PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of fantasy Painters: Working thread. August.

Pages : [1] 2

Harry
31-07-2007, 22:58
THE TALE OF FANTASY PAINTERS : MONTH TWO

Welcome one and all to the second month of the Tale of fantasy painters.

For anyone interested in seeing the results of the first month, look here.

I have included here The essential information from the first fantasy thread.

I hope everyone has a succesful second month.

All the best
Harry

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete a 2000 point army in the next twelve months.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with the last day of July 2007.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post saying "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. 200 points for 10 out of the next 12 months.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.

All chat, questions, discussion, WIP, painting advice, encouragement, tutorials, etc, etc, should be on this thread.
(or in individual painters own project logs).

A new thread will be opened on the last day of each month (and will remain open for a week) for each painter to post one, and only one post with the next 200 point ‘update’ for the army they are painting and a picture of the army to date.
(OR one post for EACH army for those nutters painting more than one army!)

I will just take this opportunity to thank all the painters who have signed up for their interest and enthusiasm and for their ideas that have helped shape this project. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this project is a big sucess for everyone involved. I also hope 'the viewers at home' enjoy this results of all the work of the painters involved.

Cheers,
Harry

THE PAINTERS (OF FANTASY ARMIES)

Ad-HoC : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Afghanwhig : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Agraaee : Beasts of Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Alex Under : Empire. (Nuln) : 1 Months painting : 1 New bride : No jokers
Alfo : Dark Elves : 1 Months Painting : No jokers
Arhalien : Finally settled on Woodies : 1 months painting : No jokers
Armos : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No Jokers
Asmodai_dark86 : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No cash: No jokers
Azyreth : Skaven : 1 Months painting ; No jokers
Baron konrad : Empire (Nordland) : NO SHOW
Capatin Wolverine. : Dwarfs : NO SHOW
Catferret : Ogres 1 Months painting : No jokers
Charger : changed to Dwarfs : 1 Joker
CM Dante : Hordes of Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
cthulhedreamt : Skaven : NO SHOW
Cyphertheory : High Elves : NO SHOW
Dave3555 : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Dave is best : High Elves : 1 Joker
Deadorc : Lizardmen : 1 Months painting : No Jokers
Destris : Tomb Kings : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Dino : Empire : 1 Months painting : No joker
Dio : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Erazmus : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
ExquisiteEvil : Chaos Dwarfs : DROPPED OUT COUGH LOSER COUGH :D
Eyeolas : Orcs and Goblins : NO SHOW
Frep : Dwarves : NO SHOW
happy doctor : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : High Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry Daemonic Legion : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry Vampire Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Empire (Ostland) : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Beasts of Chaos : 1 joker
Hastings : Nurgle Daemonic Legion : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting. No jokers
Hellbore : Undead Lizardmen : 1 Joker
Hespithe : Khornate Doombull ogres : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hollopoint : Lizardmen : NO SHOW
Huw Dawson : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jedi : Bretonnians : 1 Joker
jme : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jonahmaul : Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jorme : Ogres : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Horus0001 : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Khrangar : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Killshot : Flemish WAB : 1 Months painting : 5 children : No jokers
Knighta : Skaven : 1 Months painting : No jokers.
Kodamas : Orks : 1 joker
Kraxnar : Chaos : 1 joker
kraxnar : High Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Kyussin chains : Ogres : 1 joker
Ladynee : Dwarf : NO SHOW
Lars Beernus : O&G or Mixed Chaos : NO SHOW
Lynuss : Bretonnians : NO SHOW
Marvywill : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Mikari : Wood Elves : NO SHOW
Mrs Urgeon : Empire : NO SHOW
Mutantdale : Chaos AND Beasts of chaos : NO SHOW
Netguru : Empire : 1 months painting : No jokers
OnkaDonka : Daemonic Legion (Nurgle) : NO SHOW
OoberNoob : Tomb Kings : NO SHOW
Plantagenet : Skaven : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Plantagenet : Brettonians : 1 months painting : no jokers
PMTN : Empire : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Rich 123 : Night Goblins : NO INTERNET MOVING HOUSE
Saulot : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Schoolcormorant : Bretonnians : NO SHOW
Sigur : Dark Elves : 1 months painting : No jokers
sil : High Elves : 1 months painting : No jokers
Silverstu : Dwarfs AND Vampire Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
The Super Haggis : Empire (Stirland Vampire Hunters) : 1 jokers
The boyz : Chaos Nurgle : 1 Months painting : No jokers
TheDarkArg : Vampie Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
TheDarkArg : Dwarfs : 1 Months painting : No jokers
The eater of Pie : Woodies : 1 Snowman : No jokers
The eater of Pie : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Toryn : Dogs of war (Kislev) : 1 joker
Unhellig : High Elves : NO SHOW
Varks : Wood Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Voltaire : Chaos (Nurgle) : NO SHOW
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull : Night Goblins : NO SHOW
Zark the Dammed : Ogres : 1 Months painting : No Jokers.

ARMIES:

Beasts of Chaos : 3
Bretonnians : 4
Chaos Dwarfs : 1
Daemonic Legion : 3
Dark Elves : 6
Dogs of War : 1
Dwarves : 8
Empire : 7
High Elves : 6
Hordes of Chaos : 10
Lizardmen : 2
Ogres : 5
Orcs and Goblins : 12
Skaven : 4
Tomb Kings : 3
Vampire Counts : 3
Wood Elves : 4

Zark the Damned
31-07-2007, 23:24
This month I will hopefully get work done on some of my Leadbelchers (I have 9 of the beggars!)

Harry
31-07-2007, 23:37
@Zark

Well done on your first months painting.
I much prefer flesh coloured ogres.
I think your brass looks great and the standard is especially succesfull.
I think, however, you are right about the bases. The green makes them look a bit old skool. May I suggest going with browns maybe a few bigger rocks here and there for that grey mountain look and a tuft or two of static grass ... not tooo much. (Thats what I did with my Dwarfs).

@ PMTN

I think given your limited paint supplies you ahev done very well.
I love the idea behind the knights. 'Tis a shame the bits didn't arrive in time but i look forward to seeing those next time.
You'll have to have a busy month, next month, to get back on track.

@Ad Hoc.

I seriously considered taking on Goblins but wimped out. You get extra credit for going for goblins.
Your 'one colour then ink' painting method is very quick and if you get the consistency of the ink right in can look as good as much more complicated and time consuming painting methods.
Keep up the good work.

PMTN
31-07-2007, 23:59
@harry fantastic on your first months work, i am very impressed by your quality and speed. But i will not judge you. 4 armies, and i thought you where joking. Oh and don't worry i am already 300 points ahead on my 40k tale. Got to love necrons expensive models.

Also have got to ask. How did you do the elf bases?

@Zark the Damned, like the ogres. Flesh is cool, so is the brass. I have to agree though while the bases might need a bit of work. They are fairly simple and make the model look alot more professional. Saying that i can't base to save my life.

I am sad with my first month. The bits i ordered haven't come as of yet. Therefor i am left essentially un-completed, and my knights where really shaping up.

However next month will be my Balthasar Gelt model. Oh baby can't wait to get my teeth stuck in. I haven't decided yet, but i was thinking a conversion from this model:

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/album14/3096_G

So yeah a far more interesting next month.

Dino
01-08-2007, 00:27
@Harry:Wow, 100 min's. I know I commented on this before but seriously insane. But to be fair a vary nice work man. My favorite are the Dwarfs.

@Zark the Damned: Cool ogers.

@Ad-Hoc: Very nice Night Goblins.

Harry
01-08-2007, 00:27
@PMTN

Did five in the end by accident.

However, have not even looked at my 40K army. A brigade to far me thinks.:D

the elf bases had little Greenstuffed flag stones sculpted on and then just fine sand glued on around them and painted in greens. There will be some step by steps in my project log in a few days.

@Dino
Your wolf clad Grandmaster is most impresive.
However, you appear to have gone, needlessly, over the 200 point target.
You might want to edit you post and keep back one or more units for another month.
It's great that you are 'ahead of the game' but try and stay somewhere near the target so each army progress's at the same speed.

