PDA

View Full Version : Awfully tempted....

machine_recovered_meat
30-04-2007, 16:01
to invest in the LOTR game.

It's got a decent reputation [from what I have heard] and a beautiful range of miniatures, which have the wonderful ability to double up for roleplaying purposes [great on a combat grid].

I've already picked up a box of Uruk scouts [to paint as a break from painting other things] and a box of Riders of Rohan [much the same reason] plus a couple of single figures for rpg'ing
and I'm giving serious consideration to picking up the game, should the disposable income be available.
I also keep seeing the Mines of Moria box, which seems to have a clutch of decent minis.

So... in short, sell it to me
- what do you like about it ?
- what don't you like?
- how does it play ?

Thanks in advance

revford
30-04-2007, 16:44
Okay, it's great and you should buy into it.

It's both a skirmish wargame and a tabletop adventure game. Two ways to play using the same rules. The adventures are usually in the 'Journey' books and the wargame armies are in the 'Expansion' books.

The Mines of Moria box contains the Fellowship, a Troll and about a million goblins and the scenery and gaming table for playing one 'Journey' scenario, Balin's Tomb. (could be closer to 24 goblins, but looks like a lot)

Yes, the table is included, it's the box, you just paint up the inside and add the included scenery and it's all good to go. You really can play on almost any sized or shaped table, I've had good games on anything from 1'x18" to 4'x4'. Usually I'll play on a 2'x2' board packed with terrain.

Play is dynamic, the switching priority means that first turn isn't a game winner (40K, I'm looking at you!) and the flow of the game switches back and forth.

Captains lead the army, rather than being super melee fighters. A system of 'Might' points are used to call for 'Heroic Actions', this means taking a move or shoot out of turn for the Captain and his allies nearby, further adding to the dynamic feel of the army.

Simple rules for things like jumping, swimming and climbing are in there, if that helps to give you an idea of the action in Rings games, very different to the huge battles of WHFB.

And there is the catch, it's not a big battles game. It's a skirmish game. This is a good thing to me but some people like the big epic sweeping battles on desolate wasteland, rather than the gritty personal scrapping in the dark forest.

You can play big battles, there are even good siege rules but it's really all about small man to man combat.

As a bonus the minis are almost universally great and 3 a box cheaper than the other core games.

Mars
30-04-2007, 22:56
Well, first off it's relatively cheap: especially the older models you can get very cheap second hand, 24 Goblins go at about 5 Euro's if not less, not much more for any other plastic boxes, other than the newer releases.

Secondly it has the best fighting system of all GW games. Same can be said for the movement phase. As well as the roles that Heroes play, 40K and Fantasy really can't compare as far as the use of Heroes goes.

Thirdly, there is an incredible flexibility in army creation, you can mix just about anything in any way you like it.

These positive points are also it's downsides.

Firstly a lot of people are selling their stuff because they don't use it, meaning it can be hard to find a lot of opponents.

Secondly, to second revford, the lotr gaming system is primarily designed for skirmishers, if like me you love nothing more than fielding 400 men (and still go "where is the rest of my army? :eyebrows:"), you're in for a long run. Large scale battle rules are rumoured to be on their way though.

Thirdly you can mix just about anything, but there is relatively little to mix compared to the other gaming systems, and the future is a bit uncertain. That said I do believe there's a chance LotR might go the way of Fantasy or 40K, it certainly has the potential.

revford
30-04-2007, 23:15
Thirdly you can mix just about anything, but there is relatively little to mix compared to the other gaming systems, and the future is a bit uncertain. That said I do believe there's a chance LotR might go the way of Fantasy or 40K, it certainly has the potential.

I think the game has a fair old selection of models now, not the same quantity as WHFB but I certainly don't feel limited by the range.

Brother Drakist
01-05-2007, 00:57
I am in the same boat as machine. Apparently their was a club in my area that just did LOTR, but they haven't done much of anything lately. It seems that some of the gentlemen in the gaming club I joined have painted LOTR armies, but I am not too sure anyone has initiated any games. I am kinda shocked as it looks as if it is relatively cheap to assemble a 700 point force. In addition the game looks like it's really fun. I will most likely start an army, but for me the difficulty is in choosing an army.

revford
01-05-2007, 01:05
700pts is a huge army, I'd aim for 250 to 300 as a much better sized game.

A big battle is 500pts or more.

machine_recovered_meat
01-05-2007, 10:44
Excellent, thank you for your thoughts [especially revford].
Small type skirmishes are pretty much ideal - I'm thinking of looking for something which the woman might enjoy when we move in together [she's up for gaming generally, but I think 40k might be... a bridge too far, and we both dig LOTR because it's excellent] so it sounds like it's spot on.

I'll let you know when/if [mostly when i fear ;)] I pick it up.

Thanks again :)

revford
01-05-2007, 12:12
No worries, just let us know how you get on with it. :)

Brother Drakist
01-05-2007, 13:19
700pts is a huge army, I'd aim for 250 to 300 as a much better sized game.

A big battle is 500pts or more.

250 to 300 eh? That sounds even more doable. Thanks revford. I would ask about "starter armies" but I think I am just going to go with what I like. Would be nice to know how each army flows though. I am starting to get a feel for it from the stats in the LOTR book, and some of the armies listed in "Legions of Middle Earth." However a general list would be nice. I will do a search on the board for that information though. Thanks again for the info!