PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Overwatch

ashc
02-05-2007, 11:04
As many of you are well aware, some time ago Wonderdog stepped up to the challenge of producing Warseer's new 40k-based ezine, Overwatch.

In that time due to unforeseen circumstances, Wonderdog is currently unable to fulfill the role of Editor for the magazine. This has been the state of affairs for just over a month and we have decided to take some action to get the Overwatch ball rolling once more.

I am taking over the role of Editor for Overwatch, at least until we hear once more from Wonderdog.

If you are interested in contributing to the new 40k ezine, then please don't hesitate to contact me via pm, or respond to this thread. If you were previously going to be contributing with Wonderdog then please contact me ASAP.

I'm hoping we can make this into a truly wonderful project for the 40k community.

many thanks

Ash

Voltaire
02-05-2007, 11:08
To further elaborate on this;

In my capacity as head of the Greater Overwatch project, it has become a necessity that progress be a constant. Wonderdogs contributions to this progress have been immense and were going full steam ahead before his disappearance into 'Missing in Action' status. It was not without a heavy heart that control of the Overwatch project was passed into the more than capable hands of Ashc.

To reiterate words already said; These magazines are run on contributions and while we do have regular people willing to contribute, it would be very nice to see some new face from around the forum sending us their stuff. You're all gamers and this is meant to be your magazine.

Furthermore, I look forward to seeing the Overwatch develop into a worthy magazine that picks up where Firebase left off and continues on the high standards which the Watchman is beginning to set.

- Voltaire

Kindred169
02-05-2007, 11:19
What kind of articles are you guys looking for? I'd be willing to write a few articles but I'm not sure what direction your trying to go with this.

-Kindred

ashc
02-05-2007, 11:22
Anything and everything at the moment - all potential articles are considered :)

Ash

Smokedog
02-05-2007, 11:54
I would like to see overwatch as a seperate magazine. Again, I think shorter issues would be key, (than sya firebase, for example).
The new format for watchman is very nice, I wonder if wonderdog left you a different template for Overwatch?

I again would be happy to help with overwatch. Communication seems to be the reason these magazines have issues, what is missing from overwatch before it is released?

His Master's Voice
02-05-2007, 12:00
Ashc, you've got a PM from me on the subject of cover and illustrations

ashc
02-05-2007, 12:03
Overwatch IS a separate magazine to Watchman; the only difference is that the two are working together, as opposed to when Watchman/Firebase were sort of at loggerheads with one another.

I am currently working from scratch with the magazine, so all contributions are considered.

Ash

@HMV, Thanks!

orangesm
02-05-2007, 13:48
Do you have the submissions for Issue 1 that were submitted to Wonderdog?

ashc
02-05-2007, 17:17
As i stated above, as it currently stands i require everyone who had previously submitted to Wonderdog to submit their work to me. Please contact me for my email address via pm. :)

Ash

Smokedog
04-05-2007, 16:46
Working from scratch?

I hope you mean just the layout, I mean I sure wonder dog has quite a few written articles etc..

Did he leave you guys anything?

ashc
04-05-2007, 17:25
No, unfortunately all contact with Wonderdog has ceased - including any articles of his own.

Ash

kortholaxthedamned
04-05-2007, 17:43
I know some immense painters who could showcase an army or two at the Bath store, PM me if you want me to talk to them about it

the1stpip
04-05-2007, 17:58
As anyone who has been contributing to Overwatch, considered submitting those articles for White Dwarf.

I have yet to read Overwatch yet (sorry!), but if it is to the standard I am led to believe, surely a number of these articles should be prime for WD submission, giving you fame (in certain circles) and an inner warmth knowing you helped to improve a failing magazine...

orangesm
04-05-2007, 19:04
WD will not publish my articles - plain and simple, they arent for the 'big' three, even if they did take submissions for articles (which they do not normally do - see discussion in Chapter Standard issue 1 on creating the Blazing Talons).

susu.exp
04-05-2007, 20:28
Ive got an article on "stathammer" that was turned down by firebase for being too technical. Im sure it can be improved by editorial for readability and would serve its purpose (explaining basic probability theory and how it is often used in the wrong way). If you want it (or at least want to consider it) drop me a line.

Hena
08-05-2007, 07:02
I would push it towards ashc. Why would a complexity be an issue? This is not WD :).

ashc
08-05-2007, 09:16
pm me about potential articles.

Ash

Smokedog
08-05-2007, 12:54
What program are you using to make the magazine? I Have found in wikipedia a free desktop publisher:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus

Is it compatible with what you are using?

ashc
08-05-2007, 13:08
Would depend; can its files be converted to PDFs?

Ash

Ninja Edit: Scratch that, I have downloaded it and i'm having a browse now - i can see that it makes PDFs.

Shadowseer Crofty
08-05-2007, 16:57
I PMed wonderdog with offers of fiction and he never got back to me. so Ash, consider yourself PMed

ashc
10-05-2007, 16:45
If any artists are looking at this then thats the next big thing im looking at.

Oh i know i have started a thread about it in Stories and Art, but just in case they come here first....

Ash

Smokedog
10-05-2007, 16:52
If it is compatible, I could try and lend a hand, if you need it. Pm me if you are interested.

orangesm
10-05-2007, 17:29
Cause ashc didnt put a link to that thread... here it is - link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83276).

So how is the progress?

ashc
10-05-2007, 18:24
oh thanks for the link orangesm; i was in a hurry and didnt have time to chase my post up.

Its going very well; i have issue 1s articles sorted, with a few bits safe for issue 2.

Ash