PDA

View Full Version : Modular City of Death

aenimosity
29-07-2007, 08:29
Gday.

I've been lurking on these terrain forums for a while now, and I've been inspired to make my own CoD table. I'd always intended to make it modular, but Davor's table sealed the deal.

So... My older brother had already purchased 3 ruined buildings from GW. The next step was to figure out the modular side. I can't remember who posted this, but they talked about making their own modular table with isorel. A little research found that in Oz it's called masonite. A quick phone call to Readycut/Sizewise and i had 16 12" x 12" squares on their way. (just a note: they must've ended up with a piece that was too small for them to get rid of, so I got 2 extra pieces for free :))

Not much REAL planning has gone into this project apart from that. I've taxed a few ideas from people (got my pipe square idea from Davor) and changed ideas before I got to them.

Anyway, 18 squares all up:

4 buildings
5 drain/aquaduct
1 pipe
1 refinery
4 road
2 rubble
1 road with rubble

I'm also making 3 sets of 3 tank traps (corks on plasticard) And movable rubble piles and craters on cds.

Materials:

Clumping cat litter (from coles) $18
2 bags of ez water $50
4 buildings $190 :eek:
2 tubes of polyfilla $34
Assorted plumbing stuff $25
Masonite squares $55 (including gst:))
PVA glue $15
1m x 1.5m foamcore $10
1m x 1.8m plasticard $8
Roughcoat $24
Assorted spraypaint and primer $20

The look on my face when I realise exactly how much we've spent so far and we're not even finished... I'd say priceless, but it's more: :cries:

So now that I'm depressed here's a few pics:

Daniel36
29-07-2007, 11:07
Don't know how masonite works, but perhaps you could try drilling in streetcurbs (My english is failing me).

To see what I mean, this is our table :
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75247

This way your tiles always connect, and it looks pretty neat too! (At least I think so!)

Good luck with the project! You haven't been sitting still from the moment you got your masonite, so I take it you're really going for it! Keep up! Cities of Death stuff is awesome!!!

aenimosity
29-07-2007, 12:21
You haven't been sitting still from the moment you got your masonite, so I take it you're really going for it! Keep up! Cities of Death stuff is awesome!!!

Not entirely true hey. I have been a bit slack since I got the masonite. I recently bought a lizardman box set, and told myself that in return I'd finish all my dire avengers. This has sortof evolved into getting stuck into my fire dragons, city terrain and also to get started tonight: swooping hawks.

I've basically taken stock of all my 40k gear and realized I'd better pull my finger out or I'd end up selling it all on ebay. :( Not what I intended when I got interested in the hobby.

So basically by the end of the week I'll have all the squares ready to be painted. (guess what I'm doing on the w/e :))

And yes CoD stuff is cool. :D

I've looked at your sidewalks, but I don't think that would work too well with the masonite. If I was to achieve something similar I'd have to use plasticard. And after all the stuffing around I did with plasticard to make the bridges want to use it as little as possible.

Oh. And here's a little something else I have been working on lately. I'd previously made a mixed CC/shooty fex for my nid stuff and thought it was a ridiculous waste of points. So a little cutting and drilling lopped off 3 arms. And I've decided to make a completely CC fex. Not very viable but I'm still gonna use it in a few games. (And I'm so damn proud of my first proper conversion :D) The last pic is the closeup of the conversion.

aenimosity
30-07-2007, 23:29
Hokay. Didn't get much done yesterday, but while I was eating brekky this morning my boss rang up. He's too sick to work! Which means I don't have to work! So it was a bit of a struggle not to go back to sleep. ;)

Anyway... Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time dicking around. Changed the oil on my car and did a minor service on the piece of junk... And got an idea. A little scrounging around found me an even bigger one. (I love living on a farm sometimes) These oil filters will make pretty sweet cooling towers.

