PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Choose Your Army?

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 19:38
What is it that make's poeple to choose there army, is it the looks that excite them for some particular models or is it the whole army? Or is it that they really concentate and choose a wise army to battle with that has both good range and close combat attack's. Or is just the amazing range that pleases them or the exellent close combat attack's that pleases them. Why Did You Choose Your Army For?

The Song of Spears
04-05-2007, 19:42
Looks of the models, pure and simple.

I lurve my nids and eldar, and i have had a ton of fun converting my IW :D

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 19:45
So you collect nids and eldar, i collect chaos space marines and i was at this after school battle and there was a battle between nids and imperial guards. This battle was carried out with the 40 minute battle rules. Who do you think one? the nids or imperial's.

Looks of the models, pure and simple.

I lurve my nids and eldar, and i have had a ton of fun converting my IW :D

Blandman
04-05-2007, 20:06
Who do you think one?

Imperial Guard. Unless the person was a fool and moved. That, or some foul xenos trickery, for in an honest battle, no-one can defeat The Mighty Emperor's servants!

==Me==
04-05-2007, 20:10
I picked Dark Angels way back when I started, just because I liked the color green (I almost started Mentors instead :D). After reading through their background, I was hooked. Ever since then, DA have been ==My== go-to army. Other armies will look shiny and cool once in a while, but I always come back to the Unforgiven.

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 20:13
To let you know it was the imperial guards that moved. even though i helped this person out because he was newer than me, i put this machine guy right behind some scenrio but the gun and 1 person to see where he shooting left out while the other person is in a safe place. but he moved it so it was in direct range of the nids. So what happened they shoot the machine gunner down. But also he had 20 troops on the right and he moved them firectly in the middle of the boared and everyone said that was the most badest place to me but he felt like it was right and carried on. So while the troops were in the middle of the boared the nids just wiped them out instantly. And after that it was really a game of who is going to win because everyone already new who was going to win. So imperial guards must stay back and shot, they don't like to be moved or in close combat, well most of them, but for the nids they are just viscous creatures that want to feed of any type of bodies.:skull:

Imperial Guard. Unless the person was a fool and moved. That, or some foul xenos trickery, for in an honest battle, no-one can defeat The Mighty Emperor's servants!

Stella Cadente
04-05-2007, 20:14
I chose Dark angels, because of the look of the models, and the superior rules, thats about it really

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 20:15
Dark angels are pretty kl but i was wondering did you put your main colour as dark angels green?

I picked Dark Angels way back when I started, just because I liked the color green (I almost started Mentors instead :D). After reading through their background, I was hooked. Ever since then, DA have been ==My== go-to army. Other armies will look shiny and cool once in a while, but I always come back to the Unforgiven.

I don't collect Dark Angels, i collect chaos space marines but i was wondering are the dark angels and chaos are similiar. Is Dark angels more of range attack units or combat units or Both.

I chose Dark angels, because of the look of the models, and the superior rules, thats about it really

Blandman
04-05-2007, 20:22
See. Fool! You shouldn't move Guardsmen forward against Tyranids. That's like sending lambs to slaughter. Well...send lambs to a bigger slaughter, than they usually receive. Madness!

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 20:23
i did'nt move the imperial guards it was someone at the club and what you said to me is kinda what i said to him but he did'nt listen. are well he will get it soon or later!

See. Fool! You shouldn't move Guardsmen forward against Tyranids. That's like sending lambs to slaughter. Well...send lambs to a bigger slaughter, than they usually receive. Madness!

Getifa Ubazza
04-05-2007, 20:38
I originally collected Orks. It was the fluff that hooked me. I sold them after a while and got into lots of other armies. Im now back to collecting da boyz, but will be making a more themed army this time.

The Song of Spears
04-05-2007, 20:43
So you collect nids and eldar, i collect chaos space marines and i was at this after school battle and there was a battle between nids and imperial guards. This battle was carried out with the 40 minute battle rules. Who do you think one? the nids or imperial's.

Well... both armies could be pretty insane with the 40k in 40 min rules. I am going to guess IG as most nids players dont make good lists at that points level.

Who won?

EDIT:
Oh, oops, i finally caught up and refreshed the screen :P
congrats on giving the IG guy advice. Its good to see player help each other out.

Mr Hat
04-05-2007, 20:48
I like the Tau's manga style battlesuits. I'm also a big Armored Core 4 fan!

Slaaneshi Slave
04-05-2007, 21:02
To let you know it was the imperial guards that moved. even though i helped this person out because he was newer than me, i put this machine guy right behind some scenrio but the gun and 1 person to see where he shooting left out while the other person is in a safe place. but he moved it so it was in direct range of the nids. So what happened they shoot the machine gunner down. But also he had 20 troops on the right and he moved them firectly in the middle of the boared and everyone said that was the most badest place to me but he felt like it was right and carried on. So while the troops were in the middle of the boared the nids just wiped them out instantly. And after that it was really a game of who is going to win because everyone already new who was going to win. So imperial guards must stay back and shot, they don't like to be moved or in close combat, well most of them, but for the nids they are just viscous creatures that want to feed of any type of bodies.:skull:

Excuse me?

Bloody12th
04-05-2007, 21:06
I picked guard first because everyone else at the games club I was in used either Marines or Eldar, so I was looking for something a bit different.

I had considered buying Necrons, but I was threatened with the appearance of an armoured company if I did. :D

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:07
The tyranids had won. And as the imperial guard person is a newbie he totally got slaughtered. i tried to give him tips but he felt like he could win. So tryinds won and it wasn't really a battle the imperial guards seemed no longer to exsist.

