PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Four Painters. Who's in?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Harry
13-06-2007, 16:34
So here is an idea McMullet and I have been throwing around after 'motivation' came up on Spikedogs thread and how hard it is to stick at it and get an army finished.

The idea we have come up with is...

We run a thread called the Tale of (an undecided number) of painters ... the more the better.

All you have to do to join in is make a commitment to paint and post by the last day of each month approx 200 points of your chosen army.

You must do this each month for the next 12 months (once the competition starts).

However, because people have real lives with exams , holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc, you get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can post saying "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way."

But the other 10 Months you have to come up with the goods or you are out of the competition. 200 points for 10 out of the 12 months and we all and up (12 months later) with a finished 2000 point army.

The winners will be judged by everyone still involved in the thread by the end. (IE everyone who completes a 2000 point army).

Who's in?

This thread is to bash out the rules. Any and all ideas to make this more fun should be posted.

and

For painters interested in getting involved to make their interest known so we can 1) Gauge how much interest there is in the idea. 2) contact you nearer the time. (I am thinking starting next month with the first posts made by the end of July)

CURRENTLY WE HAVE 75 PAINTERS "SIGNED UP'. THERES ROOM FOR PLENTY MORE. DON'T MISS OUT ON THE FUN.

Khrangar
13-06-2007, 16:41
Sounds interesting. I'm in, any excuse to start a new army.

Khrangar

dave is the best
13-06-2007, 16:42
I'll join. Not sure what army thoug.

Dave

McMullet
13-06-2007, 16:46
Well, I'm interested of course. ;)

One other idea that was suggested back in Spikedog's thread was to allow the 200 monthly points to come from any army you like - so you could paint Eldar one month and Beastmen the next if you so wished. Having discussed this a bit I'm coming around to Harry's point of view that, given the comparatively small amount of painting that 200 points represents, along with the possibility of a painting "holiday" now and again, this wouldn't really be necessary. Also, painting a complete army does make it a real project, and gives a nice finish to the "game". Still, some people might disagree so I'll throw it into the discussion pot.

EDIT: I'd be painting my Tyranids

Alex Under
13-06-2007, 17:18
I still have to choose a fantasy army, but I'm in for sure, just say when!

The "jokers" are a great idea but I'd only allow one. As for mixing different armies... well, the point is to get people to finish their armies, so working on several at a time isn't really the point IMO.

Also, I'd separate 40K from fantasy, running two threads at a time.

Harry
13-06-2007, 17:32
Heeey thats great. I was worried we wouldn't get four! We have five in less than one hour. Great news :D

2 jokers just rounded it out to 12 months. we could go for 1 joker and 2250 points? What do others think?

Do we need to split the 40K and Fantasy? I am undecided. What do others think?
2000 points of Fantasy is a lot more than 2000 points of 40K maybe we should split them to try and be fair???
Mcmullet can look after the 40K thread and I can look after the fantasy thread.
It means we need more people to sign up and say if they are for Fantasy or 40K however!

I think the point is to get a completed 2000 point army. Involvement in this competition would not stop folks from painting other side projects that were nothing to do with this. 200 points would not take up all your painting time in a month.

dave is the best
13-06-2007, 18:30
I will do fantesy seeing as i dont have a army for them.

McMullet
13-06-2007, 18:33
I prefer 2 jokers. It's quite possible to have 2 hectic months in a year (unfortunately).

Splitting into 40K and WFB would be worth it if there's enough interest - I'd say 4 of each would be a good number.

Harry
13-06-2007, 18:39
I am thinking we let this thread run for this rest of this month and get as many as possible. 4, 5, 10 painters, the more the better.

Why limit it?

McMullet
13-06-2007, 18:53
Ah, beg pardon. I didn't mean 4 as a limit, I meant that 4 of each would be enough to warrant splitting into separate Tales for 40K and Fantasy. If there were 7 40K painters but only 2 Fantasy then a separate Fantasy Tale would get a bit neglected I fear. :)

Harry
13-06-2007, 18:57
Yes. That would be the "Tale of me and my mate Dave to find out if he really is the best" thread.
Thats not really going to be much fun for anyone.
Also seeing as 'dave is the best' only lives about 500 yards away from my house we don't really need the World Wide Web to help us run that little competition! :D

El-Diablo
13-06-2007, 19:16
I'll definatly be up for this, now I just need to decide on marines or sisters....

El Diablo

BarbedHawk
13-06-2007, 21:37
I'm up, this is going to be interesting....

Btw, are kroot mercenaries allowed?

Harry
13-06-2007, 23:40
You might have to fight Hastings for them but as your in first.

I have also come to a decision.

I shall be painting High Elves. As it is the next army book out I am already excited about it. So that will get me started. Then a few months in the new book will come out with some new minis that I will be keen to get hold of and paint and that will give me a new burst of enthusiasm to keep going. (Well thats the plan!) :D

Dino
14-06-2007, 00:30
This sounds interesting to me. Ok if i jump in or not, and if so would it be ok if some times it wasn't always 200 points (more or less it would be by a point or two under or over)?

spikedog
14-06-2007, 01:13
:cries: I guess I'm not in then...

I don't have 2000 points of anything left to paint, it is all split between multiple armies. Also I can't start a new army until August.

Oh well, I will just have to give encouragement then, good luck guys!

mousekiller
14-06-2007, 03:02
Sounds like a really great idea.

My only issue is this:

My goal is to paint 500 points of every army available in the next 2 to 3 years, then go back and increase each army by another 500 points, etc. Could the rules be adjusted so that the 200 points does not have to be for the same army... just simply 200 points towards an army for that month? Or, better yet, would you accept, in the end, the completion of four separate armies equaling 500 points each?

Harry
14-06-2007, 06:36
Well that is what this thread was to thrash out.

McMullet and I have been knocking this back and forth. He thinks it would allow more flexibility to do as you describe as we all pursue different projects at the same time.

My feeling was it was a shame to dilute the idea and not end up with a legal 2000 point army at the end of a year. It was just such a nice goal.

I thought if this was a success we could run it every year, with more people joining in next year having watched us all achieve a painted army.

However if the majority view is that four legal 500 point "Border patrol'' (UK) "warbands" would be just as good as a 2000 point army???

This is also one of my own goals, however I my feeling was this competition should be about a finished army.

Having said that, if it is the difference detween having folks like you and spikedog 'in' or 'out' then I am willing to bend the idea a bit. (Sniff, mumble, sniff...) What does everyone else think?

@Dino. No absolutely. If you do a unit that totals 175 points you are fine.
Next month you do one that comes to 250 points. There will obviously need to be this kind flexibility.

As long as by month one you are around the 200 point mark, month two the 400 point mark, month three the 600 point mark.....(jokers withstanding).

@Spike dog for you could always play a 'joker' month one and join us month 2 (August). Your one of my faves.

I guess if McMullet and I are keeping an eye on things we can issue a friendly word followed by a 'yellow card' warning and finally a 'red card" to anyone falling off the pace.

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 07:13
I too sir am in, hopefully this competetion will get me stuck into my Ostlanders!

mousekiller
14-06-2007, 07:43
@Harry: Well, I would love to join in if that exception were in place... but even if you guys decide to go ahead with a straight 2000 point single army, I think this thread is going to be a lot of fun to keep an eye on. So, either way, it is a win win situation for me...:p

One_Second_of_Insanity
14-06-2007, 07:45
Very very tempting, good motivation to get my deathwing all complete and really its only one unit a month. count me in.

Hellebore
14-06-2007, 07:45
Sounds good.

I' ve needed an excuse to put together the undead lizardman army sitting in pieces under my desk! :D

Now I just need to stock up on greenstuff...

Hellebore

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 07:52
My feeling was it was a shame to dilute the idea and not end up with a legal 2000 point army at the end of a year. It was just such a nice goal.

Exactly what I think! Everyone is free to post a multiple army project on the General Project Log, but what I find nice about ATO4P (A Tale of 4 Painters) is to see how the army grows and grows: you could even post short battle reports, army background and other stuff to make it much more interesting and give some life and character to the army.

200 points isn't that much; I'll be finishing my WE at the same time I complete an army for ATO4P. Just one question for you Harry... I'm between Empire or VC, but I would hate to start VC and half way through the project see how the new VC minis see the light (obviously wearing sunglasses; I don't think they enjoy light that much...): what do you recomend?

Cheers!

monstallion
14-06-2007, 08:09
Im in for this got 2000 points of eldar needing doing, also I really ought to learn how to use my camra and post piccies on here so will be a aid to doing both:D

Kev

Kodamas
14-06-2007, 08:58
Count me in for the Fantasy Army. I will easily be able to paint 200pts a month... well you would think so anyway.

Undecided of which army to go but possibly Chaos or Dark Elves. I will know later today.

PS Thanks Harry for the heads up on this would have totally missed it!

Jedi152
14-06-2007, 09:18
I would dearly love to get stuck in and do my bretonnians, but i just have no cash right now, and it would seem you're oversubscribed already... ;)

Harry
14-06-2007, 09:47
@Jedi Noooo, don't miss out.

This thread is already attracting some of my favorite people and some serious talent.

Thanks to everyone for coming.:D

It will be great fun. (and a great thread) you'll never forgive yourself if you are not part of this one.

You don't need the whole army up front just buy as you go. (£25 a month should keep you in the game) Or get a battalion box to start, that should keep you going for a few months.

Jedi152
14-06-2007, 09:55
Ok, i'll look into it - i might have anough stuff already to cover a few months purchases.

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 09:57
Me'thinks the title of this thread may need a little work (A tale of 45 painters?).

Seriously like Harry said don't miss out, a Battalion box of Brets will last you a few months at 200pts a month.

I am guessing when the time is up for joining this thread will be closed and a new one started showing the intentions, progress, and dare I say it, excuses, of all involved?

Harry
14-06-2007, 09:59
Oh, if this becomes the tale of 20 painters or more I will be well happy and it will become a legendary thread. (if only for the excuses! :D)

And yes thats the plan. Use this thread to bash out the details and get a list of names over the next two weeks. Close this thread and start a new thread in time for the first 200 points to be posted at the end of July.

Q&A

Here are some thoughts I have that have come out of PM conversations.

Q:How am I going to know if people are posting stuff they have done fresh for this and not just posting an old army?
A:Simply, I am not. It is down to trust and an old fashioned word 'honour'. Obviosly we could all do that but that would really miss the point of trying to use this as the motivation to get an army painted. I also think it would take all the enjoyment out of it for the individual.

We could require WIP photos for each 200 points but I think, on balance, I would sooner take peoples word.

Q: What if I already have a unit WIP
A: Well I don't think anyone is going to mind if the odd thing is something you had already started. (no-one is going to know anyway!) Just so long as your not starting with a half painted army.

Q: What are the prizes.
A: Hadn't even thought that far ahead. Not much If I am buying them :D
Mostly we fight for honour gentlemen.

However we could all chuck £5 in and the winners will get to divide up the pot.

Q;What will the judging be based on.
A: again I had not thought that far ahead. Now I have thought about it I am thinking:
1)Best painted Army
2)Best Themed Army
3)Best converted Army
4)Best General (IE Character model)

Thoughts and suggestions on these would be greatly appreciated.

One_Second_of_Insanity
14-06-2007, 10:00
cant wait for that, now there wouldnt be any problems in going over the 2000pt mark would there? :D

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 10:04
Hmmm, so when is this likely to start?
I';m going to try and repaint my High Elves over the summer so I may join with them, and then continue with the new models, although that may be problematic if your rumours on that subject are correct :( That projevt will probably wait until my Eldar are finished, although I could start earlier...

As for prizes, i'm not bothered about prizes at all; I'd be doing this just for the fun of taking part ;)

McMullet
14-06-2007, 10:06
How's about this for an idea: Since there is a bit of interest in the 200 points of whatever-takes-your-fancy structure as well as the complete army project, instead of splitting 2 ways, we split 3 ways - One tale each for Fantasy and 40K, and one that is about clearing the backlog, whatever it may be.

That way, those who want to produce a complete army can do so, but those who have their fingers in many pies can keep them there. ;)

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 10:16
It isn't my competition but I would suggest that 200pts of whatever every month would be better posted in the owners own project log. I think the goal of having a legitimate list at the end of the competition is a good motivational tool.

@ Harry I think you got the Judging just right.

I don't think prizes are necessary just being named "the winner" will be enough for me ;)

One_Second_of_Insanity
14-06-2007, 10:19
seconded, there doesnt need to be a prize, being named a winner on warseer is a huge acheivement in iteslf

@McMullet I think the three categories would be a great idea

THE CHIEF
14-06-2007, 10:32
OK I am in if that's OK? I have a heck of a lot of stuff I am trying to get through (and so far just ambling aimlessly through). This is just the kind of motivation I need I think. I have a lot of DA stuff including Deathwing, Ravenwing and standard Dark Angels. I think I'll probably focus mainly on Deathwing but the Codex is nice and flexible now so I can always chop and change. I will be aiming for 2k (or more) - and a legal list of course.

Cheers!

Harry
14-06-2007, 10:32
I am leaning strongly towards making this only about completing a 2000 point army.
I would like this thread to be about seeing full armies done in a year.
(We can all start threads for 'whatever-takes-our-fancy'/clearing our backlog, the project logs are full of those. I have one myself! :D I want this to be about something else.)
It will be a shame to loose anyone because of this but I think thats the way we should go.

If people want to go there own way and do something different and start other threads obviously that is fine, graet and groovey. I shall watch with interest I am sure. I may even join in that as well to shift some of my odds and ends.

I am undecided about whether we should split Fantasy and 40K
I would like to here more opinions on this.
Do you guys play both?
Do you enjoy looking at both?
OR are you mostly interested in one system or the other?

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 10:35
Hmm, i tend to only have one project on at once, althoyugh this summer may be different as i'm planning to do Necromunda at the same time as my Elves.
I dont; mind if it's split up at all as if i take part I'll be doing Fantasy exclusively.

I think that the three category idea is a good one; it gives people options about what they want to do.

THE CHIEF
14-06-2007, 10:36
Personally Harry I don't mind about a split. I wouldn't mind seeing a Fantasy army or three develop alongside the 40k ones in a single thread.

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 10:53
I think a 2 way split of Fantasy and W40k would be cool, I agree with you with regards to the odds and sods stuff, the aim surely must be to produce a fully painted and legal army list for either (or both!) system(s) at the end of the given time.

If I have time I may get my DA underway at the same time as my Ostlanders, but WFB will take preference.

Harry
14-06-2007, 10:57
@CHIEF I feel the same the other way around. I don't mind looking at a few 40 armies. Good painting is good painting.

But will it be a fair competition??? My perception is there are a lot less minis in a 40K army. Is it a lot easier to knock out 200 points of 40K than Fantasy.

It does not matter to me. I am just in it for the fun of it. But would it bother anybody else?
In many ways it seems nicer to all be in it together rather than split into two threads. The aim of completing an army remains the same regardless of system.

But I am easy. I will go with the majority so make your feelings known.

H.

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 11:00
I too am only in it for the fun (well that and to win, and to get some stuff finished ;) ).