I also managed to cut out a shack-like building which will hopefully be getting finished today. I also measured out the road squares (not realising until I'd finished that I'll have to tape them when I spray them so as to not lose my markings) and started work on the tank traps.

aenimosity
31-07-2007, 03:53
Lunch time!!

So got a few things a little further along. Assembled the last of the CoD buildings and put together the shack as well. Decided that the shack would have been captured by orks and modified. Read: I'm going to put plasticard all over it. And rivets. LOTS of rivets. I'm also going to use a stencil to spray an ork glyph on the cooling tower. So this will be an outpost for my brother's orks.

Added stones to the pipes, and sprayed glue on a few rubble piles. Next up is a final touch of polyfilla on the aquaduct squares in preparation for the sand-papering they'll be getting tomorrow.

I've put everything together to see how it looks and it's not too bad. Something I didn't count on (how I don't know) is that the bridges on the aquaduct can be counted as road. Which means I could possible change 2 road tiles into something else. Or I could more probably be lazy.

And now that you'll be able to see some progression in the project... Pics:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/01.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/02.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/03.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/04.jpg

You can only really see the corner square of road, but using the 3rd pic as reference it goes from the bottom-most square, over the bridge, turns right and heads straight to the tile with the spare rubble tile on top.

The 2 buildings that are side by side are going to be able to form a single larger building too. (stole that idea from someone here too)

So still to go, I've got movable rubble piles and craters to get started, the ork shack to finish, rubble at the base of 2 buildings, dobs of polyfilla with rocks and crap to make the ground a little less flat, and rubble and pipe to add to sections of the road as well as some sanding.

I should be on target to start painting on the weekend. Fingers crossed anyway.

WIP shot of my falcon while I'm at it:

Dav0r
31-07-2007, 07:02
The beginning of an adventure ... ;) It seems to be starting well.

Good luck !

aenimosity
31-07-2007, 13:13
Haha. Cheers mate.

I just realised on the drive home from work that I have to cut about as much sprue again as has already been cut. :(

That's a lot of rubble to look forward to but it takes forever. Ah well. Even Rome wasn't built in a day eh? ;)

I've just gotta remind myself that every day I work on the damn thing is a day closer to putting that water into the aquaduct and playing the first game. (even though I'll probably cheat and have a game b4 painting is complete :D)

More to come after I pick papaws tomorrow.

Daniel36
31-07-2007, 15:17
I'd still say you're not sitting still! ^_~

Good work! It looks really promising! I do have a couple of tips you MIGHT want to take in consideration. They work well for me!

For the Manufactorum : Put some stuff in it, as if it served a real purpose. I find many Cities to be quite full of buildings that are basically just shells. There's really sweet stuff at most DIY stores that have cool things (like the electrical boxes) you can place in, fiddle a bit with and paint to look like tankards. Easy stuff. Also for all buildings, some drinking straws or whatever as piping make your buildings come alive a bit more.

For all buildings : Visualise how the building collapsed. The CoD boxes only give you "half" a ruin. As much as bombs can destroy a building, even a tiny bit of wall will always stand up all the way around the building. You can off course keep a couple of spaces "flat", as tanks drive through the rubble, but think about it.

For your sanity : Now I know this next tip is a hard pill to swallow, but trust me, it works. What you should (or could) do, is put everything bar 1 segment away, where it's not in your field of vision. Finish one segment completely, and only then go for the next one. You will find that sticking with 1 small project at a time will significantly speed up your work! It's hard, I know, but you'll be glad for it! Why? Once you finish one piece, you see the result, get excited, and finish another one far quicker. Otherwise it will just seem like a neverending struggle to finish. But I am ranting now. It looks great so far!

aenimosity
01-08-2007, 03:48
Woof.

Just had midday snooze after lunch. Time to get stuck in for a couple hours.

Daniel36: When you say a tiny bit of wall will stand up around demolished buildings did you mean leave a section of wall tiles standing? Cos we don't have any left. (except for a couple pieces for the administratum)

I have however left straight sections of rubble where the edge of the buildings was as well as a little rubble inside that. For the 2 buildings that can be 1 big building, I'm doing that as well as an even bigger heap on the connecting sides.

