PDA

View Full Version : Best Hero and Best Unit

karnn
04-05-2007, 10:27
Ok guys i want to know what you think is the best Hero in WFB and what you use on that choice to make it so deverstating, or just tell us what you think without any magic items.
And best unit in the game. Doesnt matter if its core or speical or rare just tell us the best

blurred
04-05-2007, 10:39
Way too hard to say what is best. Do you mean best statline, cost efficiency, model range or what? If its all the previous things added together I'd say that I really, really like the new orc boyz. Cheap, tough and pack a decent punch. Models aren't half bad either. Best hero would be the new warrior priests. Fluffy special abilities, versatile and nice models. But then again I play OnG and Empire so I'm a bit biased. ;)

EDIT: Oh. Read your post once more. You clearly mean effectiveness on the field. Anyway, I still stand behind my choices.

eleveninches
04-05-2007, 10:48
From my armies:

HEROES/LORDS:
HE prince (dragon, srmour of protection, bow of the seafarer)
HE lv4 Archmage (great eagle, book of hoeth)
Dragonslayer (master rune of smiting)
Necromancer (2 power stones)

CORE:
Thunderers/Quarrellers
Skinks
Chaos Chariots
Chaos Knights

SPECIAL:
Screamers
Dwarf cannon with rune of forging
Dwarf bolt thrower with rune of penetrating
Dwarf grudge thrrower with rune of accuracy
HE Chariots

RARE:
Great Eagles
Organ Gun
Black Coach

karnn
04-05-2007, 10:49
Yeah sorry, i mean Field effectiveness hehe.
oh and when i say heroes i mean lords as well lol but not special charcters.

Peronaly best unit is Chosen Knights of Khorne if used right. Character wise i'd say Chaos Lord or Oldblood

Vattendroppe
04-05-2007, 11:42
Field effectivness is quite easy calculated. The unit that is expensive and people still find it usefull for it's cost. Then it still matters of pretty much. Imagine a casket of souls in a battle of 20K with no terrain... THAT is efficient!

Fredrik
04-05-2007, 12:15
Depends on what his role on the battlefield is, is it to boost leadership, magic, or CC. For combat a khorne exalted with GW or healberd or simmilar is very cost effektive, but for combat magic effectivness he is of less use, where for instance orc or goblin shamans comes at low. So it all depends on the roll.

Ward.
04-05-2007, 12:39
I think that a fully ranked unit of 5 iron guts with full command and a done up tyrant could be a good contender for best unit, sounds like 20 ish Str7 attacks but expensive.

Badgertronic
04-05-2007, 12:49
10 grail knights with bret duelist duke and Bsb with virtue of duty.normal grail knights have warbanner which means +7 to combat res even before combat starts!

C-Coen
04-05-2007, 13:30
Hero:
Scar-Veteran + light armour + spawning of Quetzl + spawning of Sotek + Maiming Shield + sword of might = very much hight strengt attacks with a good save.
A Branchwraith also is good. Nice combat stats and a magician.
Unit:
I think Saurus Warriors are very effective, altough Skinks, of course, are also very good.

Reinnon
04-05-2007, 13:36
treeman ancient with annoyance of netlings.

simply fantastic lord

Sureshot05
04-05-2007, 13:39
Best hero or unit too army dependent to really get a good sense. For instance, I would never leave my Empire Great Cannon behind when playing as my Empire, but the value of artillery to my Night Goblins is nothing!

Similarly, I have a strong love of fanatics just for the horror on peoples faces when they see how many I've brought out on to the table, followed by the luaghter it brings when my Night goblin army runs off the table the next round from self inflicted casualties.

Rabbit_on_Rampage
04-05-2007, 15:09
Easily the best unit in the game is kitted out grail nights, bannner of the lady and blessings, I guarantee you when they get the charge (which they should) no unit will survive.

Finnigan2004
04-05-2007, 15:15
I'm going to vote for the lord of change for best character. It's hard to beat a spell casting, rank breaking, terror causing flyer. I'll vote for chosen khorne knights for best unit.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-05-2007, 15:27
Easily the best unit in the game is kitted out grail nights, bannner of the lady and blessings, I guarantee you when they get the charge (which they should) no unit will survive.

That doesn't make them the best unit tho. Would depend on how easy they are to counter, how much they cost etc.

Personally I wouldn't place them anyway near the best unit, but it's really to broad to be able to say anything about. And you can't even nominate anyone as 'the best' as it's all so dependent.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
04-05-2007, 17:29
hmmmm, best units... I'm sorry to say I dont know much out of my orcs, empire and dark elf range, so I'l stick to them.
best unit, black guard. great figs, WS5 S4 and get to reroll ALL missed attacks, stubborn, LD9 all for 16 points
I also love the manflayers. ok they're pretty pricy but they're also great figs. come with a noble who seriously knows how to kill. they shoot the hell out of everything that moves, and if they survive then they get chopped in half with poisoned great weapons. they rake in victory points like mad, can scout and so are brilliant to base your tactics around. they could eat my skin anyday!

best hero, probably the orc bosses. so powerful and so cheep.