Dino
01-08-2007, 00:32
@Harry: Um I did say I need to do 300 points a month cause I want to enter the Adepticon Escolation tournemnt in April of 08 wich reqiers over 3000 points. So sorry I didn't explain this before this got started.

Harry
01-08-2007, 00:41
You did explain.
You may paint whatever you need to for whatever projects you are into, however, for this project it would be helpful if you would only post 200 points a month so that each army is roughly the same size each month. Even if this means that towards the end you are posting stuff you painted some moths previously. It will mean that in the end you will need to select which 2000 points of the 3000 points you are painting you wish to include in this project.

Nothing stopping you having a project log where folks can see the full 3000 points in all its glory.

Dino
01-08-2007, 00:44
@Harry: Ok I'll get right on it. Give me a quick bit.
Edit: Ok Harry, as you asked I fixed it.

Harry
01-08-2007, 00:48
Many thanks. Thats very good of you.

CMDante
01-08-2007, 01:22
@ everyone who has posted completed works so far - Well done on sticking to the challenge, and especially well done to those who have battered out the larger numbers of mini's in one month and to a high standard! I can forsee that bigger infantry units (10+) will really cause me trouble so I'll be on here regularly for motivation!:D

As for my contribution for this month, I've not really decided. I've been doing some green stuff work on some scratch built knights but simply doing all the sculpting work and converting alone could take me all month so it will probably be my chariot, another character or some infantry (probably horrors). Decisions, decisions..... :D

Cheers,

Dante

Khrangar
01-08-2007, 01:32
This month I can actually do some work :). I didn't know whether or not to post a joker in the last month's thread as I figure I can do 400pts this month, mainly due to Dauragon, my Daemon Prince.

Speaking of which, here's a WIP of him that I got done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/DP005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/DP006.jpg

Comparison Shot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/DP007.jpg

Khrangar

Harry
01-08-2007, 01:56
@khrangar
Now this is a special case.
I have had this conversation with others via PM
You don't need to play a joker if you are half way through an expensive single mini if it is close to 400 points.
You can just post this on the thread as WIP
And post it completed next month and you are still 'on target'.

The same would be true of a greater Daemon. (600 points) You could post him as WIP for two months without using a joker and then post him complete the third month.

@CMDante.
Well done on your first months painting. A beautiful mini.
I look forward to whatever yo do next and to reading your background/theme.
Did you see I had named my first daemon chapmion after you :D

sigur
01-08-2007, 02:48
@Harry: One funny thing happened when I had a look at the results of the first months' painting: I scrolled down, saw the High Elves and though "wow, all this white is just cool. Not sure if anyone could top that.". Next thing I saw was the Dwarfs and I thought "hehe, those are cute, especially the differently-coloured scarfs.". A few postings further, there were the Dark Elves. I really like how many old miniatures your're using and that skin tone you've done. Then I scrolled up again to see who painted those units I liked best and actually had to smile to myself when I realized that those are all by you! Great work, great painting speed, great quality.

@CMDante: Great work on the Sorceror. Thumbs up.

Congratulations to finishing the first 200pts to everyone. I had to play a Joker (I'll post it tomorrow) and therefore will cringe in shame. I got distracted by other things and those weren't even important RL-things, just - stuff.

Also, those Cold One Knights are just annoying me with all their armour and big lizard things.:mad: Anyway, I'll try to get some more work done this month at least.

edit: Alright, here's what I've painted in the past 36 hours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/shadeswip1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/shadeswip2.jpg

The pants are in fact a bit stronger highlighted but it's quite hard to see in the pictures. I'm currently thinking wether I should paint the lips pale or in some kind of lipstick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/CoKwipback.jpg

I'll post some updates more regularly now.

Hespithe
01-08-2007, 03:46
I'm really impressed by the work shown thus far by all of you. Empire really give me fits, and I eventually traded off the army. Those Elves of Harry's, the High and Dark, are just awesome. I even like the Tele-tubby Dwarfs. ;P I'll be posting Ogres soon enough, and would really use some input Zark. Your's look pretty cool, and I actually smiled when I read the Tribal name.

Great work guys!

skidrow
01-08-2007, 05:38
@Harry.... Harry you are the man !!! Love all your armies and also that you have named most of them after people on here. It is a really good touch. My favorites are the vampires. It's pretty hard to see but that last pic really shows them well with grass on their shoulders and how dirty they are. Closely followed by the High Elves. Talk about one extreme to to other....lol. Keep up the awsome work mate ... you are an inspiration. :D

@Zark.... Great lookin Ogres there mate. Like the skin tones especially. Well done.

@PMTN... Get them riders done...:p

@Adhavoc... Any chance of a closer pic? Really hard to see much with that one.

@Dante... Amazing mini. Nuff Said :D Oh and how many points is that lord worth?

@ Hespithe.... Awsome conversion and painting there mate. I always break into a cold sweat whenever I even look at Greenstuff but you have made it look easy......damn you!!! ;)

Keep up the great work lads..... only another 1800 to go....hehehehe

The boyz
01-08-2007, 07:57
Hopefully over the next two months, I should be working on two things. Officially for the next two months I will be working on my Nurgle Chaos Lord. I will also start working on one of two big units of Marauders that I have planned for my army.

So far, I must admit, I haven't really done much other then sit and stare at all the different zombie and chaos marauder sprue's scattered about my painting area. I did manage to pin the two halves of my Nurgle lords Horse together though about two weeks ago.

@ Harry, Fantastic work on getting 1000pts worth of stuff painted in only one month, I particularly like the HE and Dwarfs.

@ CMDante, excellent work on that Chaos sorcerer, the paint job looks superb. I love the blue flames on his weapon and cloak, they look very nice.

@ everyone else, congratulations on painting 200pts of stuff, some great work guys/gals. Look forward to seeing some more updates over the next month.

Harry
01-08-2007, 08:25
Many thanks to you all for you kind words and encouragement. Comments here and on my Project Log are really helping to motivate me to paint as much as I am.

@Sigur
Crack on like that for another 36 hours and you won't need to use a joker. That thread for posting will be open for several days.
you can make it :D

@Hespithe.
I really like your background and theme ideas this will make for a great army.
I think your off to a cracking start he makes a really imposing general. Good conversion.
I look forward to seeing more of this army.

@The boyz
I like the guys with the clipped horns, very sinister.
I like your snow on the bases. very northern wastes.
I like the skin tone on your champ.
All looking very nice.

Thanks to everyone who has followed my lead on the posts.
That bit of structure an 'uniformity' to the posts is giving that thread a nice feel. It will also help greatly when it comes to pulling stuff together for Warlords to already have a bit of information and background about your work. So thanks very much to everyone who has posted so far.

Jonahmaul
01-08-2007, 09:05
Hey folks, can't post my pictures yet as I'm not at home so just a quick post to say well done to everybody, this 'Tale' is really shaping up & I'm looking forward to posting my pictures & also seeing what everybody else comes up with over the course of the tale.

@ Sigur - those elves have 3 colours on so surely if you base them in the next couple of days you can post them this month & avoid the joker then just go back & finish them properly next month. You can then save your joker for if you really need it?

@ Harry - I resent my listed army, there isn't an Orc in sight in my army! Congratulations on getting so many models done (even if you haven't finished them all I think you can be excused!). My fabourite are the Skellies, I really like the just coming out of the ground look.

Will comment more on individual's posts when I have a bit more time but the standard is really high & I'm impressed with everybodies work.

Zark the Damned
01-08-2007, 09:08
Good to see everyone getting so involved - the quality of work on some of the stuff is amazing!

Harry, you're a nutter, doing all those armies at once - and keeping a consistently high level of painting while doing it! You must have a time machine tucked away somewhere, it's the only way I'd get that much done in a month.

Sigur, I really like the Purple you've got going there - let me know the recepie, for I too have a couple of purple Dark Elves (although not painted anywhere near as good)

If I get chance this month I plan to rebase my Ogres - am thinking to mimic Harry's Dwarves with brown bases with small rocks and clumps of grass.