As for finishing 1 piece at a time, I'm actually having a lot of fun doing it all at once. A lot of the squares require similar things as each other, so it's easy to do it all at the same time. We'll see how long I keep that attitude though. ;)

No progress so far today, but the aquaduct should be sand-papered and each piece sitting flush, as well as a crapload of sprue cut up for rubble by the time I head to work.

aenimosity
02-08-2007, 04:57
Gday again.

Not too much noticeable progress today. Mostly just prep work for tomorrow.

Bought a pair of secateurs before work yesterday to cut sprue (cutting it with clippers makes your arm SORE) and they work like a charm. Made more than three times the amount of rubble in about half the time.

Added a few bits and bobs to the CoD buildings, glued the last CoD building to it's base and put down foamcore as the base for rubble piles on that tile. Added a crater and the start of a rubble pile to 2 road sections, and did this to the next 2:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Roadrubble1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Roadrubble2.jpg

Together they make this:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Roadrubble3.jpg

I also put the final touches on the bridges:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Bridge1-1.jpg

I've thought about adding criss-crossing strips of plasticard in between the strips that are already on it, something like this: | |X| | With about 3 X's along the length of the bridge if that makes sense. What do you reckon? I'm leaning towards no because I want this project completed asap. That way I can finish within a week or two and get stuck into finishing the rest of my eldar so I can actually play a game.

You can see the movable tank traps in front of this bridge. They're made of corks and don't look so flash because I'm lazy. After this is finished I'll track down some insulation foam and do them properly. At the moment they're just a quick solution to be playing soon.

Anyway, I promised a mate I'd go round to his house to play halo so I've gotta cut todays session short if I want to visit him before work.

Astador
02-08-2007, 05:09
Great looking table! I'm about to start on my own for Apocalypse! I have to make the streets wide enough for a based Titan and Flyers to fit on! haha

aenimosity
03-08-2007, 05:14
Hey good luck Astador... I might not see a titan on this table, but the roads and bridges are wide enough to accomodate a baneblade quite comfortably. ;)

No pics today. Just retouched rubble piles and added a demolished wall for the administratum (cheers Daniel), as well as finishing the road sections. I've also glazed glue over everything that could fall off in preparation for priming tomorrow.

I don't think as much progress will occur over the w/e as I would like. I've got some real-life stuff to do that will probably be taking place over both days for a large portion of each day. But at least the first coat will be down on everything, and I can focus now on each piece of terrain for the paint job.

So that's it for the construction part of the process. Still on target too (not that I have a schedule or anything, just setting myself vague objectives every couple of days).

firestorm40k
03-08-2007, 07:42
I also put the final touches on the bridges:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Bridge1-1.jpg

That bridge looks great, I hope you won't be offended when I make some based on your design fir the urban stuff I'll be making soon... ;):D:cool:

Daniel36
03-08-2007, 08:10
Hey dude, good progress!

When I meant a small bit of wall is still left standing, I actually meant "take some foamcore or cardboards with the same thickness, about an inch high, as if those were wall sections too. To hide the fact that they don't have any texture, throw a lot of rubble and flock around it, but at least have some height, get it? That way it doesn't seem like a team of cleaners came and took all the destroyed walls away :D

Anyways, keep up, you're doing a great job!

One_Second_of_Insanity
03-08-2007, 08:15
Looking really great, should be a nice terrain set when finished

aenimosity
04-08-2007, 03:28
Cheers guys.

The priming will begin as soon as I've finished this post!

