PDA

View Full Version : Magnets in Australia

Raj
02-05-2007, 23:49
Hey guys. I'm going to buy a dreadnought and a predator and I want to be able to switch around the weapons like I've seen some other people do. I was going to use magnets for this. My first question is whats the most cost-effective way of getting those neo-dymium magnets here in Australia because K/J magnets in the US charges $20 for the shipping when my order for magnets is only like $5. Also what sizes of magnets would be good for the vehicles?
Thanks guys
Raj

Avenger2040
03-05-2007, 00:41
Try ebay, search for earth magnents

Da Reddaneks
03-05-2007, 03:12
it wont work for you in australia anyway. The Coriolis effect reverses the polarity of magnets so that they only repel stuff when magnets made in the northern hemisphere are sent to australia.

Hellebore
03-05-2007, 03:16
Lol Da Reddaneks.

You can't use orky belief to reverse magnetic polarity - no matter how much you want too...

Hellebore

Biff Gunhed
03-05-2007, 03:18
There's an Australian store on eBay that sells them as well as other Games Workshop stuff:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/the-war-lord_Rare-Earth-Magnets_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6855354QQftidZ2QQtZ km

Clang
03-05-2007, 03:38
try http://www.aussiemagnets.com.au/

One_Second_of_Insanity
03-05-2007, 03:57
I got a whole heap of rare earth magnets from these guys at a good price

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

ctsteel
03-05-2007, 04:02
www.frenergy.com.au

I have purchased from this site a couple of times (they also sell through eBay) and I have been very satisfied with the quantity/quality of the magnets, the price, and the service.

Raj
03-05-2007, 04:27
Whoa thats a load of help. I'm leaning towards aussie magnets and Frenergy at the moment. I just don't know what size I need. What do you guys recommend for tanks and also what sizes would be good for normal infantry?
Thanks
Raj

Tyra_Nid
03-05-2007, 04:41
http://www.powermagnetstore.com/

This store is UK based, but shipping to Aus is quite cheap (a couple of pounds?), has a wide range and you can buy in bulk.

I would suggest 2mm x 1mm magnets for infantry, its small enough to find a readily available drill-bit.

Vehicles Im not sure, but probably around 3-5mm diameter would do fine.

One_Second_of_Insanity
03-05-2007, 06:24
just to let you know i got 300 magnets from kjmagnetics shipped from the us for the same price as aussiemagnets are selling 100.

i got 100 1mmx1mm (infantry)
100 2.5mmx1.5mm (most 40mm base models)
and 100 5mmx2mm (tanks and monstrous creatures)

or at least the rough sizes i got

Raj
03-05-2007, 07:52
just to let you know i got 300 magnets from kjmagnetics shipped from the us for the same price as aussiemagnets are selling 100.

i got 100 1mmx1mm (infantry)
100 2.5mmx1.5mm (most 40mm base models)
and 100 5mmx2mm (tanks and monstrous creatures)

or at least the rough sizes i got

Thats interesting. I don't understand how a US company can beat a company thats right here. Especially with the huge shipping cost. How long did it take for the magnets to arrive?
Thanks for the sizes.
Raj

Edit: What are those sizes in inches? I can't find any mm measurements on their sites

One_Second_of_Insanity
03-05-2007, 08:02
yeah i was surprised as well because i hadnt even heard of aussie magnets so had a look today when i saw it mentioned on this thread, i think the thing is that i bought qtys of 100 each which dropped the cost per unit a lot at kj. shipping wasnt an issue at all, it arrived in a box not much bigger than an australia post cd box and i think shipping took just over a week

Randallw
03-05-2007, 08:05
I think Aussie magnets are the ones I got my magnets from. I ordered some 3mm and 1.5 mm discs, which fit well when I used them for turrets and arms. I feel I must say that one of the really thin ones broke. I'm not saying it was the manufacturers fault. They were rather thin after all and the coating might not hold up under repeated blows as the magnet sticks to whatever metal gets too close. They only took a few days to get to me.

Edit: actually I haven't written off the broken bits. they're still quite powerful. They could be used for really small stuff like SM arms.

Mchagen
03-05-2007, 08:20
When I did my predator, I set up all the turret pieces and side hatches/sponsons with 1/8" x 1/8" cylinders. 1/8" also works well with most infantry.

Discs are probably fine to use as well.

With the dreadnought I'd go with either 1/4" cylinders or 1/4" x 1/8" discs. That will give you plenty of strength when you magnetize the torso and any arm pieces.

