PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice....

UncleCrazy
28-04-2007, 19:12
Anyone notice that the first 3rd ed Chaos Codex was writen by JJ?

Anyone noticed that all the rummors sound like most of the first 3rd ed codex is coming back?

One stat line for Demons: Hmm maybe 15pts ea?

Cults are going back in to their own listing?

And I bet that Obliterators are going to be very close to what they were in the First Thrid ed.

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2007, 19:14
Doesnt Jervis Johnson have a hand in all the codices?

|twynsic|e
28-04-2007, 19:15
Jervis isn't writing the new chaos codex though, is he?

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2007, 19:25
Don't know - who is? I thought that JJ had a bit of input no matter how small into all the rules, same with the other members of the development team at GW

Anyway I never liked the 3rd ed CSM codex due to the lack of fluff, if I'm thinking of the thin booklet codices, if that wasn't 3rd ed. I'll have to rearrange my memory. And why would they make it like the 3rd ed. that'd be a dozen steps back?

Indrid Khold
28-04-2007, 20:34
Anyway I never liked the 3rd ed CSM codex due to the lack of fluff, if I'm thinking of the thin booklet codices, if that wasn't 3rd ed. I'll have to rearrange my memory. And why would they make it like the 3rd ed. that'd be a dozen steps back?

Oooooh man would I love to diagram those sentences.... *drools*

sigur
28-04-2007, 20:38
Those were different times. GW was possessed by satanic powers (even more than now, :p) back then. Codices were all pretty messed up and basically the whole game was a mess. Looks like someone thought that the richness of the games (yes, it had problems too) was a cancer so he ordered 40k to be chemo'ed. After that, we had 3rd edition. Scorched earch. I don't give much about the rumors that float around currently about Codex CSM (or Chaos or whatever). Let's just wait and see. It's not like we have any influence.

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2007, 20:43
Oooooh man would I love to diagram those sentences.... *drools*

Well if you want to comment on my grammatical incorrectness or anything else wrong with my posts then please do, I never have or will claim to be grammitcally correct or politically correct for that matter, but at lease state what it is you find wrong with my posts that requires them to be diagramed?

Those were different times. GW was possessed by satanic powers (even more than now, ) back then. Codices were all pretty messed up and basically the whole game was a mess. Looks like someone thought that the richness of the games (yes, it had problems too) was a cancer so he ordered 40k to be chemo'ed. After that, we had 3rd edition. Scorched earch. I don't give much about the rumors that float around currently about Codex CSM (or Chaos or whatever). Let's just wait and see. It's not like we have any influence.

Heh yeah we the people who buy the products don't have any influence, must keep reminding myself of that :p Oops getting anti GW and political again.

As long as they improve on the CSM codex (not that it needs it IMO) and as long as I didn't spend 6 months converting and painting my Khorne Daemon Lord in Terminator Armour with Pair of Lighning Claws for nothing I'll be happy - 6 months heh makes it sound as though it looks good, shame it doesn't compared to some of the stuff I've seen in M P & T forum.

Isambard
28-04-2007, 21:00
Lets hope this is true, JJ >>>>> Pete Haines.

We may get some sane books now, not the 8 MC list of the nids, the Iron Warriors beard fest of guns or the Ass Cannon fest that are Space Marines.

The last few books, Tau, Eldar and DA have all been sane :D

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2007, 21:02
One man's insanity is another man's sanity. Such lists are only beardy if you use them in that way. :D

Karhedron
28-04-2007, 21:08
One man's insanity is another man's sanity. Such lists are only beardy if you use them in that way. :D

While true up to a point, I think that GW have realised that is important to design lists that are not too abusable. It is no use relying on the good will of players not to abuse broken lists in a competative game (especially tournements).

I think that the new Eldar codex is a great example of a codex that was nicely balanced without being neutered. All the craftworld lists are gone but you can field an army themed along any of the Craftworlds without needing a separate list.

I think that if the new Chaos Dex is along the lines of the new Eldar dex then it should be great.

Darkangeldentist
28-04-2007, 22:18
Whilst I would applaud GW if the chaos book was a balanced as the eldar book I'm not holding my breath.

Remember this thread was started because JJ is meant to be one of the main writers not Phil Kelly. So we are more likely to see something alone the lines of dark angels or blood angels.

Personally I worry a lot when Jervis is part of the writing team. He seems to be able to avoid writing overpowered armies. The reverse in fact which is just as much cause for worry. I like Jervis as a guide for the image and direction of 40K but still don't like his rules.

Playa
29-04-2007, 03:01
Hey,

Anyone notice that the first 3rd ed Chaos Codex was writen by JJ?

Anyone remember how it was face-meltingly, unplayably awful?

Anyone noticed that all the rummors sound like

Anyone remember how ~20pct of rumours prove even partly accurate?

Instead of oblique reference and sly innuendo, try a few facts:

Fact - Codex: CSM v3.0 reeked.

v3.1(a-c) was the rough - very rough - blueprint for all the v4 Codecii.

We got generic Marine rules with Marks and Vet Skills for flavour.

IG got generic Army rules with Doctrines. SM got Traits, and so on.

So, the next CSM Codex will simply be a refined version of 3.1c.

Now, let me screw on my aluminum foolscap and make a wild prediction:

Look for new Unit types and Characters to coincide with the release.

After all, in case you've forgotten, GW publishes Codecii to sell models.

They've no motive any more noble or complex than that.

Playa

shabbadoo
29-04-2007, 05:13
New units types? Possibly, but if so don't expect more than one or two, if any.

Instead, expect new models for existing units. Look to "The Watchman" e-zine for more info when it finally uploads in the next few hours/tommorow. I know Th Watchman focusses on WFB, but ther is supposed to be something juicy in it for 40K this time. That is what I have heard at least...