PDA

View Full Version : no-use Does it all! 40k, WFB, Spinspur and more.

no-use4a-name
24-05-2007, 13:26
I've decided to start an "all encompassing" p-log that will, hopefully, document the completion of various armies/factions/gangs or whatever.

Here's a quick list of things to come:

Priority #1
Turn my Armored Company into a 1750pt legal Imperial Guard force by November for Baltimore's GT.

The army was a bit of a rush job. So, now I can go back and add the details that I neglected as well as giving the proper attention the the areas that were rushed. This translates to me having to build and paint another 7 Sentinels, 1 Chimera, 16 Storm Troopers and a 5 man Command Squad. Plus, add the aforementioned details on 1 Sent., 3 Lemans and 3 Chimeras.

Here's a quick shot of a Sent.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Walkers/SentLeft.jpg

And, two finished Storm Troopers.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Infantry/Squad1SGT.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Infantry/Squad1Plasma.jpg

Priority #2
Get a Vampire Counts army to a comfortable 2000pts. It's just something that I'd like to have done. This army will be mostly dipped skellies, @100 of them. The banners and characters will get some attention as will the Black Knights and the giant spiders (Counts as Fell Bats). Hopefully, this one will be completed in a few months. Especially considering how easy it will be. Sorry- no pictures. It would help if I actually started this one. And soon.

Priority #3
Get a gang built for a game that's due to release in July. Some of the guys at my club are play testers. It's geared towards adults. Instead of me doing a horrible job describing it.....here's the link to the website. (http://www.comfychairgames.com/home.html) I'm really excited for this release.

Well, I'll post some PiP in the next post.

no-use4a-name
24-05-2007, 13:29
Here are the PiP of the STs. All four need attention and cleaning up. The last one is the closest to being completed.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/WIPSTI.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/WIPSTII.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/WIPSTIII.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/WIPSTIIII.jpg

As always, C&C welcomed.

schoolcormorant
24-05-2007, 13:31
cooool i'll be watching :)

the game looks cool, 'Spinespur' :evilgrin:

go for it!

SC

Boss_Salvage
24-05-2007, 15:01
Looking forward to your dipped vamps, and more models from you in general. Spinespur looks neat too, hope to hear how that plays out.

- Salvage

Ninners
24-05-2007, 16:05
The storm troopers look very cool, good idea to combie scout parts, it looks awesome.

The weathering on the sentinel is great, if all your vehciles are like that it will be amazing

sheep
24-05-2007, 16:43
Cool stuff as always, love the gloves on the STs.

Also did you get a new camera? The pics look clearer.

That new game looks interestin as well.

Cheers

Sheep

no-use4a-name
25-05-2007, 02:19
Thanks for the kind words fellas.

@SC, you can do some justice to the Spinespur models. Check the "God" Units out in the sketches gallery. Nothing says kewl like an eviscerated crucified man spread eagle on your jet pack.

@Boss Salvage, dipped skellies are the way to go! They die too easily to get Golden Daemon type attention. I just assembled, basecoated and dipped a full unit. Tomorrow, I'll matte varnish them, base them and paint their weapons. The shields and banners will be done later on. I just want to get them playable for now.

@Ninners, the Sent still needs a little more love IMO. It seems a tad flat to me in it's current state. I think the metallics need some weathering. They're too clean.

More picts soon. Hopefully of the Skellies.

@Sheep, same camera. I'm just learning how to edit photos better. ;)

bram kuijpers
25-05-2007, 07:20
i like the way the scouts are painted yet i dont like the skin a bitt to light and i dont like the scout legs either

Jigsaw
25-05-2007, 13:20
Yea, nice.
But if you had little more blacklining and make the skin little less bright they would be even nicer:)

no-use4a-name
25-05-2007, 16:46
Here's an extreme close up of the Sgt's face. I think the lighting I used was too yellow. So I edited the pict and made the colors a little cooler. Hopefully it'll show the contrast of the skin better.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Infantry/SgtCloseup.jpg

Cheers Bram and Jigsaw for the comments. An honest critique is exactly what I ask for.

schoolcormorant
25-05-2007, 17:10
i think the 'problem' arises from the white undercoat, it would be daft to paint it dark flesh then dwarf.

if i were in you're position, i'd (wear a punisher t-shirt at work ;)) and basecoat dwarf flesh, wash with a darker colour, like tanned flesh, then carefully line dark flesh (watered down heavily) into the deepest recesses.

i do understand that you said you'd rushed them or something and owing to me attempting speed paitning (6 fire warriors in 5 days :p) i know the plight.

i'm not one for speed paintng :angel: give me 6 months with a guardsman and i might have it looking mediocre

SC

no-use4a-name
25-05-2007, 17:31
So, more contrast on the skin?

