PDA

View Full Version : Ushabti Army?

Son of Makuta
05-05-2007, 21:30
Hi all.

I'm thinking of starting Warhammer, and based mostly on theme, conversions, coolness and the fact that I think most WH core troops look crap (sorry!) I want an ushabti Tomb Kings army. By this I mean a few horsemen and chariots to make up the Troo... uh, Core choices ;), and provide some flanking capacity, and then a bunch of Special choices, characters etc.

All characters would be converted as Ushabti models - is this ok?

I'm fully aware this would be a tough army to use, although thinking about it I can't really see why. Apart from vulnerability to certain things, an Ushabti unit hits just as hard as a Skeleton or Tomb Guard unit (often harder), and is better-looking by about a factor of 356,405%. :D

Could anyone explain, and offer any tips that might help me form this army into a viable one (not necessarily a permanent game-winner machine, but at least one that I can enjoy playing win-or-lose rather than be completely outclassed)?

Thanks all

Varath- Lord Impaler
06-05-2007, 03:44
units of 4 Ushabti, perhaps convert some to look like other Egyptian deities so they dont get boring.

I dunno, can you put your tombking on a larger base than he should be on?

Well your tomb king should take a Great Weapon (i'd avoid the Destroyer of Eternities, your larger base could make it a tad dodgy)

NightHaunter86
06-05-2007, 04:29
You could just give your Tomb King a body with four legs(thinking Sphinx, Crocidile, large cat) and have the torso of an Ushabti, he could then count as a Chariot.

Angelwing
06-05-2007, 04:38
rules wise, you cant mount your tomb king on a bigger base. You would have to ask for opponent permission.
Also, ushabti are points hungry. filling your special slots will leave the rest of the army quite small and vunerable. Having said all that, i think it would be a great themed army.
As to mounting up a tomb king on four legs, and counting him as a chariot, something like this?

Rhamag
06-05-2007, 05:19
It was the constructs (Ushabti/Scorpion/Giant & sorta Catapult) which drew me to the Tomb Kings in the first place, despite them having a rep as not being a beginner's army. I just love the models.

If you get really into your constructs, and can find someone to play you, check this out...

http://oz.games-workshop.com/news/oz/journal/assets/GiantWarriorsofKhemri.pdf

This guy's Sehenesmet is very tasty: http://chapterunapproved.tripod.com/tim/sehenesmet.html

I started a mini-thread about the army of Quatar, a long time ago, here:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=6140

Pekel
06-05-2007, 05:42
Fancy that... I'm also a 40k player who's only really interested in Fantasy because of the Ushabti. Guess we have good taste in models. ;)

I was wondering this exact same thing earlier tonight as I teetered on the edge of deciding whether or not to start Fantasy. So, anyone else have any advice utilizing an Ushabti-heavy army?

Varath- Lord Impaler
06-05-2007, 11:44
Hmmm i would really like to do that army of Quatar and model Sehenesmet as a Big big big Ushabti.

It would be a great army to play, have a bunch of Skellies each with their masters marching by their side.

Son of Makuta
07-05-2007, 20:40
Thanks for the responses all!

I've actually written special character rules for a leader for my army, called Sekhmet (no big imaginative names, but hey...) Apart from a neat weapon, his only difference from a normal Tomb King is that he forces all your characters to take an 'Ushabti Body' upgrade, basically turning them into Ushabti. He's worth about 350 points (I think). Obviously useless in a tourney setting, but would you play against him? (Note to self: must allow him to put in 0-2 Ushabs as core as well... no way am I paying for about 10 chariots all manned with crappy-looking skeletons...)

Other than that: I like the idea of the multi-legged one. I suppose I could use him as the Ushabti but put a couple of guardian beasts in front of him (or have him riding on a tomb scorpion, surfing style!) and count as a chariot. Thanks for that one guys, I didn't think of that.

Sehenesmet is a nice idea, although it's not so much the Giants I'm fussed on but the Ushabti themselves. And those catapults... (I've played a couple of games with my mate's Tomb Kings, and I've decided never to leave them out of any TK army, ever. I killed his general on turn one with one of 'em!)