Harry
01-08-2007, 10:38
@jonahmaul
I will change your entry to Goblins only.

@Knighta
Tut tut. Three colours and BASED! But you get bonus ponits fer being mad enough, I mean brave enough to take on Skaven.
I think it was worth the time trouble to get all the matching parts. (and its not like the the spare bits won't get used in the rest of the horde.
Love the fella coming out of the ground with the lamp.

@ Destris.
Well done Lazt @rse, I mean Lazy-us.
Don't worry about the detaails on the points. You can sort it out when you hahve time to read the book properly.
Interesting approach with theinks. Sounds fast. I must give that a try sometime.

@Plantagenant
Welcome to the Tale of painters.
Nice Skarsnik. Not the only one we will be getting this month I fancy.
Great gobbos. Lovely neat skin and fantastic attention to detail on the shields.
It is going to take you a while to paint all your rank and file to this standard. Good luck to you.

@Plantagenant II
WoW! incredible effort on the heraldry.
Love the detail on fabric of the comparison and the banner.
Simply Gobsmacked.
It is because I would want to achieve thisn level of detail in the heraldry that I have never painted my Bretonnians.
Tell me you don't intend this level of detail for all the knights?

CMDante
01-08-2007, 11:07
@ Sigur - Those DE look awesome, its nice to see the variation between the new mini's and the old marauder ones Harry's doing, the fact that both are so well painted just makes it even better!

@Skidrow - It's funny you should say that, I hadn't looked at my list since I joined the TOFP thread at the start of last month and I just noticed that he is in actual fact 495 pts of killy chaos goodness! Looks like thats me sorted for 2 months! :P Saying that, I'll still be producing something this month anyway, looking most likely to be the horrors since they look the most fun to paint at the moment as everytime I look at the chariot I get the feeling I'll get bored painting it and not do too great a job.

I noticed a few more people have posted finished works up and I must say I'm constantly impressed by the volume and quality!

@ The Boyz - Those nurgle warriors (*SPIT*;)) are looking really nice. I know what you mean about cutting the horns off a few, I've done this too simply because I know that painting the horns will be so time consuming!

@ Knighta - Pics are at a bit of a difficult angle to see much of the detail on these little guys but from what I can see they look pretty solidly done. I'm always impressed when people put time into painting skaven as I find that the mini's themselves don't seem to lend themselves quite as obviously as other figures to certain colours or original paint schemes.

@ Destris - Nice job on the king there, great pics too!

@ Plantagenet - It amazes me how great all the gobbo armies I've seen on this thread look, especially considering the number of mini's you lot have to paint each month! Skarsnik looks great though as you say, they will look much nicer once theyre all based.

Those Brets look cool too, the pattern work on the shields and cloth looks really nice, at first I thought they were transfers due to the fact it was so cleanly and uniformly done!

@ Jedi - Ashame you had to pull a joker this month mate, those knights were looking really good.

@ NetGuru - Good ol' Empire, gotta love em, they've been my army since the good old days of early herohammer. Excellent paintjob you've given these guys, could have sworn they were Eavy Metal team mini's! I know what you mean about having to relearn techniques too, because I go through spells of intense (for me thats like 5 figs a month! :() painting and then no painting at all, the lord I did this month was only the 3rd figure I've done since February, as a result I'm not entirely happy with quite alot of him.

@ Harry - I'll be posting some background on the army up soon, mainly because I'm not entirely set on their back story just yet! :D

Cheers,

Dante

P.S - @ Hastings - got the tzeentch icon today in the mail, it looks great and will now be the banner top for either my chosen warriors or my bsb, cheers mate!

Kraxnar
01-08-2007, 12:17
Lots of nice stuff in the first month guys! Hopefully the quality lasts the full distance.

Oi Harry! You forgot to add me in after I posted in the first months thread and pm'd you ;)

My Spearelves are done (except the bases) but I never did get started on the Slaanesh Mortals :cries:

For this month I'm going to try to get both armies up to 400 points by painting 2 bolt throwers, a sorceror and a unit of Chaos Warriors. We'll see how that goes I guess...

75hastings69
01-08-2007, 13:09
Here is the test piece for my Ostland Handgunners, yes I know it's a Dwarf!, but I figure that some roam the empire and end up serving in its states standing armies.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/Handgunner1.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/Handgunner.jpg

sigur
01-08-2007, 13:49
Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far guys. I'll try to get enough stuff painted not having to use the Joker now although it feels kinda cheap. :eyebrows:

I'm also not too happy with those Shades' faces; they come out pretty terrible in the pictures so I might add some wash and then redo some highlights.

@Zark the Damned: It's just liche purple, chaos black and skull white really. Base layer of Black/Liche Purple followed by several layers of:

.) pure liche purple
.) liche purple with a wee little bit of white
.) liche purple with a bit more than a wee little bit of white
.) liche purple with even a bit more of white than a bit more than a wee little bit.

@75hastings69: This is a great Dwarf miniature with a paintjob that does it justice. I think GW overdoes it with plate armour these days so this guy with the chainshirt is quite refreshing.

Dino
01-08-2007, 14:01
@The boyz: Awsome nurgle warriors. They don't look too plague riden but thats a good thing to me.

@Destris: WOW! Great tomb king man.

@NetGuru:Love the yellow. Did you use foundation paints on them?

@75hastings69: All youre stuff is great (expecially the Empire stuff).

Horus0001
01-08-2007, 14:53
some very impressive work so far over at the entry thread.

Seems your all steamrolling into this months too (I literally just finished last months 5min ago).

I think ill start my sorcerer and hounds tomorrow or friday (off gaming tonight) as a character will be a nice change from a unit (and im trying to put off the marauders as long i can, hate skin).

Btw harry that long list doesnt have my name in it ;)

Jedi152
01-08-2007, 14:56
Some gorgeous stuff turning up in the monthly entry thread.

Particular standouts for me are Netguru's handgunners (wish i could paint yellow like that ... :(), Hastings wonderful outriders and of course our own dear pieman Harry, just for sheer amount done!

I declare this weekend to be the weekend of painting horses.

Are we still planning to have a little get together at the end? For a pint or two, a few games and maybe, just maybe, some pie.

McMullet
01-08-2007, 16:33
Are we still planning to have a little get together at the end? For a pint or two, a few games and maybe, just maybe, some pie.
I should be up for that, maybe we could have a little tournament/miniatures exhibition at Warhammer World?

I'm trying to keep up with the cool stuff you're all posting. It really is excellent to see.

Harry: Cracking Elves. Very white and shiny. I like the streaky edges on the bases too. Manicured lawns indeed! Those old Dwarf minis look much better with the hammers. Lovely daemons, especially the bases! I see what you mean about the colours of the DE; the gold-bronze looks too warm and "healthy" with the cold, sickly looking Elves. Maybe you could go for A dark, less strongly coloured metal (Tin > Gunmetal)? Skeletons... what, ANOTHER army? Very nice. :D Now, where are those Space Marines?

Zark... the Damned: I agree with you on the "pink" ogres, they look great! I'm afraid I agree with Harry about the bases though, earth and static grass looks much more natural I think.

PMTN: Shame you couldn;t get the bits you needed... that army is going to look so striking on the table though!

Ad-hoc: Yaya, gobbos!

Dino: Always liked Middenheim/land armies. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of yours!

CMDante: Well yes, you're awesome. I think I mentioned that already.

Hespithe: Nice work, very characterful model!

The Boyz: The texture on the shields looks great. Just so... nurgley. And that's some of the best looking snow I've seen.

Knighta: You're going to be busy...

Destris: Really nice looking Tomb King, the drybrush/ink idea makes the model look really coherent and makes the colours appropriately muted and weathered.

plantagenet: Great work on both the armies. The freehand on the Bretonnians is amazing!

Jedi: FOR SHAME

NetGuru: the black and yellow looks great, and I love the armour ont he warrior priest.