Ta for the advice Daniel, I've already got something similar for the base of the buildings though. I think you saw the pics a little while back when two of the buildings hadn't had rubble thrown onto them yet. They all look like this now:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/CoD4.jpg
(product placement for Uncle Tobys... YUM!!)
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/CoD2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/CoD1.jpg

And what I thought your advice was:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Cod3.jpg

(the cleaners have managed to get rid of a little of the mess with that one. ~_^

Everything's getting primed grey (cheapest primer I can find) So all the rubble will be getting a black wash tonight. I figured the ground would be cement with the odd brown dobbing to represent dirt. Road'll be black, as well as the buildings and bridges. Aquaduct will be a murky green where the water goes and plain grey along the edges.

Wish me luck. More tonight.

aenimosity
04-08-2007, 08:11
Primed.

Washes start after dinner tonight. I'm hoping to have the rubble piles half completed before tomorrow. After that work will start on the road sections, then the aquaduct, and finally the buildings.

Since the picture 2 CoD buildings have been sprayed black, as well as the road.

I'm guessing that I'll have everything but the buildings done by next w/e. After that I can continue with my eldar... sigh.

Nothing fancy in the pics. It's just everything primed except for the ork outpost, (stupid me forgot to put glue on the exposed foam, but at least I remembered before it got sprayed) but that can wait. I have enough tiles started to be able to play on a fully painted table without it. All I need is the fully painted army. ;)

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
04-08-2007, 09:47
Not bad at all, keep up with the good work.
Man. all those rubble piles must have been the hardest work ever.

aenimosity
04-08-2007, 11:50
Thanks Veritas, will do.

The rubble piles were actually pretty easy. Just slice out a vague shape with foamcore. Cover it with putty (i used 2 tubes of polyfilla all up... not just for rubble piles but also for filling work on the bridges and to make the slope on the aquaduct) and pour cat litter on top. Press that in and do the same with pieces of cut up sprue. Mix up some pva with water, put it in a spray bottle (like an empty window cleaner sprayer) and go to town. Wait about half an hour and hit it with the glue again and add more cat litter and sprue, then spray it one last time and you're done. Just make sure you give it a good rinse or you'll only be using it the once. :D

Some of the rubble piles on this table are 3 or 4 layers of foamcore glued on top of each other. Bugger trying to make those big ones out of pure sprue!

The rubble under the busted pipe is just gravel out of the driveway.

I'm heading to my brother's place now to try to coerce him into giving me a hand with the painting side of the project. After that I'll do those washes. For now I've had to assemble the city once more just to show myself how far along I've come. To me it already looks fantastic, so putting on a coat of paint will have me grinning for about a month afterwards.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/setup3.jpg

If anyone in Oz is thinking of doing something similar, grab some polyfilla. That stuff is the shindiggity.

Slobomeister
04-08-2007, 16:44
Looking good, I say. Cool pipeworks.

Daniel36
04-08-2007, 23:16
Looking great! You're really going all out! My project has been put on hold for a while (due to my army needing some paint! :)) but I am getting back to that in a couple of weeks. You on the other hand are going fast as ever! Keep up!

I can't wait to see them painted up! Question though... Would you mind putting some of your miniatures around it and take a picture? Just because it looks cool? :D I would like to see some of your models as well! :)

firestorm40k
05-08-2007, 07:33
Really nice work, I especially like the rubble piles! :) :cool:

N810
05-08-2007, 14:45
Nice Rubble.

Dav0r
05-08-2007, 15:31
I double that. And I will shamelessly steal the rubble method once I'm back home, in about a week :)

Keep up the good work !

aenimosity
06-08-2007, 03:50
Hey thanks guys.

Davor:

Feel free to shamelessly steal, I've already cheerfully flogged your pipe idea.

Daniel:

Well, you asked for a few shots of miniatures in the city... I only have fire dragons that look remotely finished on me at the moment. They're still WIP and need a good cleaning up as well as a final wash with grey medium. Plus the gems need finishing and they need basing. Basically, they don't look so flash. Give me a couple of days and I'll grab my scorpions from my brother's house and get some shots of them. Meanwhile:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Dragons1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Dragons2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Dragons4.jpg

The camera I'm using is my mum's, and it's a fairly automated camera. I'm sure better pictures could be squeezed out of it, but I'd have to read the manual... Not gonna happen. It sucks because she can always take pretty good pictures with it.