E-Dog
04-05-2007, 17:36
Chosen knights of chaos,chaos lord, simply the best IMO:evilgrin:

MadJackMcJack
04-05-2007, 18:49
I'd have to say Grimgor, simply because between me and another O&G player around here, everyone craps their pants at the thought to taking him on. And I've only used him twice! (I converted the model and generally take him as a regular Black Orc Warboss).

Hrogoff the Destructor
04-05-2007, 18:53
Grimgor and the immortals hands down. Not only is Grimgor completely disgusting for his points, you also got a squad of Black Orcs with him that suffer from hatred. Considering Black Orcs are disgusting for their points too, you got yourself one evil squad. Take the banner of Waaagh (I think that's the right one anyway), and your sure to get the charge off on anyone.

There are teams out there that don't have anything to take the squad out in melee. It can single handedly chain through armies.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
04-05-2007, 19:00
Best hero: Dont really know this one
Best unit: Wild riders

black-francis
04-05-2007, 19:11
so far it has been nurgle minotaurs led by a nurgle doombull

Poomermon
04-05-2007, 19:21
Best hero: Jaguar saurus of doom. Fast, hits hard, can take (some) punishment and is reasonably cheap.

Best units: Pegasus knights and tomb scorpions. Is there an army that would not take these if it was possible?

gorenut
04-05-2007, 19:29
I think Empire has really great heroes and lords (mainly archlectors and warrior priests). They may not be the most powerful individually, but they have abilities that help the entire army. Plus they're relatively cheap and can be kitted out with wargear to help them combat most other armys' characters.

Onisuzume
04-05-2007, 19:43
Hero: Jaguar Saurus of Doom. Excellent warmachine/chariot hunter and it can tie up and kill small units of knights of the realm. (mine did it once, get off the charge and then it's stuck in combat for 5 rounds or so)

Unit: This is a hard one, though imo, the award goes to either the Knights of the White Wolf(Cult of Ulric since the empire list doesn't have it anymore) S5 on the charge like normal cavalry but with S4 when fighting otherwise. Make them inner circle and your opponent will fear it rightly.

The other contestant is, imo, the saurus warrior. Amazingly versatile. Problems with forests/woof-elves? Go blessed spawning of Huanchi. Problems with rivers? Tunki is the way to go. Need extra protection? Quetzl and Tepok can help there. Army running away? Tlazcotl to the rescue.

black-francis
04-05-2007, 19:55
praise should be given to the dogs of war characters. out side of the paymaster, the fighter characters are dirt cheap, expendable and versatile.

MarcoPollo
06-05-2007, 07:05
Best hero for effect -- is lord of slaanesh with bindings of slaanesh and rending sword on a chaos steed. It can hold up fully ranked units with nasty characters just by picking on the champion and racking up the overkill.

Best unit on its own -- salamanders (for now).

Best hero -- point value wise -- JSoD.

Best Unit/hero combination -- Superherd (8gor/15ungor) with two wargors of tzeetch. One with great weapon, one BSB-Vitriolic totem. Combine tactics for skirmishers, and a huge boost to mobility and you have a unit that can handle almost anything.

infernus31
06-05-2007, 09:59
Got to agree with the Saurs Scar veteran being one of the best hero choices point per point, so useful in so many situatiions (mostly smashing things up)

Troop wise I like Skinks so useful for such a cheap unit, or possibly Dwarf Warriors, armoured high toughness and leadership, just slow as heck!

druchii7
06-05-2007, 11:41
units?

treeman, grimgor's guard, jezzails, chaos chosen knigts

characters: grimgor, galrauch

Arhalien
06-05-2007, 11:44
Best-unit? High Elf Archers! :rolleyes:

;)

edit: on a serious note: (only had experience with HE so this may not be a great list)

Hero: Pretty much anything with Armour of the Gods; bsb with sword of might, or a prince with any of the magic weapons that actually make sense at s5 rather than s4.

Unit+hero : Thargrund's Hammerer unit of doom. Lod on shieldbearers in a 20 strong unit of hammerers. BSB with runes that double unit strength and cause fear. Next to a uit of longbeards so it can't be panicked. Add to this the fact that anything that is likely to hit it has been shot to pieces by insanely accurate cannons, thunderers and an organ gun... evil!

studderigdave
06-05-2007, 12:45
borgut facebeater is sick for a hero slot. i dont even play orcs and i was suprised by his stats and loadout.

right now im digging the HE commander on a hawk wit the reaver bow.