BUT I think in the interests of fairness the WFB/40k split may need to be official and seperately judged as you rightly say 200pts of 40k is usually a lot less minis than 200pts of WFB. However I am happy to go with the majority.

Norsehawk
14-06-2007, 11:02
Might as well toss my hat into the ring, it would be nice to have a completed army, but geez what to paint, 40k wise, I could do IG, marines (dark angels or flesh tearers) Chaos (Latd and Straight chaos marines (ig or my new idea, Red Corsairs)), Tau, 'Nids, Eldar, and Witch hunters/daemonhunters.

Aw hell, I'm a glutton for punishment, put me down for IG, and Could I do DH allies (the idea I was tossing around was its a ragtag group collected from all over by an Inquisitor as his personal little army of remnants from everywhere)

spikedog
14-06-2007, 11:04
OK well I guess I could play my Jokers right at the start until I am back in the UK and can start my new army.

When were you thinking of starting anyway?

Also if we did 40K/Fantasy split I still think we should keep it in one thread but the points values should maybe be different maybe 1500 for 40K and 2000 for Fantasy so it would be 150 points a month for 40K?

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 11:18
I'd focus the TO4P thread this way:

a) Two threads; one for 40k and one for Fantasy.
b) You have to start an army exclusively for this project
c) No other projects, exclusively update info on the army your working on for TO4P.
d) No cash prizes; I too think that Warseer nominating you as the winner is a great prize. Maybe we could design a nice "winner certificate" and email it to the winner as a .pdf file so he can print it out and have something to boast in front of his gaming mates. :D

As for me, in the end I'll choose a Nuln army or a Slaaneshii Beast army...

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 11:21
I could do (...) Chaos (Latd and Straight chaos marines)

:eyebrows: Straight Chaos Marines means they aren't Slaanesh, right? :p

Norsehawk
14-06-2007, 11:24
:eyebrows: Straight Chaos Marines means they aren't Slaanesh, right? :p

Actually, I don't have any slaneeshi marines, Khorne, Nurgle yeah, a Sorc or two, but nothing slaneeshi. So I guess so!

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 11:25
I think you missed that joke :)

Harry
14-06-2007, 11:30
OK well I guess I could play my Jokers right at the start until I am back in the UK and can start my new army.

Also if we did 40K/Fantasy split I still think we should keep it in one thread but the points values should maybe be different maybe 1500 for 40K and 2000 for Fantasy so it would be 150 points a month for 40K?

I am thinking once this thread gets going there are going to be others who want to join in.

I am thinking maybe we can say if you miss the first month OK but you have to join second month with 400 points to keepm it on track.

Not going to do a different points split. It has to be 200 points to achieve a 2000 point army in twelve months. If we don't do that we can't do it all again next year:D

What we can do is keep it as one thread and split the judging into the same four catagories for both Fantasy and 40K.

McMullet
14-06-2007, 11:31

I think Harry was talking about leaving the applications open until the end of June, then looking for the first updates at the end of July (or maybe August), so that would work OK for you.

I'd say that model counts in a 40K army are generally less than WFB - mainly due to the fact that there are a lot of elite (15+ pts per model) and vehicle-based armies in 40K. Typical tournament armies are 1500 for 40K and 2000 for WHFB but that's got more to do with game time than model count I think. Personally I'd go for 200 points per month for both systems (even though I'll be painting about 60 hormagaunts plus a load of opther stuff).

a) Two threads; one for 40k and one for Fantasy.

I'd say this depends on logistics, that is, the number of participants in each system. I'll certainly be interested in keeping an eye on both.

If there is only a single update with a couple of pictures per month, then keeping it all in one thread would work fine.

b) You have to start an army exclusively for this project

Not quite sure what you mean there... does this mean that one already painted hormie means I can't do nids? I don;t see why it can't be a 2000 point expansion to an army one already owns.

c) No other projects, exclusively update info on the army your working on for TO4P.

I assume that means within the TO4P thread? I still think a separate thread for general 200pt per month painting is OK if people are interested in it.

d) No cash prizes; I too think that Warseer nominating you as the winner is a great prize. Maybe we could design a nice "winner certificate" and email it to the winner as a .pdf file so he can print it out and have something to boast in front of his gaming mates. :D

I think you're probably right there. The certificate is a nice idea. :)

As for me, in the end I'll choose a Nuln army or a Slaaneshii Beast army...

Sounds good!

Norsehawk
14-06-2007, 11:35
I think you missed that joke :)

No, I got the joke perfectly.

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 11:42
@McMullet: If there is only a single update with a couple of pictures per month, then keeping it all in one thread would work fine.

That would be another option: limiting updates. A problem is that if there are quite a few projects going on in one thread and everyone is posting WIP, Fluff, etc, it might be difficult to follow each project. Probably we should only allow completed 200 point updates and no WIP? :confused: No idea...

@McMullet: Not quite sure what you mean there... does this mean that one already painted hormie means I can't do nids? I don;t see why it can't be a 2000 point expansion to an army one already owns.

Ok, understand your point, but what I mean is that a half painted army or a fully painted 1500 point army getting an expansion isn't really the idea behind TO4P, but that's just me. It's nice to see how an army develops from the very start, but maybe we could put a limit, say you can already have a maximum of 500 points painted for example.

@McMullet: I assume that means within the TO4P thread? I still think a separate thread for general 200pt per month painting is OK if people are interested in it.

Exactly, I meant within the thread. A separate thread is ok with me. :)

Harry
14-06-2007, 11:47
So heres where it falls after about a day....

Fantasy:

Harry : High Elves
Dave is best : Dwarfs
Hastings : Empire
Hellbore : Lizardmen
Kodamas : Chaos OR Dark Elves. (He will know today...he's buying it as we speak!)
Jedi : Bretonnians. (If he gets some birthday money)
Arhalien : High Elves OR something Else?
Alex Under : Empire, VC, Nuln, Or Slaanesh beastmen. (Its like being with my wife trying to choose what she wants to eat).:D Currently NULN but all options remain open until two mins before the competition starts.

McMullet : Tyranids (expansion)
Barbed hawk : Kroot mercs EDIT : Or Death Guard
Monstallion : Eldar
THE CHIEF : Dark Eldar EDIT : I meant Dark Angels. Easy mistake to make. There all .... Dark!
Norsehawk : IG
Jim Reaper : IG

Undecided (but keen as mustard):

Khrangar
One second of insanity
El diablo (Although something 40K)

WHAT AN AMAZING SPLIT/SELECTION OF ARMIES!!!!

(Alex Under go for VC or Beastmen just to keep the variety).

spikedog
14-06-2007, 11:49
McMullet, I don't see why you couldn't do an aditional 2k army of 'nids to add to what ever you have already done. Just as long as you haven't started what ever you are going to paint until the start of the first month.

As for me I can't buy my stuff until I get back to the UK and that will be the 1st of August so it means I won't have an update until the end of august. I could either use a joker for July or paint 400 points worth of stuff for August. Either is good.

I second (or 3rd whatever) the idea of no prizes. It is too easy to cheat and after all the greatest prize will be the sense of satisfaction of having a fully painted army at the end. However a certificate or maybe a custom title could be cool.

So were we thinking of no WiP pictures in the thread but rather in people's own Project Logs and just pictures at the end of the month?

Since everyone is listing armies I may as well list mine, assuming nothing else catchs my eye my army for the year will be...... Armoured Company!

THE CHIEF
14-06-2007, 11:53
@McMullet: If there is only a single update with a couple of pictures per month, then keeping it all in one thread would work fine.

That would be another option: limiting updates. A problem is that if there are quite a few projects going on in one thread and everyone is posting WIP, Fluff, etc, it might be difficult to follow each project. Probably we should only allow completed 200 point updates and no WIP? :confused: No idea...

I was thinking I would regularly update my existing project log(s) and then just post links to it in the dedicated TO4P thread. No sense in neglecting my logs and then posting the same pics on multiple threads is there?

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 11:54
Arhalien : High Elves (A mistake going head to head I fancy :D)

Hmm, I'm up for the challenge. :D I just hope we aren't doing the same scheme; is yours red and white with bronze armour by any chance? ;)

If we're starting in July I may have my first 200 points as the Silver Helms and mage I'm currently working on as i'll prbably still be doing my Eldar in July

Oh, and out of itnerest, what if the army book changes half way through the project and you're 2k point army changes? Or am i nitpicking a bit too much? ;)

THE CHIEF
14-06-2007, 11:55
THE CHIEF : Dark Eldar

Err, Dark Angels lol

Cheers.

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 11:55
Err, Dark Angels lol

Cheers.

Go easy on him; he gets a bit confused about 40k at times, poor thing :p ;)

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 11:56
Alex Under: Empire, VC, Nuln, Or Slaanesh beastmen. (Its like being with my wife trying to choose what she wants to eat).:D

You wouldn't want to invite me for lunch! It's even worse! :D

Doing Empire in the end... No... ermm... Beastmen, I mean men, nuln men but.. dead men, so it's VC but... mmm... :o

Made up my mind: NULN. (never used an army with gunpowder, fancy a change). :)

Harry
14-06-2007, 12:06
I was thinking I would regularly update my existing project log(s) and then just post links to it in the dedicated TO4P thread. No sense in neglecting my logs and then posting the same pics on multiple threads is there?

This is the way to go I think. We can all do our own thing in our own logs. Just one post with pics on the 'Tale of four painters' thread with links to our logs for WIP and tutorials as required.

All other posts on the thread should be simply making appreciative noises Or taking the P1ss out of other competitors work as required.:D

I will go and update and correct the above list as required.
(So DA are not hte ones with the pointy ears???)

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 12:10
All other posts on the thread should be simply making appreciative noises Or taking the P1ss out of other competitors work as required.:D

Suits me ;)

Dino
14-06-2007, 12:54
Ok I'll see what I can paint up.

Hellebore
14-06-2007, 12:59
I'm not interested in prizes - the encouragement is enough for me.

It's amazing how being beholden to another's expectations incites you to action, but your own expecatations can be ignored. I suppose we really do care what other people think. :p

When are we starting? It's going to be a challenge to convert and paint up undead lizardmen in the time alotted, but I'm keen! :D

Hellebore

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 13:03
May I suggest actually putting the monthly updates on one thread? it seems to make more sense than having X amount of threads about the same thing.

I am back off to opening boxes of empire troops now and getting the trusty pen and paper to work out my Ostland force.

Good luck guys.

p.s. What's the betting that when Ryan (Kodamas) returns he has bought neither DE or Chaos ;) ??

Harry
14-06-2007, 13:07
When are we starting? It's going to be a challenge to convert and paint up undead lizardmen in the time alotted, but I'm keen! :D

Undead Lizardmen!:eek:

Frantically starts thinking of a theme to apply to his army. May change completely and do something else...... Now i sound like Alex under!

July. Start painting on the 1st for first post on the 31st July (Is the plan as it is forming).

Jedi152
14-06-2007, 13:09
So we're doing 10 monthly installments of 200 points, and having 2 jokers?

*is not looking forward to peasant months*

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 13:12
That sounds like the plan, one other question Harry if I may.

Some months will obviously be slightly less that 200 pts and others more (i.e. my general will be 249 points) is this ok? Also just to clear it up before anyone else asks, are we allowing Special Characters?

spikedog
14-06-2007, 13:16
So Harry are you going to start a new thread as of July 1st with everyone's armies and targets etc in it?

I guess I should start working out my list at least to work out how much I need to buy each month.

Catferret
14-06-2007, 13:23
I am responding to a PM'd invite. Catferret signs up with his Ogres. Have an army list worked out to 2000pts. Nothing painted yet. Lots of conversion work still to do... It'll be fine... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I still need to buy half the army...

Harry
14-06-2007, 13:47
May I suggest actually putting the monthly updates on one thread? it seems to make more sense than having X amount of threads about the same thing.

p.s. What's the betting that when Ryan (Kodamas) returns he has bought neither DE or Chaos ;) ??

Yes one thread that we all update once a month with lots of friendly banter inbetween. i guess we can talk about what we are doing next etc.

Kodamas...no chance. :D

So we're doing 10 monthly installments of 200 points, and having 2 jokers?

*is not looking forward to peasant months*
I note no one has opted for skaven or Goblins yet!

Some months will obviously be slightly less that 200 pts and others more (i.e. my general will be 249 points) is this ok? Also just to clear it up before anyone else asks, are we allowing Special Characters?

Asked and answered earlier. But yes 200 points is a target. Some units or characters will be just over or just under. Although it would be good for comparisons and so on if we could stick close to 200 points month one and 400 points month two etc...No rushing ahead. nothing to stop you getting ahead on the painting just lets try and stay close on the posting. So if you post 250 points one month only post 150 the next etc...

This raises one more point. How about we all leave generals until last. He is the easiest to tweak with points to bring you right up to the total with Magic items and kit and will be a nice suprise in the last month. Even if you have not used your jokers you could use them so that we all drop our generals as the final post this time next year.

So Harry are you going to start a new thread as of July 1st with everyone's armies and targets etc in it?

I guess I should start working out my list at least to work out how much I need to buy each month.

YES.
However, I don't think it will be compulsory to post a 2000 point list or a breakdown of each month. I know my own army will be more organic than that painting what I in the mood for rather than to a strict list.

I am responding to a PM'd invite. Catferret signs up with his Ogres. Have an army list worked out to 2000pts. Nothing painted yet. Lots of conversion work still to do... It'll be fine... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I still need to buy half the army...

Yay, Catferrets in. :D

(In % terms how much of your army is converted already?
This is just out of interest. I think this falls under the earlier situation discussed that if you have started on the odd unit etc. It's not a big problem).

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 14:19
I have to say I am REALLY exited about this! The list is such an exceptional gathering of folk that this thread, if done right, will be the stuff of legends!!!

Hurrah for Harry & McMullet!!

Arkzein
14-06-2007, 14:33
I have to say I am REALLY exited about this! The list is such an exceptional gathering of folk that this thread, if done right, will be the stuff of legends!!!

Hurrah for Harry & McMullet!!

I'll second that, if there aren't too many drop outs along the way it will remain as one most folks will be watching. Wish I could join in but as I told Harry 200 point per month is well above what I'm putting out now at the best of times, and I wouldn't really be free to start until late September.

Looking forward to watching it all pan out though.

THE CHIEF
14-06-2007, 14:39

(In % terms how much of your army is already converted already?
This is just out of interest. I think this falls under the earlier situation discussed that if you have started on the odd unit etc. it's not a big problem).

Oh. I hope it's not too big a problem, but I really want to focus on my Deathwing and they are mostly built and converted etc. already. It is the painting part that I always have issues with which is why I was so eager to join in. If need be I can be excluded from the 'best convertsions' category I don't mind. That said I do have a lot of general DA stuff and Ravenwing stuff all still to be built so if it is an issue I can focus on that and do my Deathwing alongside instead.

75hastings69
14-06-2007, 14:52
I'll second that, if there aren't too many drop outs along the way it will remain as one most folks will be watching. Wish I could join in but as I told Harry 200 point per month is well above what I'm putting out now at the best of times, and I wouldn't really be free to start until late September.