Anyway, the weekend saw a bit of dirt added to the ground and the rubble piles, as well as the first coat of sludgy green for the aquaduct. Today the final buildings are gonna get sprayed black, and so are the bridges. I'm also gonna run over everything else with a lighter grey.

Pictures will probably come a little slower for the next week. We'll see. I'm gonna get a bit more progress done on the swooping hawks today too. They're going to be a dark scheme with black and white inner feathers, and a gradient of black upwards to white on the outer feathers.

Something like this crappy picture:

aenimosity
06-08-2007, 06:20
Painted the bridges, drybrushed 2 buildings, heading to work.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Drybrushedbuilding2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Drybrushedbuilding1.jpg

I think I'm probably gonna get the buildings finished first. :)

One_Second_of_Insanity
06-08-2007, 07:23
Looking good, are you going to use any contrasting colours to bring out the buttresses etc? Nice overall composition though

Daniel36
06-08-2007, 13:16
Stuff rocks man! The miniatures look cool btw! I always feel cities come to life with miniatures in them! Thanks for the trouble!!

Buildings are starting to shape up nicely! Like One_Second suggests, use contrasting colours, it will make the buildings look better... But I am pretty sure you were going to do that anyways! Keep up!

aenimosity
09-08-2007, 05:17
Gday again.

Cheers guys. Will be picking out details in metallics, other than that no real plans. I didn't get anything done yesterday, I spent almost all my time between jobs writing an application for another one. Hopefully if I get the new one I can drop the two I already have. :)

But there is that to say for this project; because I don't have much free time during the day, procrastinating ceases to be an issue. I've got it in my head that I need to get stuck in straight away, so progress is fairly constant.

No pics today. The buildings are all drybrushed now. Rubble piles are finished. Everything has the same grey cement look to keep the tiles looking the same. Bridges are finished too. I've also gone back over the road with black to make it stand out more.

I still need to touch up the lamp-posts, make a lighter green on the walls of the aquaduct and detail the buildings.

So yeah any pics I could have taken would look fairly dull still. :p

Still on track to have this finished/close to finished by the end of the w/e. Whereupon I will start a new project log for my eldar army. :D (and when that's done I'm going to write a badass battle report... wee!)

Btw... If anyone who reads this thread could give any advice on resin water they'd be much appreciated. (stuff like how to seal the ends of the aquaducts properly and inks and so on) That's the part of the project I'm most apprehensive about, and it might be getting done this w/e if I have the time. I'm using woodland scenics e-z water

N810
09-08-2007, 05:27
Thats some mighty fine lookin' dry brushin'.

aenimosity
10-08-2007, 02:38
Haha. Thanks N810.

Not a real update. A couple of points:

Don't have to work on the farm today, and I have tonight off work as well to look after my little brothers. Woot! That means plenty of time painting. Finished pics of the buildings will be uploaded tonight.

And is there anyone who has experience with resin water? I'd really like some advice on this.

Daniel36:

I said I'd grab my scorpions from my brother's house. Well before I start messing about taking pictures of them in the terrain I have to seal the little buggers. They're finished apart from painting and flocking the base. They're also a little sloppy, but I'm still pretty damn happy with them. So here's a preview of them. (exarch has only been basecoated)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Scorpsline.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Scorp1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Scorp2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/scorp3.jpg

So those finished building shots will have scorpions inside them. Hopefully you will enjoy.

These pics show the backs of a couple and you can really see how sloppy they are:

N810
10-08-2007, 03:07
I believe Wolfscout Ewan Has a little experience
in the fake H2O department.

aenimosity
10-08-2007, 09:46
Wow. I'm so lazy. I've hardly done anything today. Incidentally the movie Mystic River is quite good. So is the new album by Broken Toy. :rolleyes: I was all for getting the buildings finished today...