As for the troops choices. The army will need a few fast attackers and flankers, not to mention something slightly cheaper than Ushabti while still capable of dishing out the pain, and giving them flank charges etc. Does anyone have good ideas for decent - while still costing about as much as the normal models, or less - conversions for chariots and horsemen? I've thought of using Tomb Scorpions for chariots, perhaps with more ushabti riding in them armed with smaller weapons (?) - that'll be expensive unless I can pick up something cheap on eBay. Any better ideas?

Thanks again all, I appreciate your help :D

P.S. Of course, my Bone Giants are going to look like massive Ushabti. Why not?

Son of Makuta
09-05-2007, 20:39
Oh and a note... My tomb king's not called Sekhmet, thank god, he's called the slightly more imaginative name of Semhotep. :)

Aladin_sane
25-06-2007, 20:16
Well if this is going to be your first warhammer army then its a tad ambitious. I mean you immediately want to alter an army list based on a home made special character. You wont have grounding to a proper warhammer army to play against opponents, which they may not even want to play against your augmented army, i think you should play tomb kings by they're army book, and have this as side project, because you already know that this army wouldn't be playable in a tourny. Further more, this army in my opinion wont be very effective, it would be slow and open to being blown to bits by gun fire and come combat, they will be disappearing if they don't hit home, or if already blown to bits. And if you then rely on liches healing your ushabti, if the rule of your special character makes all your heroes wear ushabti bodies the 5+ may be considered by other players as magic restriction. And it think the army would work out more expensive. But still as a side project, it could work out to be a very impressive and kool looking army.

mrtn
26-06-2007, 20:32
One idea is to make an Ushabti army that "counts as" a Doombull led Beasts of Chaos army. A Doombull (looking like an Ushabti tomb king or something, in this case ;)) makes minotaurs core troops, so you could make a minotaur army filled with ushabti instead. It shouldn't be too hard to proxy this kind of army; skeleton chariot = tuskgor chariot, carrion (on smaller bases IIRC) = furies, skeletons with hand weapons = gors with HW, skeletons with spears = ungors and so on.

Hope that helps, and isn't too late. :)

Iron Father
27-06-2007, 08:25
has anyone played the quatar army? how do peple react to it?

Lab Monkey
27-06-2007, 08:50
Or to make a unit of four ushabti "count as" a unit of skeleton warriors. Just make sure they have the same total size.

Screaming skull catapult = Ushabti hurling rocks
Bone giant = Giant Ushabti
Chariots = Sphinx (or mounted!) Ushabti

Nice!

Vomax
27-06-2007, 13:59
Doombull-led BoC army would let you field a lot of monsters, as would the vanilla OK list. Of course, you'd lose out on the TK special rules, but you wouldn't have to make up your own or use some of the unofficial ones.

Horus0001
27-06-2007, 16:25
You dont happen to go to a gaming club in edinburgh, 1 guy was telling me about ideas he had that were very similar to this

TheWarSmith
27-06-2007, 16:36
One idea is to make an Ushabti army that "counts as" a Doombull led Beasts of Chaos army. A Doombull (looking like an Ushabti tomb king or something, in this case ;)) makes minotaurs core troops, so you could make a minotaur army filled with ushabti instead. It shouldn't be too hard to proxy this kind of army; skeleton chariot = tuskgor chariot, carrion (on smaller bases IIRC) = furies, skeletons with hand weapons = gors with HW, skeletons with spears = ungors and so on.

Hope that helps, and isn't too late. :)

I support this idea. Make them Mark of Slaanesh to get the immune to psych. This woudl also make the army actually GOOD to play, where an all ushabti army would have real problems.

Carrion could use the rules for screamers.

Iron Father
01-07-2007, 06:05
i talked to one of the guys up at GW, as one of their employees fielded the Quatar army.

The employee I talked too said that the employee that ran the army never won with it. I dont know details on his list, but the employee i talked too said the army is relaly only good on the assault and falls on its face after the first turn of combat.

TheWarSmith
01-07-2007, 15:57
The problem is that the character you have to take costs around 600 points, and has no ward save or a mount to randomize shots to. And with him being all characters rolled into one, you can guarantee that he'll be the first one to be nailed by cannons, bolt throwers, and the like.