Here's how I do it:
1. Base coat of Tanned Flesh
2. 1st Highlight of 50/50 Tanned and Dwarf
3. 2nd HL of 25/75 Tanned/Dwarf
4. 3rd HL of Dwarf
5. Final HL of Dwarf mixed w/ a little bleached bone
6. Some guys may get an extra HL of Dwarf w/ even more Bleached

I guess the contrast gets lost. So, for the sake of "table pop" I should glaze or black line w/ Tanned?

schoolcormorant
30-05-2007, 16:43
just carefully wash a darker colour into the recesses, thats what i do because i'm quite sloppy :)

update please :D

(being cheeky i know...but come on!)

SC

no-use4a-name
30-05-2007, 16:58
Okay, picts of some VC stuff will be up soon. As in later today soon- promise.

Boss_Salvage
30-05-2007, 17:35
Make it so. I await the dippéd undead.

- Salvagé

no-use4a-name
30-05-2007, 19:56
Oh man! A whole two people are interested in updates. That's one more than I expected....

Anyways, here's what I've spent every available hour working on since last Thursday.

Here's the deal, none of the units have their banner or shields painted. I'll do that once I figure out the actual color scheme. As of right now I'm leaning towards red and a dirty white as the dominate colors with accents of black and a purple.

The first unit of 25 Skellies w/ full command.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/Unit1Skellies.jpg

And the second one of 25 w/ full command
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/Unit2Skellies.jpg

And the third unit of 25 w/ full command. They still need their weapons painted and another coat of Matte Varnish
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/Unit3WIPSkellies.jpg

Here's an army shot.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/WiPArmyShot.jpg

More in the next post due to image limit....

no-use4a-name
30-05-2007, 20:02
Here's a quick shot of one of the Skellies. Just to show the details...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/CloseUpofSkellie.jpg

And, here's a primed Grave Guard. It uses all plastic parts from the Dark Elf, VCS and Tomb Kings range. Inspiration came from some interior art work from the army book. A virtual cookie to the first person who guesses the page number...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/PrimedGG.jpg

And finally, a pre-green stuffed shot of the Black Knight champion. I'll be running a unit of 10 w/ full command. I didn't want them to be the typical undead unit. They'll all be painted as Vampires who formerly lived as Knights of the White Wolf.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Vampire%20Counts/Skellies/WIPBK.jpg

Thoughts, comments, requests or the odd rambling appreciated.

Oh, BTW, the entire army has taken a total of 15 hours worth of work. Not bad for getting 75 figs almost done. *This doesn't include any drying time.

El-Diablo
30-05-2007, 20:38
Those skellys look really impressive. Good luck with the rest of the army.
My only critique is that the black knight doesn't look enough like a white wolf, but i'll wait for the painted version.

El Diablo

no-use4a-name
30-05-2007, 20:47
the black knight doesn't look enough like a white wolf

I thought the calvary hammer would be a dead give away... :p j/k.

Have no fear. I still need to GS fur and add desecrated Ulrik iconography. I'll do that once the other 9 are built.

Thanks for the comment. I'm off to build, basecoat and dip more skellies....for when I raise the DEAD!

schoolcormorant
30-05-2007, 21:41
wow those are ace, nice stuff No-Use, how did you paint the swords?

SC

Murag
30-05-2007, 22:02
Amazing.

How do you get such a nice finish on the skellies? Dipping?

