PDA

View Full Version : Which FW armour book should I buy first?

OrlyggJafnakol
24-04-2007, 21:35
I have recently discovered the Forge World rangle of resin miniatures and am intrigued by the large books they produce. I have had a look at their previews and by what I have seen they remind me of the glory days of the large (but expensive) hardback books of the later 80s and 90s... Realm of Chaos, Waagh..da Orks etc.

Question is are they worth getting and if so which particular book is worth getting first? I am tempted to wait until book 5 is published because I was impressed by the Krieg models and the Great Unclean Onebut wonder if I am making the right decision?

Any advice?

TheWarSmith
24-04-2007, 23:36
Are you looking to buy one/all of these books just for purposes of being able to use the FW models?

Or were you interested in reading about the vehicles, organizations, and stuff like that?

yankeeboy
24-04-2007, 23:47
Frankly, I like most of the books. If budget isn't a concern, I'd buy them all. Otherwise you may want to prioritize based upon army preference or simply read them sequentially.

Bregalad
25-04-2007, 00:03
IA 1+2 are mainly stats, rules and drawings of Imperial tanks and flyers, not much of a background there (AFAIK, I don't own them).

IA 3+4 are both great books, IA3 a bit bigger and more expensive than IA4 but both worth their money, if you are remotely interested in the armies featured. They have also rules, stats and drawings, but also a whole storyline and lots of background information. Something like a BBC documentary or Osprey book on 40k conflicts. Seems like all future IAs go the same way, but with different armies. So go ahead with the book, whose topic interests you most. Be aware that the GUO is featured in IA6 though.

Commissar Bob
25-04-2007, 00:13
Hi all,

Personally I don't have any of the IA books (bit out of my price range:cries: )

But from brosing through various cpies I've seen lieing around I think the third and fourth are the better buys. Rules for new things, new army lists, and a whole ton of background!

Tough my resolve might well break down and force me to buy IA5 when it come sout in the next month or so.

Good luck! and in the end buy whatever os most appealing to you personally and disregard everyone else.

Commissar Bob

Bunnahabhain
25-04-2007, 09:59
Depends who you play. IA 1 is slightly dated (but still a rather good book) compared to the newest ones, but is a must have really for Guard Players. IA 2 is the same, but for other Imp forces, IA3 is very nice, and the narritive form is good. Not seen IA4.

I only have IA 1 at the moment.

OrlyggJafnakol
25-04-2007, 10:16
I am in the process of moving to a new area (Braintree, Essex, UK) and have as yet no-one to game with so rules and stats are not going to be a priority.

It will have to be models and background then!

IA3 and IA4 seem the most likely then, Imperial vs Tau and Imperial vs Tyranids. Any body own both of these titles and can recommend one over the other? I am just about to start a new (and as of yet, undecided) army so the actual race doesn't really matter.

ancient_conflict
25-04-2007, 10:35
theres guard stuff in each of them aside from IA2 which is SM and Inquisition
it all depends on what you collect and what you wanna get in resin so you get the book with you rules in it

Bregalad
25-04-2007, 10:46
Well, I own both. The bigger, more expensive IA3 certainly has more material, describing a whole war (and setting the standard for future IAs), but both are from the same quality. Both are recommendable. IA5 will certainly have the same quality and will be released about May.

Slayhem
25-04-2007, 13:34
You should be aware that the text contains huge amounts of spelling errors. Gives a very sloppy impression.

redbaron998
25-04-2007, 13:45
I will be looking at some at gamesday this year, since FW has them out to look at. From then I may very well buy IA 4 for the SM rules to better fight nids...(I really hate nids) IA 3 is nice to cause my friend plays Tau. I will have to wait and see.

How are the marines in IA4? Anyone know? Are they practical or different enough to matter?

Killgore
25-04-2007, 13:50
it depends on how big your wallet is really, as they are abit expensive

I own IA3: Taros, and its a great read, especialy if you like Imperial Guard and Tau, its true there are spelling/ grammar problems with the first print of the book, but it dosnt interfer with the overall pleasure of reading it

I'm looking forward to perchasing IA4 and 5

KITS AND BITS
25-04-2007, 14:17
why dont they do a cheaper paper back version ? it seems crazy that they produce a book thats out of most people ideal price range ?surely they would sell more resin models if customers knew what /why and how the models work , god forbid people might actually put them on the board for a change ?

Fred_Scuttle
25-04-2007, 15:04
why dont they do a cheaper paper back version ? it seems crazy that they produce a book thats out of most people ideal price range ?surely they would sell more resin models if customers knew what /why and how the models work , god forbid people might actually put them on the board for a change ?

I 100% agree. I've always thought it DAFT that you don't get a simple black and white Stat Card with your model. Just the rules. No fluff, no color pics, just enough to use. They'd still be able to market the books for Fluff, images, diagrams, stories, etc.

Just seems weird to me...

Templar Ben
25-04-2007, 15:46
I 100% agree. I've always thought it DAFT that you don't get a simple black and white Stat Card with your model. Just the rules. No fluff, no color pics, just enough to use. They'd still be able to market the books for Fluff, images, diagrams, stories, etc.

Just seems weird to me...

The presumption could be that if one can afford a $150 model on can also afford a $75 book.

Bunnahabhain
25-04-2007, 17:25
Trouble is, the pictures in the books are so good, it's very tempting to get the book, and then convert alot of the vehicles, instead of buying them.

I've almost done that by accident. I mean to get 1 forge-world russ, and end up with two standard ones and spend an evening turning them into something interesting...