PDA

View Full Version : Other, than DE and Orks, what race deserves some shiney new stuff?

Lornak Bloodgreed
23-04-2007, 21:18
I have been kinda drifting away from the marines because i have bought my self out on too much stuff and I ned awhile to recoup, so i thought, why not look into doing a new race, might be a good idea, lol. I was thinking that maybe I should help one of the dying races so I then thought oh, well, DE are kinda kool, but, they are all on mail order and I live in CT, so, no to them. Then I thought orks, well, I truly hate them, so, nope, then Ithought, of the others, and I wasthinking of buying into a new race before they either die or get redone and i loose some classics, so which race needs some new stuff?

(I know it is a meaningless story, but thats my thought process for ya)

cinera
23-04-2007, 21:35
witch hunters?

AlphaLegion
23-04-2007, 21:35
Chaos! Chaos! Chaos! and more chaos... and Chaos! the last one for UD the first four was for each chaos god.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-04-2007, 21:47
Necrons! I want lightning guns!

Magistrate
23-04-2007, 21:50
Space WOLVES. I'll second Witch Hunters. I want some plastic Sororitas!

Quin 242
23-04-2007, 21:56
Definately some new sisters.

Chaos could use a few new kits to distinguish the different powers.

Bregalad
23-04-2007, 21:57
Kroot! With FW Knarlocs and the new Kodex:
http://www.freewebs.com/pfreck/Kodex%2520Kroot%2520V4.2.pdf

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
23-04-2007, 21:59
I agree Bregalad, kroot should get their own kodex.

jfrazell
23-04-2007, 22:07
After Orks and DE
Kroot-the awesomeness of Kroot needs to be revealed
Guard-a medium strength codex.

Bunnahabhain
23-04-2007, 22:43
Most of the non-standard IG troop types.

When was the last time anybody saw non-converted Rough Riders or Ogryns? The ratlings are not much better either. They'll probably get done for a new Guard codex, along with some more tanks.

Must have more tanks. The Guard can never have enough tanks.......

ChrisAsmadi
23-04-2007, 23:45
Necrons, totally.

sigur
23-04-2007, 23:54
Come on guys, don't force me to be the first jackbum to yell "SQUATS!!1 :)".

Anyway, Witch Hunters are perfectly fine as they are. The miniatures are just fabulous and now that the Empire Flagellant box is coming, I assume we'll see some more Zealot mobs on the tabletops.:) As rumored, the Inquisition might get a new codex for WH and DH (and maybe ordo xenos:rolleyes: ) in one book which isn't a too bad idea. Don't get me wrong, WH are perfectly fine as they are, in every aspect, but I never grew fond of the idea of the ordo malleus being an army. I think GK Terminators should have been kept as a situational strike force in case of demonic menances.

Some new IG stuff (new plastic regiment or at least some additional sprues with special wepaons apart from Grenade Launchers and Flamers on them, Rough Riders) would be nice of course but I'm happy with the current range and rules. In fact, I think the IG 'dex is one of the most solid army books around.

Necrons...well...I don't like the whole concept of those guys and I find the look of the miniatures hideous. So I'm a bit torn between liking the idea of a redo of those or not.

Chaos isn't a too bad idea really. Back in 2003 or when their last codex was released, it was the first proper codex in a loooooooooooooong time but they overdid it a bit with the FOC-bending and the demon prince in my opinion. Also, since Codex Eye of Terror-lists more or less are in a comateuse state, it would be nice to see more than just Chaos Space Marines in this codex. To many, Cultists lists have a huge appeal and many possibilities for miniatures, rules and combination with the CSM list.

KaldCB
23-04-2007, 23:58
Necrons, they have a extremly small miniature range.

Grimbad
24-04-2007, 00:12
feral orks. When was the last time GW made a feral ork kit? As far as I can tell, when the feral ork white dwarf article was made. And they were only conversion kits. When the new ork codex comes out, I'll be a sad ork.

Zithaska
24-04-2007, 01:19
Blood Angels, namely plastic Death Company.