Looking forward to watching it all pan out though.

That's a shame as you are my favourite painter on the whole of Warseer. I'll just have to get by watching progress on your own excellent project log.

Khrangar
14-06-2007, 14:57
As I said before, I'm in, and will participate in the Fantasy one if they get split. I just need to decide between Orcs and revamping my Chaos Horde.

Khrangar

Harry
14-06-2007, 15:00
@Arkzein.

Heres a suggestion. Go with the demon list. Start with a greater demon. I model (20 hours) 600 points thats your first three months sorted. That will get you way past Golden Demon. Hell, you can even enter it in Golden demon. Then you can join us in october. still on track with two jokers to play. Come on , you know you want to. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't. All the best people are coming to this party.:D

Alex Under
14-06-2007, 15:09
I note no one has opted for skaven or Goblins yet!

Don't tempt me, I might change my mind again... :evilgrin:

About leaving the general for the end, I like to start my projects painting a centre-piece, so I would paint him first more than last, but I will leave a special something for last, maybe a Steam Tank or a MASSIVE cannon (not to game with, just as an extra).

I have nothing bought yet, not even the army book; I plan on buying stuff each month just like the original article on White Dwarf.

PS: And yes, this can become a legendary thread...

dave is the best
14-06-2007, 15:47
Can i change armies? I have been looking at Dwarf models and relised there not that nice! I'll discuse with harry what army i want to do.

Dave

Arkzein
14-06-2007, 15:56
*laughs* Cheers you two. The FW Keeper is another thing I'd be looking at 150+ hours plus display base, and least that was my plan eventually. Mind you you've at least got me thinking on how to fit this in, namely with large single pieces.

Tell you what, this is starting with July as the first month I imagine? I'll take a joker on that, it'll give me July and August to finish off my Daemonettes and Noise Marine Squad around my other work (Just 5 models more, 100 hours-ish now I'm speeding up). About 250 points, could even drop two minis for legal, but unfuffy, squads. My GD entry can do for September and after that I can have one model a month. (Defiler, Lord, FW Daemon) and *should* be able to keep on track, especially with another "free" month should I fall behind. I was going for an entire display quality force but I'm so damned slow (Hours spent making up for lack of skill honestly) but if I ever want to finish I'll have to compromise somewhat I now realise.

It'll certainly give me motivation to keep on moving with this force, I was hoping to join the Edinburgh club here come late September as well with a small playable army. I'm just so god damn slow! :cries:

*edit*

As for the format, the things that always irked me about long running and popular logs were leafing through pages upon pages of comments to see the pictures, and then finding broken links! Thus I would propose something a bit radical to solve both the problems. It worked well on another forum with many folks updating a story, but naturally wanting also to chat and comment without messing up the continuity.

One Thread just with the end of the month updates from everyone (fantasy *and* 40k as it will just be updates so no clutter). All the "juicy" bits folks want to read in one place, no chatter or discussion. Perhaps even locked after each months updates.

We have a second thread for all comments and discussion, perhaps WIPs and mid-month and updates, just like a "normal" project log.

Also someone uploads all the pictures to a single photobucket account so sometime down the line they aren't all going to vanish.

Can see some problems, namely folks posting in the update thread that will need to be removed and the possibility it will just disappear off the face of the earth after every month's updates.

Thus may need some mod involvement to remove the posts or (should it grow large enough) a sticky, which could perhaps be seen as preferential treatment. Chatter thread should stay pretty high (can even use it more like a normal project log) just linked in large font to the monthly update log on the first page. Of course can be done without a little help from a mod, but it'll just be opening a locked thread again and removing a few posts once a month at worst. (Not sure how open they'd be to the thought though)

Anyway, put thought I'd put that out there, I feel it's a good way forward to keep things organised as otherwise we'll have a 100+ page thread in the end where nobody can find anything not very recent no doubt with plenty of broken images throughout after a year.

Jim Reaper
14-06-2007, 16:20
Hello!

I'll happily join in this noble enterprise. I'm just starting up a Guard army and this is just the kick up the proverbial I need.

Just one question though... the theme of my Guard army is lots and lots and lots of men. No tanks, just a few sentinels. So it's quite possible that my two hundred points might wind up being fifty conscripts. So, the question being, does the 200 points actually need to be a legal unit, or can I just do a grab bag of stuff? Say 10 conscripts, a sentinel or two, and finish off the numbers with some stormtroopers?

EDIT: Well, I say a few sentinels. Technically there are nine in my planned 2000 point list...

Arhalien
14-06-2007, 16:55
Hmm, just thought up a problem (as I always do with any sort of project ;)). This Elf army repainting is something I'd like to try and do quickly, rather than spreading it out over 12 months. That leaves me with a small problem; what to do?
Well, I have been thinking of ideas for a guard army with allied Daemonhunters, the only problem is that the guardsmen will have greenstuffed carapace (and I have no idea how to use the stuff yet) and FW respirator head, and converted lasguns :eek: So, expensive and difficult.
Erm, so I may be able to take part with them if I finish my Eldar and get some form of holiday job in the later half of the summer... and if I don;t change my mind again ;)

So, put me down provisionally as Guard, but I may drop out or change my mind at some point.
Doesn't mean I won;t be doing the Elves; they'll probably turn up in a log somewhere

BarbedHawk
14-06-2007, 18:25
I should be doing Death Guard, I've already got some ideas for them.

Unless I change my mind of course. :p

Harry
14-06-2007, 20:24
As I said before, I'm in, and will participate in the Fantasy one if they get split. I just need to decide between Orcs and revamping my Chaos Horde.
Khrangar
Your in. I have added you to the fantasy side.

Can i change armies? I have been looking at Dwarf models and relised there not that nice! I'll discuse with harry what army i want to do.
Dave
Yes. You can change. Nothing is 'cast in stone' until the first Post I imagine with this lot:D

About leaving the general for the end, I like to start my projects painting a centre-piece, so I would paint him first more than last, but I will leave a special something for last, maybe a Steam Tank or a MASSIVE cannon (not to game with, just as an extra).
Well if you insist. I am not going to force rules on anyone. I want people to 'do there own thing' and have fun. Part of what this si about is seeing how different people go about the task. I always start with a block of core troops.

Tell you what, this is starting with July as the first month I imagine? I'll take a joker on that, it'll give me July and August to finish off my Daemonettes and Noise Marine Squad around my other work (Just 5 models more, 100 hours-ish now I'm speeding up). About 250 points, could even drop two minis for legal, but unfuffy, squads. My GD entry can do for September and after that I can have one model a month. (Defiler, Lord, FW Daemon) and *should* be able to keep on track, especially with another "free" month should I fall behind. I was going for an entire display quality force but I'm so damned slow (Hours spent making up for lack of skill honestly) but if I ever want to finish I'll have to compromise somewhat I now realise.
we will try and be flexible.
You could always use this as an opportunity to buy some cheap plastics that your less bothered about and see how fast you can slap the paint on. Not your style I know but... Just a thought. Everything does not have to be olympic standard. :D (Might be getting new plastic demons within the year).

As for the format, the things that always irked me about long running and popular logs were leafing through pages upon pages of comments to see the pictures, and then finding broken links! Thus I would propose something a bit radical to solve both the problems. It worked well on another forum with many folks updating a story, but naturally wanting also to chat and comment without messing up the continuity.

One Thread just with the end of the month updates from everyone (fantasy *and* 40k as it will just be updates so no clutter). All the "juicy" bits folks want to read in one place, no chatter or discussion. Perhaps even locked after each months updates.

We have a second thread for all comments and discussion, perhaps WIPs and mid-month and updates, just like a "normal" project log.

Also someone uploads all the pictures to a single photobucket account so sometime down the line they aren't all going to vanish.

Can see some problems, namely folks posting in the update thread that will need to be removed and the possibility it will just disappear off the face of the earth after every month's updates.

Thus may need some mod involvement to remove the posts or (should it grow large enough) a sticky, which could perhaps be seen as preferential treatment. Chatter thread should stay pretty high (can even use it more like a normal project log) just linked in large font to the monthly update log on the first page. Of course can be done without a little help from a mod, but it'll just be opening a locked thread again and removing a few posts once a month at worst. (Not sure how open they'd be to the thought though)

Anyway, put thought I'd put that out there, I feel it's a good way forward to keep things organised as otherwise we'll have a 100+ page thread in the end where nobody can find anything not very recent no doubt with plenty of broken images throughout after a year.
All very good ideas. I will discuss them with a Mod.
Thanks for that.

Hello!

I'll happily join in this noble enterprise. I'm just starting up a Guard army and this is just the kick up the proverbial I need.

Just one question though... the theme of my Guard army is lots and lots and lots of men. No tanks, just a few sentinels. So it's quite possible that my two hundred points might wind up being fifty conscripts. So, the question being, does the 200 points actually need to be a legal unit, or can I just do a grab bag of stuff? Say 10 conscripts, a sentinel or two, and finish off the numbers with some stormtroopers?

EDIT: Well, I say a few sentinels. Technically there are nine in my planned 2000 point list...
Welcome aboard.

NO. Units do not have to be legal at the time of posting. I was looking at High elves earlier. I will need to do a unit and then add 5 models here and there later on to bring them up to strength. Same thing applies. As long as at the end of it you have a road legal army.

So, put me down provisionally as Guard, but I may drop out or change my mind at some point.

Done.

I should be doing Death Guard, I've already got some ideas for them.

Unless I change my mind of course. :p
Done.

So this is how it stands now:

Fantasy:

Dave is best : Dwarfs
Hellbore : Undead Lizardmen
Kodamas : Chaos OR Dark Elves. (He will know today...he's buying it as we speak!)
Khrangar : Orcs or Chaos
Cat ferret : Ogres
Alex Under : Empire, V.C., Nuln, Or Slaanesh beastmen. (Its like being with my wife trying to choose what she wants to eat).:D Currently NULN but all options remain open until two mins before the competition starts.

McMullet : Tyranids (expansion)
THE CHIEF : Dark Eldar EDIT : I meant Dark Angels. Easy mistake to make. There all .... Dark!
Arhalien : IG
Arkzein : Emperors Children
El diablo : Marines.
Scott4991 : Guard/Demon hunter
One second of insanity : Death wing

Dino
Llynus
Mikari

WHAT AN AMAZING SPLIT/SELECTION OF ARMIES!!!!

OPEN INVITATION TO ANYONE READING THIS.

Please sign up and join in. Don't worry about the standard of your paintung the only requirement is a commitment to painting 200 points a month for 10 out of the next 12 months to see an army through to completion.

Harry
14-06-2007, 20:48
Kodamas...what did you get?

Kodamas
14-06-2007, 20:54
Nothing... (ok Hastings you will get some of my pie...maybe shop bought at gamesday this year for being right :p )

My Gran passed away on saturday and since my immediate family were not speaking to my Dads side of the family I did not know until today. The funeral was today.

Anyone who has had a gran or close relative pass away so suddenly and had to endure awkward moments with family who you have never spoken to I salute you it is harder than anything I have ever done.

Anyway going by my thread in general I am painting both Empire and DE however since my lovely irish (is he really irish?) lad hastings ns doing empire I will do DE for this comp and empire in my orc log. 2007 shall be known in Leven as the summer of painting (look out Kirkcaldy here comes Ryan!

Harry
14-06-2007, 20:58
Ryan, I am so very sorry to hear that.

No he's not.
Ill put you down for Dark Elves.

All the best
Harry

EDIT: Actually i had a look at my High elves tonight and I have realised that I can meet the 200 point commitment easily. (because they are an expensive troop type. I was toying with the idea...mostly because I am so excited about this and think it will be such good motivation to get a second army done. Would anyone have any objsction to me doing BOTH High Elves and Dark elves providing I meet the commitments for both as two separate entries? Or is that just bonkers?
(If not Kodamas you could do both if you are going to do it anyway.)

Arkzein
14-06-2007, 21:01
Heh, well I do have a ton of plastic Chaos marines sitting as well, can knock them up in short order if short of points one month. Was holding off doing many daemons until the LaTD codex/plastics arrive. (Was thinking of doing a Daemon army/foray into fantasy then as it should be usable under both systems)

Hell with it, sign me up for Emperor's Children 40k. Like I said I'll probably take 2 months rather than one for the first 200 (unless August rather than July is the first deadline), should be fine after that, especially since one can use partial squads. Here's hoping it goes well and starts again next year, have a go at a fantasy army that time about. ;)

Harry
14-06-2007, 21:05
Yay, Arkzein is in. :D

Corrected list above.

El-Diablo
14-06-2007, 21:13
Stick me down for marines Harry, the sisters will have to wait :rolleyes:

El Diablo

Harry
14-06-2007, 21:28
I have edited the list above.

9 painters for Fantasy, 9 painters for 40K. What are the chances of that?

skott4991
14-06-2007, 22:04
Put me in for a guard/deamon hunter combo, not sure which way yet as i need to buy the guard codex.

Thanks.

Oh and when i play a joker can someone send me an abbusive of threatening PM that will motivate me. :p

One_Second_of_Insanity
14-06-2007, 22:50
I'm Definately not missing out on this, so THE CHIEF and I will be collectively painting a lot of unforgiven.

This thread has gotten me very excited, I am glad to be in such good company

Llynus
14-06-2007, 23:00
Hey everyone!!

This soudns like it's gonna be awesome, too late to put my name down?

Not sure what I'll be doing yet, probably 40k, probably a low model count army so I can spend time on the other army I've got on the go or spend lots of time on indiviidual models.

I'll write up soem army lists and see which I like best, then have a nice splurge on buying minis as a present to myself for finishing school, finishing my A levels:D

Catferret
14-06-2007, 23:37

(In % terms how much of your army is converted already?
This is just out of interest. I think this falls under the earlier situation discussed that if you have started on the odd unit etc. It's not a big problem).

I'm part way through the Tyrant (approx 320pts!). That's it. Haven't started the two Butchers or 3 Maneaters yet. I still need to get the parts for them too so don't worry.

EDIT: My condolences go out to Kodamas(Ryan). Come visit us in Edinburger and we buy you a booze if you're 18 or older.

Mikari
15-06-2007, 00:03
If the first dead line is August and I get a bit of luck I'm in for a fantasy Undead (can't decide which faction, but it'll involve dead things with stabby things of some fashion), gobbos or gnoblars.

If it's July.. I may not be able to make the deadline :(

One problem with 200 points : 1 character + magical do-hickies = 200+ points

200 points of Goblins : I just started to throw the paint at the model from 6 feet away, I don't care any more!

Harry
15-06-2007, 00:32
Put me in for a guard/deamon hunter combo, not sure which way yet as i need to buy the guard codex.
Oh and when i play a joker can someone send me an abbusive of threatening PM that will motivate me. :p
Done.
Don't worry I am confident you will get plenty of stick. You better have a damn fine excuse with this crowd. :D

I'm Definately not missing out on this, so THE CHIEF and I will be collectively painting a lot of unforgiven.

This thread has gotten me very excited, I am glad to be in such good company
Got your PM you are in with the Deathwing

Hey everyone!!

This soudns like it's gonna be awesome, too late to put my name down?

