PDA

View Full Version : Batrep: Imperial Guard vs Tau, 3000 p

CELS
29-07-2007, 04:56
I'll just snatch Hena's lovely format for posting battle reports, seeing as how those are usually quite good :)

Warning: Please take into consideration that my memory sucks. If it wasn't for the fact that I took photos after each turn, I would barely be able to tell you who won. Even with the photos, I had a hard time remembering the sequence of play, so just take everything with a huge pinch of salt.

Rules used
- Experimental skimmer rules
- Tau armylist v. 4.4.1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/guardforce.jpg

Imperial Guard Archaian 24th armoured regiment
Leman Russ armoured company Alfa
+ 2 Hydra
+ Commissar in Vanquisher
Leman Russ armoured company Beta
+ 2 Hydra
1st Storm Trooper Platoon
+ Valkyrie transports
2nd Storm Trooper Platoon
+ Valkyrie transports
Manticore artillery battery
Vulture squadron Harbinger
Warhound Titan, Legio Nemesis

Tau supremacy force
Battlesuit cadre
+ Supreme Commander
+ Gun drones
Armoured Mobile Hunter Cadre I
+ Networked drones
Armoured Mobile Hunter Cadre II
+ 2 Swordfish
+ Skyray
+ Networked drones
Broadside Battlesuit Support Group I
Broadside Battlesuit Support Group II
Pathfinder Support Group
+ 2 Pathfinder Teams
Scorpionfish Support Group
+ Networked drones
Tiger Shark Strike Craft
Tiger Shark AX-1-0
Tiger Shark AX-1-0

CELS
29-07-2007, 04:59
Deployment
The Tau player put his blitz objective in his left corner. The Imperial Guard player put his blitz objective just left of the woods by his table edge. The second objective placed by the Tau was positioned on the far right side of the Imperial Guard territory. Guard responded by placing second objective in the woods barely on the Tau side of the table. Third Tau objective was positioned behind a building on the Guard side of the table, and the third Guard objective was placed on the far right of the Tau side, barely 30 cm away from the Tau table edge.

No forces were garrisoned, and both forces were jam packed along the short table edges, guns at the ready!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/setup.jpg

Turn 1 Ė ďIncoming!Ē
Although the Tau player won the strategy roll, the Guard player was allowed first move. Alfa company immediately advanced, double time. The Tau responded by sending in an air strike, but with great skill or luck, the two Hydras in Alfa company shot down the Tau Tiger Shark AX-1-0 before it reached its objective. Praise the Emperor.
Rolling forward to provide flak cover for the rest of the Guard army, Beta company doubled towards cover ahead. Having just suffered a huge loss in the last ground strike, the Tau advanced tentatively, without air support. The Guard mirrored the careful advance, sending forward their units under constant cover from the four Hydras present. At the end of the round, the Imperial Manticore battery opened fire on the distant Hammerhead Cadre II, covering the Tau formation with a fierce barrage, and destroying a Hammerhead tank.
Hesitant to launch more air strikes, the Tau player decided to end the turn without further adieu.

End phase: The Hammerheads fail their rally roll and keep three of four blast markers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/turn1.jpg

CELS
29-07-2007, 05:01
Turn 2 Ė The plot thickens
Initiative: Tau
The Tau player started out by doubling forward with Hammerhead Cadre II, popping up behind the woods to fire at Beta company. With the Hydraís positioned towards the front to cover against enemy air strikes, they were exposed to ground attacks, and one Hydra tank was reduced to shrapnel along with a Leman Russ tank.
Next, the Guard player made a fatal error in ordering Beta company to march forward, instead of making a marshal or double action. Thus, Beta companyís remaining Hydra was not in condition to fire again until next turn. The Tau player immediately took advantage of this, sneaking his remaining bomber behind Guard lines and destroying two of three Manticore artillery units.

Afterwards, Hammerhead Cadre I fails its action test, and elects to move away from the open desert and hug the walls of a nearby building, whilst also claiming their first objective.
Alfa company continued its methodical advance, double speed, still quite safe from the enemy ground formations. Meanwhile, the Tau rushed forward with both Broadside groups and their Scorpionfish on their left, while the Battlesuit Cadre on the right held its position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/stormtroop.jpg

The Guard Vulture squadron rushed forward, popping up behind a Mechanicus manufactorium to launch their Hellstrike missiles at Hammerhead cadre I, wrecking two Hammerhead tanks.