Well... both armies could be pretty insane with the 40k in 40 min rules. I am going to guess IG as most nids players dont make good lists at that points level.

Who won?

EDIT:
Oh, oops, i finally caught up and refreshed the screen :P
congrats on giving the IG guy advice. Its good to see player help each other out.

This is battle that i saw today and i was explaining what happened at the battle between tyrinids and imperial guards.

Excuse me?

superknijn
04-05-2007, 21:11
Imperial Guard; they can deliver such a massive amount of ordnance that it isn't funny anymore. That, and I loved them in Dawn of War: Winter Assault. Really, it was that game that made me start Warhammer 40K. (although there, ofcourse, was some other things pushing me, like my love of science fiction, miniature modelling, and strategy and tactical games)

To be honest, my brother liked them more than I did; I wanted Tau or Black Templars (We're currently doing the second, and I'm secretely planning on the third), but he had this love for, well, 'overkill'. He's the guy that can really mess someones skull up, and always uses the side with the most artillery and special bombardment stuff in computer games.

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:12
Imperial Guards are just like humans basically, well they are. I think imperial guards are eally good with there heavy support. What do you think?

I picked guard first because everyone else at the games club I was in used either Marines or Eldar, so I was looking for something a bit different.

I had considered buying Necrons, but I was threatened with the appearance of an armoured company if I did. :D

Slaaneshi Slave
04-05-2007, 21:13
If I could give you a few words of advice, Peter...

You need to slow down with your posting. Read it through before you hit the Post button, and make sure it reads clearly and fluidly. Anywhere you would take a break or breath if you were reading it out, you need to use a comma or full stop.

Also, stop repeating yourself too, we all know the Imperial Guard made fundimental errors, and that you kindly tried to aid him (although I'm still not sure what you mean by the machine behind the wall, but oh well), it doesn't need repeating three times.

Posting for the sake of posting is never good either (take your above post for example).

EDIT: I'm not trying to come across as a snob, I am just trying to help people to make sence of your posts, as you seem to wish to communicate with the Warseerites!

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:22
Oh, sorry it's just that if i do my best at english on here, poeple may think i have gone offline or im not talking them, but yes i know what you mean, i will do my best to use commas and full stops. About the machine guy, there are 2 people on one model with the machine gun, if the whole model was directly out so it was in range of the nids, it would of been shot down, that's why i put the model behind the scenrio, but the gun still can shot down the nids.But when he started the battle he moved the model out so it is directly in sight of the nids. I hoped that explained it but i won't mention it again. By the way slaneeshi slave, you collect Chaos space marines, don't you?

You need to slow down with your posting. Read it through before you hit the Post button, and make sure it reads clearly and fluidly. Anywhere you would take a break or breath if you were reading it out, you need to use a comma or full stop.

Also, stop repeating yourself too, we all know the Imperial Guard made fundimental errors, and that you kindly tried to aid him (although I'm still not sure what you mean by the machine behind the wall, but oh well), it doesn't need repeating three times.

answer_is_42
04-05-2007, 21:24
I was eight at the time, and I guess I liked the look of the crapachans. 7 years later and i'm still doing guard. Never had a dull moment yet!

Posting for the sake of posting is never good either (take your above post for example).

EDIT: I'm not trying to come across as a snob, I am just trying to help people to make sence of your posts, as you seem to wish to communicate with the Warseerites!

I agree! Also, the red text hurts my eyes, and makes me want to skip the post.

spagunk
04-05-2007, 21:27
I chose Blood Angels because at the time (3rd ed) I didn't see any of them around and everyone else had guard/eldar/ork/Dark Eldar. Additionally, the tragedy of the Blood Angels appealed to me greatly...a once great benevolent(sp?) army that is slowly succumbing to a dark secret taint.

Slaaneshi Slave
04-05-2007, 21:27
Well I'm glad I didn't offend. :)

The thing with Guard Heavy Weapons Teams (I have 18 of them :p) is that even though they count as 2 models, they are on a single base, so if you can see one of them, you can see both.

I collect Chaos Hordes for WFB, not Chaos for 40k. I collect Imperial Guard, Space Marines (Red Scorpian and Scorpian (Death) Wing, and Sisters of Battle.

Karnage
04-05-2007, 21:30
I started with Tyranids in 2nd Edition, and basically got mauled every single game I played due to superior firepower. Getting a bit fed up of this I was beginning to contemplate getting a new army. Then I open up White Dwarf 196 (I believe, it was a while back) and see the Basilisk staring me in the face. I check the stats on the weaponry and the general look of the tank and I instantly think "Wow." A few weeks later, I throw down some money on one and it becomes the centrepiece of my fledgling Guard army (probably a bad move picking a tank as the first model but meh, I was young)

Fast forward to today, and the badly assembled (and now sadly mangled) Basilisk has had to be retired, but the army grows. :) I just love the amount of firepower the Guard can bring to bear....it's just like "Yeah, we're sitting here, bring it." before the enemy's troops fall under a hailstorm of fiery death :D

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:31
People i collect chaos space marines and i choosed them because they do look cool and they have a great range abilities and close combat avlilities is well. I have chosen undivided within the four gods, but the chapter's i have chosen is word bearers and khorne. The bloodthirster is the greater daemon of Khorne and this graeter demon is totally amazing, incredible in close combat. He also looks incredible is well with his mighty daemon whip and huge power axe. I like this army because they are good at both range and combat attacks, so when im in a battle i won't have a sticky situation. What i mean by sticky situation is that if i was amazing in range and i was in close combat, it will seem that i have lost but Chaos have both abilities of range and combat to make the posititoins of my army more wider. :angel:

answer_is_42
04-05-2007, 21:32
The thing with Guard Heavy Weapons Teams (I have 18 of them :p) is that even though they count as 2 models, they are on a single base, so if you can see one of them, you can see both.