Hastings: Great job on the Outriders and Snarsnik. Looking forward to the GUO!

Horus0001: The pink edging on that armour is fantastic. It's just so striking. Great idea.

Looking forward to the rest of the updates!

Harry
01-08-2007, 16:51
Kraxnar, Horus0001 I am sorry.
It was nothing personel, just stupidity on my part. :D
I will go and add you to the lists along with more armies for Hastings!

Anybody else not on my lists do let me know.

@Hastings
Nice dwarf. I love your use of neutrals. Makes your stuff look very 'real'.

Empire : Your outriders are great! The work on the horses especially catches my eye each time I look at them.
I know what your saying about the empire wizard. he looks a bit flat by comparison. i think all he needs is a more extreem highlight here and there..

Goblins : Great skassnik. noice to see him again.

Daemonic Legion. I have got to get myself one of those Great Unclean Ones. I remember our reaction when we first saw it. We just looked at each other and said "getting one of those".

Beasts of Chaos. JOKER!!!!

@Jedi.
JOKER!!! Theres still time. Three colours and based. You can always go back to them and tart them up when you have more time.

@Netguru
Beautiful contribution. lovely neat crisp work.
I wonderful yellow
and the armour on that warrior priest is fantastic.
Very nicely done.
Whats next?

@Horus0001
They look magnificent on mass. If you can keep the colour scheme strong through-out this army will look amazing on the table.
Lovely clean crisp job. If that was your fisrt paint job in two years we are all in for a treat when you get back into the groove.
I think your right about the further highlight to the cloaks and some more work on the horns but don't over do it. They have something going for them without all the blending and highlights. I would be tempted to get more of the army done and see how you feel about them then. Much depends on how you treat similar 'materials' (clothing, fur, horns etc) where it appears in other places in the army.
Sometimes keeping it simplw works better for the army as a whole. You notice details when you look at a unit in isolation you don't see when they are part of a wider army. (if that makes any sence).

CMDante
01-08-2007, 17:02
@ Sigur - To be honest mate I wouldn't change a thing about the face, I think they look awesome and combined with the purple are one of my favourite things about them!

@ Hastings - Sublime work, also, 4 armies?! Have you been eating the same crack laden pies as Harry?!;) Also looking forward to the GUO! Will the whole handgunner unit be dwarfs or just a mix of empire and stunties?

@ Horus0001 - Bravo on another large infantry entry, these guys are striking and also very neatly done, extra impressive since its your first work in 2 years! As you say, the horns will be even nicer with a little extra work, also the icons on the shields could use a little shading around the rivets etc (maybe a thin wash of purple ink or diluted liche purple).

@ Harry - Sweet! Mini me! :D

Cheers,

Dante

75hastings69
01-08-2007, 17:51
@ Hastings - Sublime work, also, 4 armies?! Have you been eating the same crack laden pies as Harry?!;) Also looking forward to the GUO! Will the whole handgunner unit be dwarfs or just a mix of empire and stunties?

Only 1 dwarf in the Handgunner Detachment but I have a few others to go through the army.

I am doing some work on the GUO right now. Lovely model.

plantagenet
01-08-2007, 18:42
Thanks for all the nice posts....I hope I can keep it going as well

This months additions will see at least 16 Goblins and something else to bulk the points up a little.

Bretonnians will definetly see the Standard bearer for the Questing Knights and hopefully a couple to go with him....

El-Diablo
01-08-2007, 19:14
@ Harry
Those High Elves are looking fantastic! I wasn't too sure when I say the wip's, but finished they look awesome. Great job.

@Everyone else
My computer decided to die before I saw any other pics, but great job for getting everything done for the end of the month!

Arhalien
01-08-2007, 20:25
Arhalien : Undecided (Woodies?)

Ahem... :p

So, this is where you lot are lurking now; thought you could get rid of me by closing the old thread? Well you were wrong! :p

Some fantastic stuff posted in the final July thread; Harry those Elves are great!
Oh, and I forgot to mention it in the last thread; a belated Happy Birthday to you :D

Anyway, very light on progress since my last post in the last thread; Basically I've stuck about 5 pieces of plastic together: leaving the house at 730am and getting back at 800pm is not conducive to good painting ;)

Anyway, on Saturday I should be able to get cracking again when this drama course finishes.

NetGuru
01-08-2007, 20:47
@NetGuru:Love the yellow. Did you use foundation paints on them?

Umm yes and no, at first i started using the foundation yellow, but once it dried it gave a really rough finish, so i switched back to Bubonic brown and fount that it was exactly the same in every repect but without the rough finish so i painted them all with bubonic brown.

As for next month? Well its 20 Swordsmen and a BSB (from the box set) but of the 20 swordsmen half are already half done, if that makes sense.

sigur
01-08-2007, 20:55
@ Sigur - To be honest mate I wouldn't change a thing about the face, I think they look awesome and combined with the purple are one of my favourite things about them!

Good to hear that as...in fact, these are the only things painted yet.;)

afghanwhig
01-08-2007, 21:48
Wow amazing work by everyone so far.

Harry you are nuts trying to get that many mini's done on a monthly basis.

As for me for this month I will be doing:

Finish the NG Big Boss from last month.
30 NG's with Netters, Hand Weapons, Shield, Musician
5 Squig Hoppers

Knighta
02-08-2007, 07:43
Oh, just re-wrote the list, the gutter runners (months entry) cost 246 points.
Anyways, this month im planing on completing 30 clanrats for a meer 175 points... i have left over from last month so thats ok.
Keep up the great work everyone ;)

Jedi152
02-08-2007, 07:55
Jedi: FOR SHAME
The shouting hat is on... :cries:

@Jedi.
JOKER!!! Theres still time. Three colours and based. You can always go back to them and tart them up when you have more time.
I'll work harder in future. Please don't hit me ... no, please! Arrgh.

:D They'll be done for next month, though they'll probably pale in comparison to Plantagenets gorgeous Brets. Looks like i need to practice my freehand...

Harry
02-08-2007, 07:57
Well the month one posting thread has been open for a day and in the first 24 hours 20 of the 68 painters who signed up have already posted.
What a great responce. That is nearly a third of the painters involved posting on the first day.
Thanks to all of you who have been so keen to show your work and posted so quickly.

On a sad note I have been contacted by three painters to say that because of real life commitments (work or family) they feel unable to continue with this project.

So I say a sad farewell to ExquisiteEvil, Killshot and Kodamas.

Three big losses.
I was looking forward to seeing more of Exquisites exquisite chaos dwarfs.
Killshots beautifully painted WAB Flemish brought a nice extra dimension to the project.
Kodamas was another guy who had planned to do multiple armies.

I wish them all the best with both their painting and with their real lives and I have left 'the door open' for all these guys in case things ease down in their real lives over the next couple of months to the point they feel they are able join in again and joker the couple of months they have missed.

So (if everyone who has signed up, shows up) that leaves us with 65 Painters Painting (approx) 75 armies.
With the 60 painters and 65 armies currently on the 40K side that is still 125 painters and 140 great big dollops of interest and inspiration every month for the next 12 months.

Jedi152
02-08-2007, 08:08
Sad to hear a few have left, but we're still going strong!

I look forward to a steady stream of updates in the next couple of days.

the varks
02-08-2007, 10:49
it is sad, i was wanting to see those WAB models, but i have an update, a wood elf lord on great stag

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w34/marcotessari/DSCF0213.jpg
its still PIP so yeah,but im tired so no more painting

and harry your armies are looking fantastic and i especially like the white high elves.

marco

Horus0001
02-08-2007, 11:56
Thanks for the compliments guys.
It really was the first unit ive painted in 2 years. Im going to Blame a combination of a certain popular MMORPG (which ive now dropped :p) and college.

Keeping the scheme across the army should not be too dificult in the case of the knights and hounds but linking the edged armour with the marauders could get a bit tricky (and look aweful).

Anyways i started to green stuff little mounds on the hounds bases (their feet would have been in the air at odd angles otherwise) and have ended up green stuffing every gap i could find on every model. So much for painting today, ah well better hope it doesnt rain tomorrow!

