PDA

View Full Version : Gold Figure

snurl
27-04-2007, 09:37
Talk of the special gold WD 30th anniversary figure has reminded me of another one, so here's a question.
A few years back, a company called Grenadier miniatures had an ad campaign that claimed a solid gold figure was in one of their new boxes of figures, (adventurers, i believe if i remember it correctly). I was just wondering if anyone knows if the figure was ever found? Or of it's whereabouts?

The gold WD figure will be quite the prize to collectors.

(sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, please move it if necessary)

RizzenBlade
27-04-2007, 09:52
Almost positive there is no news or rumor in that, as I've seen stated many times, you shoudlnt just post questions in this section, its for rumours and news only

snurl
27-04-2007, 10:05
Almost positive there is no news or rumor in that, as I've seen stated many times, you shoudlnt just post questions in this section, its for rumours and news only

I'm sure one of the mods will move it where it belongs.
There doesn't seem to be a category for "miniatures"
Maybe there should be?

stashman
27-04-2007, 10:28
Hmmm... A Gold Minis is certanly a Rumour to me. Did the really release a mini in pure 24 karat gold.

snurl
27-04-2007, 10:41
Well they say that every GW store will get one of the special anniversary WD figures in gold, although no Karat wt. has been specified. The stores will distribute these as prizes.
They will have several of the figure available in pewter as well, but it will only be available during the anniversary celebration.

Jesse Custer
27-04-2007, 11:02
The 'golden version' of the WD won't be made of gold, only a 'golden' version, just a personal guess. It isn't promoted as being in Gold.

KITS AND BITS
27-04-2007, 11:09
The 'golden version' of the WD won't be made of gold, only a 'golden' version, just a personal guess. It isn't promoted as being in Gold.

Hes right , it would cost a stack of cash to produce one for each shop , and as we know GW are not known for being generous ,more likely it will be bronze like the golden deamon statue .

as for pewter m that would just be white metal wouldnt it ?

DeClaw
27-04-2007, 11:38
The one per shop prize WD is either silver plated or gold plated. If silver, then each region (eg UK, Europe, US, Australasia) will have one gold one up for grabs.

The Dark One
27-04-2007, 11:44
i was told there was a lucky dip, where there is unreleased sprues and other funky stuff in it, like silver (or something like that) Necrons and space marines

Hermanesq
27-04-2007, 12:17
every stores events are entirely up to them,

aswell as the prizes for whatever they decide to run.

the entirity of May is gonna be pretty good tbh, in whatever store you go to.

Chris

Dspankdo
27-04-2007, 13:35
I believe it's gold plated, like the necron sprue thats being done in silver.

Lady's Champion
28-04-2007, 14:07
"WIN an exclusive gold plated, plinth mounted version of the fantastic new White Dwarf miniature."

THIS IS OFF THE GW WEBSITE!

The Lady's Champion

Agamemnon2
28-04-2007, 14:41
Hm. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't a solid gold figure hold detail pretty poorly? Plus you could probably ruin it by dropping it off a table.

Vic
28-04-2007, 17:48
no, gold would hold detail pretty well. And yes, you could do damage to the model by forcefully dropping it or dropping it from a height as gold is pretty soft.

Crube
28-04-2007, 17:51
OK, so the idea about me avoiding the crowds by ordering my LE WD mini has just been shot out the water really hasn't it...

Just imagine how much people will pay for these on eBay - wonder if GW will try and restrict their sale...

Vic
28-04-2007, 17:53
OT a bit.
I really dont know what the near fanatical belief that metal holds more detail over plastic is founded in. Maybe historically? I was building my Tau stealth suit squad, and compared the detail on them with the new plastic models. The metal model was **** poor in detail, and the helmets were a bit off center. Looked at an ethereal model, as well as the pathfinders, found the same lack of supposed detail as well as terrible detail undercuts and the mold lines on the finders was something that needed to be worked out. Dunno, maybe I expect too much out of a model?