Warwolt the skaven
30-05-2007, 22:12
might just be skills. or white prime? NICE anyhoo!"

no-use4a-name
30-05-2007, 22:45
To answer a few questions:

Swords
- basecoat black
-another basecoat of tinbitz
-drybrush mythril lightly
-apply a watered down glaze of vermin
-then one of blazing/vermin 50/50
-lightly drybrush mythril focusing on the edges
-then one or two coats of matte varnish

Skellies
-prime white
-basecoat bone
-paint on the dip sparingly (I use antique walnut minwax polyshades)
-paint the dip again in the recesses to get a darker effect

Did I miss anything? Again, thanks for the kind words. Back to building more Skellies fer raisin'. WOOT WOOT!

Boss_Salvage
31-05-2007, 13:05
MMM Tasty!

Lovely dipped dead, honestly looking even better than I expected :D The brushed on dip is wonderfully controlled - I use the dip-and-spin-with-powerdrill method, which leaves a lot on the model still (but that's likely because I haven't invested in some mineral spirits to thin the stuff). I've got the exact same dip as you too, good stuff :skull:

I really like how you've given all the skullies the same weapon, really adds to the coherence of the units. Sure, it's a lot more likely they'd ressurect with a wide variety of rotting weapons, but perhaps your necros have the skillz to only raise axe / sword skels ...

So ... is the army done and dipped yet? ;)
Also, are you dipping stuff besides the skels?

- Salvage

no-use4a-name
31-05-2007, 13:38
Thanks for the compliments.

Besides my need to satisfy my OCD, I went w/ the units having the same weapons to make it easier for my opponent to remember what they're fighting. That combined w/ the different banners should allow them to remember what they did to what.

Now to answer some of the Boss's questions, only Skellies and anything skeletal will get dipped. Which is roughly 80% of the models in the army. My 2150 list has 3 bricks of 25 Skellies, 1 brick of 10 Hell Knights, 9 Ghouls, 3 Characters, IIRC 25 Grave Guard and about 20 more Skellies fer raisin'.

I may make the GG unit smaller to add in Fell Giant Spiders. I don't like the way GWs bats look. So, I'm using their LotR Giant Spiders as "counts as".

I don't want to have too many conversions as this army is really an exercise in getting one ready and done ASAP. That's why I've concentrated on finishing the easy stuff first. If I can get bulk of it done quickly. Then I can spend more time on the cool models. IE, characters, Knights and Ghouls.

Hobby update: I've started to build the Skells fer raisin'. A few will be full models but most will be clawing their way out of the ground. Similar to how the two back ranks look in my WIP unit #3. After that, I'll finish painting all of the skellies and then start to work on the Grave Guard. Which should put me at the half way mark. Then I get to work on the fun stuff.

sheep
31-05-2007, 15:34
Awesome stuff, the dipping really is the way to go for quick skellies.

Cheers

Sheep

spikedog
01-06-2007, 02:23
Yay more undead in the plog section.

Your dipping method puts my own Skellies to shame, I was dubious when I heard you would be dipping them but it came out really, really well! If you carry on at this rate you will have a full army done in no time at all.

Love your Grave Guard and Black Knight models too, glad to see another person using different models to the "norm".

I look forward to seeing where this log goes.

no-use4a-name
02-06-2007, 03:21
Ah, Sheep once again graces the confines of my plog. (That sounds really weird) Glad you like 'em. I aim to please.

As for you Spikedog, I highly doubt that my Skels look better than yours. You're just being a bit too kind now. Glad you like the alternate figs. BTW, I really like how you did the grave guard. I'll have to steal that armor recipe.

Anyways, all of this hobbying has gotten me in the mood for gaming. Tomorrow I'm off to my gaming club to test out the army. I'll have to proxy some blank bases as GG. But, no one will mind as it's a private club in our own commercial space- not a store. Membership has it's privileges and liquor too!

mrtn
02-06-2007, 07:41
Nice skellies! :)

I'll just do a tiny rant on the trumpet/horn/thingy of one of the musicians, how can you blow a horn without lips? :wtf: I much prefer drum for skeletons.

tzeentchgiant
02-06-2007, 08:02
Love the skellies, consider this a subscription to your awesomeness :).

TG

no-use4a-name
05-06-2007, 12:41
Nice skellies! :)
Thanks.

I'll just do a tiny rant on the trumpet/horn/thingy of one of the musicians, how can you blow a horn without lips? :wtf: I much prefer drum for skeletons.

So, you have a problem w/ Skels pumpin' air but you don't have a problem w/ the re-animated walking dead? :p

Love the skellies, consider this a subscription to your awesomeness .