Jonahmaul
02-08-2007, 13:04
Ok, first of all I'm very sorry that I haven't posted my picture yet but they'll definately be going up soon, possibly tonight but more likely tomorrow because of the light (I may just resort to the lamps though!). I am definately very keen though! Farewell to EquisiteEvil, Killshot & Kodomas. I hope they can come back soon but we can always follow their personal project logs if they update them. Now on to individual comments: -

@ Harry, already commented on your minis but bit more in depth I'd say that I love the hammers on the dwarfs, you've actually made the old static models look very good. Love both the elves, the HE looks very nice in the bright colours & the bases are cool. Talking of bases, I love those Bloodletters & their bases. As I've already said, the skellies are my favourite though. Your still crazy for doing so many armies but if at the end of the tale you manage to have all of them as painted 2000 point armies then I shall be truly impressed (and may even buy you pie!).

@ Zark, nice Ogre's, I much prefer skin coloured Ogre's & I love the standard. I would just change the bases though as they could be much better with earthy tones.

@PMTN - really like the altdorf colour scheme, it is one that is hard to pull off well & you've done it. Will you being sanding the movement trays so they fit in with the army? Looking forward to seeing the finished knights.

@ Ad-Hoc, good to see some more golbins :D Some close-up pictures would be appreciated though as can't really make them out very well.

@ Dino, love the Empire, particularly the Grandmaster & the chesnut coloured horses.

@ CMDante, absolutely beautiful. Definately up there with the best entries this month. I really like the base too & am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

@ Hesphit, love the Doombull & the theme for the army. An excellent conversion & very well painted.

@ The Boyz, really like those CW & your right about the bases setting the models off very nicely (may steal the snow bases for my 40k Nurgle army when I get round to it!).

@ Knighta, those gutter runners are cool, especially like the one coming through the drain cover and the one diving forward.

@ Destris, nice Tomb King, even if a bit lazy as your only painting one model! The base definately does with the Obelisk that its standing on but will you be using the army on a board that is all that colour? Welcome to Warhammer Fantasy Battle!

@ plantagent, hurrah again for more goblins! Agree with you about the lighter skin tones although I've gone even more vibrant for mine! Very nicely painted minatures, the skin & the yellow on the shields are particularly well done. Really like Gobbla too. Those Bretonnians are also awesome, the amount of symbols you've put on the barding & cloaks are ridiculous and incredibly well done. Both these armies would be up there in my favourites of the month

@ Jedi, Jokers in month one are BAD! Looking good so far though, looking forward to seeing some completed minatures!

@ Netguru, absolutely beautifully painted models, anoter entry for the best of the month. The yellow looks fantastic & I love that warrior priest.

@ Hastings, Empire looking very cool, especially loving the Outriders. Skarsnik is also very nice (two gorgeous Skarnik's just make me want to paint mine but I think its goin to somewhere around month 6 I do mine!). The GUO looks awesome so far & am very much looking forward to seeing it finished. A joker?! what?! I can't believe your playing a joker. Ok I suppose that you can be forgiven as your doing 4 armies! You get pie too if you get all 4 done to 2000 points.

@ Horus0001, very nice looking warriors. very striking & neatly done.

@ Dave3555, already commented before but the Runesmith is gorgeous, seamlessly highlighted & blended. I envy your skill. Another that could be considered as entry of the month.

@ Huw_Dawson, good job, especially with your limited paints. We want evidence of the symbol on the shield though! Nice to see somebody whose actually used their 30th anniversary model as well (yes I'm one of the people whose is still in their draw in cellophane, two in fact!).

@ Azyreth, like the rats, swarm armies are difficult to paint at this rate. Like the idea of using the shields to give the unit some coherence & the standard is also good. Will you do different shields for each of your units?

@ Arhalien, nice looking elf lord, lets see if next months effort is actually WE too!

@ Afghanwhig, already commented in your project log but nice shaman, just do that rope!

@ The Varks, really like those WE, a lot of effort obvisouly gone into the. Backshot of the wardancers is blurry though & some picture slightly closer up would be good!

Phew, thats everyone! Well done to everybody whose submitted so far & kept up the enthusiasm. As I said, I will post my pictures when I get home. I've yet to work out my army list properly but the one I did work out came in at almost 2500 points (without a BSB bearer though which I definatley want) so I may aim to do 200 points every month without playing jokers so that I can use the list (also gives me more to play round with in smaller games). Definately think we should have some sort of meet up after the tale has finished, whether its jsut everyone decending on warhammer world for a couple of days or a friendly tournament. How will those doing more than one army choose which to use & will they bring them all with them (hah to Harry & Hastings with the thousands of models they'd need to bring!)

Catferret
02-08-2007, 15:50
Right, I have to decide what I want to paint this month.

Should I do the other 4 Bulls and the 10 Trappers?
3 Ironguts and 10 Trappers?
2 Leadbelchers and 10 Trappers?

You may have noticed I want to get the Gnoblar portion of my army out of the way ASAP...

Horus0001
02-08-2007, 15:51
Id say go for the 2 leadbelchers and 10 trappers.
Mixes it up a little bit rather than doing another bull unit.

NetGuru
02-08-2007, 17:21
And this is August's workload..

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/DwarfBlog/P8020049.jpg

All ive done so far is the skin...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/DwarfBlog/P8020050.jpg

But over the next few days i should finish the uniforms with a view to finishing the whole lot in two weeks time...

Dino
02-08-2007, 17:33
@Catferret: I'd say do the 2 leadbelchers too. You'll have a usable unit in games when you start playing with the army. And nice work on youre ogers.

@McMullet: Thx.

@dave3555: Very nice runesmith.

@the varks: Really nice wood elves. Particularly like the spell singer.

@aggraae: Nice work, and that sucks that that happened.

And figured out what I'll be painting for this month:
10 swordsmen with command
10 spearmen with command
3 Pistoliers

CMDante
02-08-2007, 17:48
NetGuru - Nice start, looking forward to seeing your army develop as everything so far has looked great.

Catferret - I'd say the 2 belchers and the trappers, make it a bit easier on yourself and save the slightly larger units for doing on their own in a month.

I've settled on doing 5 horrors and possibly finishing the chariot I started last month for this month, since I did 500pts last month I think I could get away with 5 horrors on their own :D

Also, I'll be going on holiday with the missus at the end of the month so I'll either post my pics before I go or leave them with Harry to post for me.

Cheers,

Dante

Catferret
02-08-2007, 17:49
Horus: The Warriors look real nice on the table all ranked up. The pink really grabs your attention.

Dino: I think that is the best selection to give you a range of different models to stop you getting bored.

Right, 2 Leadbelchers and 10 Trappers it is. 180pts but I was over in my first month so that's fine.

Huw_Dawson
02-08-2007, 19:18
Hehehe, as part of my attempt to stop painting so quickly so I have something to paint every month, I've restarted a couple of games, one of which is Warcraft Three... Bog standard RTS gameplay, fantastic humour! To liven things up, here are some of my current favorites:

Druid of the Claw (In bear form): *Clown music* Can't... stop... DANCING!...

Orc Grunt: Me no sound like Yoda... Do I?!

Gryphon Rider: This Warhammer cost 40k!

Gyrocopter: Oops, I dropped something... *boom*

BladeMaster: My blade can cut through armour, and STILL cut a tomato!

DreadLord: *Ring* Yes? Ach! For the last time, I'm a DREAD lord, NOT a DRUG lord!

Morter Team: A: You've got a chip on yer shoulder. B: Mmm, yes, and some fish too!

Priest: Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausia, vomiting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death and halitosis. Magic is not for everyone, consult your doctor before use.

Rifleman: You'll take me blunderbuss, when you PRY IT FROM ME COLD DEAD HANDS!

Wyvern Rider: FLASH! *roar* AAAAA-AAAAAH!!

