PDA

View Full Version : as much as i love dwarfs

forthegloryofkazadekrund
30-04-2007, 10:16
is it me or is the new plastic general/standard box not that good, looks awful anyone else agree??

Bloodknight
30-04-2007, 10:39
I dont think there is even a plastic box. The models youve seen (guy on oath stone and BSB) are metal models.

Bombot
30-04-2007, 12:07
is it me or is the new plastic general/standard box not that good, looks awful anyone else agree??

I think the a lot of the new dwarfs, plastics especially, look rubbish, but I got a dwarf army by Black Tree Design so I don't really care. Their Greatbeards look excellent - far better than they do on the website - and their Ironclad dwarfs are sweet too.

I'm not really a fan of GW's norse look for the dwarfs, but that's just personal preference. I prefer the old Imperial dwarf look (which is what BTD ape, Hammerers excepted) as it makes them look like they do actually live in the same world as the Empire.

Aorek
30-04-2007, 15:12
Norse? they're not nordic at all really. Far more celtic from what i see. In fact most new dwarf's, including the new bsb and lord, seem to take most of thier influences from asterix and oblix ;D

Bombot
30-04-2007, 16:29
Winged and horned helmets were Scandinavian, as far as I'm aware, although I know what you mean about Asterix :)

Either way, to me they still don't look like a a race that lives right next door to the Empire. Just my opinion, mind.

Multifarious
30-04-2007, 17:12
They are a different species that lives underground and is rather insular and holds to the old traditions. Why would they resemble the empire at all? The dwarf army list does not really represent imperial dwarfs, but ones who still are commonly in their mountain holds.

EmperorNorton
30-04-2007, 17:16
And seeing that the Dwarfs are the older and highly influential culture, the question should be "Why don't the Empire guys look more like them?" rather than the other way 'round.

I think they look great and from what I've read they seem to received well overall, so probably it is you.

Bombot
30-04-2007, 17:27
And seeing that the Dwarfs are the older and highly influential culture, the question should be "Why don't the Empire guys look more like them?" rather than the other way 'round.

Isn't that a bit like asking why don't we dress like the ancient Romans?

I think they look great and from what I've read they seem to received well overall, so probably it is you.

I know I'm not the only one who likes the Imperial Dwarf look but if people like the new GW ones then good for them. I'm just bigging up an alternative :)

EmperorNorton
30-04-2007, 17:38
Isn't that a bit like asking why don't we dress like the ancient Romans?

Not at all, really.

If the ancient Romans were still around, then it'd be a bit like asking that.

Bombot
30-04-2007, 17:44
Well in that case I see your point, but don't agree with it.

Humans may well have dressed like dwarfs once, but fashions change and I don't see why they should hold on to dwarf traditional dress.

EmperorNorton
30-04-2007, 17:56
Well in that case I see your point, but don't agree with it.

Humans may well have dressed like dwarfs once, but fashions change and I don't see why they should hold on to dwarf traditional dress.

Of course fashions change and despite any influence two cultures sharing a border will evolve differently.
And that brings us back to one of your original points:

Either way, to me they still don't look like a a race that lives right next door to the Empire.

Here you take the Empire as the focal point by which you judge the appearance of the Dwarfs. I objected to that, saying that if anything it should be the other way around, but even then the two cultures wouldn't have to look much alike.

So why do you think the Dwarfs don't look like a race that lives right next door to the Empire?

Bombot
30-04-2007, 18:12
So why do you think the Dwarfs don't look like a race that lives right next door to the Empire?

Simply because such a disparity in dress style just doesn't feel very real to me.

I prefer to think that the Warhammer races genuinely interract with and influence one another.

Aorek
30-04-2007, 18:36
Winged and horned helmets were Scandinavian, as far as I'm aware, although I know what you mean about Asterix :)

Either way, to me they still don't look like a a race that lives right next door to the Empire. Just my opinion, mind.

Well asterix is a celt albet a french one so were the scandinavians. Celtic dosnt just originate in the british isle, it really all depends on what era of history your talking about.

So the conical hats, the runes, edging on the banners, the carved barners and yes the winged and horned helms all seem reminicent of celtic stylings to me.

Nordic styling at least in the warhammer world seems to be wearing pelts and not coming your hair. Which is what the nordic dwarfs look like i guess (never seen any yet just nordic warhammer humans).

Hehe good point. The answer prolly lies in differing climates, and the dwarfs stubbornness :)

Bombot
30-04-2007, 19:00
Anyway, celtic or norse, it's not the look I wanted.

I like the GW ironbreakers and some of the characters are nice, but they are mad expensive. I'm really not a big fan of the plastic warriors.

Arhalien
30-04-2007, 19:18
I personally think that the new Dwarf characters are great; some of the best models produced by GW for the stunties. Characterful and detailed, with good posing. But then I like the dwarven style.

I have to say that I think they've grown less Nordic with the update. The old models had the heads that looked like they came from Vikings, or at least out stereotypical image of them ;). The new ones seem to be slightly more unique (although i;ve been told today that that is grammatically wrong ;)) in style, slightly more Warhammer-y

Bingo the Fun Monkey
30-04-2007, 19:55
I think the new Dwarf characters that were released with the book are great. The two new ones *really* look like they're made of plastic but could be a metal cast of a sculpt over a plastic basis. I guess they're OK. The new plastic dwarfs are a huuuuuge improvement over the fists-of-doom dwarfs of last edition but still a long shot worse than the old metal clansmen. I think that streamlined plastic sets and a complete abandoning of metal core troops is an unwise decision. They could still make pewter imperial dwarfs, for example.