PDA

View Full Version : Things about the films you DID like!

Adept
28-04-2007, 22:17
Well, just to balance things out I figured I should create a thread for praise of the films. I don't expect this thread to be as popular; people are always happier to complain than to compliment!

In no particular order, my favourite scenes would have to be:

- The charge of the Rohirrim at Pelennor fields. I expect this one to be quite popular. In my opinion, it was one of the most masterfully executed battle scenes ever. Brilliance.

- The death of Boromir. Always very moving.

- Theoden's line "No parent should have to bury their child" is a very simple, very touching scene. Excellent acting by Bernard Hill all around, really.

- Gandalf versus the Balrog. "You shall not pass!". Gandalf rocks.

I really love all of the films (except the damned Army of the Dead...) and there are numerous little bits that I love, like the scene with the Crebain, where Boromir is teaching Merry and Pippin some swordplay, or the scene where Frodo loses the ring on the slopes of Caradras - "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt, over so small a thing" - and Boromir picks it up. The entire siege of Helm's Deep rocks my world, and the very start of the FotR, before Gandalf discovers the true nature of the Ring is always entertaining. "Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's ale?" "No. Well, yes. But thats beside the point!"

So, which parts of the flims did you particularly enjoy?

superknijn
28-04-2007, 22:50
Most of the stuff in the extended scenes, except for the river of skulls.
The extended scenes really made Boromirs' tale what it was.

Any scene with Saruman in it in The Two Towers. I read the book before I saw the film, and he was almost exactly as I imagined he would be. (ofcourse, I had already seen the first film, but Cristopher Lee maintained that evilness from the first film; I hope you catch my drift)

Dr Death
29-04-2007, 14:35
Adept's pretty much picked up on everything i found to be fantastic in the films (completely agree on the early part of fotr particularly Bilbo's utterly characteristic 'They've never forgiven me for living this long' line). Fellowship of the Ring really remains a joy to watch from start to finish and there are so many pieces within that i adore that i really couldnt list them.

The latter two films you have to search that much harder but they're still there. I particularly enjoy the scenes in the extended edition of TTT with Gandalf including his wonderfully spaced out expression as he says 'i am Saruman...' and his conversation with Aragorn as they camp on the way to Edoras.

Bernard Hill i am in utter agreement with Adept with too. There were a few niggling parts with the script he was given but the performance itself was practically flawless. You really do feel the spring of youth in his voice as he utters 'dark have been my dreams of late' (King of the Golden Hall was actually one of my favourite chapters in the book as well).

A word has to go to the Grey Havens scene which ended (or should have ended if i'm not being a traitor to say going for the book's ending was the wrong thing to do). With the exception of a couple of bad shots using the dwarf actors the entire scene really hit a beautiful chord and was a blissfully melencholy tone to end on.

Dr Death

schoolcormorant
29-04-2007, 14:41
it's still a movie of LotR is why i love them, i mean, i'm not one of the trendy-wendy's who call the films a travesty and what have you.
i think LotR gamers need to thank the movie for the GW game too really.

i loved Sean Bean's boromir from start to very abrupt finish.

i loved the way Minas Tirith was shown

despite the lack of the obvious i loved the bits between Frodo leaving the shire and getting to rivendell

FAVOURITE MOMENT - when they reforge the sword and it cuts to Gandalf/pippin riding to minas Tirith

most of the movies were very very enjoyable

SC

Pertinax
29-04-2007, 14:44
I like the landscapes.

Gondorian
29-04-2007, 14:58
There are so many scenes throughout the films that I love that it would take to long to name them all.
Mainly I loved the way that all the effort went into creating middle earth. All of the scenery, the dress of the people down to their belt buckles, all of the imagery really captures middle earth for me.
I also enjoyed the music throughout and loved the way characters from different races were different in their movement and similar things. eg. how the elves are so graceful, how the orcs have their bow legged run etc. I also thought that their choice of cast was flawless. I can't think of one character who had the wrong actor picked for them. I know Craig Parker as Haldir sometimes gets some stick but I don't see why personally. All the actors were great

Three of my favourite scenes are:
The lighting of the beacons from Gondor to Rohan, not strictly by the book but Gondor did light beacons for the fiefdoms and this scene was amazing.
The march of the ents out from Fanghorn.
The battle at Osgiliath and Pippin's song as they try to reclaim it.
I also like pretty much all the ones adept has mentioned, there are just too many to write down.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
06-05-2007, 17:04
where to start...
the shire scenes always seem to make me happy for some reason, very nice atmosphere.:)
The last alliance was amazing, no other director excpet PJ would try to take that on.
You shall not pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brilliant-great music there too- hu she ha ha hoo la du ha.
Rivendale and Lorien were very nice, would have liked to see a bit more of them though-me like forests.
Boromir death, as sombody said, very moving, it irritated me so much when asked, peasants say oh, Boromir, wasn't he the bad guy who died? :mad:

the way the two way hunt of the uruks was done was good
the whole of the helm's deep seige was great.
The rangers shooting the Haradrim to bits in that great landscape was brilliant. I LOVE RANGERS AND STEALTH!
Faramir's flashback was vital
I'm not sure what was special about Theoden, in fact I didn't like his character, and at his son's funeral I thought he could have been a bit more thoughtful and not start laughing! :D