I especially love the cute 40k reference!
- Huw

Arhalien
02-08-2007, 19:45
@ Arhalien, nice looking elf lord, lets see if next months effort is actually WE too!

Why, why, why, why does nobody trust me? :p

@Harry: I mentioned it on the submission thread, but I love the names of the units :D
Just one thing though; where's the Orang-Utan with the High Elves? :p

PMTN
02-08-2007, 20:08
@the eater of pie - i think you where literally born to participate in this thread. Your user name for starters, will give several pie lovers of this group an orgasm.
But in all that snowman is disturbing me beyond words. Almost as crazy as a grinch themed goblins army i saw once.

Back on topic. Im doing a regiment of soldiers this week. Yeah i know Yawn.

^Changer^
02-08-2007, 20:15
Greetings everyone! I'm Changer, and I'm joining this jolly brotherhood in a very last minute fashion! The army I'll be doing will be Orcs, possibly without any goblins, though I'm sure I'll add in a few snotlings here and there from the big bitz box of olde. First up on my painting table is a Wyvern for my Orc Warboss, and I'll get some pictures of it finished up either tonight or tomorrow.

Extremely nice work from everyone, I especially fancy the heraldry by plantagenet, very nice detailing. Oh, and Harry, you must be quite an extraordinary fellow, very nice work indeed. I really like those skeletons.

Regards,
E

Harry
02-08-2007, 20:32
Greetings everyone! I'm Changer, and I'm joining this jolly brotherhood in a very last minute fashion! The army I'll be doing will be Orcs, possibly without any goblins, though I'm sure I'll add in a few snotlings here and there from the big bitz box of olde. First up on my painting table is a Wyvern for my Orc Warboss, and I'll get some pictures of it finished up either tonight or tomorrow.

Extremely nice work from everyone, I especially fancy the heraldry by plantagenet, very nice detailing. Oh, and Harry, you must be quite an extraordinary fellow, very nice work indeed. I really like those skeletons.

Regards,
E
Most welcome. I hope a changer is as good as the rest. :D I thank you. I'm here all week.
I will add you to the list.
I keep telling my wife what an extraordinary fellow I am and how lucky she is to have me but she's not falling for it. :D

@Arhalien
i will try and get an orang-utan and add it to the unit.

@Dante
I would leave them with someone reliable. I will only forget or mess up in some way.:D

@Netguru
Off to a cracking start.
I don't even now what I am painting for some of my armies yet!

@Jonahmaul
Whats that you say ??? PIE!

If I end up with only one completed army It will be 1 more than I currently have.
With the exception of my "Paint a Tomb kings army in a weekend" (on my log ... don't ask) and my golden demon entry from last year
those 5 units represent the first completely painted and based units I have ever got around to.

If I end up with 5 completed armies at the end of this I will be so chuffed with myself I shall buy celebratory pie all round for anyone who cares to turn up at Warhammer World to share it with me.

Arhalien
02-08-2007, 20:36
@Ar

Post a little bit early Harry? :p

Better now :D
Thanks; I'll be very interested to see that!

Erazmus_M_Wattle
02-08-2007, 20:37
Congrats to Harry and everyone. I just finished posting my efforts and obviously cast an eye over everyone elses work. I have to say I am impressed. It feels good to have a reason to get stuff done for a change. It's very early days but I am looking forward to seeing how everyones armies will progress over the next few months. You'd need several screws loose to attampt more than one army. Extra Kudos to those who have.

Pats on the back all round I think.

Jonahmaul
02-08-2007, 21:08
Harry, didn't you also reveal to your wife that you had something like 1800 unpainted miniatures, or was that Hastings, I get so confused :confused: Although even if it was Hastings I'm sure you have an equally silly number to paint so your wife is probably just thinking its about bloody time rather than you being exceptional!! (I think your exceptional though if that counts!). If you bring Pie to WW, and I bring pie, and other people bring pie....I'm calling shotgun on apple pie!

And back to the thread! Ok, so I got back to sunny Cardiff a while ago (no seriously, it was actually sunny!) & have finished the details on my last 5 gobbos & done the bases so I now have my full unit of 30 with 2 fanatics painted. Light is a bit rubbish now so I'm going to wait until morning to take the pictures. I must say I'm very chuffed with myself though. It's really cool to see a whole unit come to fruition in such a small time so hurrah for this thread!

As for this months work I've decided to cut the covering off the arm of the giant so I can paint a tattoo the whole way down. If I mess up the green stuff then I can just use the shields that are on the sprues to cover over the mistake anyway. It also dawned on me while I was with my girlfriend that she is actually a really good drawer and would be able to copy my tattoo onto the giant in pencil for me quite easily so I also have someone to do the stencil - hurrah! (honestly, after 3 & half years you'd think I would've thought of her to do it sooner though!)

asmodai_dark86
02-08-2007, 21:17
Woo pie! Count me in most definately for pie!

:D What can I say I'm a student - if theres a chance to freeload then I'm there ;)

Killshot
02-08-2007, 21:45
Hi all,

I did manage to finish my first regiment for the month and I *think* I might be able to keep up. I am a nursing student and a have 5 children. My time is extremely limited, but with some strategic uses of my jokers I might make it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/beckyfrads/Miniatures/EbayWarhammerPics083.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/beckyfrads/Miniatures/EbayWarhammerPics085.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/beckyfrads/Miniatures/EbayWarhammerPics086.jpg

Harry
02-08-2007, 22:47
@Killshot
Great to see you.
Fantastic looking unit. Don't they look wonderful all together.

It would be great if you can stay with us.
But your studies are important and even without that it sounds like you have your hands full.

This is just a bit of fun.
Don't beat yourself up to try and post every month.
Theres your family and then theres everything else.
Just join us when you have found the time to do a bit. I am sure folks would sooner see you pitch up with a unit like that even if it was only every other month than drop out entirely.

I am sure I speak for everyone.

EDIT : So please post these on the other thread as well.

CMDante
02-08-2007, 22:48
Hope you can stay with the challenge mate, those Flemish are top notch and make a nice change from fantasy armies.

Well I have cleaned up, based and GS'd the gaps on 5 horrors today, what a pain in the **** the extra arms are, most of them fall off constantly without pinning so as a result (and due to the fact I don't have enough extra arms for the 20 horrors I have due to getting them in a trade) I have just filled in the gaps for a few arms and sculpted extra eyes and faces etc in instead, shouldnt be too noticeable once its painted I hope. On that topic, I reckon they should be pretty quick to paint as blue and purple, and to a slightly lesser extent, some of the pinks, cover black quite well so we'll see how quickly I can get them done and maybe I'll do ten instead.

Cheers,

Dante

Dead orc
02-08-2007, 23:31
Well, Hopefully I can find a new colourscheme for the salamander. This was what I came up with last time:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/DeadOrc/Fantasy/Lizardmen/Yuck1.jpg

YUCK! I don't think that this works at all and doesn't match the rest of the army... anybody got any suggestions?

Apart from this lizard i'll be working on a skink priest.

Killshot
03-08-2007, 01:11
@Killshot
Great to see you.
Fantastic looking unit. Don't they look wonderful all together.

It would be great if you can stay with us.
But your studies are important and even without that it sounds like you have your hands full.

This is just a bit of fun.
Don't beat yourself up to try and post every month.
Theres your family and then theres everything else.
Just join us when you have found the time to do a bit. I am sure folks would sooner see you pitch up with a unit like that even if it was only every other month than drop out entirely.

I am sure I speak for everyone.

EDIT : So please post these on the other thread as well.

Thanks Harry....I meant to post in the other thread..... :o

the eater of pie
03-08-2007, 08:44
@harry :eek:i dont appear to be on the list:eek:

this month i will be painting chaos warriors or nurglings, and a waywatcher lord and some waywatchers.

Jonahmaul
03-08-2007, 09:45
Ok, my photos are up!

@ agraae. cool lookg bray shaman, a lot lighter than you normally see beasts painted but I think it works well.

@ catferret, already commented but again very nice. Give us a better picture of the gnoblars though!

