PDA

View Full Version : Quick answer on buying Rulebooks...

Ktotwf
01-05-2007, 03:09
I am looking to buy rulebooks for 40k and Fantasy off of E-BAY, and I see very few full hardback rulebooks for either, but many "pocket size" rulebooks that claim to be full editions of the respective rulebooks.

Is it okay to buy these and use them instead of the main rulebooks? Are they in fact the same thing, cause if they are that would save me some dough.

fracas
01-05-2007, 03:12
they are the rule book minus the fluff content

MechCommander
01-05-2007, 03:13
I am looking to buy rulebooks for 40k and Fantasy off of E-BAY, and I see very few full hardback rulebooks for either, but many "pocket size" rulebooks that claim to be full editions of the respective rulebooks.

Is it okay to buy these and use them instead of the main rulebooks? Are they in fact the same thing, cause if they are that would save me some dough.

If the book looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-40K-4th-edition-mini-Rulebook-complete-rules_W0QQitemZ330112909942QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3139 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, then it is the main rulebook sans the fluff and extra game variations. I am unaware of any mini-books for the army Codexes.

Edit: And how do I dress my links without resorting to HTML?

Minibull
01-05-2007, 03:18
they are the rule book minus the fluff content

I'm not sure about the WH Fantasy book, but the 40k mini-book has the exact same pages 1-83 as the full size rulebook (i.e. page 15 in the mini-book is simply a smaller version of the page 15 of the full size). You don't get the background material or scenarios or hobby information, but you do get the full game rules with them.

Flinch
01-05-2007, 03:20
The fantasy book has a few 'get you buy' rules from memory.. eg ethereal ghosts for Undead are T7 instead of T3 immune to mundane weapons...

Not sure at all about the 40k little black book...

Todosi
01-05-2007, 04:55
The simple answer for both games is yes, the mini books give you all the rules you need to play the game. The hardback books have more background and modelling stuff and the 40k hardback also has kill team rules. Those are the only real differences. The page numbers even match up!

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-05-2007, 08:18
The fantasy book has a few 'get you buy' rules from memory.. eg ethereal ghosts for Undead are T7 instead of T3 immune to mundane weapons...

Not sure at all about the 40k little black book...

Not true really. There is a summery of different troops in the back of the Warhammer rulebook thats just plain wrong, but else the rules are exactly the same as the big hardback version.

And the Ethereal rule was never in the rulebook anyway.