PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying more Black Library books...

Gammarah
06-05-2007, 01:03
I'm thinking about getting more BL stuff, but don't wanna waste my money. Can you folks at Warseer help me out here?

I've already read the Grey Knights books, which I liked, but I found Counter a little monotonous, the Heresy Books, everything by James Swallow, Lord of the Night, Fifteen Hours, and the awesome Cain novels. I read Dead Sky, Black Sun, and really liked that, should I order the Ultramarines Omnibus and the Iron Warriors books in the same series?

Execution Hour I heard was good, but I don't know much about it. Whats in it, and would you all recommended it? I read some of Dan Abnett, his Horus Heresy book and His Last Command, both of which I liked, but I've heard mixed reviews about the rest of his Gaunts Ghosts books, are there any more that I should get? I'm probably gonna get the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books too, which I've heard good things about.

What about the Space Wolves books? I read Wolfblade and liked it, should I spend my time on the others? I already know not to buy C.S Goto's novels, but are there any other suggestions?

Minister
06-05-2007, 01:32
Execution Hour is a personal favourate of mine. Imperial Navy, space combat and such (also boarding and planetside). Rather good, better than its sequel Shadow Point which is still worth getting.

I rather like the Ghosts books, though a few fluff botches niggle at me. Necropolis would be my personal choice for best. Very much in the style of Commando! and/or Sharpe. I still maintain the Cain novels are better, but that's mostly a matter of taste.

Abnet's Eisenhorn books are a departure from most of 40K, being mostly set well away from the main battlefields. they are rather good, especially if you have an interest in the Inquisition.

Do keep an eye out for Omnibus collections. They tend to save you significant pennies over buying individually.

Gammarah
06-05-2007, 02:01
Thanks for the reply, I'll order Execution Hour, Eisenhorn and Necropolis.

Tanner MIrabel
06-05-2007, 09:25
A good bet is the short story collection, Galaxy in Flames. A whole load of authors from all periods of GW history, a real mixed bag of stuff. Better to have the original books, but they're all out of print I imagine.

fracas
06-05-2007, 12:24
Execution Hour is good.

I also enjoy the Soul Drinker omnibus, and though Iron Storm was as well.

Mortare
06-05-2007, 12:34
Storm of Iron is v good, as are double eagle, the whole Ghosts series, eisenhorn series, space wolf series

Slaaneshi Slave
06-05-2007, 12:55
I'm reading the omnibus of the first three Guants Ghosts books at the moment, and I'm not too impressed. The first book was good, but I am on the second now, and it doesn't seem to have any story linking it to the first book, or even the chapters of this book together.

Eisenhorn, by the same author are brilliant books, I highly recommend them.

El Presedente
06-05-2007, 13:06
I think ghostmaker is a prequal to first and only but was released after it, thats why first and only comes first. I think.

Slaaneshi Slave
06-05-2007, 13:33
I had figured as much, but it doesn't say anywhere that it is. In the first book there are flashback chapters, and they are clearly marked, but not so with the second. All in all I think the first book was much better written. I am going to finish this Omnibus, but I am not going to buy the next until the second omnibus is out this autumn, unless the third book is a lot better.

The Judge
06-05-2007, 13:46
Trust us, Necropolis makes up for Ghostmaker. I struggle to get through it myself when I re-read the books, but Necropolis and all the ones after it are excellent.

Gammarah
06-05-2007, 18:41
I've read Double Eagle as well. So, I should get,

Eisenhorn Omnibus
Necropolis
Soul Drinker Omnibus
Storm of Iron
Execution Hour

Thanks guys, for all the replys.

Slaaneshi Slave
06-05-2007, 18:47
Necropolis is part of the Gaunts Ghosts series (book 3), so you should probably not buy that unless you are getting the first two as well (or just get the omnibus called The Founding, it has the first three books).

Gammarah
06-05-2007, 18:56
Will do. Thanks.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-05-2007, 19:01
I strongly reccomend Storm of Iron, a superb bit of writing.

Brother-Hyuuga
06-05-2007, 19:15
Storm of Iron is an excellent read. I just finished the Ultramarines Omnibus and thought it was good. Ive enjoyed the Space Wolf series as well. I still havent picked up the 5th one though. Another favorite was the Last Chancers omnibus.

Auru
06-05-2007, 19:58
Storm of Iron was an excellent read in my opinion, the Eisenhorn series though was fantastic in my eyes.. never lets up, and really goes into how grimy the inquisition really is.. and how different the beliefs of it's servants truely are.. and how far they will go to push there point :)

Sørensen
06-05-2007, 21:46
I have only read the eisenhorn triology, and they are excellent, specially if you have interrest in the inquisition plus you also find out about things that are not on a battlefield

logosloki
07-05-2007, 00:48
execution hour is a must for all BL readers, one of my favorites.

what is storm of iron about?

I read a BA graphic novel, that was alright. does anyone know if it is avaliable in novel form?

Light of the Emperor
07-05-2007, 01:09
One of my favorites is "Angels of Darkness" by Gav Thorpe. It offers a neat conspiracy theory and hints at so many different things.

I agree with all the other suggestions given so far.

If you want to go back in time and see how the background for 40K was like in the early 90s, then try to pick up the Inquisition War Trilogy. It's very different from today's canon, but it reveals some awesome info.

Minister
07-05-2007, 02:02
Ghostmaker, by the way, is not actually a novel, but rather a collection of the Gaunt's Ghosts stories previously published in Inferno before the first novel was commissioned. I would recommend reading them in order (and ignoring anything Abnet says about the Imperial Navy).

Gammarah
07-05-2007, 02:32
Heh, so nobody liked Storm of Iron then? :D

I'll definately pick that up, along with Ghostmaker, the Space Wolves books, and Eisenhorn.