PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting an Eldar army. Thoughts?

Perfect Organism
06-05-2007, 16:59
This is kind of a combination of painting, rules and fluff, so I'm putting it here. I've posted almost identical threads to a couple of other forums to get a range of opinions, so if you read all the same forums as I do, you might catch it a couple of times...

I still haven't finished my Tau, but inevitably I've been thinking about what other armies I fancy trying out. Eldar seem like a good bet, since they seem to work in small numbers, have some very good looking models and, having read through the new codex, I like their rules.

However, I'm undecided on what kind of army I want to put together. There are three themes which appeal to me at the moment:

The Saim-Hann jetbike swarm, with a feudal Japanese theme. Classic red and white colours, lots of really fast units with plenty of close assault options and vehicles.

The Ranger force. Painted in orange, yellow and brown. Lots of rangers with various other sneaky options like striking scorpions for support. Plenty of opportunities to make really nice bases, which I have found a taste for recently.

The technogoth army. Shiny black costumes with white, purple and bright pink details. Harlequins, banshees, dark reapers and wraithlords could all work well with this theme.

The miniatures I'm especially keen on are the wraithlord, warwalkers, falcons and wave serpents, jetbikes, vypers, striking scorpions, fire dragons and harlequins but the entire range look pretty nice to me and there isn't really anything there which I really want to avoid on the basis of looks.

I would however like to avoid a couple of things which seem all too common for Eldar: metal miniatures and skimmer bases. Unfortunately, all of my army concepts seem to require large amount of one or the other. I'd also like to try something which plays a bit differently from mechanised Tau, so shoot and scoot tactics would be considered a downside.

Given that, what kind of Eldar army list would you suggest? Do any of those three themes strike you as especially fun or make you shake your head in despair?

Galley
06-05-2007, 18:23
In my opinion, Eldar aren't an army you want to base around groups of troops. I'd honestly just pick a color scheme, paint your aspect warriors the appropriate colors, and start to collect. Fill it in at your own pace, and mix and match for various strategies to your heart's content. The codex gives you alot of hot swap options for troop, HQ, elite and HS options, so sticking to a group really just limits you.

Dr.Clock
06-05-2007, 18:52
I personally have found no problem basing my army around 'groups' of troops. The trick is that if you take two of something, make sure you then take one of sometyhing else that will compensate for the weakness of the other units.

I take two units of scorpions and a unit of Warp spiders to compensate for their lack of speed and AT ability.

I take two vypers and a unit of DA in a serpent to add a tougher mobile all-rounder unit.

I take two reaper units and a unit of banshees in a serpent to act as interceptors.

I take four guardian units to support everyone.

All your ideas are feasible. I'd say pick your favourite specialized infantry unit and then take two of them and a unit that directly supports them on the field. The way the codex is set up, this will inform each choice you take thereafter and help you to create a thematic and usable army. If you pick two units and take two of each and a support for each pair, the rest of the army usually follows directly. Three pairs of units with three units in support IS an army.

For instance:

Saim Hann: Two jetbike squadrons and a unit of shining spears
Two guardian squads in serpents and banshees in a serpent
Two vypers and a unit of DA in a serpent

ranger force: 2x2 rangers and 2xscorpions for infiltrating
2xDA in serpents with banshees in serpent for line-breaking

technogoth: 2x2guardians and a 2x harlies to hold flanks
2xreapers and a wraithlord for the centre

add hq to taste.

Any eldar army with too much variety becomes a generalist army.It becomes unwieldy as your specialized units run into each other if they have no clear plan. The army, like the troops it contains, should be pretty specialized. Dividing up into 'operational units' of three or more units each is the way to play.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Ravenous
06-05-2007, 19:01
Really the only thing I can suggest for anyone starting eldar is just figure out what you are like/comfortable with and just stick with it.

For me I have always liked rangers and pathfinders over the other troop choices just because I used to run alaitoc back in 3rd. Each can be just as useful as the others.

As far as the army goes everything works you just have to play it out to figure out what would be most suited for your play style.

In other words proxie it until you got what you want. Do yourself the favour and proxy before you buy!

Galley
06-05-2007, 20:45
What's the point of building an eldar army if you're just going to limit it to narrow setups? The eldar are a challenging army, take the opportunity to be flexable and learn different strategies.

Black Templars fan
27-05-2007, 17:48
DO them they are so awsome

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 17:51
Why bring back a thread with no replies for three weeks, for a pointless post which adds nothing to the thread?

ImperialFist18
27-05-2007, 18:15
Since the thread is back in business, I will add that I went onto the GW site and did the eldar interactive painter. I found that regal blue and golden yellow eldar look amazing. I think they are a good army in terms of actually fighting but like every army they have their weaknesses.

Slaaneshi Slave
27-05-2007, 18:19
Blue bodies and yellow heads? They are Alaitoc.

Or do you mean yellow bodies and blue heads? They are Iyanden.

ImperialFist18
27-05-2007, 18:21
no it's like a combination of the two, mainly blue bodies and patches of they're armour in yellow.

Vesica
27-05-2007, 20:24
I say go for the ranger force, rangers sule