PDA

View Full Version : Why are they screwing with my childhood

inquisitorautry
09-04-2005, 00:48
They took away 'C is for cookie' the monsters.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/07/tv.cookie.lessmonster.ap/index.html

arxhon
09-04-2005, 00:52
Well, i suppose it's a good thing that i'm updating the song with freash now rhymes to be "N is for Nookie". It should fit right in with todays savvy teen crowd.

Or something. :rolleyes:

grizzly ruin
09-04-2005, 01:16
You know I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm actually shocked that there is anyone out there doing any kind of responsible programming at all.

They aren't "cashing in on health", just the opposite.

I think that's probably one of the better things I've read in a while.

Ass Goblin
09-04-2005, 01:53
I'm angry...very angry. Don't play around with my childhood anymore america..Please.

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-04-2005, 02:58
This is just another sign of the USA's corruption and impending takeover of the world.

Don't make me say I told you so when USA nukes you all.

wazzdakka
09-04-2005, 03:06
"My beloved blue, furry monster -- who sang "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me" -- is now advocating eating healthy. There's even a new song -- "A Cookie Is a Sometimes Food," where Cookie Monster learns there are "anytime" foods and "sometimes" foods."

These people need to be set on fire.

Beefstick
09-04-2005, 04:48
yeah man, they should just put in a new monster or something... The celery devil or some such crap. The cookie monster and oscar the grouch were OK 30 years ago. What makes them so taboo today? I don't think anybody went schizo from watching sesame street back then. The ones they really should be out to lynch are the fast food peddling ronald mcdonald and his crew. :rolleyes:

arxhon
09-04-2005, 05:28
yeah man, they should just put in a new monster or something... The celery devil or some such crap. The cookie monster and oscar the grouch were OK 30 years ago. What makes them so taboo today? I don't think anybody went schizo from watching sesame street back then. The ones they really should be out to lynch are the fast food peddling ronald mcdonald and his crew. :rolleyes:

*stabs beefstick in the face with steel toed boots* :p

Seriously, though, nobody can steal your childhood (except the people who touched you in inappropriate ways whe nyou were a child, but that's not a topic for this forum).

You're mistaking "nostalgia" for "my childhood". It's like old people complaining about kids not listening to Lawrence Welk, and instead listening to that guy who shouts all the time about stupid stuff (you may insert wnatever style of music you want here, it doesn't matter, old people hate it all ;) ).

You know..."C is for Cookie" is great. It will never stop being great, and i mean that. Just because some dude somewhere is getting paid $500/hr to change it isn't going to change your childhood, or the effect that "C is for Cookie" has on you when you were a kid.

Besides, i don't think it will have an affect on kinds growing up with unhealthy eating habits, and if it does, then good.

I like cookies, but "C is for Cookie" didn't make me want to binge on a bag of Oreos.

InIronClad
09-04-2005, 05:42
NOOooo... mournfully starts singing C is for cookie, that's good enough for me... and cookies are for mee... C is for cookie, that's good enough for meeee~ C is for cookieee and cookies are for meeeEE OOhhh cookie cookie cookie starts with C!! good times good times.

Brimstone
09-04-2005, 06:21
I'm angry...very angry. Don't play around with my childhood anymore america..Please.

Swearing is not allowed on Portent even though the swear filter is off on the temp forums. Do it again and you'll get a strike.

Ass Goblin
09-04-2005, 07:09
Why is the filter off? I was hoping it would turn into the little dots like it usually does. :confused:

Minister
09-04-2005, 07:29
All this on top of mangling an entire generation's ability to learn the alphabet. It's "Zed", people! Only heathen foreigners (no offence) speak like that!

:D

Brimstone
09-04-2005, 07:32
Why is the filter off? I was hoping it would turn into the little dots like it usually does. :confused:

If you haven't noticed. :rolleyes: this is a temporary forum lacking many of the features normally found on Portent.

Swearing is discouraged in general on Portent, it's not big and it's not clever and some of the worse swear words notably ******* and C*** are strikeable.

