PDA

View Full Version : Anyone win on turn 1

The Laughing God
06-05-2007, 14:31
I was wondering if anyone has ever won on the first turn of the game. If that is even possible.:angel:

If you have how did you do it and what army were you playing against?

-The Laughing God-

Overlord Krycis
06-05-2007, 14:36
Playing against Infantry-based Tau...with an all infiltrating Chaos Army.
The Tau player had set up his army about 4 inches from the table edge and I won first turn.
One shooting phase later and EVERY infantry squad had fallen back of the table and every vehicle had been destroyed.

Victory in LESS than one turn :D

Weirdboy
06-05-2007, 14:40
I don't know about "won" but I have had an oponnent concede after one round of shooting.

I was playing speed freeks against his all mechanized space marines. I got first turn and moved all my vehicles into firing position. Big shoota'ed a rhino or two, zzapp gun'ed a pred, rokkit buggy'ed a pred and a rhino, and my looted basilisk hit on time on target on his land raider and blew it to high heaven.

He didn't feel it was worth continuing as all his vehicles were destroyed and all his troops were entangled just waiting to get assaulted the following turn.

So not really a "win", but that's as close as I've ever come.

Sparda
06-05-2007, 16:03
Never happen to me, but I heard someone waas playing a second edition armored comp. with a titan, firstst turn, titan blew up, caused a chain reactin and blew up all other tanks.

chaos0xomega
06-05-2007, 16:06
My mate caused phase-out on an opposing necron army on turn one once. But he cheated, he used a russ heavy Armored Company list, and his opponent was dumb to take the Nightbringer AND a Monolith in a 1k point game...

Slaaneshi Slave
06-05-2007, 16:10
Not me, but I've heard stories about people pulling their enemies Necron Warriors through their own Monaliths, causing them to phase out with neither side firing a shot.

TheWarSmith
06-05-2007, 16:17
I've LOST on turn 1, if that counts(somebody obviously won).

Dark Eldar vs. nids(not current codex version). Playing on a narrow board(4' by 2.5')

2k vs. 2k.

All my stuff was so crammed together(so was his), that he lobbed up countless spore mines, landing hits on my raiders, which exploded on 6 on the ordnance table, and killed bunches of things around it(I believe about 12 warriors), and the incubi/drachon inside were dead.

Next biospore, guesses straight on, scatters just enough to hit the side of the raider and the side of a ravager. Both 6s on the ordnance table, massive explosions all around.

2 warrior squads run off the board in terror., and he took out 3 of my jetbikes(don't remember how)

At the end of his turn I had lost:
3 jetbikes
3 warrior squads
2 raiders
10 wyches
6 incubi
1 drachon
2 ravagers

So with all that dead, I'd say he won first turn. Granted, the size of the board gave him HUGE competitive advantage, and he later said "you should have spread out."

tau4ever
06-05-2007, 18:07
Well... I guess I've won a game on turn one, but only by a technicality. Me and my opponent had set the rules so that whenever one side had nothing left on the board, they lost. My opponent was stupid enough to play an all-deepstrike army except for 8 scouts and 3 bikes. My 2k of points I had on the board wiped those out, so I won.

Da Reddaneks
06-05-2007, 18:16
Shooty Orks vs Dark Eldar Wytch Cult

and

Dark Angels vs Dark Eldar Wytch Cult

Both games were exactly the same. The 7 squads Wytches in 7 raiders and there were three Ravengers. The non-dark eldar got first turn and used big shootas / heavy weapons to blow every raider and ravenger out fo the sky on turn one. The vehicles crashed, wytches had to take their 6+ armor saves and died in droves and were entangled. The surviving wytches were then shot to death by the remainder of the non-dark eldar army.

In both games there were a few dark eldar left after the top of turn one but the game was effectively over.

paddyalexander
06-05-2007, 18:20
I was playing as Tua against my friends Dark Eldar. He'd deployed his Raiders & Ravagers interspersed between his squads. I got first turn & managed to score 3 vehicle annialated results which cuased enough casualties in 5 units (can't rember exactly which ones, they were mostly warriors) to make them fall back off of the board.