@ TheDarkArg, like the idea for the army & they look cool. Know what you mean about taking photos, hopefully we'll have an article with some good advice in warlords. Like the Dwarfs also & you've managed to get a better picture of them. Good to see uest models around too!

@ Dead orc, nice looking lizards, like your colour scheme too.

@ theeaterofpie. again already commented. Still think you should do a 'proper' snow themed treeman.

@ Erazmus, Hurrah yet again for all golbin armies! Nicely painted miniatures but I don't think the photos do them full justice as some a little blurry

@ Killshot, good to see you back. Very nice looking unit & certainly nice to see some ancient for a change. FIVE children, bloody hell that sounds like hard work!

CMDante
03-08-2007, 10:16
@ Dead Orc - That scheme works fine to my eye, might be the pics though. You could always either make the scales red to match the fins or make the fins etc black to match the scales, the later being my personal favourite option.

@ Jonahmaul - Those gobbo's are looking really nice, and 30 of them!:O How long are you taking to paint each gobbo on average?

Cheers,

Dante

Jonahmaul
03-08-2007, 10:38
I paint them in batches of 5 & I reckon that takes me between 2-3 hours of painting to do including basing them. Although I painted each of the fanatics in with batches so those took me a bit longer.

Forgot to say that the movement tray isn't theirs. Was borrowed from one of my Saurus units which is why the colours don't match up properly. Will do them their own tray at some point.

75hastings69
03-08-2007, 11:49
@ Jonahmaul, very nice Night Goblins, and you have wisely chosen to get a nice big unit done in the first month! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your army progress.

Ad-Hoc
03-08-2007, 14:48
@Skidrow,Jonahmaul, Sure thing. I don't have access to a decent camera at the moment. The picture was snapped with a loaned camera and mine is in Doncaster at the moment. I'll see if I can scrounge it up again and post some better shots.

@Well Everyone, Very very well done. Going to have to try harder to match the company i think.

Dino
03-08-2007, 15:12
@Ad-Hoc: All you have to do is try youre best and you'll do just fine.

@Dead orc: Good start on youre salamander. I really like the orange skin of youre guys(I like when people try somthing different like that and pull it of nicely).

@Killshot: Nice stuff man. Hope you'll be able to keap working on this cause you do a great job.

Ok here is the start of my Swordsmen and Spearmen units for this month.

I'll post pics of my Pistoliers later tonight.

Edit: Sorry guys, I posted up the wrong pic but don't have th original pic I wanted to post up.

Horus0001
03-08-2007, 19:11
Almost suffocated myself today with spray paint (Scotland with no wind:wtf:) but it was worth it.

Started work on the chaos puppies:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3236/woofsf3.png
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/121/woof2mz2.png

It is still very much WIP with a few mistakes still needing to be cleaned up and some highlighting on the skin.

Almost used a Grey for the skin but since im trying to link it with the warriors i had to stick with brown as thats what id used for the skin on them.

Arhalien
03-08-2007, 19:20
Great looking regiment Killshot :D

And that hound is looking very good Horus; the fur ruff fits very well with the regiment you;ve done so far.

Oh, my Drama course is now finished and I've assembled the last 6 of the Glade Guard for my painting this month.
Painting should start soon.

Harry
03-08-2007, 21:42
Harry, didn't you also reveal to your wife that you had something like 1800 unpainted miniatures, or was that Hastings, I get so confused :confused: Although even if it was Hastings I'm sure you have an equally silly number to paint so your wife is probably just thinking its about bloody time rather than you being exceptional!! (I think your exceptional though if that counts!)
That was Hastings. 1800 is a distant memory. The number would be far sillier were I to actually count. I don't wnat to know and I certainly won't be telling my wife. My wife already thinks I am bonkers without giving her facts and figures.

Well, Hopefully I can find a new colourscheme for the salamander. This was what I came up with last time:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/DeadOrc/Fantasy/Lizardmen/Yuck1.jpg

YUCK! I don't think that this works at all and doesn't match the rest of the army... anybody got any suggestions?
To save starting again you could try washing the body you have pained with orange ink. It would tie it in to the chief you have done and mean you dont have to repaint.
I saw you had use the same scheme on some of the snakes in your swarm so it would tie in with the rest of the army and it would fit with the firey nature of the salemander.

@harry :eek:i dont appear to be on the list:eek:
Appologies
I will add you now.

Almost used a Grey for the skin but since im trying to link it with the warriors i had to stick with brown as thats what id used for the skin on them.
Why didn't you go black with the hounds to tie into the colour on the armour of the nights. The fur would br agaist the black as it is with your knights. Just a thought. They are looking good.

Jonahmaul
03-08-2007, 22:39
Orange Salamanders look cool even if they are the 'official' colours scheme. I did mine in orange & was happy with the result. Harry's right about giving it an orange ink, this would make it fit in with the rest of the army well & then you could just go with whatever colour scales/fins.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
04-08-2007, 00:51
[QUOTE=Jonahmaul;1797911]@ Erazmus, Hurrah yet again for all golbin armies! Nicely painted miniatures but I don't think the photos do them full justice as some a little blurry[QUOTE]

Why Thank you. I use a Finepix 610, a great camera but it won't take a decent picture up close. I used a tripod but these are a far away shot then cropped it. I will try to master the camera for next month.

Dino
04-08-2007, 02:36
Here are the pics of my next three Pistoliers.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture120.jpg
And an extra treat(more like a corection) my Swordsmen and Spearmen.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture118.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture119.jpg

Jonahmaul
04-08-2007, 08:18
I use a Finepix F-10 but I can't master the bugger so can never get photos like I want!

Dino, umm, stop painting!! We're only 4 days into the month & your making me panic already! My months entry is still attached to the sprues!

Huw_Dawson
04-08-2007, 09:35
Rather scarily, I've already nearly finished my cannon unit. O_O

Well, to make sure I'm not going to soldier ahead, I am going to make a custom base for the unit to stand on! Take that, overactive painting arm!

- Huw

Horus0001
04-08-2007, 09:38
Why didn't you go black with the hounds to tie into the colour on the armour of the nights. The fur would br agaist the black as it is with your knights. Just a thought. They are looking good.

Hrm, black skin might make the model look a little bland but ive got 5 of them and im not batch painting them so ill give it a try and see.

Dino
04-08-2007, 13:05
@Jonahmaul: Don't worry, I plan taking it down three notches for three reasons. First I'll be painting my Knights panther for my Empire log. Second I'll be getting the Battle for Skull Pass night goblins for my greenskins log. Last I plan on starting a revamp on an old spacemarine idea I had over a year ago. So don't worry.

Harry
04-08-2007, 22:08
Well it would seem not only were my reports of killshots early departure a little premature but also Kodamas has posted his intentions to stick with this project with one arny at least.

@Kodamas
I hope we can provide some sort of support or distraction for you from the serious illness which your girlfriend is faced with. I am sure everyone joins me in wishing you both all the best for the tough months ahead.

Kodamas
05-08-2007, 11:39
Thanks Harry.
I decided to(or was told to!) complete my Orcs who have been sitting around for ages.

Here is a small WIP of what I have done so far. I plan to complete 400pts this month before things get really hectic. Sorry for not being able to do the multiple armies.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Thekodamas/Orcs/Unit-1-1.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Thekodamas/Orcs/unit-1-2.jpg

Horus0001
05-08-2007, 15:37
Pretty nice orcs. I like how you have used a dark green/grayish skin rather than the usual bright luminus orcs.

Quick question for you all:
Would the wood elf hooded head fit on top of an empire wizard?

Edit: got a pic (Thanks to Arhaliens log :p)
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5640/headkg3.png

Jonahmaul
05-08-2007, 17:00
Looking good Kodamas. Just being able to complete one army is an incredible effort with the difficulties your facing at the moment so well done. I hope that we can provide support and distraction for you.

Arhalien
05-08-2007, 18:04
@Harry; just wondering here; what are you going to do when the new High Elf book comes out in terms of the army of them you;re doing for this?