You base them together? I don't, its easier to pack into case's and onto the battlefield:D. Plus, I think it looks silly.

onnotangu
04-05-2007, 21:35
I play a Hlaf life Mod called natrual selection which is a alien vs. marine style fps. and I really liked the aliens..so I started on Tyranids.

the orks, then Armoured company and and catachans....etc...

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:36
I thought you collected chaos space marines because in chaos you probably oviously know that slaneesh is one of the four groups of greater daemons? I was wondering you know warhammer fantasy, what is it exactly? And the red writing, i'll keep it while so you won't have to skip the writing or make it hurt your eyes.

Well I'm glad I didn't offend. :)

I collect Chaos Hordes for WFB, not Chaos for 40k. I collect Imperial Guard, Space Marines (Red Scorpian and Scorpian (Death) Wing, and Sisters of Battle.

Hrogoff the Destructor
04-05-2007, 21:37
It all started when my brother bought Dawn of War. My friend ended up playing it and became obssessed. He became so obssessed he went off and bought the battle for Maccrage, followed by a Space Marine army.

So one day my brother and I went to our local GW just to check it out. Well, we ended up buying a good sized army right then and there.

I first wanted to be Grey Knights, mainly because they looked badass, but my brother picked them up first. So, I decided to be my favorite team from Dawn of War, Chaos.

E-Dog
04-05-2007, 21:38
Iron Warriors, because I play chaos in fantasy I wanted to get away from the demons and paint/model something completely different.IW seemed perfect with all the bionic stuff. I am also loyal to chaos.

Slaaneshi Slave
04-05-2007, 21:40
Owning the old Realms of Chaos books, I know what Slaanesh is. ;)

WFB is the game which spawned 40k. It is a game of fantasy battles with rank and file troops, fighting with sword and spear instead of guns and tanks (although you do have guns and tanks, but thats another story). It is a lot more tactically challenging, and doesn't have an army with "Space Marine Syndrome". All in all I think the game system is better, but I prefer 40k, purely because of the background.

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:41
Well, just to let you know, if you don't know it, that guards are the only army that has the most tanks in the warhammer 40k game. That what is good about them but when it comes to units and close combat, you might some backup. By the way you did do the right choice, if you kept losing it is still good to keep on trying but if you want to make a new army that is totally fine. If your not so good in close combat trying using range, like your doing and i wish all the luck for you on the battles i hope you win most of them.

I started with Tyranids in 2nd Edition, and basically got mauled every single game I played due to superior firepower. Getting a bit fed up of this I was beginning to contemplate getting a new army. Then I open up White Dwarf 196 (I believe, it was a while back) and see the Basilisk staring me in the face. I check the stats on the weaponry and the general look of the tank and I instantly think "Wow." A few weeks later, I throw down some money on one and it becomes the centrepiece of my fledgling Guard army (probably a bad move picking a tank as the first model but meh, I was young)

Fast forward to today, and the badly assembled (and now sadly mangled) Basilisk has had to be retired, but the army grows. :) I just love the amount of firepower the Guard can bring to bear....it's just like "Yeah, we're sitting here, bring it." before the enemy's troops fall under a hailstorm of fiery death :D

Yes, same here, when i went to GW i looked around and tryied to see what would fit me best until chaos came along. They looked amazing and i knew it was the army for me. But what chapter are you collecting?

a) Khorne
b) Nurgle
c) slaneesh
d) Tzeentch.

It all started when my brother bought Dawn of War. My friend ended up playing it and became obssessed. He became so obssessed he went off and bought the battle for Maccrage, followed by a Space Marine army.

So one day my brother and I went to our local GW just to check it out. Well, we ended up buying a good sized army right then and there.

I first wanted to be Grey Knights, mainly because they looked badass, but my brother picked them up first. So, I decided to be my favorite team from Dawn of War, Chaos.

thelightbringer
04-05-2007, 21:45
I chose Ultramarines cause everyone didlikes them!!reminds me of a Millwall chant!! 'Everyone hates us and we dont care'

Slaaneshi Slave
04-05-2007, 21:47
Guard are the army with the potential of fielding the most armoured vehs, but I field 8 in my 1500 point Sisters of Battle mounted force. Not many Guard armies will field so many.

mortalpeter
04-05-2007, 21:48
Cool, now i know the difference, thank you for that i am going to tell my friend what the difference between warhammer 40k and warhammer fantasy is. but i have to go now sorry

Owning the old Realms of Chaos books, I know what Slaanesh is. ;)

WFB is the game which spawned 40k. It is a game of fantasy battles with rank and file troops, fighting with sword and spear instead of guns and tanks (although you do have guns and tanks, but thats another story). It is a lot more tactically challenging, and doesn't have an army with "Space Marine Syndrome". All in all I think the game system is better, but I prefer 40k, purely because of the background.

victorpofa
04-05-2007, 22:18
I chose Space Wolves because they could use a Leman Russ which I liked from Dawn of War. I also like the Space Viking theme and their preference for axes :)

After that I chose models I liked the looks of. I currently have 7 armies that I need to build. I am nearly done building 1500 points of Space Wolves, but only half are painted. Tomorrow I should have the rest primed, and need to concentrate on painting, but it has been so nice outside...:p

t-tauri
04-05-2007, 22:34
Cool, now i know the difference, thank you for that i am going to tell my friend what the difference between warhammer 40k and warhammer fantasy is. but i have to go now sorry
mortalpeter
The thread has three double posts by you in. Use the edit button if you want to add something else to a post.