No, still time. i have added you to the keen as mustard section above.

EDIT: My condolences go out to Kodamas(Ryan). Come visit us in Edinburger and we buy you a booze if you're 18 or older.
There really are some very nice folk involved in this thread.

If the first dead line is August and I get a bit of luck I'm in for a fantasy Undead (can't decide which faction, but it'll involve dead things with stabby things of some fashion), gobbos or gnoblars.

If it's July.. I may not be able to make the deadline :(

One problem with 200 points : 1 character + magical do-hickies = 200+ points

200 points of Goblins : I just started to throw the paint at the model from 6 feet away, I don't care any more!
It will be July. I don't think I can hold these boys back from starting painting for another month :D

However, if you have to you can play a joker in the first month and join do you first post in august.

If you post 300 points one month just post 100 points the next. it will all even out over the year.
That is one reason I suggested leaving the general till last. Some of them, monster riding fellas are the best part of 200 points. You will have to play a joker and psot 400 points the next month.

Mikari
15-06-2007, 01:03
Can I "cheat" and do 1,000 points in like a month? :D

I am going to paint up a wood elf battalion in about a week or two (don't ask how, I'll use monkey magic or something) to get me a fantasy army and then continue to add a unit a month or so. So I can either go with making a gobbo army but having a break so my hand doesn't fall off, or I can go with the woodies but "cheat" by doing a bucket load 1 month and having a 5 month roll over clear in effect.

You can see where the problem is. Either I try and do two armies at once, which will be annoying or I have to bend the rules a little to take part :(

Edit yay!

Also wouldn't it be better to make fantasy have an "exceptions" rule of sorts?

1 unit or 200 points. Because erm... Well lets be honest here, who the hell will paint 100 goblins in a month and not attempt to sharpen a paint brush to remove his own kidneys with?

Hollopoint
15-06-2007, 01:47
Sign me up. :)

This will be good motivation for my Lizardmen army and will keep it seperate from my other projects (Tau and Brets) that I'll keep to my own log.

It's good to see quite an equal spread of armies, should be an amazing project. WooHoo :D

Arch-Traitor Horus
15-06-2007, 02:38
PM sent sign me up for Dark eldar or Salamanders

Dino
15-06-2007, 02:42
Well if it's still doable I'll do Empire cause I got 3000 points for Adepticon's escolation tourment. But if I can't do Empire then i'm in kind of a jam.

But then again i do have two 40K armies I could do along with Dwarfs. So i'll sit back and wait for the official word.

spikedog
15-06-2007, 03:38
Ah Harry, you keep leaving me off the list of people who have joined up. Don't you want me to be in anymore? :cries:

Harry
15-06-2007, 06:35
Can I "cheat" and do 1,000 points in like a month?

I am going to paint up a wood elf battalion in about a week or two (don't ask how, I'll use monkey magic or something) to get me a fantasy army and then continue to add a unit a month or so. So I can either go with making a gobbo army but having a break so my hand doesn't fall off, or I can go with the woodies but "cheat" by doing a bucket load 1 month and having a 5 month roll over clear in effect.

You can see where the problem is. Either I try and do two armies at once, which will be annoying or I have to bend the rules a little to take part

Edit yay!

Also wouldn't it be better to make fantasy have an "exceptions" rule of sorts?

1 unit or 200 points. Because erm... Well lets be honest here, who the hell will paint 100 goblins in a month and not attempt to sharpen a paint brush to remove his own kidneys with?
You can paint however you like. (I sure as hell won't be just painting up 200 points a month) But all you are posting is 200 points a month. If for no other reason than you don't get miles ahead and demoralise those who only have the time to paint 200 points a month.
So paint your battalion in a week then hit the army book and work out which 200 points yopu will post month one, which 200 points month two...and so on.
This is not a speed painting competition of who can paint an army the fastest. This is a motivational tool to help people stick at a project and see it through to completion in the months they don't feel like picking up a paint brush. 200 points is a nice do-able number even on a bad month.
To post 1000 points in the first month will be have the opposite effect and be demoralising and you will get a friendly PM asking you to delete you post and post again with just 200 points. I will be encoraging everybody to stick as cloes as possible to the numbers. I worked out my elves last night (subject to change) and managed to stay within 15 points of the monthly figure every month. (Until needing to play my jokers to drop my 400 point general on the last month!
So you crack on, paint as much as you want. Complete the whole army in month one just drip feed it on to this thread.

It is 200 points (approx) It can be one unit or more. You could do four trolls and and just 10 goblins with command. Adding 10 goblins another time. (to make a legal unit) You could paint your 100 goblins just 10 a month along side more expensive models.

On your goblins comment check out the thread by Therisnosaurus (sp?)
Current project.....Nine boxes of skull pass Night Goblins! Batch painting sixty at a time. He is doing considerably more than one hundred a month. I think he will have painted the whole flippin lot in a month the way he is going. But its up to you...No guts no glory. :D

Sign me up. :)

This will be good motivation for my Lizardmen army and will keep it seperate from my other projects (Tau and Brets) that I'll keep to my own log.

It's good to see quite an equal spread of armies, should be an amazing project. WooHoo
Cheers, and most welcome. Your added to the list.

PM sent sign me up for Dark eldar or Salamanders
PM recieved, Consider yourself signed up. Welcome

Well if it's still doable I'll do Empire cause I got 3000 points for Adepticon's escolation tourment. But if I can't do Empire then i'm in kind of a jam.

But then again I do have two 40K armies I could do along with Dwarfs. So i'll sit back and wait for the official word.
You can do whichever army you wish. I don't care if we end up with ten Empire armies. seeing what different gamers do is part of the fun.
I have to say as numbers have increased I am starting to lean towards the 'split' discussed earlier and having a Fantasy and 40K thread run side by side. In which case you could do one of each.

Ah Harry, you keep leaving me off the list of people who have joined up. Don't you want me to be in anymore? :cries:
Sorry, sorry, sorry. It was an accident. I must have missed the post I will go back and check.
Spikedog you are top of my list. ;)

So this is how it stands now:

Fantasy:

Dave is best : Not Dwarves something else.
Kodamas : Dark Elves or Empire. (maybe both)
Mikari : Wood Elves (or maybe goblins if he's got the stones!)
Hollowpoint : Lizardmen
Dino : Empire
Alex Under : Empire, Nuln.

Spikedog : Armoured company
McMullet : Tyranids
One second of insanity : Death wing
Arch Traitor Horus : Dark Eldar (see I knew they existed!)

Llynus

Harry
15-06-2007, 06:44
Heres another rule. An important one.

On this thread lets all avoid falling out. No provocative posts. (Unless it is taking the p1ss out of my painting :D) There is enough of that nonsence around the rest of this forum. Lets all try and be supportive towards each other and 'play nice'.

Spikedog stated 'armoured company' in a later post when we had badgered him into it :D

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 07:08
sounds like a good idea Harry, its good motivation for all of us

75hastings69
15-06-2007, 07:11
Yay, this comp is getting better all the time. I assembled some Outriders last night (not against the rules is it??) as I am so excited.

I am very sad to hear of your loss Ryan, if you need anything just drop me a line.

When complete maybe we could add a poll to decide the overall winner?

spikedog
15-06-2007, 07:38
Yay thanks for adding me to the list Harry!

I'm pretty psyched about this actually as I have wanted to do an Armoured Company for a while but wasn't sure if I could justify it money wise. However if I can spread it out over a year then it is just 1 tank a month and that is easily do-able.

First month will be painful however as I have to buy an Airbrush and compressor...

Arch-Traitor Horus - No worries man no offence was taken.

Alex Under
15-06-2007, 07:40
This is looking awesome! I never have the will to finish a project log, so this is looking great. I haven't been so excited since I lost my virginity!

Harry, you have my word: It will be Nuln for sure, just bought the Empire army book.

Harry
15-06-2007, 08:24
Yay, this comp is getting better all the time. I assembled some Outriders last night (not against the rules is it??) as I am so excited.

When complete maybe we could add a poll to decide the overall winner?
No I think that is fine. Most of what I have to paint is based and undercoated. So I think everyone is allowed to start building. so they are ready to go at the start of next month.

Yay thanks for adding me to the list Harry!

I'm pretty psyched about this actually as I have wanted to do an Armoured Company for a while but wasn't sure if I could justify it money wise. However if I can spread it out over a year then it is just 1 tank a month and that is easily do-able.

First month will be painful however as I have to buy an Airbrush and compressor...

Glad to have you onboard. I think its great to have someone doing armoured company. One of the best things about the way this is shaking down is the variety of armies involved.

This is looking awesome! I never have the will to finish a project log, so this is looking great. I haven't been so excited since I lost my virginity!

Harry, you have my word: It will be Nuln for sure, just bought the Empire army book.
I will go and change it now. (I have to do something to keep busy to try and get the thought of inducing those feelings of excitement in a man out of my head. :D

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 08:33
well i've just finished building 2000pts of deathwing in 3 nights so i'm itching to start. just need the final format rules and for it to tick over to july and im off.

Harry
15-06-2007, 09:11
I have just had another thought unless anybody has any objections.(Please contact me if you do)
I would like to run the work that comes from the Fantasy armies in 'The Watchman'. (I will also let the Firebase editor know this is going on.)

The Watchman comes out quarterly so would be showcasing your work at three stages in the process and the final armies. I might just ask each of you for a couple of lines to go under the pictures of your armies about the work you have done.

McMullet
15-06-2007, 09:18
That's an excellent idea!

(by the way Harry... my nid army won't really be an expansion, I have painted a handful of models but they're all different test schemes so I'll be starting afresh with them. ;))

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 09:32
great idea Harry

Alex Under
15-06-2007, 10:25
Nice idea Harry!

BTW, apart of the "winner certificate" it would be nice to send out a pdf certificate once the competition finishes to all the members that have successfully finished the TO4P. It's just a little extra that costs nothing and recognizes in a special way someone's commitment to the project, doesn't matter if they win or not.

Mikari
15-06-2007, 10:42
OI! I have the balls to do it, I just don't know if I have the cash to buy two armies at once or the motivation to paint a million gobbos in green. I suck at painting green and find it my worst colour. If I did this I would do it to the highest quality I could, it wouldn't just be "oh lol, slap slap slap", it'll be proper decent minis and take some real time per mini I tell yee!

If I pick up battle for skull pass I'll do it, if only to take a break from woodies. I figure that will give me a couple of months worth of minis (I'd aim for a unit a month even if that falls short of the total and I have to catch up in the later months with squigs and toys I want lots of).

But hey I have a secret which I shall reveal at the end if I go gobbos :D It will be the most amazing post in the whole contest and win me fame, love and respect. :P

Arhalien
15-06-2007, 10:46
That sounds interesting :)

Would there be anything against posting fluff on the thread, as I ahve quite a bit about this guard army. Oh, and i forgot to mention, there will be DH allies in case that needs to be added to the list.

Harry
15-06-2007, 11:02
(by the way Harry... my nid army won't really be an expansion, I have painted a handful of models but they're all different test schemes so I'll be starting afresh with them. ;))
I will correct the list.

BTW, apart of the "winner certificate" it would be nice to send out a pdf certificate once the competition finishes to all the members that have successfully finished the TO4P. It's just a little extra that costs nothing and recognizes in a special way someone's commitment to the project, doesn't matter if they win or not.
We can do that. I am still thinking about a little something more for the winners but I'll keep it under my hat for now.

OI! I have the balls to do it, I just don't know if I have the cash to buy two armies at once or the motivation to paint a million gobbos in green. I suck at painting green and find it my worst colour. If I did this I would do it to the highest quality I could, it wouldn't just be "oh lol, slap slap slap", it'll be proper decent minis and take some real time per mini I tell yee!

If I pick up battle for skull pass I'll do it, if only to take a break from woodies. I figure that will give me a couple of months worth of minis (I'd aim for a unit a month even if that falls short of the total and I have to catch up in the later months with squigs and toys I want lots of).

But hey I have a secret which I shall reveal at the end if I go gobbos :D It will be the most amazing post in the whole contest and win me fame, love and respect. :P
LOL You stick with me mate. I'll make you famous.:D

I sence I am going to enjoy your company over the next twelve months.

I know exactly what you mean. I have been painting my Gobo's in batches of 10 in between other stuff so as not to go bonkers with them.

Would there be anything against posting fluff on the thread, as I have quite a bit about this guard army. Oh, and i forgot to mention, there will be DH allies in case that needs to be added to the list.
No, I think people like a bit of fluff from time to time. I know I do.:D

Just don't write a book!

Norsehawk
15-06-2007, 11:03
Well, I know that one of the months I will be posting a 285 point figure, well, as soon as forgeworld sends it to me at least.

I also am not planning on a full 100% IG army, but more of an Inquisitor's remnants force, if I field the inquisitor or not during any particular game will come down to the points limit for that game. (i.e. he is off fighting on some other part of a battlefield, and not what is being represented in this game)

Catferret
15-06-2007, 11:09
I'd better buy me another Ogre Battalion some time before July. I also need a second plastic Empire Longrifle before I can start my Maneaters(all will become clear in the future). The Maneaters can probably wait until near the end of the project though so I shall try and get the Core done first.

Really looking forward to this now. It's taken my mind off work totally.

Mikari
15-06-2007, 11:48
LOL You stick with me mate. I'll make you famous.:D

I sence I am going to enjoy your company over the next twelve months.

I know exactly what you mean. I have been painting my Gobo's in batches of 10 in between other stuff so as not to go bonkers with them.

I charge £3 a minute and I only communicate via the phone and my hands. You have been warned :p

I'll probably be banned within 12 weeks let alone 12 months though :D

Venomizer
15-06-2007, 12:15
such a thread could be the motivation I need to paint my Necron army up................

what the heck, sign me up, starting in July means I have time to get the hang of my parent's digicam so I can get some decent pics

Mutantdale
15-06-2007, 12:23
Ok this sounds like the motivation I need to get back into painting.

Sign me up for: Fantasy Chaos

MD

MarvyWill
15-06-2007, 17:32
As a recidivist lurker I thought this might be an opportunity to dive in.

2000 pts of Orcs and Goblins it is.

Will

dave3555
15-06-2007, 18:19
Go on then, I'm in.

I'll do a fantasy army.... Looking at the list there are no dwarfs represented in the army's that are being done so... dwarfs it is.

Dave

dave is the best
15-06-2007, 18:25
The list of ones i want to do are:

Chaos,
Brets,
Dogs of war,
Tomb kings
or wood elves.

Dave

schoolcormorant
15-06-2007, 19:03
Brettonians FTW!!! loads of killer cavalry :)

SC

El-Diablo
15-06-2007, 19:14

SC

I don't think I ever want to paint another Brettonian as long as I live, but hey, 10,000 points of 5th ed will do that to you. (I can still hear the screaming...........)

El Diablo

mousekiller
15-06-2007, 19:53
@ HARRY-
As far as prizes go, I have seen on other forums where the admins or whoever will reward the winners with a special avatar or some type of label that well accompany there posts. Just a thought.

Harry
15-06-2007, 20:58
Well, I know that one of the months I will be posting a 285 point figure, well, as soon as forgeworld sends it to me at least.

