PDA

View Full Version : Uk Games Day

untimention
25-04-2007, 23:24
September the 23rd is the official date of Games day in the UK. Tickets will be availible to white dwarf subscribers in June and to everyone else in July..... i personally cant wait as ive been collecting now for around 5 - 6 yrs and never been so this will be my first and i plan on spening LOTS of money and taking lots of photo's :)

Erazmus_M_Wattle
25-04-2007, 23:36
I read in the Golden Demon rules that conversions for LOTR and mixing parts with 40k and Fantasy is now specifically prohibited. So are Colaborative efforts.

I wonder what brought that on?

untimention
25-04-2007, 23:39
i thought the same but its to do with the copyright laws... i guess they just dont want to turn alot of people away with enterences.

Rodzaju
25-04-2007, 23:39
I read in the Golden Demon rules that conversions for LOTR and mixing parts with 40k and Fantasy is now specifically prohibited. So are Colaborative efforts.

I wonder what brought that on?

Hasn't this always been the case?
I'm sure i've read somewhere that the license that gw has for LOTR says that they can't mix the range with 40k/wfb.

Arael
26-04-2007, 00:41
Anyone know what'll probably be there for early sale?

I might go, if only to pick up the last Gaunt's Ghosts.

Angelwing
26-04-2007, 04:24
every year, I say I'll go, but never seem to manage it. I'll go this year...

ExquisiteEvil
26-04-2007, 04:47
when I was in the UK every year I'd go and then regret it....:p

untimention
26-04-2007, 08:02
Well ive always heard alot of good things and ive never been to Warhammer World... I'm a huge hobbiest to the shrine of warhammer and have to have a room just dedicated to my models. So i cant wait to look and Golden Demon... talk to people about the hobby... see some previews, and check out some models to buy

cookiescrumble
26-04-2007, 11:39
I'm going this year to help out on one of the tables. Probably won't spend any money though unless there is good pre-releases available.

Crube
26-04-2007, 11:45
I could never understand the hordes of people that would descend on the retail stand at GD and spend a fortune, on all the stuff they could get every day of the week for the same price in their local GW (or cheaper online)

Pre release, and FW stuff I can understand but...

AS for going, I wont be - I worked too many of them, plus, the ticket price for me is excessiive, especially when you consider its about 6 to park on top...

Darth_Blade
26-04-2007, 17:26
...not to mention the hordes of brats

james1225
26-04-2007, 17:49
Meh 25 for hmm GW or 6 for salute and hmm 50+ companies :D

schoolcormorant
26-04-2007, 18:45
Meh 25 for hmm GW or 6 for salute and hmm 50+ companies :D

don't go then :rolleyes:

SC

Arhalien
26-04-2007, 18:52
Sep 23? Right, that;s the date I'm expecting to see stuff for the High Elf rerelease, as that seems close to the date for the release.

I can;t wait :D

But i won;t be going, just see all the pics on Warseer ;)

Ryu_ookami
26-04-2007, 18:54
do GWS still run coaches to the event ?

Tyron
26-04-2007, 19:23
Yep.which is overpriced.

Arhalien
26-04-2007, 19:53
Hehe, yet another black text hidden message from Tyron. I'm afraid that one was obvious as you didn;t hve the 10 character limit ;) :p

What other things might we see there out of interest? ie. prerelease, new release previews. just thinking in advance a bit

edit: oh to hell with it, that didn;t work ;)

Harry
26-04-2007, 23:46
I shall be there.
Entering Golden Demon again.
Enjoying chatting to lots of GW folks.
Meeting up with people.
It's a great day out.

marv335
26-04-2007, 23:50
Sadly I won't be there.
my Sister is getting married on the Saturday so I'll be otherwise engaged.

Getifa Ubazza
27-04-2007, 00:10
Last year was my first time at GD. It wasnt great, but was ok. Not sure if i will go this year, it depends how i feel when the tickets go up for sale.

ghost21
27-04-2007, 04:14
for the price id say it is abit excessive especaily when memrabilia use the same halls and charge a tenner

ill probably go though

RavenMorpheus
27-04-2007, 04:51
There are 2 things that put me off going to games days:

1 - the fact that there will be lots of kids spending mummy and daddy's money who have no concept of the value of such money.

2 - the price of the ticket - I don't see why I should pay 25 + travel costs to not even be able to get near any of the tables because of point 1, or because they're arguing over who goes next on the games tables.

Eniac
27-04-2007, 09:56
Every year it gets worse (since 2000 at least) and every year I keep saying to myself that I will not go again. But I am a fool! Still, as long as you go with a mate it is usually cool.

If you want the pre-release stuff you have to be at the head of the queue to get in and head straight to the retail stands as soon as the doors creak open because all the new stuff sells out in like 3 seconds as some dork spends about a thousand pounds on every single new model.

the1stpip
27-04-2007, 10:02
If you haven't been, it is worth going just for the experience. I will be going, but as my club are running two games, I won't have a lot of time.

The beauty is, we will be in early, we get first dibs on the new releases (which, sorry, but most will be put up on ebay, unless there is something I really want (possibly new Chaos stuff)).

It is expensive. I wouldn't go if I didn't get in for nothing...

Osbad
27-04-2007, 10:30
I went once (2003). Won't ever go again. I admit it is an amazing enterprise, and very well organised. But all those smelly teenagers in one place just was not pleasant. Gaming tables were nice, but crowded, making playing a not very pleasant experience. There wasn't all that much new stuff on show - and even if there was, I am quite happy to wait a few months till its on show in the normal stores etc., Golden Demon was interesting, but you couldn't get close enough to the models and the lighting wasn't good enough to really see them well. Food was overpriced and rubbish.

The only bits I enjoyed were the seminars (which I understand have been massively diluted now) and the exhibition of memorabilia from Ye Olde Days. Neither of which was worth the ticket, the MASSIVELY LONG queue and the 10-hour return drive.

I can see how many will enjoy it - if you aren't put off by crowds of screaming pre-teenagers and such. But for me.... no thank you, not again!

starlight
27-04-2007, 10:39
....and I'm planning a vacation around this mess?:wtf:

Am I on Krak???

:angel:

Jedi152
27-04-2007, 10:41
I've not been since '98 and i doubt i ever will again.

Not only do you have to wade through hordes of kids and the great unwashed, you now have to play a small fortune to do so - queueing for ages to get a quick glimpse of something you'll see posted here on monday.

Eniac
27-04-2007, 11:08
queueing for ages to get a quick glimpse of something you'll see posted here on monday.

Incorrect, I usually get pictures up by 16:45 the very same day! :p