PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite matchup

Voltaire
04-05-2007, 23:51
While we all have preferences for which army we play, what type of player/army is your favoured opponent? What match leaves you feeling really exhilarated after you've played it or watched it?

One such incident of a good match happened recently where my invincible Chosen Chaos Knights with General charged a unit of Tomb Kings Chariots with Tomb King. In the challenge which followed the TK and th Lord fought to a draw but I lost combat by 2 points and failed my break test on double six. If I hadnt broke I would have probably won!

My preferred match to watch is the High Elves vs Dark Elves as they are so closely matched that tactics play as much a role as silly overpowered things.

What about you? and Why?

Gimp
05-05-2007, 00:09
I like the old foes battles.

High Elves vs Dark Elves

Orcs and Gobglins vs Dwarfs

Empire vs Vampire Counts/Chaos

Lander
05-05-2007, 00:12
Tome Kings vs Bretonnia

black-francis
05-05-2007, 00:36
Tome Kings vs Bretonnia
Are you the TK player? if so, do you ever win. I play TK against my friends bretonnians all the time, but I've yet to win a solid victory.

i like beastmen against the dwarfs.

Crazy Harborc
05-05-2007, 00:47
I prefer games that are low on magic casting toys, spells etc. Fortunately, four regular opponents feel the same as I.

We all have Empire, Dwarves, Orcs and Goblins, DEs, HEs. I've also got Brets, Chaos Warriors (no demons), the Woodies, VC and TKs.

I like Empire against, Empire, Dwarves, Elves (all 3 kinds), Orcs and Gobbos. When I push one of the other armies, I just slip that name in where Empire is at the head of the last sentence.;)

Martyr
05-05-2007, 00:57
Dwarves v. Chaos

It usually ends up down to a few points on who wins and who loses.

-Martyr

Lander
05-05-2007, 01:06
Are you the TK player? if so, do you ever win. I play TK against my friends bretonnians all the time, but I've yet to win a solid victory.

i like beastmen against the dwarfs.

I play Dwarfs I just think it would be a fun match Im aiming for a TK army when I finish me dwarfs. :cool:

Canadian_Khan
05-05-2007, 03:28
My Cultist against Dwarves is also pretty nice... Fast hard hitting infantry against slow, hard hitting, big toughness infantry + canons

Pretty even matchup

Lander
05-05-2007, 03:32
My Cultist against Dwarves is also pretty nice... Fast hard hitting infantry against slow, hard hitting, big toughness infantry + canons

Pretty even matchup

Cultist? Thats which list? Chaos?

Voltaire
05-05-2007, 03:32
The games I've played against dwarves were pretty close actually. It usually came down to whoevers character survived combat.

Canadian_Khan
05-05-2007, 03:39
Cultist? Thats which list? Chaos?

Cult of Ulric that is

Lander
05-05-2007, 04:10
Soc list is it still legal?

Lord_Byron
05-05-2007, 04:34
Any one of my armies, Ogres, Orcs, Vamps, Dark Elves, Chaos Dwarf....

Against...

Anything other than Wood Elves

Canadian_Khan
05-05-2007, 04:50
Depend where you live on the planet
But here in Canada, yes!

And my friends and I don't really agree with GW who ould want everyone to conform to there types of armies.

So yes, I do still play a Cult of Ulric Army, and I'm proud of it!
:cool:

Soc list is it still legal?

Voltaire
05-05-2007, 05:21
SoC lists can be played as long as the player wants to. His respective tournament might not allow it though. Thats not the issue at hand here though.

black-francis
05-05-2007, 06:06
Nurgle Boy and Sleazy Sethro will remember the endless winter campaign of the bretonnians versus the undead. Also the Dogs of War versus the Orcs.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
05-05-2007, 13:41
elfs against gobbos.
One game every unit on the field exept 5 glade gaurd and a unit of gobbo bowmen were fleeing.

ImperiusDominatus
05-05-2007, 17:59
My favorite battles are definitely when I'm playing my Dark Elves against High Elves.

Slaughtering all of those worthless Asur becomes much more enjoyable than killing those of the lesser races. Besides, even if I lose, I can still claim a moral victory if I manage to kill his General.

Some Muppet
05-05-2007, 22:43
i watched a khorne vs nechrarch (sp?) time limited match, think it was 3k points. very fun, as the khornate units were pwning the zombies in combat, but prety much every model they killed was being replaced by the vc player, either in the unit, or in new units. was a fun 4 hours...

Kirth
06-05-2007, 05:04
Vampire Counts vs. Empire. Empire guns blazing away while zombies rise from the ground all over the tabletop.

The most fun to watch when VC are dominating the magic phase.

Arhalien
06-05-2007, 11:36
I play High Elves. My answer to this is quite simple; not dwarves! or anything that has a more poweful book than me (everything ;))

ps. that last part wasn;t totally serious if you hadn't realised ;)

Gazak Blacktoof
06-05-2007, 12:08
Fighting anything that doesn't shut down my tomb kings magic phase completely.

They are my favourite army by far but can be totally boring to play on occasion.

C-Coen
06-05-2007, 12:39
I've never played or seen it, but I believe Wood Elves vs. Beasts of Chaos is very cool.

Also fun was a battle I played once with Lizards vs. Khornate Chaos.
A regiment of Chosen Chaos Khorn Knights with a very strong boss vs. a fully ranked unit of Sauri with an Oldblood. Both had 2 hands full of dice.. that really was fantastic.

Tutore
06-05-2007, 12:44
I love to play against: dwarves, vampire counts, bretonnia, lizardmen. Perhaps it all depends from the player, not the army.