I also am not planning on a full 100% IG army, but more of an Inquisitor's remnants force, if I field the inquisitor or not during any particular game will come down to the points limit for that game. (i.e. he is off fighting on some other part of a battlefield, and not what is being represented in this game)
285 points one month... eeeaassy next month just 115 points
Don't spoil all the suprises.

I'd better buy me another Ogre Battalion some time before July. I also need a second plastic Empire Longrifle before I can start my Maneaters(all will become clear in the future). The Maneaters can probably wait until near the end of the project though so I shall try and get the Core done first.

Really looking forward to this now. It's taken my mind off work totally.
Buy, buy, buy...
I am looking forward to it myself.

I charge £3 a minute and I only communicate via the phone and my hands. You have been warned :p

I'll probably be banned within 12 weeks let alone 12 months though :D
Mmmmm a new High elf Character or 2 minutes.

such a thread could be the motivation I need to paint my Necron army up................

what the heck, sign me up, starting in July means I have time to get the hang of my parent's digicam so I can get some decent pics
Welcome aboard.

Ok this sounds like the motivation I need to get back into painting.

Sign me up for: Fantasy Chaos
Welcome. Any particular flavour of Chaos? I know you ahve plenty to choose from!!!

As a recidivist lurker I thought this might be an opportunity to dive in.

2000 pts of Orcs and Goblins it is.

Blimey we are even drawing out the recidivist Lurkers with this thread. Most welcome.

Go on then, I'm in.

I'll do a fantasy army.... Looking at the list there are no dwarfs represented in the army's that are being done so... dwarfs it is.

Welcome Dave. I hope it wont cause me problems, Dave, having you, Dave, and Dave is the best, Dave, because if you, Dave, turn out to be the best Dave rather than Dave is the best, Dave, then it could get confusing.
Well, most welcome all the same.

The list of ones i want to do are:

Chaos, Brets, Dogs of war, Tomb kings or wood elves.

We will have that chat and narrow it down next week.

Yay, schoolcormorant. I was going to drop you a line but glad you have found us anyway. Most welcome.

@ HARRY-
As far as prizes go, I have seen on other forums where the admins or whoever will reward the winners with a special avatar or some type of label that well accompany there posts. Just a thought.
I will chat to a friendly mod about it.

Harry
15-06-2007, 21:04
So here is the updated list as it stands now:

A Tale of Thirty Painters!
(In just over 48 hours with 15 days to go till the start date. I have created a Monster. ITS ALIVE!)

Fantasy:

Dave is best : Not Dwarves something else. (Still undecided)
Mikari : Wood Elves
Alex Under : Empire. (Nuln).
Mutantdale : Chaos. (Khorne and undivided)
Marvywill : Orcs and Goblins.
Dave : Dwarfs.
Schoolcormorant : Bretonnians. (Or maybe not?)

40K :

One second of insanity : Death Wing
Arch Traitor Horus : Dark Eldar
Venomiser : Necron
Wolfsbaane : Space Wolves.

Llynus

Mutantdale
15-06-2007, 21:08
I was thinking of Khorne and Undivided. Seeing as I like to paint khorne and will have undivided to fall back too if i need a break from black / red / brass...

all I have to do now is stop myself from painting them all now... hmm maybe some Tzeentch while i'm waiting :p

MD

schoolcormorant
15-06-2007, 21:09
hey hey hey!!! i never said i was in :p

just voicing an opinion!

SC

Mikari
15-06-2007, 22:29
Going to have to go with the wood elves not the Gobbos. Stuff has come up and there is no way I can do all this stuff at once without going completely insane :(

So I'll do wood elves and throw in interesting stuff to make up for no gobbos.

I should point out it's for health reasons not that I couldn't. :)

THE CHIEF
15-06-2007, 23:04
hey hey hey!!! i never said i was in :p

just voicing an opinion!

SC

And now you have to go and buy 2k of Brets ;)

Khrangar
15-06-2007, 23:50
I really don't know whether I should choose Chaos or Orcs. On the one hand, I am redoing my Chaos army, and get to bring it into the new edition and do some cool conversions for my heroes and whatnot that I have planned. On the other, Orcs are an army I haven't done before and like the idea of a Black Orc heavy force.

Please help me decide.

Khrangar

Catferret
16-06-2007, 00:47
Aw man. Now I got to compete with School Cormorant? :eek:

Wolfsbane
16-06-2007, 03:58
Hello all, I love this idea and need it. I've been having a hard time painting up my Wolves recently and I'd like to complete the army.

So I'm going to sign up for Space Wolves. Maybe the first month I'll actually finish painting my avatar....and base it...:eek:

Harry
16-06-2007, 04:15
I was thinking of Khorne and Undivided. Seeing as I like to paint khorne and will have undivided to fall back too if i need a break from black / red / brass...

all I have to do now is stop myself from painting them all now... hmm maybe some Tzeentch while i'm waiting
It is amazing how much this has made me want to crack on with not just this army but lots of painting....we haven't even started yet.

I will add your flavour of chaos.

hey hey hey!!! i never said i was in

just voicing an opinion!

SC
Can't tell if you are joking here?

Going to have to go with the wood elves not the Gobbos. Stuff has come up and there is no way I can do all this stuff at once without going completely insane

So I'll do wood elves and throw in interesting stuff to make up for no gobbos.

I should point out it's for health reasons not that I couldn't.
Thats OK wood Elves it is.

And now you have to go and buy 2k of Brets
No, actually, he's right, those are the rules. Once you have said it, even if you were only voicing an opinion, you are in. I'm sorry there is nothing I can do about it. May I suggest you start with the obligitory unit of Knights. :D

I really don't know whether I should choose Chaos or Orcs. On the one hand, I am redoing my Chaos army, and get to bring it into the new edition and do some cool conversions for my heroes and whatnot that I have planned. On the other, Orcs are an army I haven't done before and like the idea of a Black Orc heavy force.

Please help me decide.

Khrangar
If it were me I would go with Orcs. New book is available, loads of plastic, nice new blorks you know where you stand.
Then do chaos next year. New stuff will have become available, the new book will be on the horizon.
But the best advice is to paint what you are most enthusiastic about at the time you will get into it more and stick at it better.

Aw man. Now I got to compete with School Cormorant? :eek:
Maybe not. He may have bottled it. :D

Harry
16-06-2007, 04:18
Hello all, I love this idea and need it. I've been having a hard time painting up my Wolves recently and I'd like to complete the army.

So I'm going to sign up for Space Wolves. Maybe the first month I'll actually finish painting my avatar....and base it...:eek:

It would be great to welcome you but, just to be clear ....

This is not about finishing a half completed army. This is about starting and seeing through to completion a new army. How much of your wolves army is already painted?

Wolfsbane
16-06-2007, 04:30
It would be great to welcome you but, just to be clear ....

This is not about finishing a half completed army. This is about starting and seeing through to completion a new army. How much of your wolves army is already painted?

1 Grey Hunter.

Harry
16-06-2007, 05:52
LOL. Well your off to a cracking start. "half completed" was a bit of an exageration on my part then.
So when you say "I'd like to complete the army" You mean the other 99%.
I imagine we can allow one little 'test piece'. :D

Your in. I have added you to the list above.

cookiescrumble
16-06-2007, 07:51
I'm in. Probably get my Orcs and Goblins done.

Mikari
16-06-2007, 08:49
Okay so how do we do this. Are we allowed WIP posts or not for example?

Idea 1 : Because there is so many we get our own Tale of painters sub forum in the project logs. Each person makes their own topics, we use them as we see fit except we must update between the 25th and 30th of every month (or earlier if we can't) with the 200 points.

Idea 2 : One big ass topic per game system, posting WIP and each month the 200 points.

Idea 3 : No WIP at all (which IMO would ruin the fun of the project), posting once a month with pics of the 200 points.

I like Idea 1 best, we could even have a sticky at the top of the thread for each system where a mod would copy our monthly posts all together. Sort of a round up of each month all in 1 place so people who lack time can keep up without having to go through those 200 posts of people going "ZOMG SO COOL! I LOVES IT!" and sucking up to everyone that seems to be in every project log :/

Harry
16-06-2007, 09:06
I am leaning towards what was suggested earlier. One big ass thread for us to chat, support, encorage, show WIP if you wish, (I shall be keeping mine a secret:D), discuss techniques, seek help and advice...generally be really sad because we are soooo into this.

Then have another thread which opens at the end of each month on which we each make one and only one post. It would obviously include one or more pics (Max 4) However it might also include a bit of preamble about why you did that unit, what your happy/disappointed with, or background or theme maybe maybe even a bit of literature for those into writing about there characters/units but none of this is compulsory.

What is compulsory is the unit/characters book description, gear etc.... and points costs.

This way there is one thread with the 'edited highlights' on for those who just want to see where we are up to and another with all the other chat on for those who want the full experience.

I am still undecided as to whether we should split 40K and Fantasy.
So the two threads described above would be produced for each system.

A Tale of XX fantasy Painters working thread and also a monthly updates thread.
A Tale of XX 40K Painters working thread and also a monthly updates thread.

The monthly updates thread would be strictly moderated
Once each of the painters had made an entry it could even be locked until the next month. Anything that was not the one and only one post from each painter would be deleted to avoid all ZOMG ETC! and Other chat.
The other thread would be a 'free for all'.

I don't think we should have a thread each look how many painters we have already. I don't want to have to view each thread to see what if anything each person is up to. I just want to read one thread each day and read whats been added since last I looked.

There is nothing stopping people having there own thread for there work. I will certainly be updating my own "This week I have mostly been painting....." thread because, of course, it will include the work I am doing for this project. But maintaining a thread should not be seen as compulsory or even contributing to the 'working thread' (if that is how we do it). If individuals just want to pitch up once a month and say 'here you go guys this is what I have done this month' and then clear off again till next month and have nothing more to do with it that is cool. Different people will have different ammounts of interest and enthusiasm for this project and have different ammounts of time to give to it.

I want the only commitment to remain as stated in the first post...to post (approx) 200 points each month for 10 out of the next 12 months. Some folks will just be using the deadline to motivate themselves and will not have the time or inclination to devote any more time to this and that has got to be fine.

That's what I think but nothing is cast in stone so this like everything else is up for debate. This is one of the things this thread is for.

Mikari
16-06-2007, 09:17
Ah, big thread = I can't be bothered to read all that = we don't get feedback.

Plus 1 person who paints amazingly will completely over run others who don't paint as well for example.

Also didn't they do this before and have a forum dedicated to that? Seems the easiest way.

ashc
16-06-2007, 09:21
Hey guys, this looks really interesting. The best of the 40k ones could easily go in FB5 if people are interested.

Ash

Harry
16-06-2007, 09:32
Thanks for your support Ash. I am sure inclusion in Firebase will be a seen as a 'prize' in itself. Much appreciated.
I hope we produce some good stuff.

Mikari
16-06-2007, 09:36
Ashc why not put a small 1-2 page article in each issue covering the 40k section, like drawing attention to the project? Would also be interesting to have the project discussed every 3 months or however often you release compared to daily updates. :)

Harry
16-06-2007, 09:49
Ah, big thread = I can't be bothered to read all that = we don't get feedback.

Plus 1 person who paints amazingly will completely over run others who don't paint as well for example.

Also didn't they do this before and have a forum dedicated to that? Seems the easiest way.

Some people will not want to read all about it. So won't bother.

If people want individual feedback you are free to start your own log.

Although I can see no reason why there can't be a forum for it if the Mods agree. So all those who want there own thread can start it in the same place. I certainly don't have a problem with this one.

I hope we will all encourage each other. I am sure the better painters will have lots of helpful advice and encouragement for those of us struggelling to improve our technique. I have been specifically inviting some of the better painters BECAUSE they are soooo helpful on their own threads that I think they will bring a lot of support to those of us who "don't paint so well".

That help and advice may not be as forthcoming if each of those painters has to trawl around each project log.

Just because someone is a better painter I don't think it follows they will be more chat about there work. Maybe a few more ZOMG YOU ROXXOR! comments. But maybe not.

On the other hand One thread may get hugely complicated to follow with so many projects being discussed all at the same time.

I think we should get more opinions of 'the group' before we make any decisions on this.

Anyone...what do you think?

Harry
16-06-2007, 09:53
Ashc why not put a small 1-2 page article in each issue covering the 40k section, like drawing attention to the project? Would also be interesting to have the project discussed every 3 months or however often you release compared to daily updates. :)

Thats how I see it working in The Watchman. However, I imagine it will run to considerably more than 2 pages.

Mikari
16-06-2007, 10:10
Thats how I see it working in The Watchman. However, I imagine it will run to considerably more than 2 pages.

Now if only it would play nice with Linux based PDF readers :)

Maybe you should look into the last time this was run Harry, try and copy that :)

THE CHIEF
16-06-2007, 10:12
It's gonna be a bit too crazy without a split isn't it? I say we split into 40k/fantasy.

ashc
16-06-2007, 10:16
Well I would offer to do something but last week i painted my dark elf army and now i have a deathwing army but i may be having that pro-painted for me; my only alternatives are a shadow warrior warband, escher gang, and lotr grey company.

As for what to put in the mag; I would rather not just put the equivalent of the entire logs in the magazine; to me that defeats the objects of the logs or the point of putting it all in a mag.

Ash

One_Second_of_Insanity
16-06-2007, 10:46
i for one would certainly love to get some of my stuff into firebase. i do agree with you ash that it should be kept short and sweet almost like a teaser to get people into our logs etc...

Mikari
16-06-2007, 11:00
i for one would certainly love to get some of my stuff into firebase. i do agree with you ash that it should be kept short and sweet almost like a teaser to get people into our logs etc...

Why not do it as a "top 5 things this month/months in tale of painters". Pick out 5 things that really stand out (be it painting, modeling or concept sketchs) and do a brief bit on each.

spikedog
16-06-2007, 11:21
Well Harry since you are asking for opinions;

I think the best way of running it would be to have a seperate sub-forum where all the threads could be located, however this is the most work for the mods and such may not be possible.

The next best idea would be to have 4 threads, 1 each for the Fantasy and 40K WiP stuff and disscussion and 1 each for the end of the month pictures and submissions.

The final and IMO worst idea is to have just one thread for everything, it will get cluttered with chat and will be very hard to follow.

I think the middle idea is the most reasonable and if painters like myself and others with projects logs already post all their own WiP stuff in thier own logs it will help reduce chat in the main thread for the other people.

ss_cherubael
16-06-2007, 11:42
hey if registration is still open count me in, just due to me being a sucker for punishment...

Im in for 40k, i think i will do flesh tearers, with the new codex just out i want to get back into the boys in red and so this will help i think.

btw great idea guys, i agree that a split between 40k and fant would be the way to go.

ashc
16-06-2007, 12:16

Yes, exactly my thinking.

Ash

McMullet
16-06-2007, 15:19
Ideas, ideas. :)

I think the simplest way to arrange everything is as follows:

Firstly, the large amount of entrants (and the even split between systems) justifies the 40K/Fantasy split. At the moment we're looking at over 15 for each system, which is plenty.