Your posts repeat themselves and wander from one topic to the next. Warseer isn't msn or a chatroom. The point of threads is that they stay on something resembling the same topic. A thread on Warseer isn't your personal chatroom for you to carry on your own conversation.

Please stop posting like this or moderator action will follow.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

starlight
04-05-2007, 22:49
FUN

Why on earth *else* would we play with toy soldiers?:confused:

Damore
04-05-2007, 22:50
I picked Tyranids because of the looks. I have always like Aliens and the Zerg.

Farris
04-05-2007, 22:56
I chose chaos space marines simply because I've always liked beeing the evil guy!:evilgrin:

W0lf
04-05-2007, 23:33
I chose dark angels because i love the fluff and theme of them, i also like the look of them. (love the robes)

oh and in the new codex i love combat squads :D

Sinzaren
04-05-2007, 23:41
Well having just started to try and get back into the game, I've chosen to do something a little different. I'm gonna be doing a Black Templar force, mainly for the looks of them. But have decided to make it a little bit different by just using Sword Brethren. What my plan at the moment is is to use looks from the Templar Termies, but use the new Deathwing rules from the Dark Angels book. Hopefully it should all work out.

Sinz

Surgency
05-05-2007, 08:38
I originally chose my Tau for the look of the models and the background fluff. And no, i'm not a manga fan. I chose the Dark Angels because of the storyline, and how they're so secretive...

My WH/DH were picked cause I LOVE the models in both ranges...

My regular marines were actually a charity auction purchase... $600 went to Toys for Tots, and all the models and paints and time were donated by Iron Fist Gaming League, from VA .

Everything else has been impulsive stuff, really.

Captain Micha
05-05-2007, 13:59
I chose Tau for the look of the models. No I'm not an anime boy. I liked their tanks. So much cooler than those stupid childs toy of a tank the leman russ (looks wise not rules wise)

next up were my crons. I've been collecting them simultaneously!

fun is what got me my space marines.

Fun is why I still play. and for some reason I can't get enough of painting little plastic soldiers!

Venomizer
05-05-2007, 15:05
I chose Necrons because I love the look & play-style........now to get around to painting the things

Carcass
05-05-2007, 15:09
model range , playble army and very important : the ability to customize your army they way you want.
That's the reason i chose chaos and then tyranids.

Angelwing
05-05-2007, 15:27
I pick armies based on :
Do I like the models?
then:
How many other people collect them?
I tend to collect armies because they are unpopular, just to be different.
Of course, army popularity goes around in cycles. I had a full necron army at the original release, when all anyone else had was the free mini from white dwarf. When the current codex was released everyone and their grinx seemed to own some necrons.

Chaos_Bloodthirster
05-05-2007, 17:38
I chose chaos space marines because they have a whole range of types of models and they look cool

Coasty
05-05-2007, 18:21
Originally I picked Orks because they were brightly coloured and I hated the way GW human figures looked. After reading the Codex, I realised they were the best army in the game and never looked back! :D
I recently started on Beakies because the new Dressing-gown Angels were so pretty. I bought a box of five normal marines to use for colour scheme testing, but when I opened them up and saw what good models they were, I decided I needed a Beakie mob.

Montford981
05-05-2007, 20:35
Sisters of battle:

Because an entire army of intolerant, homicidal female pyromaniacs has got to be fun.

Ninners
05-05-2007, 20:40
Tau:
Little blue aliens that shoot little blue lasers? What more can you want...

Marines:
Versatile and tough, and very easy to convert

Lizardmen:
Big dinosaurs!

Ogres:
because they're ogres!

Naktul
05-05-2007, 21:21
In time I've done quite a few army changes. From first to last being. Lizardmen-Tyranids-Death Guard-Tau-Ogre Kingdoms-Loyalist Marines -Tyranids again (finally). Got a decent number of miniatures painted for each force but only really completed a good Death Guard army and a decently sized Ogre Warhost. Love changing painting challenges too much to really stick at one army.

I chose the death guard mainly because their tactics and fluff fitted my ideal army. Plus with 7 being my lucky number nurgle was an obvious transition. My love for them was reinvigorated by the brilliantly Nurglesque Daemon Prince.

My current army, Tyranids, caught my imagination as soon as they were redone for the 3rd edition (back when i was a wee nipper). What attracted me to them was the idea of a huge swarm working as one instead of as seperate companies running away when Archibald the squad's spotter is glanced by a bullet on the left shin (most likely a shot fired by the drunken guy at the back of the squad who's swaying like a palm tree in a typhoon).

Also contributing was the idea of them being utterly relentless with no thought for alliances or treaties. And now I'm getting back into them for the same reasons (took a few years away from hobby to get school and exams dealt with).

Metal_King
05-05-2007, 21:29
Well, speed and cover are synonymous with victory so I chose Nightlords. That and they're the only Legion that broke away for a reason, not just because some chaos hussies drugged up Horus. Oh, and because Raptors are my favorite 40k unit. I've never used 4...