So they will be done by 12 tonight I swear. ;)

Meanwhile here are some pretty(ish) pictures:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/scorpionbuilding.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/scorpionrubble1.jpg

You can see from the picture of the building that the lamps and leafy looking things on the balcony need doing. Apart from that I'm too lazy to add anything else. I'm still wondering if I should do something with the wall sections with the heap of skulls on them. Wish I'd left the lamps off now. They're a bit painful to do. It'll probably take another hour of solid work to finish the buildings and bridges.

I want to stop doing this project for a little while but if I do I'll have it sitting half finished for another month. As it is, I really want to start getting some aspect warriors painted. Gonna start with the scorpion exarch as soon as this is done.

aenimosity
10-08-2007, 16:51
Buildings are done:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Building2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Building3.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Building4.jpg

This one is the last 2 buildings together:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Building5.jpg

They probably need more detail... but shmeh. It was never gonna be a work of art. It's mainly for playing on, so minor things aren't gonna phase me too much.

All that's left? Final colour for aquaduct, sealing then adding water. Hurrah!

Then it's onto the models themselves.

Attachments are just the back/inside of the buildings.

N810
10-08-2007, 23:21
Woah your buildings are looking great!
I suppose you could paint the lamp shades
with some thinned white if you felt like it.

aenimosity
11-08-2007, 01:15
Ah cool. I thought I was gonna have a lot of people say they look unfinished which they kinda do. But I just want it over and done with. The lamps have a coat of chainmail underneath which will be washed with yellow ink. (so not REALLY finished i guess, but it's just this one detail) Or did you mean the covers on top N810?

If anyone has a serious gripe about the buildings now is the time to say something. I'm picking up sealant today, and probably will bow to peer pressure if you think more could be added. I'm such a pussy ;)

Not much work happening today. (again :rolleyes:) I'll be sealing it all tonight, and getting it prepped for water. Might paint the fallen pipes on the road too (a dirty white with red squares in a ring near the top). But for now I'm going to see the new Harry Potter movie... even though it's sposed to suck.

N810
11-08-2007, 01:40
i was thinking something like this
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/SIX/SIX010/LON-236.jpg
yea your paint looks good...
but of course you can always paint more details
if it looking a little plain.

aenimosity
11-08-2007, 18:26
Okay. This here's the aquaduct painted:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Aquaduct.jpg

It's now been sealed at the edges, tomorrow I'll be grabbing epoxy glue to make sure there are no leaks (thanks Ewan). I want to get started tomorrow morning, but I'm kindof waiting for a blessing from Ewan before I get started. So... 1:30 pm is the cutoff. I'll be pushing ahead regardless at that time if there's no answer, risking about 90 bucks and a whole truckload of time.

Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

aenimosity
12-08-2007, 11:02
Just poured the water.

Just a few notes on the product itself. As you stir it while it heats, bubbles form inside the mix. It also dries quite quickly, so as you pour and it travels up a wall, it leaves a rounded edge that is pretty unrealistic. We've (my brother has chipped in with this bit) poured extra along the sides which will be melted with a heat gun later.

He wants to re-heat and texture the water. I'm thinking about it. We've poured only about 4 mm deep too. I was planning on having it deeper but I don't think it matters too much. The green stuff on the sides looks kindof like algae if you really strain your imagination.

If there is a slight spill at all, it flakes right off too.

Thanks very much for your help Ewan, not a single leak. Cheers for the link.

I might paint the surface with ink depending on 2 things. How it looks during the day, and whether or not we may want to reheat the surface (to get rid of scratches and so on)

Without further ado:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Water1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Water2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Water3.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Water4.jpg

Ignore the weird bits on the side, they'll be gone tomorrow.

And with that, a small amount of painting and a varnish, the board will be complete. There is still the ork shack to do, but I've decided to leave that one up to my brother.