Minas Tirith was just Brilliant in every way
Before the Rohirrim charge, great, large mass, good atmosphere, though did he have to be so pesimistic--'ride for ruin, and the world's ending!' :D
and yes, the beackons scene was also very good, except the stupid speed of the chain reaction.

most of all, the main two things that made the whole trillogy the best films ever made, was...
Howard Shore's music, I've said it before and I'll say it again, everything about it was fantastic, it really gave middle Earth its colour, can you imagine it without music? it runs through the entire films except for some talking scenes. It fits perfectly and is so epic!

and all that Weta Workshop did for the film. They did everything down to the last pattern. so much work was put into things that would mostly be unseen and unnoticed, but it was that covering all the angles that made it so uncheep looking and reallistic.

brightblade
06-05-2007, 20:28
there is sooooo much to love in the movies. the whole production design is awesome and largely spot on to my mind. i always watch the movies with the same beautific smile on my face that I had when my dad read the books to me as a child. Agree totally with everything everyone has said.
The Shire...great,
Rivendell.....great,
Moria and Balrog...great
Helms Deep...great
Pelennor Fields and the charge of the Rohirrm...great
The Ents...fantastic
Mordor and Shelob.. great
Last Alliance of Men and Elves with Gil-Galad kicking ****... love it.
Sean Beans Hair acting in the death of Boromir...probably the finest hair acting in the best death scene ever put on film.
There is not a bad piece of casting in the film, from Sam to Grima to Theoden to Elrond..
The films are great.
The massive amount of love and attention to detail put into the films is amazing and I can't think of a book adaption that does as good a job.
And they said it was unfilmable! The only thing that is seriously wrong with the films is that they are not long enough.... Hahahaha

Damien 1427
06-05-2007, 20:52
I like the landscapes.

I have to agree. If it just consisted of plenty of shots of scenery I'd have been happy.

Chainaxe07
08-05-2007, 07:31
The overall rendition of the somewhat more human Uruk Hai and their bad relationship with common orcs, the rohirrim and their cool viking\saxon look and just about all the evil humans, from Corsairs to Haradrim, up to the stunning (and unfortunately underused) Easterlings. Did not like the elves...

Crube
08-05-2007, 09:20
To be honest, I enjoyed the films.

I'm not much of a film buff, but the whole story was thoroughly enjoyable, and ultimatel more accessible to me than the books, which I found very hard going in places.

The settings and costumes were something to behold though...

OrlyggJafnakol
08-05-2007, 09:31
The settings and costumes were something to behold though...

Agree totally. I remember when I bought the extended boxset for Fellowship. I have never watched a film and its extras before and wished I had taken part in its creation...

I was quite sad when I walked out of the cinema after watching Return... I remember thinking, that is it, after 3 years no more films of this quality and scope.:cries:

Alathir
08-05-2007, 09:53
Bernard Hill was freaking amazing... brought so much to the character.

The same has to be said for Sean Bean, I've always been a fan of his and Boromir and Theoden were my two favourite characters in these films.

I didn't have much of a problem with the films really... well Return of the King has some major things like the overdone frodo and sam and the army of the dead etc.

but overall, fantastic films - especially the fellowship- which I enjoyed immensely.

Dr Death
08-05-2007, 10:39
I completely agree with Crube, the films triumphed regardless of the actual 'film' in the sheer beauty of the visualisation of Tolkiens world. Every prop, costume and landscape you could beleive in (even if it wasnt initially how you imagined it to look) and it is a great testiment to the work of all the designers and other artists involved in the creation of the physical aspect of the film that they nailed it so perfectly.

Dr Death

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-05-2007, 16:59
can somebody please tell me what's so great about bernard Hill? I saw nothing special. dont shoot me.

Dr Death
08-05-2007, 17:23
I'm not sure if i can quite put my finger on what was so great about Bernard Hill's performance to be honest, he just 'got it right': a certain tone in delivery, a certain motion; i dont know to be honest but for me (and apparently several others) he just managed to produce a character that you could beleive in. There was of course the 'no parent should bury their child' line but that was just part of an overall spot on depiction of his character.

Dr Death

ironfather512
10-05-2007, 22:26
the charge of the rohirim .
thepart in helms deep when all the elves shoot and about 4 lines of uru-ki fall to the ground

the 2nd age battle at mount doom

Darth_Blade
31-05-2007, 18:23
The fall of Osgiliath in the Extended Return of the King. Faramirs attempt to hold back the Orcs has a wonderful heroic futility to it- you know they are going to fail but they still fight hard!

I have no criticisms of the films, to me they were awesome without pretending to be definitive. People who criticise the films as a 'travesty' should stick to their incomprehensible black and white French Art House Films that have the word 'fin' at the end....:D

The Judge
31-05-2007, 21:48
Bernard Hill made the last two films for me.

Aragorn and Boromir in the first.

The music when the Fellowship reacts to Gandalf's death... PERFECTION.

Stormtrooper Clark
01-06-2007, 00:18
I really liked the Osgiliath scenes

The Seige of Gondor was awesome, i liked it more than Helms Deep!

Wasn't too struck on the BotPF myself, still it was good

Sniper Kelly
01-06-2007, 00:45
Some of my favourite scenes:

The tower of Cirith Ungol - one of the best parts of the book.

John Noble (?) as Denethor. A lot of people didn't like him, but I thought he did a great job.

When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet Eomer for the first time and trade insults.

Aragorns speech at the black gate.