Desert thunder
05-05-2007, 21:30
I chose ig becasue of there tanks and that they can size with almost everybody

Colonel Deal
05-05-2007, 21:57
I chose Orks as my first army in 2nd Ed, because I loved the background of them. Also I loved the models and the idea of painting them as individuals.

I chose Iron Warriors after reading Storm of Iron. I've always been a fan of sieges and I just loved the idea of creating a force of Iron Warriors storming the breach.

I chose Imperial Guard because of the vast possibilities that it offers. I've got two main IG forces which several others in the pipeline. So it offers me the chance to create background to my forces, convert and paint different looking forces.

pyroguy_93
05-05-2007, 21:58
Well, a friend of mine was sitting with me on a bus, and pulled out a white dwarf. Commenting on how much fun GW was, i took a shine to chaos. A while after getting a ridiculously big army of Black legion, I moved on to D angels, not sure why at the time, but I grew to like them and they are my mainstay army. I got good with both, built my angels to about 1500 points with the most disgustingly scary (now illegal) command squad known to man. I decided fantasy looked cool and liked the fluff of Dark Elves, then found out that d angels were due for a re-relase (about a month after I finished my original army, sigh). I got a bit tired of people in my store using warseer repeatedly to build disgusting armies, so I embarked on creating one of my own, a D eldar wych cult. Well, I'm doing it all female and with 4 models in all existence that fit such a description, I'm saving my cash for a massive order.

fusilero
06-05-2007, 00:40
The Black Templars, because they're like..Crusaders!
Just like the pre-heresy marines :D

The rules ain't brilliant though >.>

Asentaja
06-05-2007, 00:42
Dark Eldar 'cuz they are hard to play and sinister enough for my liking.

Griffin
06-05-2007, 00:58
First love ? - My Iyanden Eldar Craftworld. Undead Space elves Kick ass, its a simple equation - Elves are cool (pointy ears) + Undead (Boomstick!) + Space = Awesome. Jokes aside I live their fluff and strive to field my army as close to fluff as possible.

I allso play nids - because It's nice when your troops don't cost allmost 40 Points. I have a Variety of chaos space Marines of the Abaddon's Fist Legion (black legion scheme). I allso have had a Guard, Ork and ther forces. I'm starting a new army end of the month - either Guard or Raven wing.

Dragonlv8
06-05-2007, 04:05
I originally started Lord of the rings a year or so back and I had about one pack for half the armies then I decided on just going Rohan because my friend was doing Gondor.
Then my other friend got into it and we were going to have a huge battle Rohan and Gondor vs Mordor.

We never had the battle and the friend who collected Mordor started talking a little bit about 40k and I had just started playing Dawn of war.
The Mordor guy and me had a big fight over wich one of us collected Tau and he one and I ended up with Eldar and my other friend who had Gondor has Space marines.

Percinally I wish we kept playing Lord of the rings because atleast I rolled fair dice on that instead of me allways geting crap roles now lol.

Just kidding Eldar are awsome even if the dice hate me.

Brother-Hyuuga
06-05-2007, 18:43
I love rippy slashy hordes. If you have lots of cheap infantry, and like to hack and slash...its the army for me. Have tyranids, and am looking to start Kroot mercs, then probably orks should they ever receive a new codex.

lee
06-05-2007, 18:47
i picked my dark angels cuse i love the background of them

mistformsquirrel
06-05-2007, 19:04
Dawn of War got my interested in 40k...

But after I started looking into the real game, I got hooked on the Inquisition. Then the Sororitas (I love female warriors - I don't know WHY, but its just been something I've always liked <@.@> and no not for reasons of 'hawtness')

Well, I did tons and tons of reading, my fluff started to formulate itself...

And so now I'm dead set on using Counts-As rules to field my own primarch and her elite bodyguards <,< they count as grey knights.

<._.> So uhh... in my case, I let my fluff guide me. The fluff sorta building itself as I went.

The Judge
06-05-2007, 19:10
I started Vostroyans because they encapsulate 40K to me fully; sci-fi meets religion meets ancient archaic technology. That, and they're Russians, with tanks.

mistformsquirrel
06-05-2007, 19:11
they're Russians, with tanks.

<'x'> do you really need a better reason?

alex03
07-05-2007, 03:02
Being a gamer/builder/painter (enjoyment levels) I wanted an army that would be easy to paint, and have a smaller number of bodies. So when I asked my warhammer 40k playing friends what army to take, they said space marines.

The idea of guys in power armor smiting aliens apealed to me, so I went with it. Funny thing is one of those friends is an eldar player and now an avid marine hater (hate is a stong word, how about whines about them constantly?). Great. Sometimes I wished I had started a differnent army.

Cairnius
07-05-2007, 04:11
Because they came with BfM and after painting eleven Ultras I didn't want them to go to waste, so I kept building Ultras...

Meathook
07-05-2007, 04:20
I mainly got in to warhammer via fantasy not because of the game but because of the fluff. I really enjoyed the look of chaos and at the time a lot of the army books had great lil stories in them. So I would get the books just to read and that kinda of thing.

I never did get in to fantasy, but later on I got in to 40K and after reading a white dwarf that had a story about Kharn in it, I though the was the coolest mo fo to walk the Earth. So When I had a chance to start a 40 K chaos army with my friend I did. We picked up the mega force and split it. I got a pile of free stuff with it and I picked up Kharn. I picked my army based on fluff and how the models looked. I knew the World Eaters were good in close combat, but I didn't really know the rules. I know they can be shot to pieces, but the though of 100's of blood crazed genetically engineered maniacs plowing across a world war two battle field pretty much drove me right to Chaos and the World Eaters.