Templar Ben
24-04-2007, 02:38
Blood Angels, namely plastic Death Company.

Yeah we need more marines in plastic. :p

Captain Micha
24-04-2007, 02:46
please.. Necrons.... please.. *eyes them all*over priced good for nothing..... stupid immortals.. they'd be great on the battlefield if I could afford them....

also.. give us some cult mechanicus for cryin out loud!

next up... Kroot.

After that? Sisters of battle, Grey knights.. (yes I dared say it!)

no Gks do not count as space marines in my book. they are the Grey Knights...

Dranthar
24-04-2007, 03:30
Definitely Tau. Their codex really is getting a bit old.

Minister
24-04-2007, 03:40
If GW put out plastic Sisters this soon after I have finished my 4000 point Witch Hunters army with nery a plastic soldier in sight (including the Guard platoons), I will be most sorely vexed.

A nice move would be a Cadian command sprue, in the style of the Space Marine command squad, allowing plastic officers of various ranks and containing plastic meltas and plasma guns for the command squad. This would then allow an all-plastic Guard army, which can only be matched by the Marines.

I have a horrible feeling that the Ratlings will not ever see a new model, but plastic Ogryns look likely ever since Ogre Kingdoms and their preence in Dawn of War. Rough Riders, now, those would be sweet little additions.

The ideal release remains Krieg or Mordian plastic infantry.

CryoMax
24-04-2007, 03:55
I had a big long interesting post going about need vs. deserve, but decided to simplify.

With the exception of tanks, neither Daemonhunters nor Witch Hunters have ANY plastic figures; all other races have plastic options for Troops choices. The WH figures are absolutely gorgeous, but most of them also date back to the 2nd edition Sisters of Battle codex! I'd say Witchhunters totally "deserve" to get some plastics, just for the economics. They could use some new poses, too. As good looking as they are, they're all fairly similar...

Necrons deserve to get a new Lord figure. There's only one Lord, which has no wargear options (like the Canoness does), and the only other Lord created since the "clear green plastic" era was an Army Box-only pack-in, and has been going for $50 on eBay. Otherwise, unless the Necrons suddenly get some new units, I think their current models are just fine. Even if the warriors are showing a bit of age, at least they're plastic already!

I'd say Chaos deserves some love, but they're going to get it soon, judging by the rumor mill...

Tau probably deserve some new stuff; the Vespid remind me of Watto from Phantom Menace, and that's not a good thing; but then, I also kinda think the Tau should never have come into existence, either...

It's hard to say the Imperial Guard "deserve" new figures over the other armies; they're so very well represented. But they are in desperate need of new Rough Riders if GW ever wants them to be played. I always hated the Attilans; the Tallarn rough riders they produced a while back were so much better (especially since GW never produced any other Attilan forces). I'm personally about to embark on some kitbashing to build a unit, and the only part from the Rough Riders figures I'm going to use are the legs. :P

...Paul

CryoMax
24-04-2007, 03:56

What are you talking about? Their codex was just re-done last year! Remember when they added the Vespid?

...Paul

sigur
24-04-2007, 07:22
The WH figures are absolutely gorgeous, but most of them also date back to the 2nd edition Sisters of Battle codex!

So what's wrong about it? The whole concept of the Inquisition armies is that they are all metal. And metal models aren't that much more expensive than plastic ones really so I don't really get how people complain about their elite choices being metal miniatures.

Brother-Hyuuga
24-04-2007, 07:37
First take care of the Dark Eldar, then da boyz.
I would love to see plastic storm troopers. They could be used in Guard, WH or DH. You could easily have 3 armies sprout up in a short time.
Plastic Ravenors and Zoanthropes would be nice.

Stingray_tm
24-04-2007, 07:59
Tyranids....need....plastic....gargoyles!!!!!!!!

;)

The_Dark_Raven
24-04-2007, 08:24
imp g,

they need to get some DK out in GW insted of just FW

i like them so much, lets see some new imp g stuff other then the vost bs

sigur
24-04-2007, 08:26
Wow, it's pretty hard to figure out what you're talking about. Would you mind using proper English, please?

