PDA

View Full Version : Slayer army

Khorne warrior
27-04-2007, 01:14
>>My friend asked me to ask the honest people at Warseer if you think that a Slayer army is worth it to play.

Thanks

ekxw
27-04-2007, 01:38
uhmm the rules of that list are broken so, and now its unoficial, like all the list of the storm of chaos.

so play with the normal dwarf book and use 3 or 4 slayers units, that could be a better list

Khorne warrior
27-04-2007, 01:43
It says here (http://ca.games-workshop.com/CommunityNew/HOH/Community_HOH.htm) that you are allowed to use the Slayer army. Thus, it must be somewhat official.

Commodus Leitdorf
27-04-2007, 01:48
It says here (http://ca.games-workshop.com/CommunityNew/HOH/Community_HOH.htm) that you are allowed to use the Slayer army. Thus, it must be somewhat official.

Thats because, with the exception of Grimgor's 'Ardboys list, all SoC lists are still tournament legal in Canada.

Dont let the dumb "If it ain't tournament legal, it ain't worth playin" vote discourage you though. If you want an army full of slayers charging across the field to certain doom, go ahead and build one. I can tell you I wouldn't say no to playin against it at a club, or any other place for that matter.

Khorne warrior
27-04-2007, 03:30
>>Do you think that a Dwarf army would do better than a Slayer army game-wise then?

lokigod
27-04-2007, 04:01
uhmm the rules of that list are broken so, and now its unoficial, like all the list of the storm of chaos

Why do people keep spreading this garbage !!!!!! There not unofficial except for one of the lists, so please quit spreading disinformation.

Lander
27-04-2007, 04:02
Most likly the cool things about the slayer army are now not so great due to the dwarf rewrite, and Normal army with multiple slayer units would be cool.

Canadian_Khan
27-04-2007, 04:29
Suttborn, hit hard, skirmish... blablablablabla.... No Armour... against shooting = BANG PAF OUCH DEAD!

Put a Slayers army against my Galloper Gun and my archers, and they wont even get to my army

But as far as a visual army, veeeery good looking IMO ... I wouldn't play it just for the look, but some player do...

And don't forget the Goblin Hewer, that's the greatest thing of this army

Unwise
27-04-2007, 04:32
From my very limited experience in a proxy game. Slayer armies are very boring to play against (and I would imagine with). Out manauvering them does not matter. All that matters is your amount of attacks.

They are near impossible to beat without an army designed around doing so, even then they are very very tough.

Brother Siccarius
27-04-2007, 05:26
Most likly the cool things about the slayer army are now not so great due to the dwarf rewrite, and Normal army with multiple slayer units would be cool.

The only real thing they changed that effects slayers are new runes and the ability to take characters without needing permission.

Master Rune of Grimnir, "Look Snorri, Trolls!", "A Glorious Death", Slayer Skills, Extra dispel dice, Doomseekers...yeah, they're still good.

snurl
27-04-2007, 06:45
Slayer armies are fun to play with for a change if you are used to using regular dwarves who don't move around very much.

Watch out for shooty enemy units.

ekxw
27-04-2007, 11:14
all the army is unbreakable so if the enemy dosent kill you all the miniatures he lose, thats the big problem with that list.

the storm of chaos list were broken, thats for sure, and you can play one or two games with your friends then they will say you, i wont play against you again, cause your list is boring to play against, think a bout a hight elve list against that, imposible, or a khemry one, dark elf one can do something, chaos one could do something, orc and goblin one can do something but not much

Corai
27-04-2007, 12:22
In my experiece, slayer armies are very boring to play with and agaisnt. It's a real rock paper scissors scenario and you'll be able to tell who's won the game half way through the deployment phase. I'd advise your friend against it. And as to their official status, the Lists are not official in th UK Grand Tournaments and I believe they are being slowly phased out of other circuits too. One thing is for sure and that is they will not stay official for too long. It's only a matter of time before they are made unofficial anywhere, so unless your friend already has a bota load of slayers, I'd warn him off.

thanks
Corai

DesertDirge
27-04-2007, 15:59
too bad you can't have DOW doomslayers! ;)

sheck2
27-04-2007, 16:02
The bottom line is that if your friend wants to play in 'official' tournaments - do not use the list as it will be phased out

Already gone from theUK, still 'legal' in US and CA...but will probably be gone once Choas is re-written making most SoC lists obsolete...say at longest within two years?