A 2k list looks something like:

Sehenesmet
2 Bone giants(i did 1 w/ 2 hand weapons, 1 w/ giant bow)
2 x 20 skeleton warriors(full command, shields, light armour)
2 x 4 Ushabti.

And that's it. I made a second list, getting rid of the skeleton warriors, as they're really not of functional use in this army.

Sehenesmet
3 bone giants(2 w/ 2 hand weapons, 1 w/ giant bow)
3 units of Ushabti(1 of 3, 2 of 4)

This second list seems better to me, as you aren't wasting points on static skeletons, and everything is a potential threat. Still, I dunno.

Craken
01-07-2007, 16:06
The Ushabti are essentially undead ogres, stat wize who take exta wounds for losing combat res, so I sugest fielding a battle standard bearer, so they use 2 less wounds from combat res. Field the minimum amount of skeletons for core. aka 2 groups of 10 in a 1000 pt. Don't upgrade them just leave them. Then make sure you have enough point for your minimum lords. You could always convert them to look like Anubus guys or something give them animal masks. Anyhoo than with the ramainded put in as many ushabati as possible and maybe even make them in bigger groups so your combat res is higher. These are my suggestions, although I am far from a pro.

Iron Father
01-07-2007, 17:13
My attempt at an army list was:

Sehenesmet
5 tomb Scorpions
4 Bone giants
1 SSC

of course, ive never played TK's, and at a special warband eevent, ive only fiedled a bone giant once, so my knowledge on the army is next to none, but a bunch of tunneling scorpions sound like fun.

Zealot
02-07-2007, 05:59
My attempt at an army list was:

Sehenesmet
5 tomb Scorpions
4 Bone giants
1 SSC

of course, ive never played TK's, and at a special warband eevent, ive only fiedled a bone giant once, so my knowledge on the army is next to none, but a bunch of tunneling scorpions sound like fun.

The topic is titled "Ushabti Army?" and what you have presented has exactly ZERO Ushabti in the list. If you wish to start a discussion about the Army of Quatar, please do so in a different thread.

Sorry for being a jack-donkey, but sometimes this sort of thing just gets me...

I think that your best bet would be using a Doombull lead Beasts of Chaos list with the Mark of Slaanesh, as TheWarSmith and mrtn suggested. That would allow you to field the most Ushabti possible while actually having a chance at being competitive, as well. I'd go for that.

Then again, if you are coming up with your own rules, etc, then go with that. The hobby is what you make of it, after all...

Rhamag
03-07-2007, 00:22
Without using counts-as, the regular list will let you take something like this for 2,000 pts. It does get you a lot of ushabti...

1 Tomb King (250)
1 Liche Priest (150)
2 Tomb Swarm (100)
10 Warriors (100)
10 Warriors (100)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)

(points are rounded for easy maths)

TheWarSmith
03-07-2007, 02:20
That's not a bad lookin' list.

Makarion
03-07-2007, 23:29
Without using counts-as, the regular list will let you take something like this for 2,000 pts. It does get you a lot of ushabti...

1 Tomb King (250)
1 Liche Priest (150)
2 Tomb Swarm (100)
10 Warriors (100)
10 Warriors (100)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)
5 Ushabti (325)

(points are rounded for easy maths)

If you want to use the King, you could even replace the warriors with 2 units of chariots. I'd probably use one Tomb Swarm unit, drop an Ushabti unit (I know...) and add a second Liche Priest, or BSB. Alternatively, a Prince instead of the King frees up some points for the BSB *and* the second LP.
Even if it's thematic, it still has to be fun to play, and that means you need your characters. Besides, the chariots rock if you get to move them twice, and a fair amount of healing would make Ushabti rock hard.

If you add the BSB, consider the Banner of Undying Legion on a unit of Ushabti. That's got to be a pain to take down by anything but a Seer Council (who kill you magic phase). Gunlines should not be an issue if you include 1-2 scorpions, but you may be fine with just chariots to charge into them. Dwarf gunlines could possible take it, though.