Vaktathi
24-04-2007, 08:45

You mean the one released in 2005? One of the newest Codex's out there?

Bregalad
24-04-2007, 10:36
Yeah, it has been a long time since then, taking into account our super-fast technological evolution! ;)
(and yes, the poster forgot the smiley :))

Melchiah
24-04-2007, 10:50
I think the remark about the Tau was a joke:p . And since Marines sell, there will be a marine codex every-other codex release. The "Hunters" dexes I thought were going to be release as a 3-in-1 Daemon/witch/xenoes. So really that just leaves Dark Eldar, Chaos, and Necrons. And since money talks and as much as i hate to see DE lack and get pushed back that leave Choas and Necrons. Which come to think about it is the rumours saying Choas, *insert marines*, Orks, *insert marines or Crux Chaos*, then Necrons?

mistformsquirrel
24-04-2007, 12:25
So what's wrong about it? The whole concept of the Inquisition armies is that they are all metal. And metal models aren't that much more expensive than plastic ones really so I don't really get how people complain about their elite choices being metal miniatures.

Er... How exactly is the whole concept of Inquisition armies... that they're all metal?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but what the figures are made out of doesn't have alot to do with concept last I checked.

I DO agree that the figures are beautiful - but they're a twinge pricey; and metal is also harder to convert.

That's all just my opinion of course.

madd0ct0r
24-04-2007, 12:45
beautiful definetly. Harder to convert? yup (at least far more intimidating to convert) Pricier?, nope, not really. More poses would be nice though.

lars4life
24-04-2007, 12:59
Ok ruling out Orks and DE

On the realistic side:
Necrons- to clean up the special rules and maybe add a unit or 2
Inquisition- to get Xenos hunters out faster, plastics wouldn't hurt. Plus imagine how cool the inquisitorial upgrade sprue for any of the 3 variants would look like :eek:

on the never going to happen list:
Squats - I miss the little guys :cries:
Tyranid Cultist - I wish I would have never sold off my army........

Quin 242
24-04-2007, 14:05
New Squats would totally destroy the collectability of the hundreds and hundreds of space Dwarfs i have so I'm against them getting new figs :)

Megad00mer
24-04-2007, 14:13
After DE and Orks of course:

Necrons: More units, more plastic, new sculpts and more flexible rules that allow more than 2-3 variant army lists

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
24-04-2007, 14:22
I'd say the necrons need plastic Pariahs (with fixed rules to make them actually useful), plastic immortals and a few new units. They dont need much new stuff, but 3-4 new units including a new plastic troop-choice would rock IMO. I'd also say they need more lord on foot variants..the metal one is so overly used :(

Templar Ben
24-04-2007, 16:42
beautiful definetly. Harder to convert? yup (at least far more intimidating to convert) Pricier?, nope, not really. More poses would be nice though.

Here a box of 10 SoB is $45 and a box of 10 SM is $35.

BaBOOM
24-04-2007, 16:48
Necrons and DE because of their lack of diversity in the current codices. DE has some, but then again, not much of it is useful, and there's really two major builds that I see are used.

Don't know about WH/DH, but I guess they suffer the same problem.

The Laughing God
24-04-2007, 16:53
It wouldbe cool to see Kroot become an actual leagal army with a real codex.

Necrons are ok right now.

The_Outsider
24-04-2007, 17:12
All necrons need model wise is plastic kits, after that its just gravy.

Namely immortals,pariahs, tombspyder and flayed ones.

The rest is either palstic or doesn't need plastic kits (wraiths, lord).

Souleater
24-04-2007, 17:15
Demiurg!

They could be seriously cool if done right.

Dranthar
24-04-2007, 17:39
You mean the one released in 2005? One of the newest Codex's out there?

Exactly. Two years is far too long for the Tau to wait before getting a new codex. They're so out of date it's just not funny.

