PDA

View Full Version : Allies for dwarves? Rivendell or Grey company?

Oberon
24-04-2007, 20:38
The box of dwarves is almost painted, so it is time to consider the options. Who to ally with, so I wonīt have to buy more models, and to make them stronger? I have a box of rangers(+halbarad, arathorn, and aragorn), and some heavy armoured elves with wide range of heroes. I came up with the following 2 lists, comments and critisicm (sp) welcome. We are currently under a change of customs, so it isnīt 100% clear to me how we are handling the bow limits and heroes. Youīll see while scrolling down.

stunties (erebor)
Gimli
7 khazad
7 shieldwarriors
7 bow warriors

=under 33% if heroes donīt count, 33% if they do.
elves (rivendell)
Twin sons of elrond
6 HE:spear, bow
5 HE: shield, spear
5 He: shield
33% bows if heroes are counted to bowlimit, if not then one bowelf switches his bow to a shield.
=610 tai 609pts=40 models, 9 might

Or with rangers...

Durinīs folk
King with throwing axe
captain with shield
banner
7khazad
8 bow
7 shield
=a little under 33% bows

Men (grey company)
Halbarad
5 spear&bow
4 swords
8 spear-rangers
=under 33%
=609pts. 7 might, 43 models

Sniper Kelly
25-04-2007, 00:58
Hi there,

The bow limit only applies to warriors, so any heroes are not included. Also, if I remember correctly, you need to field one Ranger of the North or Dunedain for every four Rangers of Arnor (Its the payoff for being able to ignore bow limits in the Grey Company!)

Adept
25-04-2007, 02:21
I would use the Rangers, and call them Men of Dale.

Pertinax
25-04-2007, 08:02
You know, I was just thinking that myself. I'd go with the men.

Oberon
25-04-2007, 09:55
Hi there,

The bow limit only applies to warriors, so any heroes are not included. Also, if I remember correctly, you need to field one Ranger of the North or Dunedain for every four Rangers of Arnor (Its the payoff for being able to ignore bow limits in the Grey Company!)
The thing is: we donīt use the legions and its rules 100% accurately here. We donīt play according to UK GT rules either. We modify the newest rules so they fit to the image what we believe is right. Not the game rules, but the theme point-system and force composition. For example, grey companyīs bowlimit-rule is not used as it is in the book.
As I said, we are having a change here. Last tourney we had it like you described (heroes donīt count), but this is likely to change.

So thus far people say rangers&erebor? Any spesific reasons why, except that I could say they were men of dale? :)

Pertinax
25-04-2007, 11:22
Rangers do just that, they range all over the place.

Rules wise, they would add some long range, and quite hard hitting, fire power to a doughty line of dwarf warriors.

Oberon
25-04-2007, 11:43
Yep. With rangers I get lousy dwarf heroes, more numbers, more spears, less strenght for arrows. With elves I get mighty heroes, a bit less numbers, a bit less spears, but one point stronger bows. Oh, and no banner.

Pertinax
25-04-2007, 12:39
Lousy Dwarf Heroes?

Really? I was under the impression that the Dwarf Captain was one of the toughest "low-level" in the game.

Oberon
25-04-2007, 14:21
He is. In Durinīs folk-list thereīs captain, in Erebor thereīs Gimli. Gimli is better than captain. Maybe my choice of words was a little off :) Iīm mainly high elf player->Iīm used to a little tougher heroes.