With most of his army either destroyed, falling back or pinned we decided to restart. He deployed his vehicles behind cover this time and we ended up playing one of the best games I've ever had (it ended in a draw).

intellectawe
06-05-2007, 20:29
My friends kroot covered the entire table in such a way that his opponent's drop pod army couldn't deploy.

The Laughing God
06-05-2007, 20:38
Lots of amazing stories!:)

My friends kroot covered the entire table in such a way that his opponent's drop pod army couldn't deploy.

That just made me laugh so hard,:D

Ian Argent
06-05-2007, 21:25
(Not my) Dark Angels 7th Company all-infantry army vs Elysian Drop Troopers.

Turn 1, Half the Elysians drop in, and get massacred by massed bolter fire. Lather, rinse, repeat until out of reserves.

(Technically not a 1st turn kill, but...)

E-Arkham
06-05-2007, 22:55
2nd Edition, using strategy cards. Two words: Virus Outbreak.

Seen that card wipe out an ork army to the man once, and it often decimated eldar and guard. Of course, if you played 2nd and didn't automatically house-rule that card out of existance, you probably were regularly beaten by whiffleball bats on the way home.

Had some close ones due to the tyranid infestation "Jones is Acting Strangely," too. Heh.

Kep

marv335
06-05-2007, 23:31
I won against dark eldar in turn one once.
all that was deployed in turn one was a raider with archon+retinue.
one of the retinue had a warp portal.
i got first turn, (with a marine infantry army)
i took out the raider, then wiped out the retinue. the model carrying the portal didn't get a chance to drop the portal, I win.

cailus
07-05-2007, 00:08
Worst I've seen or experienced is Turn 3.

logosloki
07-05-2007, 00:24
This goes to show that the DE need some serious love in the rules tactics and sense departments.

I saw a first turn knockout but that was because we were opening a campaign where chaos, tau and necrons we invading. 1500vs400.

SilverWarlock
07-05-2007, 00:25
I had an opponent concede before turn 1

alaitoc under the old rules, I used the sabotage table against his nids in 1500 points, before first turn he had 1 dead tyrant and all synapses off the board. He conceded at that point, we hadnt even started turn 1.

Lion El Jason
07-05-2007, 00:32
In 3rd Ed I did, Land Raider Deathwing in Cleanse. I set up first and was 18" away from most of his army = Turn 1 assault on Plaguewing... I had more attacks and won easily in the assault phase.

marv335
07-05-2007, 00:55
This goes to show that the DE need some serious love in the rules tactics and sense departments.

I saw a first turn knockout but that was because we were opening a campaign where chaos, tau and necrons we invading. 1500vs400.

what this goes to show is that the player with the DE was an idiot.
the worst I have ever done against him is a turn 3 massacre (I massacred him)

I don't think he's ever won with them. He loves to take a massively expensive lord on a tricked out raider. full of very expensive incubi.
If the unit ever got into combat it'd be very nasty, however it never has.

Dribble Joy
07-05-2007, 03:46
Never any actual losses, but sufficient beatings from which one could not recover.

My army is very hit or miss, so all it can take to decide the out come is the dice off for first turn. If I loose it my transports are vaped and I can't really do anything untill turn 3.

TheWarSmith
07-05-2007, 04:45
While not a whole win on turn 1, i did have this experience.

2 dark eldar jetbike squads flew up to 2 landraiders(i went 2nd). They both managed to bust them open, and since all areas near the access points were surrounded, they couldn't deploy.

ReveredChaplainDrake
07-05-2007, 04:47
I haven't done it, but I've heard of an all-Noise-Marine army causing the opposing Necrons to Phase Out on Turn 1.

Allarion
07-05-2007, 04:55
2 dark eldar jetbike squads flew up to 2 landraiders(i went 2nd). They both managed to bust them open, and since all areas near the access points were surrounded, they couldn't deploy.