I know its a lil long winded and off topic, but in my opinion, forget the rules, forget everything, and just go what you think is cool. I did the same thing for the venerable dreadnought and now I'm working on a small Black Templar Force. I know they are both marines and I'm a noob (haven't played more then 5 games) but hey, its all bout how you see it in your head! It's like a cool little movie.

pizzashapes
07-05-2007, 06:31
I simply chose an army i thought had a cool theme... (CSM's) And i thought.. "if i were living 40000 years from now, what would i be?..." na mainly because i liked the idea of being able to summon demons to the table. thats cool.

mortalpeter
07-05-2007, 11:26
If you like collecting CSM and you like the way the army sends out daemons, you should choose word bearers ( my opinion ). they can have more daemons than any other army. By the way what colour do you like of CSM army's? I like red gore as main and chainmail as trim. It makes my army seem more Chaos That's why i partly choosed my army.

I simply chose an army i thought had a cool theme... (CSM's) And i thought.. "if i were living 40000 years from now, what would i be?..." na mainly because i liked the idea of being able to summon demons to the table. thats cool.

Arhalien
07-05-2007, 11:36
I chose Eldar because of the new Autarch models.

My army list currently doesn't include any of the new autarchs...

:rolleyes:

mortalpeter
07-05-2007, 12:00
Mate you are are going to get a warning because you just double-posted.

And you repeated the same thing over and over again.

mortalpeter
07-05-2007, 12:03
Yes, i know you choosed Eldar because of the new aurtarch models. I have not seen them yet but i am going to look at them and see what they look like. Is it just the autarch models that make you really intrested in your Eldar army?

I chose Eldar because of the new Autarch models.

My army list currently doesn't include any of the new autarchs...

:rolleyes:

Arhalien
07-05-2007, 12:08
Mate you are are going to get a warning because you just double-posted.

And you repeated the same thing over and over again.

I know; had a few internet problems while posting it. Sorry everyone, posts deleted.

edit: and no it wasn;t just the new Autarch models. I had been considering Eldar as an army for a while but had changed my mind. Then I saw the Autarchs on foot in the Sneak Peaks, and bang, mind changed (again).

I suppose it could be because I play High Elves for Fantasy and like some of the shared themes, or it could just be that I like the Eldar for some reason.
One of those things I can't really explain; the army just caught my imagination, and others didn't

Hope that makes sense. ;)

The_Dragon_Rising
07-05-2007, 12:14
Orks- my joke army,i felt i needed one
Marines- my starting army, easy to learn with and solid tactically
Eldar- my finesse(sp?) army, rewarding when they win

mortalpeter
07-05-2007, 12:16
Yeh i just checked about the new aurtarch's on game-workshop.com and they look pretty cool. But they won't change my mind from swaping my almight chaos to Eldar. Chaos are just the best to me.

mortalpeter
07-05-2007, 12:19
This will be good for you in battles, for having a alot of different army's because if another army could be your Eldar easily you can just change and use a diffrent army to beat him. But im am going to stick with my Chaos.

Orks- my joke army,i felt i needed one
Marines- my starting army, easy to learn with and solid tactically
Eldar- my finesse(sp?) army, rewarding when they win

ultimo
07-05-2007, 18:20
I haven't started yet, but i'm hoping to get into Witch Hunters because of the badass Inquisitor with retinue and Sisters of Battle <3

Grimlock
07-05-2007, 19:23
Just about to start an all warrior nids army (bar 2, 5 ripper swarms for troops) because shooting potential! (9 warriors with devourers = 36 shots a turn. yes please)

Brother Alecium
07-05-2007, 19:56
I came to the 40K universe almost eight years ago now. A buddy of mine knew I liked Battletech and Mechwarrior a lot and told me I had to come check out 40K with him. I went and watched my buddy play an army that had many Mechs(Dreadnoughts)in it. The Dreadnoughts pounded on a poor guard army for almost 3 rounds. After the game I asked him what army he played and he showed me what I needed to get started.

Since then I have expanded on my Marine armies and have begun to play Chaos again. I am going to start an Angels of Absolution army in the near future as well.

There are a few things about marines that are really big draws for me. The first one would have to be the look of them. The armor is just too cool to pass up. On top of it being extremely good in the games standards is a plus as well. Secondly, marines are everything any normal man would love to posess. Super human everything. Nuff said. Lastly, the fluff and the feel of the marines background.

nightgant98c
08-05-2007, 04:21
I picked Tau for the look and the railguns. I hardly knew anything about the game. I had only played a couple small games, and the Tau reminded me of the Robotech cartoons i used to watch.

pizzashapes
08-05-2007, 09:44
If you like collecting CSM and you like the way the army sends out daemons, you should choose word bearers ( my opinion ). they can have more daemons than any other army. By the way what colour do you like of CSM army's? I like red gore as main and chainmail as trim. It makes my army seem more Chaos That's why i partly choosed my army.