Tomorrow... pics of the city in all it's glory.

aenimosity
14-08-2007, 04:59
Nearly there.

Looking at the water the next day was a huge disappointment. In places the bottom shows through, but in others it looks stained yellow. There's a heap of bubbles too.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/yellowriver.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/yellowriver2.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/yellowriver3.jpg

So I decided to give it a zap with a heat gun and give it a bit of texture as well. I don't think it's turned out too badly, but it will definately be getting an ink wash to try and tone that yellow a darker green.

Next up. Pics of the city put together.

aenimosity
14-08-2007, 05:04
Shot 1:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/City01.jpg
Shot 2:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/City02.jpg
Bridge:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/City03.jpg
Eldar crack dealers do a driveby on a building:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/City04.jpg

So what do ya reckon? Keeping in mind it isn't totally finished yet. Going over everything showed me a couple things I have to fix.

Dav0r
15-08-2007, 21:07
Hehe, very nice, you're a way faster builder than me :D
Maybe it could use a little more work on the road, but hey, overall it's already great !

aenimosity
15-08-2007, 23:04
Cheers mate. Only reason I've been this quick is sheer bloody-minded persistence. What would you suggest for the road?

Dav0r
16-08-2007, 10:41
Well I would suggest making something to underline the limits between the road and its sides. Maybe something like sideways or pavement ?

aenimosity
16-08-2007, 15:21
Hmmm. Not too keen on making a sidewalk. You have given me an idea though. Do you think I should texture the road? I've got a heap of cat litter left, and I think it might help define the road a little better (at least in person). Shouldn't take too long either.

Might flip a coin on this one... :p

Daniel36
16-08-2007, 20:08
The water looks brilliant! It really looks like it's moving, and the color is downright icky! Awesome stuff!! The other pieces still look a little clean.... Mayhaps some extra bits such as guns and ammocrates lying around or something similar?

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-08-2007, 23:49
Thx for the mention m8!

The water looks great imho! Iirc the yellow colour in the water comes from the liquid glass pellets. Hobby stores sell it in various colours to make stuff like wind chimes or things you hand in your window for the sun to shine through... cant remember name. Maybe it needs to be hotter?

Anyway, its damn fine work and dont be disheartened it hasnt turned out quite the way you wanted it... this doesnt make it bad, it just makes you an artist. If you are 100% happy with your work then you will never learn anything or strive improve.

aenimosity
17-08-2007, 03:26
Hey cheers guys. I'm in the process of sealing everything atm. I think enough progress has been made for it to be playable. I think I'll texture the road in the near future, but it's not a huge priority.

You're right Daniel36, it does look a little bare in places but hopefully when I make the movable rubble piles and craters based on cds it won't be too bad. The ammo crates are a good idea and they may be added sometime down the track as well.

This w/e I'll be starting the new project log for my eldar army. The plan is to finish at least 1 squad a week but that probably won't happen. Just gonna have to try to stay motivated. As my current army stands it should be complete within roughly 2 months (I'm hoping for 6 weeks, it's more likely to be about 10 ;)).

Anyway, this log won't be totally forgotten. As more things are added I'll drop a line every now and then.

Daniel36
17-08-2007, 15:18
Well, I will be checking back every now and then to see if you indeed make any progress, and I will be checking up on your Eldar too! :D They look cool so far!

Hey, guess what! It's "Another Tip Time, by Daniel!"
Don't push yourself man! If you can't finish a squad in time, take more time... Clean up your workspace, pick up one squad and don't even THINK about the rest of your stuff until you finish... Oh wait, I already gave you that tip, right? Well, IT WORKS! So there! :D
But seriously man, don't push yourself, you will only end up frustrated!

See ya!