Each system should have (stickied?) thread dedicated to the monthly updates. I agree with Harry that these should be subject to strict guidelines: One post per painter, per month. No other posts of the "OMG R0xx0r!!!!111lolbbq!!!11" style.

There should be guidelines for each monthly post - something like:

No more than 2 photos of 800 by 1000 pixels (or so) to prevent horizontal scrollbars (of doom). Any other pictures could be included as links if required.
A brief description of the month's work.
As Harry says, a description of the units including their points cost, and importantly, a running total of the entire painted army's current points cost.
EDIT: I guess the monthly report should also make mention of the work planned for the next month as well - of course if you decided to paint something different there would be no penalty, but it would be nice to have a plan on show.

I don't see a need for separate threads or a separate subforum - I think most, if not all, of the current participants have one or more project logs already. If people want to look at my WIP progress, then they can look at my own project log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50634). The monthly report could include a link to the painter's project log which should sate those who wish to see WIPs or give feedback.

Wolfsbane
16-06-2007, 16:49
LOL. Well your off to a cracking start. "half completed" was a bit of an exageration on my part then.
So when you say "I'd like to complete the army" You mean the other 99%.
I imagine we can allow one little 'test piece'. :D

Your in. I have added you to the list above.

Yes, test piece, that's what it was. Yes, the other 99% of my army is very grey and plastic.

Mikari
16-06-2007, 16:58
Thought.

What does complete count as?

Painted, based or varnished? :)

THE CHIEF
16-06-2007, 17:08
I'd say to be 'complete' the entire army would need to be fully painted (at least three colours perhaps) and definitely based too. Varnish is perhaps optional as I know people who prefer not to.

Khrangar
16-06-2007, 18:00
I have decided to do an Orc army. As for the basing to be 'complete' I will have to base mine in the fall as my basing stuff isn't with me, so 'complete' for me will be painted but not based.

Khrangar

dave3555
16-06-2007, 18:01
To stop any confusion between the various different dave's that post here, it is probably best to refer to me as dave3555, rather than just dave. :)

dave3555

Killshot
16-06-2007, 20:26
If there is still room, I would like to join in with a Flemish/Norman WAB army.

Catferret
16-06-2007, 20:26
I like the 4 threads idea. Fantasy discussion, Fantasy month end. 40k discussion, 40k month end. Nice and simple. Definitely need the split between systems now though with so many folk taking part.

Huw_Dawson
16-06-2007, 21:02
Question.

If I was not to play any joker cards whatsoever, I could have a 2000pt list with a "side board" of 500pts to exchange for various lists. Is this allowed within the rules.

If so... Sign me up for a 2000pts 0rc and Goblin army.

I also issue a CHALLENGE to anyone. This challenge is to do this competition with a Chaos Dwarf army. This can be conversions or using the old models, but I am reckoning nobody is going to step forward otherwise and do this list, so I thought I might as well lay down a challenge here and now.

Warboss Krakka Stuntysmasha is coming to drink your beer, rip your beards off and nick your Steam Tanks*!

- Huw

PS: No, really. Krakka will be riding a looted Steam Tank as a chariot by the end of it. My "side board" would be mostly chariots. :p

EDIT: I second the idea for a seperate forum altogether, containing individual army topics.

One_Second_of_Insanity
17-06-2007, 00:15
Im with catferret and think that the 4 thread idea is probably the easiest to manage and make it meaningful to all those involved without creating more headaches for the mods.

Harry
17-06-2007, 05:44
Maybe you should look into the last time this was run Harry, try and copy that :)
Didn't realise it had been done before?
Seems to be shaping up nicely to me.
Is there a problem? Normally people at least wait until its running before they have a problem with how I'm running things :D

It's gonna be a bit too crazy without a split isn't it? I say we split into 40k/fantasy.
I think so too. Have done since the start, didn't know how many people we would get. I think I said to McMullet if we got to 12 or 15 for each system we would have to split it. I just wanted to get to hear waht others thought. Give everyone some ownership.

As for what to put in the mag; I would rather not just put the equivalent of the entire logs in the magazine; to me that defeats the objects of the logs or the point of putting it all in a mag.

That was not what I had in mind for either of the mags.

Absolutely. Or some additional information which is Not provided by the logs. We do like The Watchman 'wordy'. Not just a few pics.

Why not do it as a "top 5 things this month/months in tale of painters". Pick out 5 things that really stand out (be it painting, modeling or concept sketchs) and do a brief bit on each.
Why not write articles yourself (when we get going) and submit them to the watch man and firebase. You can be the 'roving reporter'. Contact the painters via PM. Get a bit of background. Collect a few pic's, pull it together into a readable article....one less job for me. :D

Well Harry since you are asking for opinions;

I think the best way of running it would be to have a seperate sub-forum where all the threads could be located, however this is the most work for the mods and such may not be possible.

The next best idea would be to have 4 threads, 1 each for the Fantasy and 40K WiP stuff and disscussion and 1 each for the end of the month pictures and submissions.

The final and IMO worst idea is to have just one thread for everything, it will get cluttered with chat and will be very hard to follow.

I think the middle idea is the most reasonable and if painters like myself and others with projects logs already post all their own WiP stuff in thier own logs it will help reduce chat in the main thread for the other people.
I lean towards the middle option just because if there were say 50 painters that is a lot of logs to look at individually (and post encouragement on). Also without a main thread painters would feel compelled to have and update a their own log and that may not be why they joined.

But I am starting to lean towards the sub-forum idea.
Then if people really want there own logs they can but also (and more interestingly) If anyone wants or to start another discussion topic that spins off this about any aspect of painting, army building or the competition in general they can do that in the same sub forum.

hey if registration is still open count me in, just due to me being a sucker for punishment...

Im in for 40k, i think i will do flesh tearers, with the new codex just out i want to get back into the boys in red and so this will help i think.

btw great idea guys, i agree that a split between 40k and fant would be the way to go.
Your in. Ill update the list.

Firstly, the large amount of entrants (and the even split between systems) justifies the 40K/Fantasy split. At the moment we're looking at over 15 for each system, which is plenty.

Each system should have (stickied?) thread dedicated to the monthly updates. I agree with Harry that these should be subject to strict guidelines: One post per painter, per month. No other posts of the "OMG R0xx0r!!!!111lolbbq!!!11" style.

There should be guidelines for each monthly post - something like:

I don't see a need for separate threads or a separate subforum - I think most, if not all, of the current participants have one or more project logs already. If people want to look at my WIP progress, then they can look at my own project log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50634). The monthly report could include a link to the painter's project log which should sate those who wish to see WIPs or give feedback.
I think the split is a given as we have previously discussed.
I think we should have two stickied threads the monthly updates and the main discusion thread for each system.
You and I can bash out the details of the monthly updates posts via PM
I thought the same about individual logs however as stated above a subforum would mean people could start other discussion topics aswell which might be nice.

So, in summary...
Split the systems, 4 stickied threads and any other threads people care to start in a sub forum.

I will try and find a friendly Mod.....

Thought.
What does complete count as?
Painted, based or varnished?
I know some people like to base the entire army in one go at the end to achieve consisitency so I am not going to have a hard rule on this one for the monthly updates. I don't want to change the way people paint. (That is part of what is interesting.
I think I will be putting up 'finished' (based) minis however. I don't think I can put an uncompleted mini up infront of this crowd!

I'd say to be 'complete' the entire army would need to be fully painted (at least three colours perhaps) and definitely based too. Varnish is perhaps optional as I know people who prefer not to.
Obviously by the end. Everything would have to be based.
I have no thoughts on varnish one way or the other.

I have decided to do an Orc army. As for the basing to be 'complete' I will have to base mine in the fall as my basing stuff isn't with me, so 'complete' for me will be painted but not based.

Ill put you down for Orcs. My thoughts on basing will allow this. You can leave it all to the end if need be.

If there is still room, I would like to join in with a Flemish/Norman WAB army.
Yes indeed. A WAB army would be an excellent addition. Most welcome.

I like the 4 threads idea. Fantasy discussion, Fantasy month end. 40k discussion, 40k month end. Nice and simple. Definitely need the split between systems now though with so many folk taking part.
I think 8 out of 10 painters, who expressed a preference are all pretty much saying the same thing.

If I was not to play any joker cards whatsoever, I could have a 2000pt list with a "side board" of 500pts to exchange for various lists. Is this allowed within the rules.

If so... Sign me up for a 2000pts 0rc and Goblin army.

I have had a similar thought. Some people will be aiming for 2250 points.
So might miss a joker to achieve this. others like a bigger army to choose from so might do extras. Some may just want top paint all the points they have collected for that army...while they are 'at it' so to speak.

This is great and I would like to see all that. Again I don't want to change the way people collect and paint, that is what is interesting...

However, whilst I want to see that posted for ease and fairness for the 'judging', I am going to stick to 2000 points. 200 points for 10 months out of the next 12 months with two jokers. so you must be able to identify a legal 2000 point force within everything you have painted.

Im with catferret and think that the 4 thread idea is probably the easiest to manage and make it meaningful to all those involved without creating more headaches for the mods.
I will just have to chat with the mods and see what they say about a sub forum for other topics or logs.

Harry
17-06-2007, 06:05

A Tale of Thirty six Painters!

Fantasy :

Khrangar : Orcs
Huw Dawson : Orcs and Goblins
Cookiescrumble : Empire or Kislev

40K :

Arch Traitor Horus : Dark Angels (sorry I'm an idiot)
ss-chenbael : Flesh Eaters EDIT : Flesh tearers. (Theres Flesh involved and either way it doesn't sound a lot of fun.)
Sgtknivek182nd : Tau (After a flanking mission he snuck in via PM)
Majin : Marines. (If he is going to pull out at the last minute he will let me know. Which is always polite I think) :D

Undecided (but keen as mustard) :

Llynus

SgtKnivek182nd
17-06-2007, 07:20
Hi harry

did you get my PM as i don`t seem to be on the list ?

Sgt Knivek

Huw_Dawson
17-06-2007, 07:29
Cheers Harry, I can live with that. Essensially your saying "Do whatever you like, but you have to update for at least 10 months and have a legal 2000pt list at the end of it?

- Huw

Mikari
17-06-2007, 09:04
Question.
I also issue a CHALLENGE to anyone. This challenge is to do this competition with a Chaos Dwarf army. This can be conversions or using the old models, but I am reckoning nobody is going to step forward otherwise and do this list, so I thought I might as well lay down a challenge here and now.

From when I first got into Warhammer I've always been a Chaos dwarves fan, but they're raping the fluff and making them a part of Chaos rather than stand alone these days, so why would I bother with a butchered wannabe army? :(

Plus converting every damn model would just get really old, really fast. You'd end up buying a bucket load of springs to make the beards then going "hmm screw this, I'll just make a wooden space hopper and be so much happier!"

Why not write articles yourself (when we get going) and submit them to the watch man and firebase. You can be the 'roving reporter'. Contact the painters via PM. Get a bit of background. Collect a few pic's, pull it together into a readable article....one less job for me. :D

How does no grab you? :P

I can't write to save my life and if I did it would be full of words little kids should not use.

Stop trying to push all your work off onto other people damn it!

Someone else who can write should do it and not connected to any one painter or side. That way it's neutral rather than "Mikari's self whoring article part 3!"

Harry
17-06-2007, 09:28
How does no grab you? :P

I can't write to save my life and if I did it would be full of words little kids should not use.

Stop trying to push all your work off onto other people damn it!

Someone else who can write should do it and not connected to any one painter or side. That way it's neutral rather than "Mikari's self whoring article part 3!"
Well if your not prepared to 'put up'......stop with the helpful advice on exactly what shape the article will take. Whoever, writes it will decide that and its title.

Also:
It took me 5 goes to get an O' level in English (not a very high level).
I have not written anything since school. I can't write worth a damn but I had a go and have had great fun writting the articles I have. If anyone had told me at any point in the years since I left full time education I would be writting anything for fun i would have laughed in their face.

I reccomend anyone to give it a bash and write an article for the Watchman. Pick what it is you are most enthusiastic about and say what it is you like about it. when you write about something you know well and are enthusiastic about it is amazing how easily it goes on the paper.

Also someones got to write it. Jedi and I are involved already I hope Voltaire signs up when he gets back...(might just put him down for orcs and goblins anyway). Thats it. The watchman does not have a staff of thousands.

So if anybody fancies giving it a bash. I am sure it is possible to write in an un bias way.

Majin
17-06-2007, 09:40
I'll put my name down for marines :) And if Im going to pull out Ill let you know before we even start.

Harry
17-06-2007, 09:49
Hi harry

did you get my PM as i don`t seem to be on the list ?

Sgt Knivek

I'll put my name down for marines :) And if Im going to pull out Ill let you know before we even start.

OK edited the above list.

SgtKnivek182nd
17-06-2007, 10:58
Thanks for that Harry ;)

Always a good manoeuvre sneaking up the flanks :D

I would be happy to write a short article for Firebase as to how I approached the project, then follow it up as we go through the process. I donít have a degree in English or anything but Iím sure I could produce something exciting and literate.
Let me know if your interested :)

Mikari
17-06-2007, 12:02
Suggesting things doesn't mean I am the best person to implement them, I can't write to save my life and I don't enjoy it. Nor would it be suitable for someone who is taking part to also be the mouth piece of the project since they cannot be completely fair. :)

McMullet
17-06-2007, 13:07
I think the split is a given as we have previously discussed.
I think we should have two stickied threads the monthly updates and the main discusion thread for each system.
You and I can bash out the details of the monthly updates posts via PM
I thought the same about individual logs however as stated above a subforum would mean people could start other discussion topics aswell which might be nice.

So, in summary...
Split the systems, 4 stickied threads and any other threads people care to start in a sub forum.

I will try and find a friendly Mod.....

I see what you mean - the subforum idea is nice (plus, it will mean I don't have to change the title of my project log AGAIN :p). I hope the mods go for it. ;)

Also it will keep the 40K and Fantasy sides of the project together - which is good I reckon - without getting them too mixed up.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need to bounce any ideas about the monthly reports. :)

Captain_Wolverine
17-06-2007, 14:39
can i get some of this action.

Aenarion
17-06-2007, 15:01
Now, I have been umming and arrrging over this thread. I'm the sort that has my finger in too many pies, and doesn't want to start certain armies until new models are released (HE's etc). Another problem I can envisage for me atleast is the fact that I don't have a job at the moment and the benefit of losing lots of time to university.

However, I think I may well opt for a Thousand Son army, 200 points a month is like a unit? I'm sure even my lazy self could attain that, and to be honest I need a kick up the **** and get something painted so I can beat Fenriz.

Harry
17-06-2007, 15:10
Thanks for that Harry ;)

I would be happy to write a short article for Firebase as to how I approached the project, then follow it up as we go through the process. I don’t have a degree in English or anything but I’m sure I could produce something exciting and literate.
Let me know if your interested :)
Your welcome.
Firebase is nothing to do with me. Ashc is your man but I am sure all contributions will be greatfully recieved.