Yeah i did choose word bearers they fit the bill perfectly. Red gore is the colour i chose although i love to paint so ive gone into a little more detail than that. im working on a dark apostle now. i find it really hard to make the models look rough and worn though i must say... my CSM's look too pretty at the moment.

mortalpeter
09-05-2007, 16:24
There is a website called photobucket.com and you can store all your images of your army or inviduals e.t.c on there, and you can use that photobucket website you made to show poeple your army if you place the website of photobucket on warseer like i have in my signature. It will be great if you can have a look, there won't be much at the moment but im gradually building up. Also about your CSM, if you are doing dry brushing are you using blood red for the highlights? Word Bearers are amazing specially when they are joined forces woth Khorne. They will rule.:)

Yeah i did choose word bearers they fit the bill perfectly. Red gore is the colour i chose although i love to paint so ive gone into a little more detail than that. im working on a dark apostle now. i find it really hard to make the models look rough and worn though i must say... my CSM's look too pretty at the moment.

Neighbor Kid
09-05-2007, 16:29
I chose the Imperium cause i love tanks, the first model i saw was an old basilisk in my friends magazine. i love shellen the enemy to death and crushing em with my tanks =)

Curufew
09-05-2007, 16:35
I chose Tau because I like their idealogy

Gae'Mot
09-05-2007, 16:42
I began with necrons because of the looks, army list (pretty forgiving, as the bulk of the army will work against any opponent) and the evilness.

After that: Tau, because I finally noticed Forgeworld has some nice Battlesuits to replace the boring GW suits (I do like the new stealthsuits however), the fire warriors allready looked very nifty + I like shooty armies.

mortalpeter
09-05-2007, 17:05
I know this a part of the thread but when you talked about Necrons you made me remeber something. Is it true that necrons have become almost unbeatable because of the new rules?

I began with necrons because of the looks, army list (pretty forgiving, as the bulk of the army will work against any opponent) and the evilness.

After that: Tau, because I finally noticed Forgeworld has some nice Battlesuits to replace the boring GW suits (I do like the new stealthsuits however), the fire warriors allready looked very nifty + I like shooty armies.

Hooter Hunter
09-05-2007, 17:06
I started out playin WHFB and played Empire. So when I got into 40k IG was just a natural choice. The army I chose was the Praetorians because as a Confederate CW reenactor they had that certain Victorian look that I liked. It took me several years to finally make my army 100% Praetorian (including some tank commanders) but I finnaly have it done and a squad of rattlings to compliment them.

Now I am workin on an IG seige company that will be centered on a Bombard, 3 heavy mortars and 3 thudd guns. I am using Cadian plastic models for this and have even purchased some Necromunda weapons to do some minor converting so that each squad has a different pattern lasgun or auto gun, kinda gives them a been there done that feel.

I have the 3 heavy mortars , 2 of them being ripped out of the back of Griffons and one actually a FW model. My plan is to mount the Griffon mortars on a suitable sized railroad flatbed car and put tracks on the base so it looks as though they are rolling the guns into town on a trolley car rail or something like that. I already have the plastic cut for a splinter sheild to make it look like a CW or WWI rail gun.

I also like the IG because in a universe of genetic freaks, mold with an attitude, bugs, and pointy eared gits, its nice to know that the Imperium still relies on normal men and women to defend it with weapons that aint the strongest, just the most reliable.

Exterminatus
09-05-2007, 17:22
I play Thousand Sons cause they rock...... Love the models and love the fluff. RUles wise they are not the best, but the fluff more then makes up for that, plus I dont ahve the time to paint 100+ miniatures.

And Chaos rocks of course :D

Arhalien
09-05-2007, 17:26
I chose Tau because I like their idealogy

Communist! :p

Elcampbello
09-05-2007, 18:32
Tau: They were new and I was new
Imperial Guard: They're human, I'm human.

Kagek
09-05-2007, 18:52
Started with eldar cause I was given the Warhammer 40k 2nd ed box set when I was like 12 and I really didn't understand the rules or have anyone to play with but I painted all the orks and marines in there. Anyway, I remember looking at the Eldar models and thinking they were the coolest.

Started Necrons almost immdediately after that cause I think Eldar are hard for a player to learn with. Well they were for me. Too many unit choices and since I was like 17 when I finally started playing I didn't have a lot of cash to throw around. So I bought the necron boxed set and it was fun cause they were new and no one knew how to beat them so i won a couple games.

Started Ork Speed freeks a couple years later cause I love orks and I got smashed by them repeatedly in tournaments. I realized I had a love for close combat and anything that could get me to it faster. No amount of shooting can outweigh the feeling of the 45 dice plus 6 for warboss in your hand as your warboss and bodyguard jump into combat from 18 inches away. Then the disappointed look on your opponents face when you tell him his expensive terminators only get a 4+ save.

Tyranids I started after it became a tradition every year to start a new army at Kublacon. I went there and the guy who normally sells discounted WH 40k stuff said he wasn't allowed to sell his stuff cause the GW store was having a booth. So I went over to the GW store and noticed that they had a shiny new Tyranid army box. I sat there waiting for them to finish setting up and the guy noticed me. He came over and asked if I wanted anything. I bought the nid box and went up to my room to start assembling it. Nids quickly became my favorite army. I LOVE CARNIFEXES AND TYRANTS!

mortalpeter
09-05-2007, 19:50
Thx everybody for all explainations of your army's it shows alot to me, and just to let you know i have read alll of everybody's posts. As most of you know im undivided and i collect word bearers & Khorne, well here some pictures of what i have been up to latley on my ever first painted models. i hope you like them. Plus if anyone chooses an army and really like painting, get the codex is well even if you don't play table top because the pictures and advice in them on painting and what they like are incredible. This i have seen in my Chaos codex.