I think the remark about the Tau was a joke
Really? :) (smiley added to please Bregalad)

Maren
24-04-2007, 17:48
I WANT SPARTANS!!! Ohh..what? Wrong thread...? sry...

Colonial Rifle
24-04-2007, 17:49
Adeptus Mechanicus anyone? This army would sell better than current DE, I'm sure of it.

CryoMax
24-04-2007, 18:58

It's been pointed out already, but the metal figures are fairly limiting. Ten plastic marines is $35, ten metal sisters are $40. The difference is not much, but it adds up. The 5-man, 4-HW Devastator squad is also only $35, but you'd need to drop $40 just to get the four HW sisters for a Retributor squad. And if you want a squad of battle sisters that don't have a flamer or stormbolter (or which have two of one and one of the other, or which add a heavy flamer, you're buying boxes of metal that you have to further supplement with more metal.

Oh, and the biggest comparison has got to be Seraphim vs. Assault Marines. Box of 5 Seraphim is $40, 5 Assault Marines is only $25. Now *that* is a bit more extreme.

But even if price was no object, customization is key. With multipart kits, you can put together a fairly wide array of figures, just by gluing the pieces together. Sisters don't get that luxury.

...Paul

madd0ct0r
24-04-2007, 19:36
fair enough - the price differance looks less in , and i've never had any problem with counting the flamer model as heavy - in SoB, the heavy flamer is the only one worth taking, unless you more then template in a squad, which can get annoying.

Malempo
24-04-2007, 19:43
Exactly, I have a dozen of melta-gun sisters I had to buy individually because we all know that SoB players field storm bolters in their squads.

It would also be interesting to have an eviscerator option for the superior and not necesseraly a plasma pistol.

Same goes for the retributors. I would like so much to have plastic retributors with options between h-bolter and m-melta.

Tim
24-04-2007, 20:07
Tyranids....need....plastic....gargoyles!!!!!!!!

;)

I second this. :)

Also a few minor Codex tweaks, like revised bio-vor rules, the kind that don't blow. :cries:

cinera
24-04-2007, 20:09
i must say the tallarn need an army!

lets look in comparison
--------------Cadians
Type: plastic
Ammount: 20
Cost: 18

--------------Tallarn
Type: metal
Ammount: 10
Cost: 20

so as you can pay, you have to pay more for half the models! :wtf:

Cutting Edge Models
27-04-2007, 14:36
I reckon they could do a great deal worse than updating the Dark Eldar. There's a great deal of potential there for some sick, twisted and sexy things.

And how about a set of plastic marines, one of each mark or armour. That'd open up a whole world of conversions and other coolness and they'd sell like hot cakes.

Quin 242
27-04-2007, 15:14
Exactly, I have a dozen of melta-gun sisters I had to buy individually because we all know that SoB players field storm bolters in their squads.

It would also be interesting to have an eviscerator option for the superior and not necesseraly a plasma pistol.

Same goes for the retributors. I would like so much to have plastic retributors with options between h-bolter and m-melta.

Option is there... It's called clip and paste :)
At least the Superiors have thier weapons out away from the bodies for ease of conversion.

I use all three of the heavy bodies for all Multi-meltas and Heavy bolters. My Multi-meltas never see any use :(
I'm not sure what you meant about the first statement. You get 1 melta and one storm bolter in each "special weapons" blister.

Mort
27-04-2007, 15:36
plastic ogryns. the current ones are older than half of the gamers using them...

necron immortals. and some new units. something like a "bone golem" out of metal perhaps?

plastic gargoyles.

new dark eldar models.all of them. the current ones look either like they have been overrun by a tank or like poopoo..

anything else,like new codices for kroot or demiurg or space skaven can wait until the existing armies are brought in shape...