KingGato
07-05-2007, 02:44
Well, pound for pound Dryads seem to be a good candidate for most cost-effective unit at least. They are so good that being skirmishers, and therefore recieving the bonuses such a label entails, actually makes them a bit worse, as if they had the ability to rank up and gain static CR they would become as to death.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-05-2007, 09:30
Best unit?

For me its something that adds utility to an army rather than outright killing power. Most armies have somthing that'll kick ass for their points cost but few things equal warhounds at their task of getting killed or claiming table quarters. Their leadership is poor and they have no armour save but they're cheap and fast and almost guaranteed to die which can be a big plus in certain situations, afterall you don't want them hanging about for when the real fight starts and giving combat resolution away. You just have to keep them near to your general against the undead lest they scarper before combat even begins.

Failing all of that Giants for their sheer reliability in an orc and goblin army.

Best character?

This is tougher as there are myriad roles for characters. I don't always remember it when building my lists but probably the best use for a character is to cover the weaknesses of his unit or of the army in general. Following along those lines the best character I can think of is probably a black orc battle standard with heavy armour on a boar and bearing mork's spirit totem. He compensates for leadership, can knock heads together to quell animoisty and is no slouch in a fight and wont go down too easily if you're sensible. Not only all of that but he provides 3 dispel dice and boosts the waaagh potential of his unit.

Falcon
07-05-2007, 13:51
My experience is limited to Brets, Wood Elves and Lizzies, but here goes.

Hero's
As per my previous posting the Green Knight is a real menace for me. On equal grounds there is little that matches a Saurus Oldblood or Scar vet for versitality and dising out pain and suffering. It often gets underestimated as well.

My oponent also goes into cold sweats if he sees a treeman on the board, but that's probably more due to bad previous experience than true ability. It's also quite expensive.

Units
I have few solutions for a unit of grail knights, especially a charging unit of grail knights:eek: .

My salamanders, although very strong on paper, has been a bit fickle. They usually start by eating their skinks and then charging a unit and holding it up for a round or two. My Kroxs usually does a lot better but the real core of the army is the saurus.

The Dryads are quite good and solid but the guys that has most often disrupded my oponent's plans are stuborn eternal guard or wild riders.

vampires are cool!
07-05-2007, 15:05
My all-time favourits have to be kitted out grave guard with a vampire packing heat. Gotta love that...

SlaaneshSlave
08-05-2007, 02:26
Best unit has to be Chosen Chaos Knights of Slaanesh with Rapturous Standard. My preferred tactic with them is move in front of the enemy & them charge me. (It cuts down a turn of shooting.)

The only time it didn't work was against a treeman. So, maybe treeman wins best character?

Wickerman71
08-05-2007, 07:07
Best Lord = VC's Vampire Count "great fighter & magic caster in one nice package"; runner up, WE's Highborn "so many options, so many workable builds"

Best Hero = Skaven's Warlock Engineer "with kit the best hero level caster in the game as long as you don't role 1's"; Runner Up LM's Scar-Vet "decent killing machine for the points"

Best Core Unit = WE's Dryads "ward save, fear, skirmish & above normal combat stats for only 12pts a model"; Runner Up Skaven's Clan Rats "4+ AS in cc, Strength in Numbers, Weapon Teams & M5 5pts a model"

Best Special Unit = Empire's Great Cannon "painful & very effective in pairs nuff said"; Runner Up TK's Tomb Scorpion "very effective at what it does"

Best Rare Unit = LM's Salamander Hunting packs "when ever I see these I'm thankful that they are rare choices"; Runner Up VC's Banshee "Nasty in pairs"

StormCrow
08-05-2007, 11:07
Lord: Tomb king with destroyer and collar

Unit: Tomb guard with icon of rakaph for said king to join

They can take the pain and dish it out in equal measure, and when the fighting is all finished the odds are they'll still be standing. In my last game (vs bretonnians) this unit killed a BSB, the green knight (although he came back, grr), pegasus knights, grail knights, and plenty of peasantry. they pretty much single handedly kept my battle line together whilst i rained down skulls and souls upon the enemies of khemri.

Alathir
08-05-2007, 11:31
Lord: Loving the Bretonnian lords...especially virtue of mousillon plus silver lance...... 5 strength 6 attacks that automatically hit... ouch.

Unit: Grail Knights ... these guys need no babysitting and can excel without any assistance from characters.... plus, on the charge, they are the most devastating cavalry unit in the game.

The_Dark_Raven
08-05-2007, 12:50
Empire Captain with a always strikes first weapon attached to a Greatsword unit withh own i know from experience

in the same army a Empire General with full awesomeness with some Knights inner circle will blow the enemy butt out!

these two units will own when working to gether :D