Nor would it be suitable for someone who is taking part to also be the mouth piece of the project since they cannot be completely fair. :)
Well as i am not "in it to win it" and would consider my self not eligable for any of the awards anyway. (like I would be in the running with some of these guys!) I consider myself fair minded.

If no one else wants to do it. I will just have to put my Watchman hat on and detatch myself from my To4P co-ordinaters head.

Are you sure your not taking this all a bit seriously?

This is just supposed to be a bit of fun to help us get our armies painted.

The Watchman would not be passing judgement or influencing the result. Just adding a bit of commentary and showcasing some of the work. We would try and give everyone a fair shout. Any coverage the watchman does was just going to bit of a bonus. Not part of whats happening here.

If anyone else is really worried about it I can ask Voltaire to stay out of it to do this.
PM me for any Watchman coverage discussion .
I would like to keep these seperate. The one has nothing to do with the other except I am involved with both.

I see what you mean - the subforum idea is nice
Also it will keep the 40K and Fantasy sides of the project together - which is good I reckon - without getting them too mixed up.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need to bounce any ideas about the monthly reports. :)
Could be nice.
Together but seperate. (all at the same time).
I will. (If I get any ideas)

can i get some of this action.
Absolutely.
You are on my list of people to PM to come and join in.
Which army have you got in mind?

Captain_Wolverine
17-06-2007, 15:30
Well gonna buy some BAs so may as well be them, but i also have dwarves, dkok + elysian i could do

Mikari
17-06-2007, 15:34
I'm not taking it seriously, just well aware of painters critical eyes. I may notice the defects in my models where as others can't see them, so if someone paints an amazing mini they may think it's got problems and mot draw attention to it, where as someone unlinked may just see the amazing mini.

Plus I'm bored waiting for the battalion to arrive so I can get working and love being picky.

Harry
17-06-2007, 15:41
Now, I have been umming and arrrging over this thread. I'm the sort that has my finger in too many pies, and doesn't want to start certain armies until new models are released (HE's etc). Another problem I can envisage for me atleast is the fact that I don't have a job at the moment and the benefit of losing lots of time to university.

However, I think I may well opt for a Thousand Son army, 200 points a month is like a unit? I'm sure even my lazy self could attain that, and to be honest I need a kick up the **** and get something painted so I can beat Fenriz.
This is one pie not to miss sticking your finger in. ill put you on the list.

Well gonna buy some BAs so may as well be them, but i also have dwarves, dkok + elysian i could do
i'll put you down for..Blood angels until you tell me different.

I'm not taking it seriously, just well aware of painters critical eyes. I may notice the defects in my models where as others can't see them, so if someone paints an amazing mini they may think it's got problems and mot draw attention to it, where as someone unlinked may just see the amazing mini.

Plus I'm bored waiting for the battalion to arrive so I can get working and love being picky.
Someone send this man a Battalion sharpish. :D

Harry
17-06-2007, 15:43

A Tale of Forty One Painters!

Fantasy :

Sigur : Dark Elves
Destris : Tomb Kings

40K :

THE CHIEF : Deathwing
ss-cherubael : Flesh Biters. With Watch Hinter Allies.
Majin : Marines. (If he is going to pull out at the last minute he will let me know. Which is always polite I think)
Aenarion. Thousand Sons
Captain Wolverine : Blood Angels
Llynus : IG

Can someone tell me is there any 40K army not represented in that list?

Mikari
17-06-2007, 16:04
Someone send this man a Battalion sharpish. :D

Or just push my mail order along the GW UK queue :D

At least I've decided what the final model of my set will be, but that's a long way away and I suspect I'll have given up long before then ;D

Llynus
17-06-2007, 16:33
I don't see Orks or WitchHunters.

Can you put me down for Imperial Guard :D

Harry
17-06-2007, 17:31
Or just push my mail order along the GW UK queue :D

At least I've decided what the final model of my set will be, but that's a long way away and I suspect I'll have given up long before then ;D
I'll bung someone a fiver.
Don't be defeatest. We haven't even started yet. You'll be fine.

I don't see Orks or WitchHunters.

Can you put me down for Imperial Guard :D
Yay! Finally llynus breaks cover and puts us out of our Misery. I'll edit the list.

ORKS!!!! How could I miss those.

Harry
17-06-2007, 17:37
Sigur...I can see you watching...get in there. Be number 40.

Starts to chant....

Sigur, Sigur, Sigur.......

Arhalien
17-06-2007, 17:40
He's gone now Harry :(

Jedi152
17-06-2007, 17:55
I was outbid on a Bret battalion last night, but i'm not going to let it stop me!

sigur
17-06-2007, 18:29
Sigur...I can see you watching...get in there. Be number 40.

Starts to chant....

Sigur, Sigur, Sigur.......

Hehe, after reading this I couldn't resist any more, even more so after McMullet taunted and prodded me on MSN.:p

So....hello guys, may I join in?:) I have about 2000pts of Dark Elves left to paint, maybe some of you know my painting log. The whole idea behind this thing sounds interesting and I really should get at least one WHFB army painted and tournament-ready.

Harry
17-06-2007, 18:39
Yay everybody, Sigur is 'in'.
That makes 40.
Tells us what McMullet said that finally made you give in. :D

sigur
17-06-2007, 18:42
It was something between "hey, go there [link] and join." and "your DE will hate you more than High Elves if you don't paint them...I paint WAY faster than you, newbie....i BET you couldn't do 200pts/month....lol u suk" and such.:(

Destris
17-06-2007, 18:44
Can I still join?

I've finally got my hands on some minis, so if I can I'd like to join in Fantasy, with Tomb Kings. Proviso would be that I need 2 out months, September and October. Harry knows why.

Only going to be TT quality mind, I wouldn't want to go outdoing all of you with my amazing painting.

I wish. :angel:

D.

dave is the best
17-06-2007, 18:48
Only going to be TT quality mind, I wouldn't want to go outdoing all of you with my amazing painting.

D.

Don't worry about quality, its all about finishing a army. Plus you are a better painter than me.

Dave

Mikari
17-06-2007, 18:51
Can I still join?

I've finally got my hands on some minis, so if I can I'd like to join in Fantasy, with Tomb Kings. Proviso would be that I need 2 out months, September and October. Harry knows why.

D.

not all of us are going for display quality. Just good table top in my case with a few exceptions for characters who will be painted up to my very best. :)

to expect the entire army to be display is insane if we're doing this to play with toy soldiers

ss_cherubael
17-06-2007, 18:57
hmm no witch hunters, hey harry put me down for some witch hunter allies (prob just a radical inq and ret but will give me more characters to paint), and as another point: awesome got my army right and whats this...you spelt my name wrong............:( lol
cant wait to get started, this may actually get my lazy **** in gear yay

Harry
17-06-2007, 19:08
Can I still join?

D.
Yay Destris. All the nicest people are coming to this party.
I guess you will have to save your two jokers for those two months or (if possible) get ahead of yourself send me the pics early and I can make a post for you.

Don't worry about quality, its all about finishing a army. Plus you are a better painter than me.

Dave

not all of us are going for display quality. Just good table top in my case with a few exceptions for characters who will be painted up to my very best. :)

to expect the entire army to be display is insane if we're doing this to play with toy soldiers
Well said chaps.

hmm no witch hunters, hey harry put me down for some witch hunter allies (prob just a radical inq and ret but will give me more characters to paint), and as another point: awesome got my army right and whats this...you spelt my name wrong............:( lol
cant wait to get started, this may actually get my lazy **** in gear yay
Just assume at all times you are dealing with an idiot and we'll get on fine.
So Flesh biters with watch hinter allies I have it all straight no Cherub Ale. Leave it with me :D

Captain_Wolverine
17-06-2007, 19:24
when does this thing start?

Harry
17-06-2007, 19:30
Start building whenever you want.
Start painting 1st of July
First post (of 200 points) End of July.

Captain_Wolverine
17-06-2007, 19:32
Thats good won't have BAs until july, have a chaplin in post so he is about 200 points

Mikari
17-06-2007, 19:39
Come on mods get us a forum, 30 project loads will rape the logs forum

Destris
17-06-2007, 19:42
Mikari, that's begging for a sigging.

If you want one, try PM'ing Sylass or the like. I tried asking him for one for the WS Painting Comp, but he said no. Stupid bat. ;)

D.

EDIT: @ Dave, Mikari, and Harry: Thanks guys. :)

Mikari
17-06-2007, 19:45
I know they made a forum for this before. I know they can do it again, we just have to wait or declare invasion on the project forums on the 13th of every month >:D

And no, I'd rather complain, for the last week I've got 2 hours sleep a night, I'm in the mood for a good bit of pointless bitching. :P

Harry
17-06-2007, 19:45
I am already discussing the best way forwards with Sylass.

Please do not all start pestering him. He is a busy man and it will be counter productive.

We have discussed what we want. I will try to get the best deal I can for all of us.

Pointless bitching on the rest of the forum please :D

One_Second_of_Insanity
17-06-2007, 22:33
Harry is it against the rules for me to start undercoating? I'm really chomping at the bit to start this, so much so I starting painting my Tau combat patrol yesterday.

sigur
17-06-2007, 22:47
I'm currently in the process of painting my DE army, but I'll manage to be at the point to start a new unit/character at the 1st of July. The whole plan could be spoiled due to upcoming comissions though.:eyebrows:

THE CHIEF
17-06-2007, 22:54
OK just to avoid confusion, I will not be painting any Eldar - dark or otherwise. My project will be probably 100% Deathwing. The fact that I said 'Dark Angels' seems to have confused Harry! Again!!! :p

Norsehawk
18-06-2007, 03:52
I started a test model of a tank and using the test models I did on some infantry (but never did final touches on anything but an ig sarge) beyond that, I am just assembling and getting things ready, I might if I can get the time to sort thru everything (and get all the stuff stripped that had old paint jorbs on it, and ebay wins)

(you can see the test scheme for the tanks from my current painting log) but its sitting unfinished. If nobody minds terribly, I can add that into my july painting amount, or do it for extra credit (I have far far more than 2000 points worth of IG that need painted, I must have 50-70 stormtroopers/kasrkin alone)

Harry
18-06-2007, 05:18
Harry is it against the rules for me to start undercoating? I'm really chomping at the bit to start this, so much so I starting painting my Tau combat patrol yesterday.
No. I have said earlier you can start building to be ready to go on the 1st of July. Almost everything I have is built and undercoated ready to paint. There is even the odd simple head or weapon swap done. (although in my case No GS work as I am only just starting to explore the possibilities so any additional sculpting will be done once we start).

But everyone will be different. (see below).

I'm currently in the process of painting my DE army, but I'll manage to be at the point to start a new unit/character at the 1st of July.
I have seen. very nice.

In an ideal world we would all be starting from exactly the same starting point. A pile of unopened boxes. (And I imagine this will be some peoples first picture in their logs).

Some are not even in this happy position. I know Jedi for example has nothing yet and is frantically shopping on ebay to scrape together enough models to start painting for the first month.

Obviously as we did not know this is happening everybody will be at different stages.....

Some will have test pieces done.
Some will have the odd unit or charcter painted or part painted.
Some will have done extensive GS work on some but not even have most of the army.
Some will not have a single miniture yet or even the book and will be starting from scratch. etc, etc,

There will be as many different starting points as painters.

I think we must all accept that. We can not expect anyone to start a brand new project just for this.

As long as people do not have a half painted army!
I have no way of monitoring what people do so it must be left to 'trust' and 'honour'.
If everyone tries to enter the 'spirit' of this undertaking. It will be fine.
I trust that everyone who has found or been invited to this thread will try and do just that.

Some people will paint a further 2000 points to something they have already started.
Some people will 'confess' in their comentary that the mini(s) they are posting was started 12 months ago but completed for this.
Some people will apologise that the the first unit they are posting was completed before this officially started because they were already beginning a new army. etc, etc.

All this is OK. I don't want anyone to feel they have to start a brand new army or that they are disqualified from taking part because they have already painted a block of Night Goblins.

Sorry this was a long answer to a simple question.
I was taking the opportunity to express my feelings on this for the benifit of everyone reading.

The short answer to you sigur is you can include your half painted Dark elf chariot (or whatever) in your finished army. IF you can paint an additional 2000 points to what you have done...this is better but if you have intended to collect exactly 2000 points and this chariot (or whatever) is part of that then so be it. (Or 'say la vee' as we say in England :D)
I would prefer to have you in this little adventure with your half painted chariot than not with us.

I hope everybody else is cool with by relaxed attitude towards this. If anyone is going to throw there toys out of the pram at the end becuase someone gets 'picked' for 'best whatever' who already had a bit of painting done before the official start date maybe this is not the right 'competition' for you.

This is a bit of fun to help motivate all of us to get some painting done and a get a completed army on the table.

Cheers
Harry

OK just to avoid confusion, I will not be painting any Eldar - dark or otherwise. My project will be probably 100% Deathwing. The fact that I said 'Dark Angels' seems to have confused Harry! Again!!! :p
I am sorry I am an idiot. obviously at some point when I updated it I copied an earlier incorrect one on which to base it. I have changed it now. Apologies to all 40k players. I have not played 40K since second edition. Things will run a lot smoother for you guys I am sure when we split the threads an McMullet takes over. Please put up with my incompetance for a couple more weeks.

Fantasy guys (and gals?) I am sorry but you are stuck with me for the duration :D

I started a test model of a tank and using the test models I did on some infantry (but never did final touches on anything but an ig sarge) beyond that, I am just assembling and getting things ready, I might if I can get the time to sort thru everything (and get all the stuff stripped that had old paint jorbs on it, and ebay wins)

(you can see the test scheme for the tanks from my current painting log) but its sitting unfinished. If nobody minds terribly, I can add that into my july painting amount, or do it for extra credit (I have far far more than 2000 points worth of IG that need painted, I must have 50-70 stormtroopers/kasrkin alone)

I am sure my comments above answer your question.

You are a perfect example of what I was talking about above and an fine example of the openness and honesty I imagine people will show.

If you can paint an additional 2000 poinnts within the time that would be great. (as you have the models already).

If you want the models you have already started to be part of your 2000 points I hope everyone accepts this and does not have a problem.

This is clearly your 'next' project that you were 'just' getting into. The bit of painting you have done is clearly not some attempt to 'get ahead' or 'cheat' or gain some advantage in the competition (if you are even interested in such things).

Thank you for your post. It was a timely and perfect example of what I was trying to say. If everybody approaches this with the same attitude you have shown in your post this will be a huge success.

El-Diablo
18-06-2007, 09:21
Bravo Harry! Nice to see the project gathering some momentum. I wholeheartedly agree with your point on the starting point of armies - personally im going to be painting a DIY marine force for this and im currently painting a test figure, there's no way im going to jump into 2000 points of marines without doing a test. On the other side of that i've not bought the entire force so there's always something else to add....

El Diablo

Arhalien
18-06-2007, 10:07
Erm, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here, as my current Warhammer plans for August are something like this:
Necromunda gang
repaint some High Elves
200pts of Guardsmen, all with covnerted lasguns and greentstuffed carapce
And the holiday job that will be necessary to get the money to do the project.

What you see above is conclusive proof that I have finally flipped totally and lost my mind ;)

Harry
18-06-2007, 10:10
Check out my project log and feel better mate.

