PDA

View Full Version : Questing for the Lady! Can Bretonians work?

BigRob
23-06-2007, 07:52
Hello,

During our last Mordhiem campaign we were discussing possible warbands and the general opinion was that Bretonnians were not so good. This mainly seemed to be because of the cost of starting out with horses, armour and other bits that are more fluff inspired than tactical and the 12 model limit.
Having gone over the warband, would this work or is it a "min/max cheese list"?

Questing Knight: Sword, Axe, Helmet 100
Knight Errant: Sword, Axe 60
Knight Errant: Sword, Mace 58
Squire: Axe, Mace 23
Squire: Sword, Mace 23
Squire: Sword, Mace 23

2 Bowmen: Longbow 70

So for 497 I have the maximum number of heroes and models. Taking advantage of the cheap swords for parrys the heroes should be ok in combat and the bowmen add extra missile support. The knights can hide behind the blessing and thier mobile squire shields which can be easily replaced. Early purchases will be weapons for the bowmen (swords, clubs and axes) so they can pile in and helmets for the heroes.

Any thoughts?

Catferret
23-06-2007, 13:41
The 5gc Swords was a mistake and was later erratad. Brettonians have to pay 10gc like everybody else I'm afraid.

As far as the list is concerned it fits the Brettonian theme. A squire for every knight and only henchmen carrying missile weapons. I feel that one of the knights is crying out for a Morning Star and Shield however. I know it's not the best set of equipment in Mordheim but it's very knightly.

BigRob
24-06-2007, 06:17
Thanks for the comment, foolish errata, that was very characterful having cheap swords. Ok, how about

Questing Knight: Sword, Mace, Helmet 103
Knight Errant: Sword, Mace, 63
Knght Errant: Morning Star, Shield, 70
Squire: 2 Hammer 21
Squire: 2 Hammer 21
Squire: Axe, Hammer 23

2 Bowmen: Longbow, 2 Hammer 82
2 Bowmen: Longbow, 2 Hammer 82
1 Bowmen: Longbow 35

Ok, so one bowman down and instead we have weapons on the other bowmen so they can advance with the knights and leap heroically in the way of the foe and just for Catferret, a Knight with a morning star for some serious skull crushing.

Darktheos
23-07-2007, 21:15
I played the Brets through a league. They do ok but if one of your Knights dies you lose 2 heroes because of the Can't have more Squires Then Knights. On the other hand the blessing of the lady is nice. It was just frustrating for me to Play and Have my Questing Knight die and lose a squire to boot.

BigRob
26-07-2007, 15:19
I didnt even think of that, I just inturpreted the rule as being applicable when the warband is created. Thats a major and costly pain, although it will normally be the squires who will be taking the first hits. Maybe hope for the lads got talent for some of the bowmen.

I still can't see any reason to take men at arms though, since they are more expensive and only have a couple more melee options which I wouldnt use.

Kailex
08-03-2009, 06:51
So if a your questing knight dies, what happens? Are you now only limited to 2 Knight Errants and 2 Squires? Can the questing knight be replaced? Curious how this works because this happened to me and we're not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

BigRob
08-03-2009, 08:33
It's a bit of a grey area ruleswise but most people just houserule the undead method, that is, you have to play another game, then you can recruit a new leader afterwards.

Catferret
08-03-2009, 11:23
I've never played with the house rule BigRob suggests. We have always just accepted that casualties are inevitable and follow the rules for Death of a Leader as presented in the rulebook. One of your remaining heroes with the highest leadership takes over as leader and gains the leader skill. It does then free up a hero slot for a henchman who gets Lads got Talent.

In the case of Squires, you would technically lose him as well according to the rules of the warband. However if you did want to use house rules then my suggestion would be to allow one of the squires to earn knight status (not Errant or Questing, just a generic knight title) so you weren't forced to lose 2 models on one bad roll.

mweaver
08-03-2009, 15:12
We have long used the undead method: one game w/o a captain, then you can hire a new one.

If a knight errant dies, and you hire another one before the next game, the original KE's squire can stick around. At least that's the way we see the rules.

Bretonnians are a good warband, but are overcosted in my experience.

dhosek
31-03-2009, 05:39
where are these rules available? they werent listed as a download on the gw site

Velsharoon
31-03-2009, 09:29
and what models would you use for the knights?

mweaver
31-03-2009, 11:28
You can make a good foot night with one of the bodies from the men-at-arms plastic set with a knight's helm added. In my Bretonnian warbands, I have generally used Reaper figures for the knights, though. The Perry brothers also do some nice figures in their "Agincourt to Orleans" range, and additionally they have just announced that they will (at some unspecified point in the future) be releasing a multi-part plastic set of War of the Roses figures.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Catferret
31-03-2009, 11:57
where are these rules available? they werent listed as a download on the gw site

They were in Town Cryer Magazine. One of the early ones, I have it somewhere if I could be bothered to look.

The rules are also here (http://www.mordheimer.com/warbands/unofficial/bretonnian.htm) on The Mordheimer, but note that the cost of swords was errata'd to always be 10gc.

jbone
31-03-2009, 13:41
BigRob,

For some flavor name one of the Squires "Billy Squire."