I LOVE doing that!
it's the best when it's a command squad too, 200 point commander model in terminator armour got killed when i did it, it was great

nooobie 69
07-05-2007, 10:07
I've seen someone loose twice on the 1st turn on the same day. He used 1000pts of word bearers and had a infiltrating lord with jump pack and other stuff. Also loads of deamons coming out of his lord. my friend who also played word bearers infiltrated raptors with meltaguns and instantly killed it because he had first turn and the person infiltrated asclose as he could.
Secound time the same kid played my friends iron warriors with 6 obliterators in 1kpts. The kid infiltrated again but got first turn this time. What did he do... he chrge 2 obliiterators killed none and got instantly killed by powerfists that game my friend didn't even get one turn but still won

don_mondo
07-05-2007, 10:55
Yep, my IG against Dark Eldar. He started with two units with the Warp Portals on the table. I go first, one wiped out, one under 50% and fleeing. Game over.

Ninners
07-05-2007, 11:17
I haven't personally won or lost on turn 1. However my friend set up all his Eldar in a corner (very tightly, don't ask why) he was playing an IG army. The IG player got first turn, fired with his ordnance russes, basalisks all that stuff. Killed the eldar avatar and farseer and made everyone else flee of the board because they had a rubbish ld!

Sabbad
07-05-2007, 11:27
Not sure if it was a turn 1 or turn 2 victory. My Alaitoc Ranger force against my bro's Orks, a Sabotage mission. Ork player only gets to deploy one or two units thanks to Ranger Disruption. Every single Gretchin sentry is shot in the head by Rangers firing silent sniper rifles. My entire army then advances until it's nearly within 2" of the Orks around the objective. I then start the game by shooting with everything I have, nearly wiping out my opponent's army in the process. I then have my turn one, decimate his army again, and walk onto the objective with ease.

Twas one of the most boring games of my wargaming career, and I never want to play a game like that again.

marv335
07-05-2007, 12:15
another one, although it wasn't a first turn win,
Grey Knight landraider crusader, Grand master+Retinue.
Vs
Vindicator.
I penetrate, and then roll a 6
opponent cries.
50% of his army dead with the first shot of the first turn.

smileyface
07-05-2007, 12:38
I saw a game once that didn't even make it to the first turn. Chaos vs Chaos. One side was all-infiltrating - alpha legion. The other side had one large unit of infiltrating cultists. The non-inflitrating army sets up to minimise infiltrating possibilities. Then there's a roll-off for first infiltration, and down go the cultists... in a very long line, neatly sealing off the entire board. Alpha Legion had nowhere to deploy.
I was amused.

Following that game the Alpha Legion army started deploying a unit of cultists on the table.

UreeL
07-05-2007, 12:55
I don't think you really can win a decent 40k game on turn 1. This means 1500 points on a 4x6 table and at least 25% terrain and a opponent who knows what he's doing.

Groksnag
07-05-2007, 13:13
Ive LOST on turn 2 before. Lets just say that learning about World Eater khorne beserkers in the middle of a game is a very bad thing to do. especially when you've never played againt Chaos before (I still hear the laughter to this day). by end of turn his turn 2, all that was left of 90 Orks was an immobilized weaponless WarTrakk. we both said the game was over.

vampires are cool!
07-05-2007, 13:28
In the old days when an undaed general was killed his army would crumble straight away. One cannon shot and all i was looking at was dust...

TheWarSmith
07-05-2007, 13:43
There you're talkin' fantasy, which is much harder to win first turn, but still possible(kill the beastman general anybody?)

Anubis_the_Harlie
07-05-2007, 13:53
I won a 1k point game 1st turn with my DE agains mech IG (I went 2nd too!), I raced up my reavers and raiders, blocked the acess points on the Chimeras then proceeded to pop each chimera in turn with dark lances or haywire grenades, needless to say we re-started, and he formed a gunline...

Keichi246
07-05-2007, 17:08
I don't think you really can win a decent 40k game on turn 1. This means 1500 points on a 4x6 table and at least 25% terrain and a opponent who knows what he's doing.

Ah - but you've added some qualifications there already. Mainly the opponent who knows what he's doing....

And it also depends on where/what type of terrain is placed. And Luck is a principle actor as well.

Me - I've gotten one with an 1850 Armored Company versus Necrons. Terrain was mostly LOS blocking Area terrain in the center - but with a 4x6 table - you can almost always find SOME angle to shoot a target if the range of the gun is long enough.

Neither side knew what the other was bringing, and the Armored company was rolled at random from the six "OpFors" available. His army was designed as the classic "Stay close to the Lord" Necron Phalanx.