Against all odds, the Tau player failed to order a ground attack with one of his bombers, even when using the re-roll from his Supreme commander. The frustration in the air was palpable.

Finally, the 2nd platoon Storm Troopers saw an opportunity, launching the four Valkyrie transports of 2nd Platoon forward towards Cadre II and the Pathfinders. The Valkyrie transports opened fire with all weapons, covering the enemy formation in a hail of fire from rockets and multilasers. One Devilfish transport was destroyed, along with one of the Pathfinder squads it held.

The Pathfinders promptly retaliated by opening fire against any enemy units within sight, and although most of the Storm troopers were concealed in the woods, one unit of Storm Troopers was destroyed, along with their Valkyrie transport.

End phase: Imperial Guard fails all rally rolls. Hammerhead Cadre I successfully rally, Cadre II fails their rally roll again, while Pathfinder formation successfully rallies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/turn2.jpg

Turn 3 Ė Cry Havoc!
Initiative: Imperial Guard
Finally in range of eachother, the opposing armies collide in the third turn. First off, the Imperial Storm troopers move into position to engage the Tau pathfinders, destroying a portion of the enemy formation, and causing the pathfinders to break and retreat. The Tau respond by launching two air strikes against the vulnerable 2nd Platoon Storm troopers, successfully breaking the formation. The Storm troopers take cover behind the woodland, while a single Valkyrie moves back to the Manufactorium.

The fighting continues as 1st Platoon launches over the building ahead, descending on the four remaining tanks of Hammerhead Cadre I. Deploying from their transports, the Storm troopers immediately engage in bloody close combat under cover from the Valkyries. Surrounded and outnumbered, the Hammerheads quickly perish.

The Tau are ruthless in their counterattack, opening fire with their fearsome Scorpionfish at the exposed 1st platoon, successfully breaking the formation and forcing the Valkyrie transports to withdraw with what remains of the Storm trooper infantry.

The Guard player attempts a double action, hoping to deploy his Vulture squadron behind the Tau Hammerhead Cadre II, but fails, and thus the Vultures redeploy in amongst the ruins. Broadside group I attempts to move forward to engage Alfa company, but also fails its action test.

Beta company rushes forward, opening fire against Broadside group II, inflicting moderate losses, but failing to break the Tau formation.

Finally, the Tau Battlesuit Cadre doubles forward to destroy the broken 2nd platoon Storm Troopers, and easily accomplish their goal.

End phase: Both storm trooper platoons fail their rally attempts. Beta company and Vulture squadron successfully rally. The single Manticore remains broken. Broadside group I fails to rally, group II successfully rallies. Tau player successfully rallies Pathfinders, Hammerhead Cadre II and Broadside Cadre II, but fails to rally Broadside Cadre I.

Imperial Guard has not achieved any mission goals, whereas Tau have only successfully prevented enemy formations from reaching their side of the table. With only a 1-0 score, the game continues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/turn3.jpg

CELS
29-07-2007, 05:02
Turn 4 Ė Total war
Initiative: Tau
Finding the Battlesuit cadre in a vulnerable position, the Tau player begins by moving these to claim the objective within the woods. Next, Beta company moves forward to engage Hammerhead Cadre II. Several Hammerhead tanks are destroyed in the attack, and the Tau formation is forced to retreat.

Tau Broadside Group I advances and opens fire on Alfa company, destroying two Leman Russ tanks in their attack. Alfa company immediately advances and returns fire, crippling the Tau Broadside formation.

The Tau Scorpionfish goes on overwatch to disrupt any further Guard advances, and is immediately rewarded as the Warhound Titan emerges from cover. However, the Scorpionfish fails to penetrate the Warhoundís void shields, and so the Warhound continues its double advance, coming into range of Broadside group II. In a withering hail of bolter shells and plasma fire, the Broadsides break and retreat.

The remaining Tau Tigershark AX-1-0 makes a ground attack against the Warhound, but is also unsuccessful in damaging the Titan.

At this point, the Tau player realises that the battle is lost, and a victory is declared for the Imperial Guard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/CELS83/Epic/turn4.jpg

Conclusion:
I played Imperial Guard this game, and after having my ass handed to me on a plate a few times, I think Iíve figured out how to use my army by now, against the pesky Tau. For one thing, Storm Troopers in Valkyrie transports are excellent shock troops, as long as you donít use them to charge headlong towards the enemy without air support. Furthermore, Iíve learned that if youíre not in a good position to achieve mission goals, itís better to just screw things up for your opponent rather than coming up with some desperate plan to grab objectives and what not. As the Tactica Imperium probably says; when all else fails, just kill the enemy. Iím really bad at making up complex strategies on the spot, so since I didnít have anything planned, I just decided to inflict as much casualties as possible.

