PDA

View Full Version : Oddball WYSIWYG question

mistformsquirrel
01-05-2007, 08:03
So, since I'm probably getting close to getting my first real start on my army. (At least I /think/ I am) - I'm starting to think about how I want to portray my main character.

The army is 'counts-as' (my own Marine Legion/Primarch; lotsa my own fluff, etc...) but in the end the main character is a female primarch (has to do with the 2 lost primarchs - won't go into it here >.>) who will use the Grey Knight Grand Master rules.

I have no problem modelling her in Termie armor, really...

But I was thinking that modeling her up in Power Armor would actually look more appropriate; and could be a little easier too >.<

So here's the question - Would it be OK if I modelled her in power armor, then said (to explain the stats) that she is wearing Artificer Armor and a Deflector Shield (errr, the wargear with the 5+ Inv save); even though for the purpose of the game she'd be considered in Terminator Armor (with all the bonuses and penalties that incurs)?

She'll be with a Retinue of Terminators, so there's no risk of me forgetting stuff like no Sweeping Advance and such...

But is that too much of a stretch to expect my opponents to accept?

She'll probably be one of the last models I do; since I want to get my painting down pat before I attempt it; but that's my basic idea for right now.

-- Oh, and while I'm here >.> (since I already created one thread today and don't want to clog the forums with my stuff) - Anyone know of a good female head with a haircut similar to the Sister's of Battle? (I don't like the SoB faces much; but I do like their hair. ... I'm a picky individual and I'm planning this out as much in advance as I can >.<; )

Thanks in advance >.> my appologies for any annoyance I may cause.

shabbadoo
01-05-2007, 08:52
First off you will have to use the Grey Knights army list instaed of the Space Amrine army list. Not sure if you plan on mixing the two using the Allies option in some way, bu there is lots to consider.

I wouldn't have a problem with the primarch being in artificer armor with a refractor filed to represent the bonuses from terminator armor. Best put her on a 40mm base too, just as a reminder that she used termintor rules in case she ends up running amok on her own. Plus, the larger base size allows for some interesting scenic base options.

Feor
01-05-2007, 12:14
Might I suggest the Mk... III armour, I think it was. It's the same mark the Servo-harness Techmarine wears, I believe. (though obviously those suits have been heavily modified for the techmarine's specific needs)

It was designed for close quarters fighting and ended up being the precursor to Terminator armour. So it's not unreasonable that it'd have much the same abilities and detriments.

the1stpip
01-05-2007, 12:19
As for the head, can I suggest Repanse de Lyonnesse, the Bretonnian special character (basically a Joan of Arc knockoff)...

the1stpip
01-05-2007, 12:20
For the record, how do you intend explaining a female Primarch?

My Chaos Marine Lord is female, but then she has the mark of Slaanesh, so that explains that away..?

Fathoym
01-05-2007, 12:24
Privateer Press also has some good models for conversion options, you should take a look at their gallery

Cirenivel
01-05-2007, 12:29
Why shouldn't she be a female?
I belive that there's no reason that females shouldn't fight in the 41st century. And infact they do, just look at certain IG and Eldar models.
And then, if the emperor decided he wanted a big happy family, then a family with only boys would be a problem, due to constant bickering and fighting.
And when all is said and done, who could say that they can understand what the emperor was thinking when he made the primarchs?

Cirenivel

paddyalexander
01-05-2007, 12:50
I don't see a problem, as long as you have it marked down on your army list & let your opponents know whats what.

Your background is your background, if you want to do a female primarch then go for it.

jfrazell
01-05-2007, 13:42
No problem whatsoever. You model is basically WYSIWYG in that configuration (I second the larger base as well). Go for it. Show pics.

Kymar
01-05-2007, 16:02
Shouldn't be a big problem, just don't forget that Termi armor is more then just 2+/5+, it allows move with heavy but doesn't allow sweeping advance.

WoW_Auron
01-05-2007, 16:06
So here's the question - Would it be OK if I modelled her in power armor, then said (to explain the stats) that she is wearing Artificer Armor and a Deflector Shield

Power armour, definately yes. Is there a specific Artificer set? I have no idea.
Shield yes too, but obviously display it. Take a Termie Stormshield or something.