You have only just begun to discover the POWER of the darkside. :D

One_Second_of_Insanity
18-06-2007, 10:26
You guys are definately a bad influence, here i was thinking i was almost done with buying new models. all i have to do now is paint all of them.

Arhalien
18-06-2007, 10:28
Check out my project log and feel better mate.

You have only just begun to discover the POWER of the darkside. :D

'Ulp! :eek:
I'm scared now! :( :eek:

Rich 123
18-06-2007, 10:52
Hello everyone.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this Harry. It's a really interesting idea and I'm definitely up for it!

I just started a project log for my new Night Goblin army, but WFB is also a new system for me so this would be great as a good starting point and to encourage me to keep motivated into unknown waters! That means I actually already half a unit built and converted, but that is barely a blip on a Gobbo horde ;)

I'm afraid I haven't read the whole thread yet, it's very big already, but I have a couple of initial thoughts. I think two jokers is perfect, it doesn't allow people to take the **** with month after month of no progress, but at the same time (as Mcmullet said at one point) it is quite possible to get too busy to just not do anything a couple of times in a whole year.

I also feel that, although extra people is always good, a target of finishing a whole army (be it 2000pts for WFB and 1500pts for 40k for instance) is a great one. A mish-mash of different things is less consistent and a project log of their own seems most reasonable. But a general competition of both 40k and fantasy would be interesting, because I for one would like to see a bit of both in one place. Maybe have separate awards at the end for WFB and 40K. Although I don't think prizes are necessary just the name of the award itself.

Anyway, just registering my interest and throwing some thoughts in.
I'm excited about the new army more than ever now :)
Dicky

ss_cherubael
18-06-2007, 11:50
ok Harry now you are just taking the ****....lol.

Jedi152
18-06-2007, 11:53
Some are not even in this happy position. I know Jedi for example has nothing yet and is frantically shopping on ebay to scrape together enough models to start painting for the first month.
I have enough for maybe a month or two (characters mainly - stuff i wanted to leave until the end...) but yes, apart from that i will be doing this on the fly, mostly through eBay.

If i finish i will post a cost breakdown at the end...

Harry
18-06-2007, 13:47
You guys are definately a bad influence, here i was thinking i was almost done with buying new models. all i have to do now is paint all of them.
Buy, Buy, Buy. You'll thank us in the end.:D

'Ulp!
I'm scared now!
(Best Yoda voice)Mmmmm. You will be. You wiiiiillll be.

Hello everyone.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this Harry. It's a really interesting idea and I'm definitely up for it!

I just started a project log for my new Night Goblin army, but WFB is also a new system for me so this would be great as a good starting point and to encourage me to keep motivated into unknown waters! That means I actually already half a unit built and converted, but that is barely a blip on a Gobbo horde ;)

Anyway, just registering my interest and throwing some thoughts in.
I'm excited about the new army more than ever now :)
Dicky
Most welcome.
Having seen the start you made I can see you are going to bring a lot to the party.
(also so far there was no one dumb enough to take on Gobbos!) :D

I'll add you to the list.

ok Harry now you are just taking the ****....lol.
Moi? (I'll go and change it). What was it again??? Pillow Biters with wee shunter allies?

I have enough for maybe a month or two (characters mainly - stuff i wanted to leave until the end...) but yes, apart from that i will be doing this on the fly, mostly through eBay.

If i finish i will post a cost breakdown at the end...
Don't panic. You'll finish. Cheap stuff will come up on ebay eventually.

Norsehawk
18-06-2007, 13:49
and me, who probably has 4000 points of IG already am bidding on a few people's armies on ebay, won one already, mordians whee, they seem nice and prissy enough to be a part of an inquisitor's chosen.

Harry
18-06-2007, 13:52

A Tale of Forty Six Painters!

Fantasy :

Rich 123 : Night Goblins.
Killshot : Flemish WAB
Unhellig : High Elves
Agraaee : Beasts of Chaos
Jorme : Ogre kingdoms

40K :

Majin : Marines. (If he is going to pull out at the last minute he will let me know. Which is always polite I think)
Aenarion. Thousand Sons

Killshot
18-06-2007, 14:38
Killshot: Flemish WAB army ;)

unheilig
18-06-2007, 16:47
You might have to fight Hastings for them but as your in first.

I have also come to a decision.

I shall be painting High Elves. As it is the next army book out I am already excited about it. So that will get me started. Then a few months in the new book will come out with some new minis that I will be keen to get hold of and paint and that will give me a new burst of enthusiasm to keep going. (Well thats the plan!) :D

Count me in with High Elves as well.

Harry
18-06-2007, 17:17
Killshot your in. sorry in my excitement I forgot to add you to my list.

Unhellig. (Hello again mate). Your in.

List above edited.

Wolfsbane
18-06-2007, 17:34
I believe the list should be alphabetical. :D

ashc
18-06-2007, 17:46
wow, thats a big list! :eek:

I know what I could offer through FIREBASE, and make this into a little bit of a competition too; After the first 3 months I could choose my top 5 40k pieces from the TO44P And those top 5 get a page dedicated to their unit/model and get to write an article about the army and their painting techniques.

thoughts?

Ash

Mikari
18-06-2007, 17:47
Just so we're clear. We can start modeling now for July right?

aggraae
18-06-2007, 17:52
If you still can join ill join with Beast Of Chaos.

jorme
18-06-2007, 18:07
I would also like to join with ogre kingdoms

Harry
18-06-2007, 18:38
I believe the list should be alphabetical. :D
I believe you should bite me. :D

wow, thats a big list! :eek:

I know what I could offer through FIREBASE, and make this into a little bit of a competition too; After the first 3 months I could choose my top 5 40k pieces from the TO44P And those top 5 get a page dedicated to their unit/model and get to write an article about the army and their painting techniques.

thoughts?

The possibilities are endless.
I will be trying to make sure everyone gets a look in and not just the best painted. However as we are quartery there will only be three issues in this time period even now that will be seven or eight armis/painters an issue and we are still growing!
We may have to produce a pull out supplement! :D

Yes. Building is OK.
Your not getting this are you. This is not a competition in the normal sence. You are only really competing against yourself (specifically your motivation to keep painting). There is no referee. There are not even any rules to speak of. Just an idea. That a few people, with similar enthusiasm, can come together, and offer mutual support and motivation.

If you still can join ill join with Beast Of Chaos.
Yes, your in.

I would also like to join with ogre kingdoms
Likewise. I will add you both to the list above.

Is that all the armies except Skaven being done for Fantasy now?
Just skaven to go? Any takers?

Arhalien
18-06-2007, 18:39
Erm, simple question Harry; was this quite the response you were expecting? :p

Rogue 7
18-06-2007, 18:41
And, ah, what the heck, I'll join as #47. Signing up for Tau. I already have ~750 points completed, and am flat broke, but I've got the double whammy of my high school graduation and my eighteenth birthday this week:D , coupled with the fact that I *should* be getting a job or two this summer, and I might be able to pull this off. Yes, I know I have a lot of Tau done, but it took me a year to get this far, I'll commit to 3000 or so points, and I've always liked big armies. My first month's settled- I have a devilfish on the way, plus 6 more fire warriors, for 180 points total. Hopefully this'll give me more motivation than my previous project log.

sigur
18-06-2007, 18:49
Let's see if all this excitement will carry on.:)

PMTN
18-06-2007, 18:55
THAT IS IT. Im joining in. I can't take looking at this thread and not joining in.

I by my sword, decree that i can get 2 armies in the time you give me so put me down for two.

Wood elves
and Necrons

Not sure if i can get in the action doing two, if not i will use Wood elves for the tale.

I am sure it is possible considering the motivation of A-level freedom, and no playable armies. How do you expect me to do this? A perfect paint station outside in the sun and blaring heavy metal is the answer. Despite having 3 holidays lined up (week long each) and enough going out to make Mr.T fall down in a stupor im sure i can do it. I just need the motivation.

Is it alright if i go over 200 points a month? As a c'tan by itself is 300, an he is just screaming to be painted first.

McMullet
18-06-2007, 19:06
Wow, this thread is a beast. It's gone from four to 4 dozen, what's the betting it hits 4 score or 4 hundred...? :eek:

Mikari
18-06-2007, 19:07
Yes. Building is OK.
Your not getting this are you. This is not a competition in the normal sence. You are only really competing against yourself (specifically your motivation to keep painting). There is no referee. There are not even any rules to speak of. Just an idea. That a few people, with similar enthusiasm, can come together, and offer mutual support and motivation.

I get it, I follow! I'm just double checking before I get out my hacksaw and start chewing up pewter!

Starting then :D

It won't. Just watch everyone get bored by August!

PMTN
18-06-2007, 19:23

Well if four people keep painting until they have a full army won't the mission of the thread be achieved. To spread the love of painting! Like some massive internet born hippy/space marine love child.

Arhalien
18-06-2007, 19:26
To spread the love of painting! Like some massive internet born hippy/space marine love child.

Erm, how the hell would that work? A free loving, power armoured, heretic killing hippy with a fondness for saying: "Like, for the Emperor Man, Peace!" in a spaced out voice? Just like this thread! :eyebrows: ;) :p

Huw_Dawson
18-06-2007, 20:58
Hmmmm...

In the interests of keeping my local hobbying area diverse in armies, I've been pushed out of the greenskin camp into something quite different.

I am afraid, therefore, that you will not be seeing (officially) the Steam-Tank-Chariot-Thing, but you will be seeing lots of lovely lovely Dwarves instead. So please would you change my entry, Harry?

And I second the question: Harry, did you honestly think this would be THIS popular?!
- Huw

Harry
18-06-2007, 21:35
Erm, simple question Harry; was this quite the response you were expecting? :p
"Expecting"....No. Quietly, hopefull of ...Yes

And, ah, what the heck, I'll join as #47. Signing up for Tau.
Your in Rogue and welcome by jingo.

The excitement no. (Because there won't be much happening in between monthly posts) But the painting will I think. With this many people involved just think of all the stick you will get via PM if you don't post. :D

I think there will be some excitement at the end of each month to see what everybody has been up to. (Unless everyone has already given it away in project logs).

I am not sure we shouldn't keep it secret until we post it and then drop all the srep by steps onto our project logs retrospectively. I think that is what I will do anyway.

THAT IS IT. Im joining in. I can't take looking at this thread and not joining in.

I by my sword, decree that i can get 2 armies in the time you give me so put me down for two.

Wood elves
and Necrons

Not sure if i can get in the action doing two, if not i will use Wood elves for the tale.

Is it alright if i go over 200 points a month? As a c'tan by itself is 300, an he is just screaming to be painted first.
I honestly can't see any problem with people doing two armies. I am seriously considering doing two for this. (High Elves and Dark Elves)
I can see even less problems with doing one for each system as they will be being run completely independently of each other.

So knock yourself out mate. I will put you down for both.

300 points one month. 100 points the next to try and stay near the targets.

Wow, this thread is a beast. It's gone from four to 4 dozen, what's the betting it hits 4 score or 4 hundred...?
Well we have 50 and nearly two weeks until we start so 100 would be cool.

Dwarves instead. So please would you change my entry, Harry?

And I second the question: Harry, did you honestly think this would be THIS popular?!
- Huw
Changed.

Honestly. As soom as McMullet casually said it. I thought it was a winner.
I know what a huge motivation I have found it to be looking at the project logs of others and what an even bigger motivation it has been reading the interest and enthusiasm shown in my work on my own project log. Having others take an interest in your painting is motivating. Seeing others getting stuff done is motivating. It just made sence to try and 'frame it' in this way.

Also 200 points just sounded so 'do-able' I thought 'everybody can paint 200 points. When you break it down into 200 points its nothing. But do that 10 times and its an army.

I have subsequently thought this is something GW should be doing if they had any sence. Whats going to make people spend money on a new army? Finishing the old army! (In fact I should be working on commision getting you lot to sign up for this).:D

Harry
18-06-2007, 21:39

A Tale of Fifty Painters!

Fantasy :

Dave : Dwarves.
Huw Dawson : Dwarves
Rich 123 : Night Goblins.
Killshot : Flemish WAB
Unhellig : High Elves
Agraaee : Beasts of Chaos
Jorme : Ogre kingdoms
PMTN : Empire
Ladynee : Dwarf redux

40K :

Arch Traitor Horus : Dark Eldar (sorry I'm an idiot)
Aenarion : Thousand Sons
Rouge 7 : Tau
PMTN : Necrons
skidrow : Marines (The chapter with no name.)

Mikari
18-06-2007, 22:20
I think you should do the lits in alphabetical order ;)

I claim first blood! Curse you mutant freak hair that took 3 hours to remove why couldn't you be less weird and floaty!?

Catferret
18-06-2007, 23:43
Holy crud! That's a lot of people! And a lot of great painters in that list too. This is shaping up to be a very interesting project.

Ladynee
19-06-2007, 00:17
Since Unheilig and me live together.

and I since we are planning on teaming up for Adepticon.

I have decided to join in and repaint my dwarf army.

So.. I guess I am in (if you'll have me:angel: )

Woot!

:evilgrin:

-nee

Mikari
19-06-2007, 00:19

So.. I guess I am in (if you'll have me:angel: )

Woot!

:evilgrin:

-nee

Aww come on man, why just repaint an army? Start a new one! :D

It's what, 1 limb a month at GW prices, you can afford that!

Harry
19-06-2007, 06:35
I think you should do the lits in alphabetical order

I claim first blood! Curse you mutant freak hair that took 3 hours to remove why couldn't you be less weird and floaty!?
I think you should kiss my squirrel. :D

And I have no idea what your talking about in the second half of your post.

Holy crud! That's a lot of people! And a lot of great painters in that list too. This is shaping up to be a very interesting project.
Its not a bad little line up is it? :D

We just need to get Razza in now.

Starts to chant again...

Razza, Razza, Razza.

Catferret. if there is any other top notch painters not on that list who we should rope in. Just PM them and invite them to join you. Thats what I ahve been doing. If you don't want to do that Give me a list and I will PM them.

Infact everybody, tell your friends. you don't need to be Golden Demon standard for this to be a great project to get involved in.

So.. I guess I am in (if you'll have me)

We will indeed. Your in.

One more for the half century.

ashc
19-06-2007, 07:33
One more for the half century.

I cannae do it captain.... I don't have the army! :cries:

Ash

Jedi152
19-06-2007, 07:41
Yes, start! As long as you post pics of 200 points being painted between the 1st and 31st of July, you're safe. Harry won't hunt you down ... yet.

Many probably will drop out, such is the nature of these things. Real life will invariably get in the way for some.

Wow, this thread is a beast. It's gone from four to 4 dozen, what's the betting it hits 4 score or 4 hundred...? :eek:
It is indeed a lumbering beast. Have we decided how we'll post all this stuff up yet?

Approximately 9 months 'til Carnage. Who's going to give it the extra push to take their new army...?

Arch-Traitor Horus
19-06-2007, 07:45
Harry u have me down as Dark Angels IM DOING DARK ELDAR THEY DO EXIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angel: lol just making sure u know