The Underdog
06-05-2007, 13:55
I love a chance to settle the Ancestral Grudges - games against greenskins or Skaven are always great fun for my Dwarfs and the fact that these are hated enemies (fluff-wise) helps make the games much more fun.

Joewrightgm
06-05-2007, 14:42
I've never played or seen it, but I believe Wood Elves vs. Beasts of Chaos is very cool.

I had the pleasure of seeing that game played, OMG! From word 'go' both players were knee deep in brutal combats, shooting phases, chaos spawn chomping on archers, only to be beat up by forest spirits.

By the end, the margin of victory was only 100 or so points, a draw in favor of the Wood elf player.

Corai
06-05-2007, 14:45
I like to pit my ogres against vampire counts, TK's or other ogres. They lead to some of the most tactically challenging games.

It's always fun to chrage in a scare off some espescially timid thinlings though so goblins have their moments too!

thanks
corai

Franco
06-05-2007, 20:25
Mainly because my battles used to consist of these two armies, i would have to say O&G vs DE. You have the most stupid amy in history, with alot of units vs one of the smartest armies in WH. When you look at the stats of both teams you would only have one winner (DE), but when they get out on to battle, anything can happen. I don't know if it is just me, but every time i have played DE one of us is going home knowing that it was just one little mistake can cost the match. Another thing is that because i have built up a rivalry against my DE friend (good/bad rivalry) there is an added bit of nerves on the battlefield, just like when you are in a final or playing a derby match in sport. When i play dwarves, even though they are tough i don't have much pressure playing, but against DE both of us don't want to loose. Sometimes it comes down to the person your playing against which makes the game a war or an expedition!!!

ZeroTwentythree
07-05-2007, 16:08
I like fielding my skaven vs. OG, or skaven vs. skaven. When I've had those match-ups it's been big armies, a lot of action in every phase of the game, psychology plays a big part, rarely any single factor dominating the game.

Inquisitor_Pink
07-05-2007, 16:29
Dwarves v. Chaos

It usually ends up down to a few points on who wins and who loses.

-Martyr

Very true played many Dwarf vs Chaos games and the victory has always been down to the last few points.

E-Dog
07-05-2007, 20:04
Any game that goes back and forth, to me those are the fun ones. I also played a game where there was a challenge between my chaos lord and the white dwarf himself and was the focal point of the whole battle and went on for like 3 or 4 turns, nothing else seemed to matter, very cool IMO.

The Judge
07-05-2007, 20:07
I remember a campaign where I played against the same Dwarves for ten games in a row, and achieved a massacre every time with my Chaos. The poor Dwarf player has always been my equal before... I just had a ten-game lucky streak.

Of course, for a true matchup you want something more equal, and for that I remember my games with DE against HE. I've got a 50/50 win/loss record against them every time.

Crazy Harborc
07-05-2007, 20:27
My longtime, old fart opponents and I are in ruts, happy ones by choice.:) Right now, I'm pushing a 2500 Empire army. One old fart is pushing DEs, the other Orcs and Gobbos (a new army for him).

Next it's likely we will switch over to our WAB ruts for a few weeks on months. Experience has taught us we'll have more enjoyment from spending weeks pushing one army rather than a different one each week.

One of those old farts and I have been battling for 35 years now. I have several 30 plus years opponents. Wargaming is a lifetime hobby for us, not just a what's new (from GW) hobby.

lee
07-05-2007, 20:40
my most fun games where against my mate callums lizardmen . but i also like playing tomb kings

melgorth
07-05-2007, 21:11
My favourite match-up is my Vampire Counts against my friends Lizardmen. Each battle goes on for ages and results vary hugly each time we play. It's great fun!!

huitzilopochtli
07-05-2007, 23:20
Lizzys vs dwarves. i love loosing at first to their artillary fire and letting my opponant get cocky, before crushing them up close with cc troops and short range missiles!

Lizzys vs VCs is good too, but i always wipe the floor with them. maybe i just get lucky :evilgrin: lol! no i'm kidding. i actaully hate playin them. VCs are just really hard to beat with skinks.... :mad: o well. maybe i'll just get better luck next time! :D

MarcoPollo
08-05-2007, 03:51
I like to play a chaos MSU vs Bretonians. With all the lateral movement and baiters/flankers I can usually control the charges and counter charges.

Snapchuck
08-05-2007, 04:08
My horde skaven facing down my mates "gunline" orc army. 3 blocks of orcs and all the artillery he can field. Rocks raining down and pulverising skaven, bolt throwers ripping up units, my army reduced to less numbers than him when the combats start, it's great!

No wait, I hate that.

Cpt_NinjaPants
08-05-2007, 05:47
My woodies vs anyones beastman. It's like they were made for each other, and they KINDA were.

vampires are cool!
08-05-2007, 14:15
My VCs have a long standing rivalry with my freinds orcs. we've even baised several campaignes aroundf their hatered for each other. I love playing VC and Orc battles - their so much fun.
Alternativly i like VC (lead by Vlad) vs HoC (Lead by Archeon). Those two kick the **** out of each other.

blurred
08-05-2007, 15:21
Empire VS Greenskins

They are the first two army books to come out so they are usually pretty balanced against each other. Also, both armies rely on masses of troops backed with lots of small things that do this or that. Usually these are very tight and interesting games. :)

dneff23
09-05-2007, 06:24
My favorite match up is Night Goblins vs. Dwarves. The games are usually brutal with neither side wanting to budge. Hatred for everyone:)

Grudge Bearor
09-05-2007, 07:22
OMG not one of you guys said SKAVEN the always fun too watch expecily agenist OGERS

Finnigan2004
09-05-2007, 13:42
I've had three match ups this year between my khorne daemons and khorne mortals. It would be boring if it happened all the time, but once in a while it's fun to have two armies charge straight at one another and watch the carnage.