I've found that when you magnetize the torso it's great for destroyed results. You just remove the upper body and leave the legs and base.

ctsteel
03-05-2007, 08:52
I used 2mm by 1mm (N50) discs for smaller tasks (vehicle hatches, heavy bolter/multimelta attachment to top hatch/landspeeder marine hands etc

for slightly bigger jobs (sponsons, bottom of landspeeder etc) i got 6mm x 1.5mm (N45)

Both these sizes seem to fit well with the size of vehicle parts and model options - the smaller ones above can be drilled into models even to make for swappable arms etc. And as they are thin, you can embed them into the model without having a big lump showing between the pieces.

The other thing to be aware of is the strength rating of the magnet, expressed as a value like N50 or N45. Frenergy explains how this works on their site, I am guessing others do too. N50 is the strongest privately available you can get, and is incredibly strong for its size. There is not actually much difference between N45 and N50, something like 3% or whatever I can't remember.

All I can say is, the 6mm N45 ones I got are *strong* to the point where you are struggling to pull them apart quickly, they can attract each other from a fair distance too, perfect for attaching a flying vehicle to a flying stand, you can hold it upside down and it isn't going anywhere.

If you have a specific task in mind (say lots of the same kind of tank or such), figure out what kind of attachment you need and measure the size that you would want on the model. Then browse through the sites to find a shape/size that suits.

Raj
03-05-2007, 10:26
Well at the moment I've got my eye on 100 6mm*1.5mm for $20.50 including postage off ebay. I'll use these for my vehicles I guess. I don't think I will need any other magnets. You guys got any other suggestions for these size magnets?
Whats the best way to put them on?
Thanks
Raj

ctsteel
03-05-2007, 10:47
i use superglue - apply some to the model, push the magnet on, apply a little pressure til it holds then *important!* let it dry fully, before testing the other magnet out.

otherwise the other magnet will just pull it out of the superglue. Sometimes the glue doesn't seem to quite grip it well enough, so I've pretty much covered the whole magnet with a thin layer of glue to form a shell around it to hold it in place. trial and error really, I'm sure there are more experienced people out there than me

if you are putting the magnet on say a sponson and the hull, make sure you get the magnet polarity round the right way or they will repel each other. I have done this in the past by gluing one in, then when its ready to test, I place the other magnet on it, so they are stuck together, then mark the outer side with a pen or some paint. That way the non-painted side is the side that must face out toward the other magnet.

Raj
03-05-2007, 10:53
Is it easy to drill the hole with a pin vise for a magnet? I've ordered a decent pin vise set and it should arrive in awhile but I've never used one before. Do I have to apply force or will the plastic drill easy. Also can I use the pin vise for metal?
Thanks
Raj

PS: Totally off topic but whats all this dice business about? Theres this little thing saying display dice when I'm posting this and I'm totally clueless as to whats happening.

ctsteel
03-05-2007, 11:24
a pin vice is a great tool to have, drilling plastic is quite easy, once the head of the drill bit bites into the plastic it will pretty much guide itself in as you turn the vice, you just need to be careful not to drill in too far as you may go through the other side or damage some details.

drilling metal is a little harder ie it takes a bit more patience and a more forceful drilling action, to get the same hole as in plastic. If you have an old metal model that you aren't wanting, try an experimental drill into that, or under the soles of the feet on a model (which won't be seen when its on a base), or try drilling a hole through the slotta tab which likewise won't affect the model.

If you are planning to drill holes for the larger magnets you're buying, as they are 6mm wide the drill bit (assuming you have one that is 6mm) wouldn't fit in a pin vice. What you could do is drill a pilot hole with the pin vice, then use a different drill, or a rotary tool or something to bore out the rest of the hole (or just carve it out with a hobby knife).

I don't have much experience with doing that sort of drilling, a separate post in the modelling, painting and terrain forum here might yield better answers :)

the dice thing just shows a randomly rolled set of dice at the bottom of your post - I have yet to figure out what the point of it is though..... ;)

Raj
03-05-2007, 23:38
I think thats all I will need for now. I'll order the magnets when I actually have the cash to spend on a dreadnought and the set of magnets. Thanks guys, you were really helpful.
Raj

Randallw
04-05-2007, 03:29
The thin 1.5 mm magnets I got from Aussie Magnets have a small dot depression on one side to let you know which end is which.

opsidiannight
01-06-2007, 22:46
Cheap and efective, althrough a bit unpractical solution is to disasemble an old CD ROM. Next to the optical hed are two VERY strong magnets aproksimatly 2x3x5 mm, size may vary depending on the model. Its free, and all you need are old CD ROM-s.