TG

@TG, I believe you are the first person to subscribe to one of my threads. I'm honored.

Hobby Update: No picts due to rain. I started painting the unit of 24 Grave Guard and I'm almost finished w/ the building of the 10 Hell Knights. I'll post picts once the sun shows itself.

Laters...

Zodiac
05-06-2007, 13:17
I'll post picts once the sun shows itself.

http://www.sunshine-beach.com/Pictures/Sunshine.jpg

Well?

Harry
05-06-2007, 14:26
Some very nice crisp painting here.

Tell me more about the dipped skellies.

I have never tried dipping.

Just how fast were these to do?

If you wanted to add futher highlights on top... is it possible? Does it look pants?

mrtn
05-06-2007, 17:41
So, you have a problem w/ Skels pumpin' air but you don't have a problem w/ the re-animated walking dead? :p
You should see me in the morning. :p

no-use4a-name
05-06-2007, 17:59
Some very nice crisp painting here.

Tell me more about the dipped skellies.

I have never tried dipping.

Just how fast were these to do?

If you wanted to add further highlights on top... is it possible? Does it look pants?

More about dipped Skellies? Hmmmm, nothing exciting about them; check earlier in the log.

Very fast. As in, "DAMN! That was quick!". Just paint the dip on before bed and by morning they're ready for matte varnish.

You can add on the high lights after you've matted them. Or, before the dip. Just remember that dipping darkens the highlight considerably. I usually apply it after the matte varnish.

As for "pants" I did show a single Skel. You decide.

@Zodiac, how'd you get a picture of my back yard?
@mrtn, some one has some jokes. Keep 'em coming. It'll help off set how boring I am.

Hobby update: 50% complete on the Grave Guard. Picts soon.

Also, I just rescued a gorgeous female pit bull. I'm tempted to keep her if the animal control officer can't locate her owners. Problem is, I think the bitch is in heat and my dog is droooooling (:eek: ) for her goodies.

BillyBob
08-06-2007, 17:03
You haven't done any work since May, so stop playin Halo and start hobbying again!
:D

no-use4a-name
08-06-2007, 17:16
You haven't done any work since May, so stop playin Halo and start hobbying again!
:D

BULL'ISH! Hey, these are MY forums Billybob! Go back to Relic. The fawning masses need yu'r good luvin' over there. j/k of course :D

Besides, I have too gotten some work done. (Bad English- I know)

The unit of Grave Guard are assembled (24 strong) primed, basecoats on the bone w/ the dip done. Working on their weapons and body armor. Plus, I built the 10 Hell Knights and started their GS work.

However, I have been side tracked w/ a small GS exercise.....Nurgle Marines! Dun dun DUNNNN!!11oneeleven! I'll probably only do a unit and maybe a vehicle; for now. :evilgrin:

@Billybob, I probably won't make it to November's GT (Baltimore for the uninitiated) Know anyone who wants a ticket? Does anyone know anyone who wants a ticket?

Boss_Salvage
08-06-2007, 17:25
How many points is the GT? 2000 or 2250?

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the full unit of converted GG, should really be something.

- Salvage

no-use4a-name
08-06-2007, 21:27
I guess I should've been clearer.

It's the 1750 40k Baltimore GT that I (had) plan(ned) attend(ing). :p

IIRC, WFB is 2k. But, I planned on attending the 40k one this year. I wanted to bring my IG and see how well I ranked in painting and sportsmanship. I'd be happy w/ drawing an even score as far as victories are concerned.

Picts should be up Sunday or Monday the latest.

no-use4a-name
28-06-2007, 17:28
UPdate time!

Progress on the VCs has slowed, as of late, as I've been mostly play testing them and not really painting them.

Here's a list of what needs doin', in no particular order;
1. Banners for all of the units
2. Finish the GS work for 9 the Hell Knights...will post picts early next week.
3. Finish painting the 19 Grave Guard...again, picts early next week.
4. Build/convert/paint the Count on foot, mounted Thrall and the 2 Necros. Right now I'm using LotR models as proxies. I'll probably use the new Empire stuff to rep. the Count and 2 Necros. The Thrall will be a converted Bret into a White Wolf.
5. Build and paint the 4 Fell Bats. I also have to make nice bases for them. I'm using LotR Giant Spiders as "counts as" bats.
6. Finish converting the Black Coach and then paint it. I'm still unsure about this unit. It's done well so far. But, I play against a lot of S7 stuff.
7. Paint 7 ghouls and convert their bases.