Orcdom
24-08-2007, 16:52
the bridge sections you ought to make 2 alternative sections that are replaceable, blowed up bridges :D

is that envirotex or the GW stuff u used for the water?

either way you might want to check out water clear resins in your department or craft store floral departments.
heres a glance of the water from my table the thread is the mining colony thread in my sig:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/orcdom/Mining%20Colony/MiningColony127.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/orcdom/Mining%20Colony/MiningColony126.jpg

they typically leave less texture unless you pour it with the tables out of level, to leave a ripple effect and pour in layers, but have virtually no problems with bubbles.

always remember with pouring with resins of any kind tho, pour a very thin stream in the lowest point, and kinda high, 1 foot high or so cause the small stream helps break bubbles and the height helps allow more time for them to be eliminated as well.

Steve

scarab_cake
24-08-2007, 18:03
Aenimosity, I love your work, I'm the scener meister for my school club, and my club members have been pestering me for a CoD board for ages! don't be offended if i use som of your ideas, because they are BRILLIANT!!

scarab_cake
24-08-2007, 18:04
apologies for the double post, but i just saw orcdoms work as well... WOW!

aenimosity
25-08-2007, 18:58
I was just going through my subscribed threads and saw that this one had a fresh reply.

@Orcdom. I did think about making both destroyed and intact bridges after I read your thread a while back, however I wasn't prepared to go to huge lengths for my table. I really wanted the project to be fast and fairly painless. My modelling skill isn't as good as yours I'm afraid.

That was the main reason anyway, a minor one is that my brother plays necrons and orks. Neither are a particularly fast army, and when up against an army that can fleet almost any unit, or an army with skimmers (yes, I play eldar and nids) It wouldn't be fair to be able to take out the easy access for his foot sloggers and truks.

I actually used the meltable woodland scenics ez water for this table. I'm not really impressed with it to be honest. You can see from the photos that it stayed yellow in places which is something that should not have happened. :mad: Not to worry though, the water looks even more poisonous now. :D
The good thing about this stuff was that using a heat gun I was able to melt out the bubbles and texture the surface.

@Scarab_cake: Cheers for the kind words mate, no offence taken at all if you get ideas for your own table; half the things on this board were stolen from somewhere in the first place. If you like this table you should check out Deadley's, Light of the Emperor's and Davor's CoD tables. ******* awesome!

edit: DAMMIT!!! I was saving my 100th post for my finished swooping hawks. Ah well. Shouldn't have come to warseer while I was half cut.

I <3 W
28-08-2007, 10:14
wow... nice

zeek jr.
10-09-2007, 11:20
ye the board looks alright but u should have a 4x4 board or 6x4 as the base then spray that black then put the scenery on that so then u can move it around easier, also i am making a cities of death gaming board in the near future. found a great site that shows u how to make ruined buildings from styrofoam sheets, which would end up costing like 10 bucks for a about 8 ruined buildings. i will be putting up a log of my board which i has just started that is based on a world that has been taken by aliens (aka tyranids/eldar/ or even death guard, cause its abit death guardy)

Orcdom
10-09-2007, 14:48
you might texture the road, not with kitty litter but sand paper. it would be pretty consistant in texture and you can use your rubble to overlap in places where you need. it really wouldnt be any rougher than glued down sand, and you can usually get sand paper pretty cheap some places.
i would stick with a fine to medium grit.

Steve

N810
10-09-2007, 15:10
Actualy you can get rolls of sand paper with adhesive backs.
(I know this cause my dad ordered some)
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/166FFA86/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?lenSgDsc=5R2%2E5PADHESIVE%20ROLLS%20-%202%2E5%22%20WIDE&qryType=GRPSG
LINK

aenimosity
11-09-2007, 14:45
Wow that's actually not a bad idea at all Orcdom and N810! The only problem I could see would be the curved section. A little bit of cut and past would be needed there...

I'll have to see if there's some adhesive sandpaper available in Oz. Cheers for the link though. ;)

Orcdom
12-09-2007, 02:21
try hardware store or all else fails grip tape for a skateboard if you can find it cheap enough.

Steve