I think WYSIWYG is quite casual, especially in friendly games. Just make sure your opponent knows whats what. All be cool, imo.

mistformsquirrel
01-05-2007, 16:10
For the record, how do you intend explaining a female Primarch?

My Chaos Marine Lord is female, but then she has the mark of Slaanesh, so that explains that away..?

Oh yeah <@_@> I have lots of fluff around the whole thing <'x'> I'll gladly explain it if you're interested; just didn't wanna waste anyone's time with it unless they are <,<m

Thanks for the help all btw ><b It's so funny - I've been interested in 40k for almost a year now, and I have yet to actually get the models I've wanted... but I'm glad to be drawing nearer to that.

Keep the great suggestions comming, it is very very much appreciated! >.<b

mistformsquirrel
01-05-2007, 16:17
Shouldn't be a big problem, just don't forget that Termi armor is more then just 2+/5+, it allows move with heavy but doesn't allow sweeping advance.

Yeah - I think one thing I'm going to do (if I can make it work - this assumes that in doing all my other models I get enough experience) - but I'd like to put a Psycannon over one shoulder.

The Techmarine harness someone mentioned is an interesting possibility... I'd not really thought about that before >.>

WoW_Auron
01-05-2007, 16:49
Oh yeah <@_@> I have lots of fluff around the whole thing <'x'> I'll gladly explain it if you're interested; just didn't wanna waste anyone's time with it unless they are <,<m

woah fella, thats a whole lot of weird internet face thingies right there!

Go on, explain it. Technically not the right place for it. But im sure it'l make for good reading. I for one am rather curious. :angel:

Lothar bubonicus
01-05-2007, 16:52

Thanks for the help all btw ><b It's so funny - I've been interested in 40k for almost a year now, and I have yet to actually get the models I've wanted... but I'm glad to be drawing nearer to that.

Keep the great suggestions comming, it is very very much appreciated! >.<b

Ever thought of posting in English instead of Cuneiform?

><b d ' [] #] ~ this crap makes no sense.

mistformsquirrel
01-05-2007, 18:34
woah fella, thats a whole lot of weird internet face thingies right there!

Go on, explain it. Technically not the right place for it. But im sure it'l make for good reading. I for one am rather curious. :angel:

Hehe, the faces have long been a signature of me <>.<>; When I write 'serious' things (such as the fluff I'm presenting below) - they disappear. But in general conversation <. .>; I just love em. >.> *weird person*

And Bubonicus - they make perfect sense /if/ you know what you're looking at; I'm gonna take it you are not a fan of anime <'x'> In which case, just ignore the faces. Consider it Xenos Horribilus script <,<;

**editted** - I removed the fluff. My writing, as of this particular moment, is not very good; and I don't want people to get a bad impression of me or my ideas. Watch the "40k Background" section if you're interested - in the next couple days I'll post something up there specifically about my background. I want to re-write alot of it though first. Sorry >.<

Lothar bubonicus
01-05-2007, 19:40
And Bubonicus - they make perfect sense /if/ you know what you're looking at; I'm gonna take it you are not a fan of anime <'x'> In which case, just ignore the faces. Consider it Xenos Horribilus script <,<;

Oh I see they are supposed to represent the odd facial expressions seen in anime. (actually I am a mini fan)
Now I know what you are getting at I kind of understand. Still think its a bit daft though. So I'll take your advice and ignore it, just dont come crying to me when the inquisition kick down the door of your hab unit ;) .

mistformsquirrel
01-05-2007, 19:54
Oh I see they are supposed to represent the odd facial expressions seen in anime. (actually I am a mini fan)
Now I know what you are getting at I kind of understand. Still think its a bit daft though. So I'll take your advice and ignore it, just dont come crying to me when the inquisition kick down the door of your hab unit ;) .

"B-but... Inquisitor... I'm just a fanboy!" <T_T> <,<; <'x'> Sorry. *hides*

Lancaster
02-05-2007, 00:02
<</\ >\/ \/\/>> <> \/\/\/ >>> /\\/

I wonder who can get the last cuneiform joke in before the mods arrive?

mistformsquirrel
02-05-2007, 00:06
<o.@> <-.->; <_ _>;

WoW_Auron
02-05-2007, 00:07
And Bubonicus - they make perfect sense /if/ you know what you're looking at; I'm gonna take it you are not a fan of anime <'x'>

Check my Avatar.. *cough*