But if your friend likes slayers and does not care about official tournaments - go for it 'cause it will be fun for him.

Brother Siccarius
27-04-2007, 16:50
The bottom line is that if your friend wants to play in 'official' tournaments - do not use the list as it will be phased out

Already gone from theUK, still 'legal' in US and CA...but will probably be gone once Choas is re-written making most SoC lists obsolete...say at longest within two years?

But if your friend likes slayers and does not care about official tournaments - go for it 'cause it will be fun for him.

two years for a chaos rewrite? They still have several armies on the line for being redone, and Gav has stated that they want to take a look at chaos dwarves at the end of the production line ("when [they] have more time to devote to just looking at the chaos dwarves"). I think chaos may be at least three off.

Who's to say that it'll be broken at all here in the US? I'd personally like to think that some of the lists might stick around, I'd love to get a crack at the Dark Elf slaanesh list, and I love the Archaon's Horde list.

sheck2
28-04-2007, 02:30
two years for a chaos rewrite? They still have several armies on the line for being redone, and Gav has stated that they want to take a look at chaos dwarves at the end of the production line ("when [they] have more time to devote to just looking at the chaos dwarves"). I think chaos may be at least three off.

Who's to say that it'll be broken at all here in the US? I'd personally like to think that some of the lists might stick around, I'd love to get a crack at the Dark Elf slaanesh list, and I love the Archaon's Horde list.

I think choas was in the mix for one the next five book re-writes. Its one of the most popular in sales (so it has a good chance for a re-write sooner than later), a lot of the demon models have been pulled off the shelves (might just be re-packaging like the dwarf hammers and ironbreakers, but there are no rumors related to that), and other rumors here on warseer that it might bump from one of the next five to being behind HE and VC...

With it not lasting as a list...IMO it comes down to when teh re-write will happen...if its sometime next year (2008), I think they ban the list to prevent a partial year with old lists and new lists. That gives them over a year and half to release new books.

Canadian_Khan
28-04-2007, 05:54
Here in Canada, there is absolutely no problem in player a Slayer's army... just asked again my GW guys in Montreal... the staff would still against me, and other players also...

And if you want to play with a slayers list against me, i'd still let you play it in 4 years... a guy who spends 500$ on an army deserve to play what so ever... IMO

starlight
28-04-2007, 06:19
If you pull out an army that uses the current set of rules, I'll play you and to heck with the *UKGT rules only* gits who have lost sight of the concept behind a friendly game of toy soldiers among mates.

Corai
28-04-2007, 11:02
If you pull out an army that uses the current set of rules, I'll play you and to heck with the *UKGT rules only* gits who have lost sight of the concept behind a friendly game of toy soldiers among mates.

If you're interested in a friendly game with mates, then trust me, don't indulge the slayer list. Also, are the slayer list rules even still legal with the next edition of the dwarf book having been released?

Thanks
Corai

TeddyC
28-04-2007, 14:45
I had a slayer army. I played a few games with it (thank god you can now use multiple slayer units in normal dwarfs!)

I played once against a pike heavy DOW army and once against a Tzeentch Daemon army.

First game I wiped the DOWs out to a man. Completely mullered them. Second game I was wiped out to man and did not kill a single daemon in return.

They are a very one sided list.

I would recommend a Slayer heavy 'Normal' dwarf list. Otherwise you are stuck with an entire metal army that is just not competitive for varied opponents week in week out

Speed Freek
28-04-2007, 14:51
I played a Slayer army in a Storm of Chaos league.

There were some tactics involved as the army is slow and vulnerable to shooting. It was not entirely a run up the middle list.

However, more than most armies it is very strong against some lists (ie undead) and very weak against others (ie shooty empire or wood elves).

I enjoyed it but I would not recommend the expense of an all metal army that is so hit or miss and likely to be obsoleted soon.