Crube
28-04-2007, 17:58
I think it's almost certainly a historical thing

Way back (I'm talking 15-20 years here at least) the plastics were truly awful in general, and the metal models were noticibly better. Even from a distance, on the battlefield.

Nowadays, as technology has progressed, the quality gap has certainly narrowed considerably, and I would contest that many plastic models are better than many metal models

There will always be excpetions, naturally, but as technology advances, both metal nd plastic sculpts can get better. It's just that plastic has had so far to come from...

Strelok
28-04-2007, 18:00
I believe the main complaint with plastic comes from the fact that at some point on the model there is the chance for it to look rather 2-d due to the molding process. Hence, two-piece torsoes, etc. However, I'm rather oblivious, as I don't have any complaints with detail on either, as I typically sculpt on my own :D

However, the discussion on whether plastic or metal holds detail better is rather off-topic. I assume agamemnon2 meant that pure gold would not hold detail so well due to its increased malleability, so it could potentially be nicked or bumped in some way during cleaning or otherwise and lose detail, though I doubt you would put a gold mini in any position to drop, haha. I assume he didn't mean that the original sculpt would have a lack of detail-hold-ability (yes, I just made that word up, obviously). I do enjoy the tangent the comment induced however :)

Crube
28-04-2007, 18:08
, as I don't have any complaints with detail on either, as I typically sculpt on my own :D

Show off :D

, However, the discussion on whether plastic or metal holds detail better is rather off-topic. I assume agamemnon2 meant that pure gold would not hold detail so well due to its increased malleability, so it could potentially be nicked or bumped in some way during cleaning or otherwise and lose detail, though I doubt you would put a gold mini in any position to drop, haha. I assume he didn't mean that the original sculpt would have a lack of detail-hold-ability (yes, I just made that word up, obviously). I do enjoy the tangent the comment induced however :)

I agree, that this is the sort of model that will only ever be kept in displpay cases... although, ,if it is Gold plated rather than cast in gold... could make a difference - imagine if you chipped it.... :eek:

Strelok
28-04-2007, 18:15
God, that would suck even more; at least with gold, if you somehow botched a detail through contact you might be able to fix it with a proper tool.

Haha, as for sculpting my own detail, I'm no GW sculptor, I just do what I need to, and every once in a while it comes out decent.

So, I think GW just needs to give each of us one of these lauded gold minis to allow us to make proper judgments about the models.

The game is afoot
28-04-2007, 18:24
OT a bit.
I really dont know what the near fanatical belief that metal holds more detail over plastic is founded in. Maybe historically? I was building my Tau stealth suit squad, and compared the detail on them with the new plastic models. The metal model was **** poor in detail, and the helmets were a bit off center.

I think the problem you are having is that you are comparing GW metals to GW plastics, if you were to perhaps compare a model from Gamezone , Rackham, Privateer press, Avatars of War, Crocodile Games, Reaper miniatures or Freebooter you would find they are still far and away ahead of GW plastics in terms of holding detail.
They are also significantly more detailed than GW metal models of the last 3 years not in the LotR range.

Vic
28-04-2007, 18:25
This might just be the same as electroplated plastic model cars that have the fenders and bumpers done up in chrome. I dont see it being much else.

Brandir
28-04-2007, 18:25
On the original question yes, Greandier did claim that a solid gold mini was in one of the 'adventurers' box sets. The box contained 20 minis and was produced under the AD&D TSR licence.

Grenadier also put in a few gold plated minis. My friend had one of these. If I remember correctly the quality was extremely poor.

The gold mini waqs a wizard.

swordwind
28-04-2007, 19:17
It should be obvious that you arent supposed to use the gold mini on the tabletop...