Now i would like to show you some of my models i hope you like them,thank you:

Started with eldar cause I was given the Warhammer 40k 2nd ed box set when I was like 12 and I really didn't understand the rules or have anyone to play with but I painted all the orks and marines in there. Anyway, I remember looking at the Eldar models and thinking they were the coolest.

Started Necrons almost immdediately after that cause I think Eldar are hard for a player to learn with. Well they were for me. Too many unit choices and since I was like 17 when I finally started playing I didn't have a lot of cash to throw around. So I bought the necron boxed set and it was fun cause they were new and no one knew how to beat them so i won a couple games.

Started Ork Speed freeks a couple years later cause I love orks and I got smashed by them repeatedly in tournaments. I realized I had a love for close combat and anything that could get me to it faster. No amount of shooting can outweigh the feeling of the 45 dice plus 6 for warboss in your hand as your warboss and bodyguard jump into combat from 18 inches away. Then the disappointed look on your opponents face when you tell him his expensive terminators only get a 4+ save.

Tyranids I started after it became a tradition every year to start a new army at Kublacon. I went there and the guy who normally sells discounted WH 40k stuff said he wasn't allowed to sell his stuff cause the GW store was having a booth. So I went over to the GW store and noticed that they had a shiny new Tyranid army box. I sat there waiting for them to finish setting up and the guy noticed me. He came over and asked if I wanted anything. I bought the nid box and went up to my room to start assembling it. Nids quickly became my favorite army. I LOVE CARNIFEXES AND TYRANTS!

Iron_Wolves
09-05-2007, 21:06
I first started with TAU then I moved to LATD with a Tzeentch flavor. Why LATD? Conversion baby,,,conversions is the key. So far I have converted 2 dreads and 2 landspeeders into living creatures with alot of other models.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v213/iron_wolves/

Hooter Hunter
09-05-2007, 21:23
Communist! :p

And the Imperium is a shining beacon of democracy? A golden Republic?:angel: ;) :D

Aelyn
09-05-2007, 21:26
I played Dark Angels for one basic reason - soon after starting to play 40K, my brother got me an Azrael figure for a birthday. I heard he was from the Dark Angels, so borrowed the Angels of Death codex from a (blood angels) mate to read the fluff. Loved the fluff, realised that they'd be perfectly suited to my typical tactical style, and played them uniquely until I took a break from 40K a few years ago.

Arhalien
09-05-2007, 21:32
And the Imperium is a shining beacon of democracy? A golden Republic?:angel: ;) :D

I never said anything about the Imperium, just the Tau :p

Hooter Hunter
09-05-2007, 21:38
I never said anything about the Imperium, just the Tau :p

Which proves you to be a loyal servant of Him on Earth!:D We all know that the Tau are just misguided Xenos who if they knew their place would beg the Imperium to cleanse them from the universe.:eek:

Arhalien
09-05-2007, 21:40
Which proves you to be a loyal servant of Him on Earth!:D We all know that the Tau are just misguided Xenos who if they knew their place would beg the Imperium to cleanse them from the universe.:eek:

Nah, I fundamentally disagree with the Imperium as a society and system. I like the Guard though :)

Hooter Hunter
09-05-2007, 21:43
Nah, I fundamentally disagree with the Imperium as a society and system. I like the Guard though :)

As would any sane person. The Imperium is basically a cold hearted facist system. As a gamer I know once said there are no "Good Guys" in 40k, and like you I like the IG. They do have the coolest tanks, and with FW the most to choose from.

Nurgles Chosen
09-05-2007, 21:51
At first i was drawn to chaos as it is as a whole, however upon closer inspection I find that the call of Father Nurgle is far to strong to resist.

I just love the Death Guard and all the fluff that goes along with them. I love how they are all really tough to kill and practically wade into battle firing their bolters. I enjoy all the rules they have and generally love the look of all the models. They are also super fun to convert since everything is all diseased and falling apart. I just wish they had some osrt of heavy weapon available like it shows in just about every picture of them.

The Damons that they employ are pretty sweet. The only thing I would change about them if I had the power would be to have some sort of cavalry. But just the same I love the way the just kinda cross the field and take almost anything that others can throw at them.

0ld1eye
09-05-2007, 21:53
eldar - awesome streamlined shapes
nids - I'm an Alien/zerg fan
daemonhunter - GK terminators *drool*
fantasy tzeentch - dunno why, really. I just wanted fantasy chaos. and I like tzeentch.
fantasy O+G - hilarious!
orks - hilarious!
vampire counts - well. zombies ftw. 'nuff said. plus I read that awesome battle report (necrarchs vs dwarves... bloody amazing necrarch force... wow. definitely an influence. anyone else remember that? wd...290? or something?)

new - death guard - I have many horde forces, so I wanted a small force that I could concentrate on painting up nicely

planned - skaven - after reading Skavenslayer, I see them in a new light. Like O+G, merely for the humourous background/gameplay

and I don't play any 'good' forces (DH doesn't count, I have far more radicals than puritans...) 'cos my bro flaunted his black templars in my face for a month when he beat me. ever since, I've hated empire/bretonnians/SMurfs etc cos of their holier-than-thou attitude. Not that I have anything against certain forces, the more sinister ones or humourous - LotD, WH, Imperial Engineers ;)

but I definitely choose fluff over model appearance, and model appearance over functionality on the board - and gut feeling over everything.

the balancedness of a list also affects me. I won't play an army if I think it'll give me an unfair advantage.

I've typed way too much. o1e out.