PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Chaos Models?

Jedi152
30-04-2007, 15:08
This is just a thread to get ideas, and to help anyone else who doesn't want to use the chaos plastics.

I like Chaos in Warhammer. I love the idea, i love the theme, and i do love the models. It's what makes Warhammer Warhammer. The models perfectly represent what the lists represents, a northern chaos worshipping tribe. But that's not for me.

That sort of chaos army isn't what i think about when i think of chaos in the old world. I think cultists, hidden in cities, conducting rituals to summon daemons and cause the Gods to notice them. Warriors whose belief has slewed to darker Gods - whether wittingly or unwittingly. People who are forced out of hiding to flee to the Northern Wastes in search of their destiny. I think entire rural towns secretly devoted to the Dark Gods, harbouring mutants and beastmen in the local woods, all brought together by a high ranking magister - think a Warhammer Wicker Man...

This is the sort of army i want - basically i wondered about using the lists to represent a chaos cultist army, an army of outcast mutants and undercover renegades. The idea is a group of cultists have managed to summon a daemon (exhaulted daemon in the list) and are working bringing together cultists from villages around with beasts and mutants that are hidden in the forests (mainly so i can shoehorn the amazing Morghur model in somewhere). But i'll need new models.

I had the idea of using free company as marauders - suitably armed of course - as the lowermost cult members, everyday members of society. Maybe make them all look as individual as possible but the bring them together with a single mark, like a brand or tattoo on the same arm.

The new flagellants could make good cultists, suitably painted. But i'm not so sure.

What about warriors? My only thought was empire footknights, again all painted as individuals, but that poses problems.

Andy ideas for models/conversions? Will it work? Will it look crap? Half of me says the units will just be too random and not 'work' together.

Briohmar
30-04-2007, 15:29
It is the blessing of Chaos that you have a free slate to work with. For cultist Warriors, you could opt for any number of model choices, I personally like the Brethren from Mordheim Cult of the Possessed, as they have robes and hoods, and two weapons each. For marauders I use Sisters repentia converted with great swords, for my second unit, I use old Amazons with Hand Weapons and shields. For my marauder Horse, I've done extensive conversion with the new Amazons and mounted them (using Kislev Horse Archer legs), for knights, I'm in the process of converting Sisters of Battle Seraphim, and mounting them on the old style Metal Chaos knight legs (They are actually working out very well, but need some extensive work to get the hoses and icons off their armor. My army is from the Brothel of the Mutants, reported to exist in the sewers under Nuln.

Figure out what you want to do, then do it, so long as the conversions get the point across, and there's no question what they represent, there should be no problem with how you do it.

Aorek
30-04-2007, 19:53
The choas warriors and knights aren't too bad. I feel they can repreisent knights/worriors of the empire gone bad. Most of the spikes horns and stuff are as a result of the mutating effects of choas on them and their armour. I plan on using them in my emipre based choas horde.

The problem is representing the marauders. Some combo of men at arms with marauder wepons, standards and maybe some heads was what i was thinking. So I would end up with guys in tattered robes with primative but nasty looking wepons.

Although in the end i think i'll just use beast herds and beastigors instead of marauders. But keeping my eyes open for something to represent like you say the every day cultists.

Bretagne
30-04-2007, 19:58
consider the plague monks. with a few conversions, you could make an army of hunched, plague ridden cloaked warriors.
WD did a segment on cults, which were human groups that, whether they know it or not, worship chaos. i wish i could remember the issue.

C-Coen
30-04-2007, 22:17
The one with the beatiful arwork of mutating humans? In the same issue was an article about Sigmars worship? I remember that one.. (if that's the one you're talking about)
*goes searching in the online WD database*
It's UK number 304 (30 years of GW).
''The Enemy Within: An exposť of the cults that eat away at the Empire, and not just those that follow Chaos. Includes a scenario, the Purple Hand, which recreates the instance of the destruction of the self-same cult.''

Bretagne
30-04-2007, 22:46
The one with the beatiful arwork of mutating humans? In the same issue was an article about Sigmars worship? I remember that one.. (if that's the one you're talking about)
*goes searching in the online WD database*
It's UK number 304 (30 years of GW).
''The Enemy Within: An exposť of the cults that eat away at the Empire, and not just those that follow Chaos. Includes a scenario, the Purple Hand, which recreates the instance of the destruction of the self-same cult.''

thats the one. great issue. i actually started a little cult myself after reading it.

Briohmar
01-05-2007, 07:34
Catachans with Marauder weapons also make great Empire Soldiers gone bad if done right. They have a basic uniform, which could be done in empire colors, but have that feeling of puffiness gone, I think a soldier of Empire who turned to chaos would lose the puffy sleeves first and foremost. And one of the effects of chaos is the strengthening that is evident of the marauder arms.

dodicula
01-05-2007, 07:48
If you are willing to go out of range, these are easily the coolest "Chaos Warrior" type models
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=680&code_lg=lg_us&num=40

The rest of that range has some nice "cultist" type stuff too including....
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=479&code_lg=lg_us&num=40
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_familles.cfm?type=normal&num=46&code_lg=lg_us
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_familles.cfm?type=normal&num=27&code_lg=lg_us
and many others!

Many people will only buy GW, I say "The best mini (to my eyes at least) gets my dollar"