PDA

View Full Version : 13th company

onnotangu
28-04-2007, 16:57
Fellow and few user's of the SW 13th company ..I stand here the owner of quite a few models and little motivation to continue assembling or painting them. I honestly have no idea if they will even be usable in the upcoming updates and ask you should I simply trade them off or continue down the path of Russ?

what I own:
27 wulfen
3 placks of grey slayers
5 bikes
melta gun toting longfang pack
rune priest
wolf priest
and the SW special characters

malisteen
28-04-2007, 17:22
Well... pretty much everything should be fine for counting as the normal SW equivalent other then the wulfen.

13th company saw a lot of play during the EoT, and they're part of the fluff now. I'd be shocked if we didn't see some kind of wulfen unit in the new SW book when it comes out, but I doubt it will be a troop choice. It will probably be an elites choice, which means you'll still likely have too many wulfen, unless you field three units of them (and even then, you'll likely have two too many). Also, doing so would mean passing up on all the fun elite options (terminators, probably their scouts still) that will open up to you upon being accepted back into the fold.

So... I'd say there's reasonable hope that if you want to keep the '13th company' feel everything will still be legal in one way or another apart from maybe two wulfen. However, your win ratio will likely take a hit, since you'll almost certainly lose your teleport power and your armywide scout rule, and you won't be picking up on many (or any) of the options newly available to you that would otherwise make up for that loss.

If I were you, I'd trade away 12 of the wulfen. That will cut you down to 20 wulfen, which should still be enough to maintain a '13th company' theme so long as the new book contains an option for a wulfen unit. Then you'll be able to use a third elites choice. Also, you'll have fewer wulfen to get rid of if it turns out my guess is wrong and there are no wulfen units in the new Space Wolves book.

If you take my advice, try to trade away 12 with chaos backpacks - That way you can market them either as a painted wulfen unit or as a unit of khornate possessed that just requires a repaint. Wulfen make great khornate possessed models.

Anyway, you still have a lot of play left in your 13th company list. Next marines up are probably blood angels at this point, so I doubt we'll see a Space Wolf codex untill 2009 at the earliest.

t-tauri
28-04-2007, 17:39
I'd think the update may be done in 2008 like the BA update through WD. I'd hope to see the options needed for a 13th Company army to be in the next SW list but at the moment it's a long way in the future. Hopefully the Wulfen will still be legal. Given the way the current trend is to reduce and amalgamate similar lists like the Eldar codex has done I don't think we'll see an individual 13th company list in this edition.

If you keep or trade the option has to be yours. Do you still have any enthusiasm for the army?

onnotangu
28-04-2007, 18:07
I'd think the update may be done in 2008 like the BA update through WD. I'd hope to see the options needed for a 13th Company army to be in the next SW list but at the moment it's a long way in the future. Hopefully the Wulfen will still be legal. Given the way the current trend is to reduce and amalgamate similar lists like the Eldar codex has done I don't think we'll see an individual 13th company list in this edition.

If you keep or trade the option has to be yours. Do you still have any enthusiasm for the army?

I haven't even played them yet. I'm still playing my tyranids

malisteen
28-04-2007, 18:11
Give 'em a go! They're still fun rules. And even if a WD update comes in '08, the 13th company list will probably still exist up to the new book probably a year after that. 13th company have a lot of gaming left in them. And if GW decides to throw 13th company players a bone with a wulfen unit in the new book, then pretty much everything you have will still be playable as a generic SW equivalent.

Bestial Fury
28-04-2007, 20:51
I say keep'em if you are a SW fan and would still play normal wolves once there are some updates. Your 13th could easily be a lost company of normal wolves. Wolves are not as strict as their codex brethern and may have different colors/schemes for their army. You could also use your wulfen to count as BloodClaws. Maybe this lost company also uses wulfen but they are not as seasoned as the brothers who reside in the Eye.

I'm currently working on my mainstream force and I'm in a quandry about doing the 13th next. I may do them as a lost company(seperate scheme from 13th or mainstream wolves) and then just do some adds modelling wise to make them mainstream if the update does not include a lot of 13th company flavor. Or I may use 'count as' for some of my models.

onnotangu
29-04-2007, 04:17
Ok I'll try them out and see how they fare. I was Just at the point of trying to decide if I needed to invest in Fenris wolves and really didn't want to shell out $3 each for plastic wolves or more for the chaos hounds.

Bestial Fury
29-04-2007, 06:37
You could also use a list which will be more adaptable to the mainstream army. Maybe use a bike heavy list v/s many wolves or wulfen which are iffy in terms of their inclusion in the next update. I just mention that because I'm weighing that as an option for my army as well. I've already cast my die on the wolves so I'll have two units in my 2000 pt list. The third slot goes to bikers which could be used whenever there is an update.

I'm also plan on modelling them the colors of the 13th but no chaos parts. I'll try to use more pre heresy/heresy armor. If the 13th list gets whacked I'll turn them into a lost company who left the Fang right after the heresy was over in an attempt to find their lost 13th brothers in the eye. ;)

leonmallett
29-04-2007, 11:25
I did a 13th Company army about 3 years ago or so. What I have recently done is embarked on adding some vehicles and an extra unit (Scouts) to make the army usable as a Space Wolf list, using them as a lost company with essentially a 13th Company background. The new vehicles have some chaos-y bit to keep the theme established from the origianl models. I have even got a FW Mk IV venerable dreadnought using a chaos missile launcher (scavenged off a chaos enemy of course) to carry this though.

The_Outsider
29-04-2007, 11:54
13th company rock so much and are great fun to use and in non standard missions they can really shine.