PDA

View Full Version : Rogue 7's Samurai Castle: Guaranteed Fresh Daily!

Rogue 7
15-05-2007, 20:42
Before I begin, I must categorically state that lilljonas's Nipponese project log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69188&page=11) was undoubtedly the inspiration for this project.

So here's the rundown. In my english class, instead of a final, we do a massive senior project that can be about anything we want. I wanted to learn about feudal Japan, particularly the Tokugawa era, since I knew next to nothing about it. Well, we needed a physical project, and I didn't want to be the ***** with a powerpoint presentation, so thinking about what I could do, I remembered Lilljonas's thread, and lo and behold, the castle was born. After browsing Wikipedia, I decided that the castle Matsumoto-jo, in Nagaon if I remember correctly, would be the basis for my project. So, to make a long story short, I'm presenting next friday, which means that I have to be working almost daily to get this thing done. So without further ado, let's begin.
http://www.iqc.ca/~dstebila/pictures/2006/japan/photos/Matsumoto_jo_Castle.jpg
There's Matsumoto-jo. It's a fairly simple design, barring how tall it is, so it should be a good basis.

After a late-night run to the craft store out on Rt. 22, I picked up some styrofoam for the rocky foundation, some foamboard (I think) for the walls plus a larger piece for the base, some balsa for detail work, some paints and brushes, and a good, sharp exacto knife.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r172/XV8Fireknife/Supplies.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r172/XV8Fireknife/CastlePrelim.jpg
That's the base plus the beginnings of the stone foundation. I traced out a design that kinda mimics Matsumoto-jo castle layout, and cut the base out of styrofoam. I'm going to have a second level of styrofoam, and possibly a third, and slant downwards to create the sloping effect of Japanese foundations.

So it begins...

Warboss Grimmtoof
16-05-2007, 02:54
And I will watch with much interest...:D How are you going to do the rock base? Are you gonna carve rocks into the foam, or will you press rocks in and glue them in?

Rogue 7
16-05-2007, 12:33
Carve then paint. I've got the basic first-level walls done, and sloped the styrofoam, but nothing photo-worthy. I'll just rub my nose to the grindstone today between school, Karate, and Lost.

Rogue 7
20-05-2007, 16:52
OK, so I lied. Real Life, as always, intervened-a physics day field trip to six flags, finally getting a prom date only to find out they've sold out of tickets, and hanging with friends so as not to kill myself from stress. I did a marathon, 3 A.M. session last night and I'm going to be doing similar today. I do have photo-worthy updates, but I'll get to them later.

the Wulfen
21-05-2007, 21:47
Cool! more japanese Castles, we want pictures ;) All these methods sound rather time consuming to carve out the rocks manually, or glue them in. Would be nice to see how fast this goes. Fighto! :)

Rogue 7
23-05-2007, 12:55
OK, so I lied....again. I admit it, I won't have any pictures until this thing's finished (Thursday night if I'm not dead). However, it doesn't look too bad- I've got the base painted, the roof on for most of it, and added a second level for a tower section. Now, I need to add detailing for the roof(most likely strips of carboard), and finish painting the wood details to match the castle. Paint the base blue, and think up a presentation. All that, and I've got 2 days to do it!

Ross
23-05-2007, 13:19
Bah, show us some WIP!! :) That way we know where to join things to make cheap imitations !! ;)

the Wulfen
23-05-2007, 16:41
Wow, two days left! I can understand the lack of pictures now (and sleep I guess) ;) Making something with such an short timespan must be stressing. Keep up the good work do (can never have too many samurai projects), and ofcourse good luck with the presentation! :D

DigitsDavid
23-05-2007, 17:53
DAMN YOU!!!!!!
I was trying to avoid this subject because I need to build a Samurai Castle at some point to compliment my recent Jon Jenkins purchases and Perry miniatures! Now It's going to start playing on me until I just know I'm going to cave in and start one myself!!!!!!!

Have you seen this resin castle, only 250 euros!!

http://www.atlanticajuegos.com/detalleArticulos.asp?IDArticulo=5913

It is expensive but is very nice and very inspirational for modellers.

Best of luck with this, I'll be watching intently.

Rogue 7
24-05-2007, 13:05
Yeah, I reckon it's about 90% done now. By the end of every night my back is killing me, plus I missed the season finale of Lost last night. On the plus side, I did find a tux for prom. Final assembly is complete, barring detail work on the roof (maybe 1/3 done). I finally figured out a way to get something that at least LOOKS like Japanese tile roofs- individual strips of ceral box cardboard, glued 2 deep so that it doesn't look like a planked roof, and spaced slightly apart. Tedious as hell, but looks decent. All that's left is to finish that, paint it, clean up the paint I slopped on last night, and highlight the balsa edging. Then, I have to paint the base blue or something resembling water... plus there's this powerpoint presentation I'm supposed to have done for tomorrow that I haven't even started, and here I am slacking off on Warseer...

@DigitsDavid- Mine's been very simple to make, but because I've had to compress building it into such a short time, it seems difficult. Only materials used are foamboard, styrofoam(rock base), balsa, and cereal cardboard, plus paint. The upshot is that it can be mind-numbingly tedious, but not too hard to do. Good luck with yours.

Wolf Scout Ewan
24-05-2007, 17:53
Here is some more resin scenery... just in case u want some ideas... John Jenkins (http://www.johnjenkinsdesigns.com/28mmBuildings.htm)

Rogue 7
26-05-2007, 01:56
So, after several monster 3 A.M. sessions, I finished the damn thing and presented it today. Went over pretty well. Unfortunately the camera only had enough battery life for me to snap one photo, and it 'aint the best.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r172/XV8Fireknife/P1050101.jpg
Actually looks a lot smaller in that pic. When the camera's rechared I'll post a comparaison shot. The base it's on is about 3'x1'
C&C appreciated. I might consider touching up a few things, but that's at least a week away.

Cpt_NinjaPants
27-05-2007, 11:25
lol, this was a unexciting log :P Cool castle though.

hiveminion
27-05-2007, 11:29
Nice work Rogue, that's a great modular castle. Especially the details around the bottom of the walls and the rocks are fantastic. I look forward to some better shots of the whole thing!;)

Rogue 7
27-05-2007, 20:04
Modular? I wish. It's just one big thing on a base, which I MIGHT consider painting, flocking and whatnot, but it was supposed to be a moat, and I started in on it around 3 A.M. the night it was due. I can post how I built the thing, but I won't have any WIP pictures, if anyone's interested.

lilljonas
17-06-2007, 09:19
Matsumoto-jou is a very good choise, it's a nice looking castle with a great position next to water, and I'd happily build one myself some day. Any chance of getting some more pictures?