Itís hard to say what the Tau player did wrong exactly, to lose the game. One thing that did surprise me, though, was the fact that he hardly used the dangerous pop-up overwatch ability of his Hammerhead formations and Scorpionfish. Normally, itís very difficult to close on the Tau when they combine rapid first turn advancement followed by constant overwatch and long range, but this wasnít a problem in this game.

So, in conclusionÖ Iíve been worried that my somewhat unusual army composition isnít very good, but Iíve come to realise that it can work alright if handled with care. At least against Tau armies with lots of expensive units.

Hena
29-07-2007, 07:46
I haven't yet read the report. But for remembering things, I can point to you a nice record sheets done by Chroma on TacCom. Those should help :).

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=9603

Crube
29-07-2007, 09:53
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Great maps - sounded like a decent game :D

Hena
29-07-2007, 10:28
Interesting battle for sure. What was the size of the field? As the tight (short vs short instead of normal long vs long) table gives some advantage for gound AA as well IG as Tau cannot play maneuver game that well.

Darkhorse
01-08-2007, 11:11
Imperial Guard Archaian 24th armoured regiment
Leman Russ armoured company Alfa
+ 2 Hydra
Leman Russ armoured company Beta
+ 2 Hydra

Good BR.
One point; you're only allowed one of each type of company upgrade.
ie. One Hydra per armoured company.

Moscovian
02-08-2007, 16:02
Great batrep. What made you play the long ways on the table as opposed to the short ways. Do you think that playing the short ways would have benefitted the Tau more?

CELS
02-08-2007, 17:08
I haven't yet read the report. But for remembering things, I can point to you a nice record sheets done by Chroma on TacCom. Those should help.
Thanks, maybe I'll use those next time :D

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Great maps - sounded like a decent game
Cheers. It was that, yeah :)

Interesting battle for sure. What was the size of the field? As the tight (short vs short instead of normal long vs long) table gives some advantage for gound AA as well IG as Tau cannot play maneuver game that well.
The table is 118 x 213 cm, which is approximately 4 x 7 feet. We haven't really played too many games yet, and only one deploying from long table edges, but the concern was that using long vs long would mean that our units would get in range too fast (and the advantage of long range weapons would be negated).

Good BR.
One point; you're only allowed one of each type of company upgrade.
ie. One Hydra per armoured company.
Oh damn, you're right. I hadn't noticed that before. I haven't been playing this game very long, so I keep noticing new stuff all the time. Hmm, that'll really make a difference in future games, I think.

Great batrep. What made you play the long ways on the table as opposed to the short ways. Do you think that playing the short ways would have benefitted the Tau more?
Thanks! I haven't really had enough experience to answer that yet, but it certainly seems possible. On the other hand, it would have been much easier to get my storm troopers into assaults if we played long vs long. Furthermore, when we play from the short edges, I rarely get around to using the Leman Russ' lascannons and (especially) heavy bolters, because most firefights take place at such long distances.

Again though, I haven't played too many games, so I'm still learning :)

Hena
03-08-2007, 04:44
The table is 118 x 213 cm, which is approximately 4 x 7 feet. We haven't really played too many games yet, and only one deploying from long table edges, but the concern was that using long vs long would mean that our units would get in range too fast (and the advantage of long range weapons would be negated).
It's just that the game is designed to play with long edges (or corners). So changing the field to opposite will give boost to slower armies with long range (for example IG) and hurt maneuverable armies (for example Eldar, Tau). In future I'd try to play the long edges (or corners) :).

CELS
03-08-2007, 05:21
Unfortunately, my army isn't really a typical one as far as IG goes, as I tend to have lots of Valkyries and Vultures, and I also like to have at least one Warhound, so my army is rather fast with a short/medium range, except for the Leman Russ.

Anyway, we're still experimenting. The other day I tried a couple of infantry companies for the first time, which was interesting. I'm also becoming very fond of having an artillery battery / company. I'll let you guys know what happens next, as I post my second battle report in maybe a few weeks. Hopefully, more actual pictures and painted models by then :)