically take at least one in every game.

Vic
23-04-2007, 18:11
ok, for this round, ordered a tau commander Crisis suit, and a Broadside. Next purchase, a Skyray :) and 2 Pirhana.

I may leave the Kroot at the core box set, as I already have 60 Fire Warriors....

Bregalad
23-04-2007, 20:53
Have a look at the Tau Tactica to get a feel for different army compositions.

Of course you first need a Commander Crisis suit first to fulfill the 1+ HQ choice. And it is worth it (if you do not take FW Suits that is;))

Tournament armies often have 1 Fire warrior squad, 1 Kroot squad, 2-3 Hammerheads plus the rest some suits (mostly Fireknife: Plasma and missiles), Crisis or stealth.

But taking 6-9 Broadsides is also a strong choice. Never underestimate Kroot. Take some and infiltrate (NO Krootox). Experiment with some Piranhas, their Gun Drones alone are a nuisance for the enemy (no VPs for destroying them :))
Personally I would not take an Ethereal. ANd if you take marker lights (expensive!), you must organize your complete army around that. generally I wouzld prefer a Hammerhead to a Sky Ray (but buying the Sky Ray for the extra parts, esp. the missiles!)

Captain Micha
23-04-2007, 23:52
Fish!

sky rays. (for the extra stuff if nothing else)

ewww you have krootox? how do you use those things?

have you thought much about finders with rail rifles?

Vic
24-04-2007, 00:28
I have 3 finders with rail rifles already. Got them when the PC game Fire Warrior came out (GW did a game tie-in).

The Orange
24-04-2007, 03:03
...Which you do. The CIB and the AFP are very good anti-horde weapons, and I typically take at least one in every game.
And I never take them, so not every one needs it, :eyebrows: .

ok, for this round, ordered a tau commander Crisis suit, and a Broadside. Next purchase, a Skyray :) and 2 Pirhana.
Sounds good, now get crackin and start building, :evilgrin: .

ewww you have krootox? how do you use those things?
I use them to beat the snot out of anything T3 and/or genestealers.

have you thought much about finders with rail rifles?
ewwww finders with rail rifles how do you use those things? :p

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 03:30
I just find that finders are better at cracking things open than kroot guns.... also, my kroot are my assault unit.. or my cannon fodder (depending on my mood lol) the kroot gun just seems kinda a waste ya know?

Vic
24-04-2007, 04:00
Anyone know where I might assembly instructions for a Broadside? I am building one, and realized I dont have directions. I normally cut parts off sprues, cut up the directions if printed on the box or fold the direction booklet and put them in ziplock bags. Saves space, but then I run into problems like this.

I am guessing I assemble the Crisis suit the same way, but then where do the rail guns go etc??

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 04:32
well I would put them on the arms.. they look soo much better that way!

Dyrnwyn
24-04-2007, 04:43
Anyone know where I might assembly instructions for a Broadside? I am building one, and realized I dont have directions. I normally cut parts off sprues, cut up the directions if printed on the box or fold the direction booklet and put them in ziplock bags. Saves space, but then I run into problems like this.

I am guessing I assemble the Crisis suit the same way, but then where do the rail guns go etc??

Railguns mount on the shoulders, using the same mounts as normal Crisis weapons. You might want to convert them to be on the arms instead, since I had a heck of a time getting the guns to stay on the shoulders, and they're top heavy if you stick them on top. Use the pewter feet instead of the normal Crisis feet, and those L-shaped bits are for covering up the Jetpack nozzles.

The Orange
24-04-2007, 06:01
I just find that finders are better at cracking things open than kroot guns
I find sniper drones better for that. Easier to hide, and cheaper too.

... also, my kroot are my assault unit.. or my cannon fodder (depending on my mood lol) the kroot gun just seems kinda a waste ya know?
Kroot guns good for takin down genestealers (my buddy like to take the works, so 1st turn long range AP4 guns are nice) but I prefer them for the 4 STR6 attacks on the charge, Inquisitors go squissh, :p . Like I said too many people don't give them a chance.

First take a good long look at all the metal bits and figure out where they go, and what they replace. You don't want to assemble the model and find out you put the wrong piece on, and can't remove it.
There are whole new metal arms that replace the battlesuits regular arms, and there are new feet that replace the battlesuits feet.
Thier are 2 plates with bumps, these are the missle that go on the 2 metal arms.
Railguns go on the sholder, that should be pretty easy.
Finally thier's 2 meatal pieces that go over the jump jets to make them look like power generators.

If all else fails, cut off what pieces you think you need and dry fit it all (i.e. don't glue anything), if it looks like something is missing, go back and check the sprue and add untill your happy.

Vic
24-04-2007, 14:25
Thanks, But I have a commander crisis suit and another Broadside coming this Friday, so I put aside the Broadside and built 2 Crisis suits instead. Tonight, I'll stop at Radio Shack and pick up a couple boxes of Rare Earth magnets to attach weapons to my suits (a trick I learned when building the Grizzly models for Star Ship Troopers - counter sink the mini magnets so that they dont protrude from the model, use thin plastic card to hide the work, and voila, instant hard point for weapons :)
As much as I complain about the price of GW product, I have to admit, I like the look of the Tau. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to build them. Then I think, "I spent $50+ on two models less than 3" high a piece...what the??" But then you look for the intangibles, such as liking the models (drink the Kool Aid), ease of assembly (mmm Kool Aid), and the fact that I can find more GW players in my area than other types of games (thats good Kool Aid), and it kinda balances out. Of course, I'd like to get 7 more Broadsides, but at $35 a pop, I like eating, paying a mortgage, and putting some $$ away for my 5 kids college funds. Oh to be young and living at home again.....

Tim
24-04-2007, 15:38
ALWAYS buy a skyray instead of a hammerhead. It has all the sprews to build a hammerhead plus the skyray turret sprew. All for the same price. Then, build one vehicle, 2 turrets and have both options available.

The Orange
24-04-2007, 16:54
counter sink the mini magnets so that they dont protrude from the model, use thin plastic card to hide the work, and voila, instant hard point for weapons :)

I'd love to see some pic's of that, think you can post some up in the M,P, & T forum?

Oh to be young and living at home again.....
Yes I quite enjoy it, :p .

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 23:39
I just kind of stick em with my pathfinders. I thought about buying a sniper team but the lack of mobility frightens me even with the stealth field. (most of my army is really vehicle based) against nids I tend to go ion cannon heavy, so I have str 7 ap 3 heavy 3 shots to work with, with seekers on just about every vehicle I have. (which right now is 2 fish, 2 hammers, 3 pirhana) so I can use those for the big nasty mean ol fexes or anything else that my ions would be otherwise shooting.

usually 1 ion, one hammer.. seems to do well against the bugs. against marines its ion ion all the way. if you're wondering my hammer's weapons change alot. right now I seem to be back into my sms love phase. though I might remove those since my fish already have them. (might go to drones or bursts... )

also excess sprue helps alot I think if you're going to put them on the arms... just emry cloth the edges of the sprue to be round and 'reinforce' the guns to the bodies for extra support and aim the guns upward.

Vic
25-04-2007, 14:58
I'll post pics when I can. Just read the post re: the FW battlesuits. Great, more stuff I'll want to buy LOL....