If I focus on them, I could get them done by late August.

However, I went the Baltimore's GD and picked these up...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/RandomStuff001.jpg

And, here they are soaking in mild dish washing liquid and warm water.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Imperial%20Guard/Imperial%20Guard%20Work%20in%20Progress/RandomStuff002.jpg

The brush isn't for my teeth. It's a soft bristle brush used to get into the small parts of the resin models. :chrome:

Also, I totally forgot my GD Unit entry back in NY. :eyebrows:

So, for the hell of it, I entered some of my IG. They got first cut and some one told me that they were in the top 4 or 5- and were strongly considered for Bronze. I hardly doubt that one.

I just find that pretty funny as I didn't touch them up at all and they have been played with a lot since I first finished the unit back in November. But, it gives me hope for next year.

Since I first started in the hobby, back in mid '01, I have entered 3 things in Golden Daemon. All 3 entries have gotten first cut. Maybe next year I can break the trend.....maybe. That is IF I don't forget it at home again.

no-use4a-name
28-06-2007, 17:35
Double post warning:Check the last post in page two for a VC and GD update. I need more acronyms ASAP!

Since I have yet to post a pict of my pet. I figured that I should. He's an English Pointer named Danny. He was named after my previous dog who lived to the ripe old age of 16. And currently resides in an urn on my mantle in the living room.

Here he is sleeping after a long day of playing in the backyard.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/RandomStuff005.jpg

Here he is chewing on his favorite towel. That he also likes to play tug of war with. Complete w/ spoooky glowing eyes.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/RandomStuff006.jpg

And, a pict of my temporary work station. As the wife and I are currently re-doing my hobby room into a more efficient hobby room/home office. I'm trying to get a flat screen TV out of the deal. I've worn her down a bit. crosses fingers*
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/RandomStuff004.jpg

schoolcormorant
28-06-2007, 17:36
hah go for the flat screen! nice dog too.

keep it mate!

SC

no-use4a-name
04-07-2007, 01:12
After spending the most frustrating week trying to figure out a color scheme for my DKoK; I walked away from it before I flipped the paint station onto the floor.

So, in the strip bath 5 guys go.

Just to clear the cob webs, I decided to paint a test fig for Nurgle. The picts are a bit off as the sun was going down right before I shot these.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Nurgle/Infantry/NurgleTestMarine005.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Nurgle/Infantry/NurgleTestMarine006.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Nurgle/Infantry/NurgleTestMarine007.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/no-use4a-nameII/Nurgle/Infantry/NurgleTestMarine008.jpg

He took about three hours from start to finish- excluding waiting for the green stuff to cure. Anyways, I'm a bit excited to start Nurgle again as I was able to get my hands on the new Codex due out this Fall. I swear I'm not bragging....well, maybe a little.

As always, feel free to comment or ask questions. Hell, tell a joke even; just post something.

dr.oetk3r
04-07-2007, 01:28
whoah, looking good. I like the face and the chest plate.

no-use4a-name
16-07-2007, 15:57
@dr.oetk3r, just saw your comment. Thanks for the nice words. Glad you like my GSing.

Quick update:

-Started an Orc warband for Mordhiem. 3 of the 6 Orcs are finished. And none of the gobbos are past a basecoat. Picts will be up asap.
-re-did my DKoK test model; as SC almost did the same exact camo scheme.
-I'll also post an update of my VCs asap.

I'm a little behind in updates as I just got a 6 week old pit bull. She takes up much of my free time. It's almost like having a toddler again. Luckily, she gts along well with my other dog. She follows him around the house and he tries not to step on her. FYI, he's @60 lbs and she's only 6 lbs. I'll have picts of her up soon as well.

Mr Kibbles
04-10-2007, 03:28
Ur Dogs a darling.

SevenSins
05-10-2007, 13:10
Dog looks really nice, dipping? (mine is way too big to dip, weighing in on 45kgs)

Very nice paint job on those minis too :)