PDA

View Full Version : Big army boxes - to buy or not to buy?

Little Geek
23-04-2007, 16:57
Having nealy finnished my eldar army im looking to start an empire army again with the new stuff, the thing is with the last 2 armies ive collected (woodies and eldar) ive bought the limited army boxes and then a few things afterwards.
the problem i have is that i have 90% of my army there infront of me from the start and i feel as though im loosing out on the "collecting" of the army by buying it all in one go and get bored rather easily after their painted because theres nothig new there.
With the new empire i was looking at mabey getting the new 100 army box, but then i dont want the same thing to happen with these.

Do other people get this or am i on my own in this?

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
23-04-2007, 17:07
with army deals, even if they are worth it, I would only get it if I actually wanted all the stuff inside.
buying one thing at a time can be better in that you dont feel you have loads of painting to get through, and it can help you concentrate.
but if you do save some , then I'd be tempted.

Little Geek
23-04-2007, 17:14
I want all the stuff in the boxes, its just that when ive finnished painting a unit i dont have the pleasure of going out and buying the next one because i already have it

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
23-04-2007, 17:21
but is that really pleasurable? going out, probably spending some money on parking tickets, another journey.
Do you guys really treasure that?

Hulkster
23-04-2007, 17:22
I actually prefer to buy everthing and then go, right i need to make this army

I did it with the DA and I am doing it with my goblins

Griefbringer
23-04-2007, 18:03
Having lately seen the list of contents for the big new Empire box, I would be a bit vary of recommending a starting player to go out and buy that - it is not quite what I would recommend for a balanced starting force.

TheWarSmith
23-04-2007, 18:12
Add to the fact that the empire box isn't a bargain, I'd pass on it. I'd get a batallion or 2, as they're good deals, and do you really want that ugly wizard?

hivetyrant333
23-04-2007, 18:15
If you want everything inside the army box then I think the amount of money you save makes it absolutely worth it. It's over 40 for the Empire set if I remember correctly.

I bought the Tau Empire battleforce and megaforce pretty much at the same time, and I have no regrets after the mountain of cash I saved. ;)

Oh, and one more thing - if you want the feeling of seeing your army grow over time, then you could start a 'secondary' army that doesn't have any large money-saving boxes, such as Chaos, to collect alongside the Empire.

Little Geek
23-04-2007, 18:24
Add to the fact that the empire box isn't a bargain, I'd pass on it. I'd get a batallion or 2, as they're good deals, and do you really want that ugly wizard?

I dont mean the limited one, i mean the new 100 all plastic one (its in may WD, out in june)

Im thinking of getting the army box and the reinforcments, thats 150, saving 73 (41 from the army box and 22 from the reinforcments)
And i suppose because of the amount of models i'd have i wouldnt need to buy any for a while which keeps my wallet happy.
I'd better start saving now, i also have to save some spending money for when i go on holiday later this year

TheWarSmith
23-04-2007, 18:41
well, in that case, go for it. They're great buys.

Griefbringer
23-04-2007, 18:56
Im thinking of getting the army box and the reinforcments, thats 150, saving 73 (41 from the army box and 22 from the reinforcments)

You might want to check your maths; 41 + 22 = 63 and not 73. Besides, the savings for the reinforcement battalion is to my knowledge more like 10 than 22, not sure about the army box.

Edit: looks like the army box will save 38 presuming that the helblaster kit will be priced at 12 when sold separately.

Wooz
23-04-2007, 20:43
but is that really pleasurable? going out, probably spending some money on parking tickets, another journey.
Do you guys really treasure that?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do. I like going to the store, casting through the racks of minis and then choosing which will be the next I take home to paint. That's part of the experience for me.

Ciaphas Cain
23-04-2007, 21:50
I agree with Wooz on this one. However I think the reinforcement box is a good deal for any Empire player- NO knights in it. I am going to get one.

Cheers

CC

lilljonas
23-04-2007, 23:29
If I got 2k points of unpainted miniatures, I'm afraid they would stay unpainted for a very, very long time. But then I think everyone has their own personal style: I like looking forward to what to get next, the planning, the plotting, the ideas. It makes it feel like you are actually slowly mustering your force. But then, on the other hand, some people prefer to have it all on the table at the same time, I guess. Makes it easier to go for a more focused look and such. Also, if you want to get to play quickly and people are acceptable towards metallic/plastic/primed guys on the tabletop, getting the whole army at once might be good too.