Seven pie plates, and assorted other fire blew him clean off the table before he got a turn. It was painful... We imddiately reset and played with a different OpFor.

Then again - I've also been the recipient of a One Turn pounding myself...

Eldar versus Gunline Tau (3rd edition).
I deployed into OK-ish cover with most of my forces. He went first. Mind War on the Etherial. Dead. Brightlances skewered my vehicles. Many, many, scatterlaser shots inflicted hideous casualties on the forces not in cover.

When it came to morale rolls - I had the most amazingly bad luck. Almost everybody ran. On my turn - I had exactly 2 units left on the battlefield. A man alone Crisis suit and my Shas'O with 1 wound left. And of course the man alone failed...

That was the last time my Ethereal went on the battlefield. The rematch with nearly idenitical forces (without the Ethereal) went much better - I lasted until Turn 5 before being blown off the board. :D (my experiences with Eldar vs Tau in 3rd ed tended to end in Tau bloodbaths.)

Karloth Valois
07-05-2007, 17:25
Baring extreme matchups (e.g. guard with 3 basilisks versus pure grey knights) if games you're playing are over by the end of turn one you're not using enough terrain or deploying really badly, plain and simple. I've seen games be practically over in the first few turns, but not on turn one.

I guess play style has something to do with it though. I ALWAYS deploy with the assumption my opponent gets first turn and most of the people I play with do the same. My group generally doesn't powergame more for fun so perhaps this is why I haven't seen any first turn victories but to me something has gotta be seriously up if games are over on the first turn.

Rpait
07-05-2007, 19:29
I did once, thee griffons with infernus shells versus necrons. Infernus shells force enough crons off the table to cause phase out on turn one.

EVIL INC
07-05-2007, 23:15
I used to play a 2nd edition space puppy opponant. He would put cyclones onto 4 rhinos and have them each unload thier full load at reguler spots in his opponant's deployment zone so that virtually every inch of deployment area was covered. He rarely won first turn but if he got the first turn he could make the result a foregone conclusion just with those 4 rhinos.

Icarus
07-05-2007, 23:48
sadly I've lost in one turn. However to be fair it was a CJ list Harlequin army and I was playing away at a club that had NO terrain :wtf:. The guy rolled first turn and promptly heavy boltered my elite superheroes to death. :cries:

Master Bait
07-05-2007, 23:49
I used to play a 2nd edition space puppy opponant. He would put cyclones onto 4 rhinos and have them each unload thier full load at reguler spots in his opponant's deployment zone so that virtually every inch of deployment area was covered. He rarely won first turn but if he got the first turn he could make the result a foregone conclusion just with those 4 rhinos.

that'd be fun to pull out once or twice, i never got the chance to see what would happen unloading a full cyclone missile barrage. 6" radius str 8 blast oooooo :eek:

Bunnahabhain
08-05-2007, 01:04
The mega cyclone barrage never existed, except when people mis-read the rules. Biggest blast going in 2nd ed was 6" diameter, not 6" radius. Still big though, and mainly found on Guard tanks...

Master Bait
08-05-2007, 01:44
yeah, i just pwned myself, the old wargear book DOES say its diameter not radius, so a full salvo only uses the 3" blast template.

still a juicy weapon though...

thedreadpirate
08-05-2007, 04:33
Like someone else that posted, I once won using the old Altioc disruption tables in a 1000 point game. For fun, I maxed the number of Rangers/Pathfinders in my list, and when I rolled 11 times on the list, almost every squad in my friend's Tau list started in reserve. The rest were shot and subsequently pinned. I got first turn, blew up his Hammerhead with a lucky Wraithlord shot and massacred his few remaining models with my assorted snipers. I felt terrible afterward.

elusiveintrovert
08-05-2007, 05:52
I once won a 1250 point game against tau on a 4x6 board. He got first turn and moved his pathfinders up w/ scout and fired marker lights. My turn rolled around and my vindicator fired first at the pathfinders and scattered into the center of his gunline and offed his ethereal. His entire army rand of the board save his pathfinders+transport, and hammerhead, which I finished off in the same turn. It was some bad luck on his part.