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 11:50
I don't live in USA (thank God...), but here in Norway NRK (state owned TV-channel) had alicens to make a Norwegian version of 'Sesamy Street' called 'Sesam Stasjon'. It featured dubbed clips of those Moster things... I used to love them...

Next year they're having an 'all American, political correct' year...
Several members of the US. Government and the entire Bush family is going to be on it and sing songs like: "A is for Arab" and "T is for Terrorist"...

m1s1n
09-04-2005, 13:02
So I used to work for PBS (which is the major broadcasting station that carries 'Sesame Street' in the US).

I know I was really outraged by the whole "Loonatics" thing, but I'm not too upset over the Cookie Monster incident. Every year 'Sesame Street' tries to introduce some type of theme that will run for that entire season so that some type of overall message can be portrayed. This year they decided on 'healthy living'. In an interview with one of the show's producers it was revealed that Cookie Monster would simply be cutting back on his cookie-binges. From the interview I get that they are trying to have the character get some grasp on his behavior--no longer victim to his maniacal eating frenzies.
I do not think it is wrong to try to teach people moderation--especially in a country where excess is more than a trend. They are not sacrificing the integrity of the show in order to be "Polictically Correct"--they are making a choice in the type of content they will be showing.

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 13:26
Dude... That's deep...

Ass Goblin
09-04-2005, 13:32
If you haven't noticed. :rolleyes: this is a temporary forum lacking many of the features normally found on Portent.

Swearing is discouraged in general on Portent, it's not big and it's not clever and some of the worse swear words notably ******* and C*** are strikeable.

:( My bad. I just thought the filter was on due to some of the other features that are on like quick reply.

angelspast
09-04-2005, 19:14
the end times are upon us

Baggers
09-04-2005, 20:38
I watched the Street as a kid and to change what the Cookie Monster says is just strange, another case of political correctness going to people's head.

m1s1n
09-04-2005, 23:24
I guess my point is this--
I don't think it's really "politically correct" to try and work against a consumer based medium that is obsessed with selling us trends and popularities at the expense of our own well being. I don't think it is wrong that Sesame Street--which works to educate as well as entertain--is attempting to cover an important subject with a popular character. More specifically--they are not really changing the character, he simply will not binge. Instead Cookie Monster will show moderation. Within the article itself it even states that the purpose of this change is to show sweets as a "sometimes food." It's not as though he is singing "C is for Cabbage--that's good enough for me."
I think the lesson far outweighs any self-important individualist idea that Sesame Street owes you anything because you used to watch the show.

:0)
09-04-2005, 23:27
What is he going to be now? "The sometimes food Monster"?

arxhon
09-04-2005, 23:35
I think the lesson far outweighs any self-important individualist idea that Sesame Street owes you anything because you used to watch the show.

That was more succinct than i could have managed. Thank you. :cool:

Nid
09-04-2005, 23:40
I heard Sesame Street had Satanic messages in it.

But you know, thats just what I heard.

grizzly ruin
10-04-2005, 04:09

I agree with arxhon, that was incredibly well said.

I watched the Street as a kid and to change what the Cookie Monster says is just strange, another case of political correctness going to people's head.

@baggers: Go back and watch some of those old episodes of Sesame Street, they have always had some strange and interesting characters, but they have also always had responsible programming with a message behind it.

I don't believe they've just caught a case of political correctness.

@ the thread:

Honestly I see this as nothing but a good thing. This is better than the 30 min advertising vehicles designed for kids that have plots that make no sense, filled with fighting and monsters and more time devoted to advertising products being portrayed in unrealistic ways to the believing minds of children vs. actual content in the "program" itself.

I can't remeber how many times on these boards I've read threads with people upset that GW games are being marketed towards kids. Let me let you in on a clue, it's ad driven type of programming geared to make children want an innumerable quantity of things they do not need to get parents to spend their money on that is the real part of this problem, and it is having long term detrimental effects.

I personally applaud Sesame Street for actually taking some kind of initiative that isn't "cool" or "money" based/driven.

And if you are over 9 years old and truly lamenting the devastating changes being done to cookie monster from sesame street, you probably have actual personality problems you should be spending your time working on rather than being concerned with "cookie is a sometimes food".