Stella Cadente
27-04-2007, 16:25
SPACE WOLVES!!!!!!!! Dark Eldar don't deserve squat

infernus31
27-04-2007, 17:02
An idea I ahd that would noth please Guard, and help DH and WH (and eventually XH) players would be if they produced plastic kasrkin/some form of stormtroopers, if they can look as good as the current karkin I'd be very happy, plus there'd be socpe for Foregworld to release add on packs should you an even more =][= look for the stormtroopers. Just try and make sure that it doesnt have the grenade and more importantly not the flamer as stormtroopers have a dcent ballistic skill for a reason :p

Other then that I would really like plastic greatcoats, and more codex tanks for the Imeprial guard from Imperial Armour, as guard should have more variants of tanks then anyone really.

eyeolas
27-04-2007, 17:14
Well, as an ork player, it is orks.

But after that it would be kroot as their own list (or a varient list at the back of a tau codex). With them could come some new modles as at current i am converting my 159ish modle 2000 pt kroot merc list from 1 box set, 1 blister and 1 fantasy box set :cries:

but from what it looks like at the moment, it is going to be chaos, marines, orks, marines, dark eldar, marines, which at this rate should take us to about 2013 ;)

Ktotwf
28-04-2007, 00:50
Space Marines.

Spotty
28-04-2007, 04:11
SPACE WOLVES!!!!!!!! Dark Eldar don't deserve squat

space wolves can sit back, DE units are not even on shelves anymore so I think they qualify slightly more... plus some of their units need tweaking.

But my opinion is Eldar! (just kidding guys) I think they need to update IG third (after orks and de) by doing a new codex like craftworld Eldar for the special fluffy armies everyone wants to do. Like Tanith, 13th penal legion and others.
not just white dwarf references or a special unit(schaeffer)

One_Second_of_Insanity
28-04-2007, 04:16
of course orks are first and then the de but then i would also say sisters, plastic ones would be great and allow for so many easier conversions

actually also add in some kroot

malisteen
28-04-2007, 05:12
New Dark Eldar. I love the picture in the rulebook, and I certainly hope they look more at the imagery and armors of Cardassians in Star Track rather then just doing Dark Elves in space.

But the point was other then orcs & dark eldar... so...

I'm going to third the call for plastic gargoyles.

And so much more could be done with the necrons, it's not even funny. I'd say they've been successful enough as a line to warrant some serious expansion of their options and available units & vehicles.

Demiurge could be done really well, but I doubt we'll ever be seeing them in 40k.

Back to the subject of tyranids, I'd love a mid size creature bridging the gap between gaunts and warriors. Right now Genestealers sort of fill that roll, but I always viewed them as 'something else', a species that the tyranids picked up along the way rather then part of the normal tyranid species 'continuum' from ripper to tyrant. I picture a sort of centaur-shap {think putting an upper torso where a termagant's head goes) with fleet of foot (for the four legs), but only a single pair of arms for bio weaponry (which would be chosen from a list somewhere between the warrior & the gaunt list). Like warriors, they wouldn't all need to have the same weapons. They'd have a sort of 'synapse relay', where the unit would have synapse so long as one of the models was within synapse range of some other synapse unit.

Anyway, they would serve, among other things, as an excuse to bump the warriors' toughness up to 5 (giving a smooth transition from the little bugs to the big bugs). They'd replace stealers as troops. Steelers would then be elites, unless the army included a brood lord.

That's awefully specific, though, and probably too much detail for this thread...

WoW_Auron
28-04-2007, 05:45
Necrons! I want lightning guns!

Guns? My god man, i want them to shoot lightning from their eyes!

I want a terminator( the movie) HQ choice "I'll be back" roll indeed! and while im at it, i want a johnny-5 robot. Perhaps some Jetpack infantry on rollerskates instead.

Nah, seriously. I too think Necron's could use a little diversity in their 'dex. It's the only thing i don't like about them.

Why can't they have Jumpack-based troops?

They are made of metal, if any race should have tanks of some form, its 'Crons.

Perhaps a Drednaught/walker type thing. A large combat construct monster killing machine pewpew of deathyness (No, not Nightbringer!).

I think Flayed ones should be as imba as they are in Dawn of War too, where whatever they get into combat with, dies. ;)

Maybe another HQ choice, of some form? Don't ask me what, i don't know.

Just some ideas..