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2007, 19:29
I once found a silver miniature in a box. Oh no wait that was just an unpainted metal one he he :D

I haven't heard any rumours of such a gold model, its a useful marketing tool if they are doing it and will increase sale for a while I suppose but I wouldn't go around looking for one - what are you supposed to do with it, you can't paint it and you can't really use it in an army.

swordwind
28-04-2007, 19:34
Why do people buy all those Mcfarlane figures? You cant game with them or paint them, they just sit there looking really really really really cool :confused:

The game is afoot
28-04-2007, 19:38
Why do people buy all those Mcfarlane figures? You cant game with them or paint them, they just sit there looking really really really really cool :confused:

I play against Macfarlane figures regularly in Armies of Arcana. His Dragons are a bit special.

swordwind
28-04-2007, 19:41
Admittedly the Dragons can be used for gaming but how often do your armies face a 20 foot tall Spawn?

The game is afoot
29-04-2007, 06:44
As often as someone wants to field one.
I suppose the same question might well be asked about many of the Forgeworld products.
The most regular FW items I see are ... terrain.
One of the reasons I play Armies of Arcana is that Anything is allowed in the game not just the severely cherry picked items of one company.
(It has to go through a stat point formula first but thats not a big deal to an adult)
That way you can see all these wonderful models take the table instead of gathering dust on the shelf.

Destris
29-04-2007, 07:53
I haven't read through all this thread, but the basics are as follows:

There will be a gold plated version of the new SE WD figure for every store. It is up to them how they distribute it, either through raffles, events, or something like that.

There will also be a lucky dip, which will contain "silver" Marines and Necrons, really old bits, and even UNRELEASED minis.

D.

Strelok
29-04-2007, 22:03
I would really like to see those silver marines and necrons, and I always like to see unreleased minis, so hmm, I hope someone gets a thread up when these things start being given out.

Gaius_Baltar
29-04-2007, 22:27
actually, the way the determine it is. You fill out a survey for WD, and they do a draw at each store for it.

Agamemnon2
29-04-2007, 22:30
As often as someone wants to field one.
I suppose the same question might well be asked about many of the Forgeworld products.
The most regular FW items I see are ... terrain.
One of the reasons I play Armies of Arcana is that Anything is allowed in the game not just the severely cherry picked items of one company.
(It has to go through a stat point formula first but thats not a big deal to an adult)
That way you can see all these wonderful models take the table instead of gathering dust on the shelf.

okay, now that's what I call a classic example of derailing a thread to go after windmills. Not to mention the "...not a big deal to an adult" bit which more confrontational persons might read as a snide remark aimed at people who use other systems.

Bretagne
29-04-2007, 23:24
GW can hardly sculpt pewter, i dont think they're going to make a solid gold figure.

Gaius_Baltar
30-04-2007, 00:05
it's gold PLATED
so it's just a normal mini, and they use electro-plating, so it's only a few quid worth of gold on it "they might use a harder metal than pewter, so it doesn't bent, and cause the gold plating to crack, or flake off"

Tastyfish
30-04-2007, 01:07
Well they say that every GW store will get one of the special anniversary WD figures in gold, although no Karat wt. has been specified.

Surely it will be Karaz - a - Karat?

What? Someone had to say it.

Mikhaila
30-04-2007, 04:11
okay, now that's what I call a classic example of derailing a thread to go after windmills. Not to mention the "...not a big deal to an adult" bit which more confrontational persons might read as a snide remark aimed at people who use other systems.

That's standard for TGIA. Bash GW, sing praise for AoA, then somehow link it to 'I'm the adult, if you disagree, you're not'.

As to the original topic, I'm hoping they give store managers a lot of leeway in the events that they use to give the gold figs away. The goofier the better, and let us see a list of the best ones.

Destris
30-04-2007, 07:34
actually, the way the determine it is. You fill out a survey for WD, and they do a draw at each store for it.

Nope.

Some stores in some countries may do it like that, but others are giving them away through events.

For example, the Wakefield store where I am ATM are doing a quiz all the way through May, and whoever gets the most questions right wins the gold plated mini.

D.