PDA

View Full Version : Future of Army Lists

Rogal
02-05-2007, 03:41
I have seen a few folks upset about combat squads and this got me looking at all the codax's. I wonder if all current codaxes will now be redone to having units in multiples of 5. I ask this cause could this change the make up of forces, but more importantly, will this change most armies composition form a collectors point of view. I collect a little bit of everything and try to build 1000 to 2000 points of everything (granted ive been collecting for 20 years). Now I know most armies will always loose a few modles here and there from edition to edition, but could the current Eldar, Tau, and Nids army lists also get hit with this as well? My goal is to collect armies with the least amount of remodling to keep a force current as well as competive. Does anyone else see this as a problem? Again from a collecting units point of view, not as much play balance?

Templar Ben
02-05-2007, 03:57
I don't see why it would go beyond SM. IG troops (except for grenadiers storm toopers) are in 10 man squads. I could more likely see having squads come in multiples of whatever is in a box. So multiples of 8 for gaunts and so forth.

If you are just collecting and not worried about play I really can't see much of an issue.

cailus
02-05-2007, 04:01
I doubt they will restrict those armies. Marines have a specific background that has been ignored sicne 3rd edition. Tau, Eldar and Nids all fit into their background quite well.

Kiro
02-05-2007, 04:25
The only minor quibble I have is the traditional trio of Tau battlesuits, it should be bumped up to 4, since the Tau use a base-4 system, and this is already reflected in the common 12-Tau Firewarrior teams, I suppose that was merely an afterthought on the designer's part though.

AmKhaibitu
02-05-2007, 04:49
Do they really use a base 4 system where 10 base4 equals 5 in base10?

Iceheart2112
02-05-2007, 06:21
Its more along the lines of "They have 4 fingers, so their entire evolution has been brought up around that number". So unlike the metric system (base 10) they'd have a different system thats a base 8.

Griefbringer
02-05-2007, 07:58
So unlike the metric system (base 10) they'd have a different system thats a base 8.

Actually, base 10 is the decimal system, not metric system (which is a measurement system based on certain constants, and normally uses decimal system for expressing the values).

Use of base 8 number would be octal system.

Notice that humans have historically used also systems with other base numbers than 10 - eg. from the fingers in one hand you can derive a base 5 system, or by using all the fingers and toes you can get a base 20 system.

ancient_conflict
02-05-2007, 08:11
on the tau thing theres 4 lots of 3 (or 3 lots of 4) so the numbers are ok as you have lots of 3 rather than lots of four

Plus if they changed it i would have to get 3 more battlesuits

Onisuzume
02-05-2007, 11:10
Afaik; I doubt they'd limit armies other than imperial marines with that.
8-men khorne squads, fluffy!
5/10-men imperial marine squads, fluffy!

Armies like orks and 'nids couldn't care less about how many models are in a squad.
And afaik; 'nids already have multiples of 8.
Gaunt squads for example are 8-32 strong. (Genestealers ain't for balance reasons)

As for changing crisis teams to 4 strong: shall I bring the whine now or later? ^^

Egaeus
02-05-2007, 15:58
I agree with everyone else who's saying that it's highly unilikely.

I think it tends to be based more around the contents of the boxes. I thought I saw somewhere where it was talking about the fact that GW is attempting to make units playable "out of the box".

Sadly, this still makes Marines one of the most cost-effective armies unless GW decides to be nice and start putting more models into the boxes without raising prices. Yeah, like that's going to happen. :rolleyes: In fact, when they redid Genestealers they dropped it from 12 'Stealers to 8...so now you have to buy 3 boxes to get two full squads.

Kiro
02-05-2007, 16:22
I'm no mathematician, so I'll just quote Iceheart, as he said what I originally meant:

Its more along the lines of "They have 4 fingers, so their entire evolution has been brought up around that number"

As for changing crisis teams to 4 strong: shall I bring the whine now or later?

That's why I said it's a minor gripe ;)

Iceheart2112
02-05-2007, 20:13
Actually, base 10 is the decimal system, not metric system (which is a measurement system based on certain constants, and normally uses decimal system for expressing the values).

Oops...meh, I got my point across.

fwacho
03-05-2007, 11:26
i think the fives system will be found in more rigid armeis such as Space Marines and Gaurd... I doubt we'll see it in Chaos, orks, or anybody else. I would not be surprised to see a 2's system though.

CryoMax
03-05-2007, 23:45
Notice that humans have historically used also systems with other base numbers than 10 - eg. from the fingers in one hand you can derive a base 5 system, or by using all the fingers and toes you can get a base 20 system.

I can count to 31 in binary on one hand. ;)

Oh, that was off topic... Uh... umm... The base count you'd use counting on fingers would depend on when the culture figured out the concept of zero. If the Tau had four fingers, and new of the concept of zero early, they may count 0 (no fingers) then 1, 2, 3, and 4 fingers. Effectively, being base five (five values prior to the next digit. After "4" would be "10" (equaling 5 in our normal base 10 system). "12" in base five, then, would be 7. In base 4, it'd equal 6...

Oh, hmm, still kinda off topic... ORKS RULE! :)

...Paul

GreenDracoBob
04-05-2007, 01:22
Space Marines get the 5/10 option due to the Codex Astartes and game balance (now).

Imperial Guard get 5 for officers and 10 for Infantry Platoons because they are so regimented and so massive.

I don't think it will really expand out further, especially with the new "Rules based on fluff" thing GW has going for them. It doesn't make sense for most armies, and even units in Imperial Guard and Space Marines use different squad sizes.