Jonahmaul
05-08-2007, 21:46
Your making an assumption that Harry doesn't already have it!

Harry
05-08-2007, 21:50
Well the High Elves I am doing now are taking into account 'rumoured' (:D) changes to the High Elves. For example you will note that my High Elf archers, done this month, fire in two ranks.

All that will be required is a quick re-count on the points. But this will only be a point here or there. (allegedly :D)

MarvyWill
05-08-2007, 22:53
My model will appear just as soon as my wife returns from sunny Staffordshire with the digital camera...

This month I think I will paint some Squig Hoppers.

Jonahmaul
06-08-2007, 08:25
Saulot - nice goblins, like the nice pale skin tone but you really need units of at least 30 for goblins as they're so rubbish!!

MarvyWill - looking forward to seeing your finished models.

Arhalien
06-08-2007, 09:19
Well the High Elves I am doing now are taking into account 'rumoured' (:D) changes to the High Elves. For example you will note that my High Elf archers, done this month, fire in two ranks.

You cunning fool you! ;)

Oh, and I've started work on the first 4 glade guard for this month. Apologies for the poor pics.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/GladeGuard1-4WIPfront.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/GladeGuard1-4WIPback.jpg

Dino
06-08-2007, 20:27
@Arhalien: Nice start you have there.

@Kodamas: Nice start, and I seriuslly hope she'll get better.

Ok now for a quick up date on my swordsmen.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture124.jpg
As you can see I still have quit a bit of work to do but i'm getting there.

Jonahmaul
06-08-2007, 21:08
Looking good Arhalien & Dino. Here's some pics of my WIP for this month. Just couple of alterations to the Giant. Used the head with the earing but cut off the earing as I didn't like it that much & I took all the covering from its right forearm. This was a lot easier to do that I thought & basically just consisted of me carving it off & then putting some GS over the top to bulk it back up. I was going to try & do some muscles on the lower arm but I'm really unskilled with GS & figured that as it's going to have a tattoo over it then it shouldn't need it.

Have also converted the cage to have a goblin in it instead of a human & make it fit my army a bit better. This is where I need a bit of help though. Can't decide whether to put the cage on the base as it is in the last picture (purposely turned to the side a bit so that it doesn't distract from the giant itself), or whether to change the hand & have the giant holding the cage instead. Tried it just hanging from the giant but it doesnt look right.

PS bizarrely I've found that taking photos at night with just my bedroom light on seems to give me the best shots!

plantagenet
07-08-2007, 08:34
What characters are you other Night Goblin players using for your army?

Namely are any of you using a Battle Standard? and do you think 1 level 2 wizard is enough?

Kraxnar
07-08-2007, 10:02
I've finally got the pic and description of the Spearelves up and made a start on the painting for August.

I've also finally been able to peruse the completed works thread and there is some fantastic work in there.
In particular, the ogre tyrant conversion by jorme really struck a chord with me as I was thinking to do a similar thing for my ogres.... when I get around to them.

@jorme did your friend have much trouble in drilling out the right hand? I was worried that if I tried that it would leave the hand looking massacred but yours has come up really well.

My favourite from last month would have to be Killshots WAB Flemish army. Man, thats just a unit of pure awesomness! Very much looking forward to seeing what is in store for this month :)

jorme
07-08-2007, 10:48
@jorme did your friend have much trouble in drilling out the right hand? I was worried that if I tried that it would leave the hand looking massacred but yours has come up really well.

well if you look very close you can se that my friend could“nt
drill out the thing he was holding in completely, and before painted it locked weird but when the painting was done it loocked natural. so he didnt have to drill away all. so it wasn“t so dangerous then.

Dino
07-08-2007, 13:07
@Jonahmaul: I'd say holding it. But if you don't want to swap the left hand I have an idea. Drill a hole inbetween the fingers then get either flooral wire or regular string and tie it onto the cage then place what ever material you chose(if you do want to use this idea) as you see fit.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-08-2007, 13:30
Hello guys, well I haven't still posted pic's from my models for last month I have finished them but I have packed them for a tournament in poland and well I will not start unpacking otherwise I forget them and I had pc issues last couple weeks so well most pic's I had are gone except some I had on my extern hard drive but those where wip's:s

So for this month I will paint a Night goblins shaman lv1, 2 scrolls( 100pts)and a Night goblins bsb, light armour and rowdy's banner (107)pts

And I will post all this stuff then in one go since I come back from poland around the 14th and well I suspect it is then way to late to post the stuff from the first month:)

Greetz
G

the eater of pie
07-08-2007, 14:13
@pmtn- thanks. lol

on to my stoof!
the pictures aren't that great put they will do(atleast you can tell what they are)they look much better irl but they still look quite good i think.

first of the my first base of nurglings:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00224.jpg

second base of nurglings:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00225.jpg

group photo:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00226.jpg

there you go i will put BSB on next post.

Horus0001
07-08-2007, 14:14
I think ill be doing closer to 350 points this month. Painting 6 models for 1 month doesnt feel right at all ;)

Mail Order Delivered My Wizard/Sorcerer today (yet im still waiting for my liber chaotica from BL, its been over 1 week).
Now all i need is a hooded wood elf head.

the eater of pie
07-08-2007, 14:17
here is ma WIP BSB he is made from the undivided champion, 2 beast men banners and some green stuff:

first the BSB himself:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00231.jpg

the back of banner the flag pole thing is made entirely of green stuff:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00229.jpg

now the front of the banner. the green stuffing doesn't look very good in the pics but is loads smooter in real life. oh well:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/666_the_number_of_the_tom/DSC00230.jpg

there you go please comment soon and i will try to get him painted up ASAP.

ceers, the eater of pie.

Horus0001
07-08-2007, 14:20
looking good eater of pie, downside is now i cant use that idea :)

the eater of pie
07-08-2007, 14:22
na, feel free i am 'borrowing' alot of conversion ideas for my chaos army from various people from various forums. :angel:

Jonahmaul
07-08-2007, 16:18
@ plantagenet. I've yet to work out my army list properly yet but I am planning on runnin a BSB along with 2 shamans & Skarsnik. I think BSB are a pretty decent options for gobbos & combined with Skarsniks LD of 8 means that they can even stick around for a bit! From my rough calculating of my army it looks like its going to be nearer 2500 points though (I'm thinkin of just painting every month & not playing any jokers).

@ the eater of pie, BSB is looking very nice, the GS is very well done & you are very skilled.

Arhalien
07-08-2007, 16:26
Right, I've finished the first 4 Glade Guard; pics tonight or tomorrow morning hopefully.
Just another 12 to go for this month's painting :D

Azyreth
07-08-2007, 17:39
@eater of pie - The chaos is looking good so far.

But now I need a bit of help. On last month's painting I made my skaven with purple shields, and now I have to decide between a few different ideas for the rest of my skaven's shields. (Thanks Jonahmaul for bringing it up, never would have thought of it myself.) I was originally going to paint them all with purple shields, but now I'm not so sure. So my choices are:
1) Make them all purple. I think this will give them all a somewhat uniform look.
2) Make them completely different colors, such as red, green, or blue. The main problem I'm having with this is that it might make the army look too different, but it might look good also.
3) The last choice I have thought of is to make all the other shields similar colors, but still different. Such as having a lighter purple unit, a dark blue, and lighter blue. This one might give the army a uniform look, but also have each unit look more individual.

I'm having trouble deciding myself, any ideas or comments would be appreciated!

75hastings69
07-08-2007, 18:24
@ Sigur, Those DE look great. Maybe when they get updated I'll have a go at them, your paint scheme looks really good.

@ Armos, I think your aspiring champion is an excellent conversion and the shield is just right! The wargor is a really great mii and you have done it justice with a wonderful paint job, well done.

Jonahmaul
07-08-2007, 20:20
@ Sigur, really like the DE, especially the shades.

@ Armos, both models are painted beautifully but especialy the asprining champion

@ Sil, may have been frustrating but those archers do look good. Don't know how your painting the white but my friend has just started painting a Bretonnian army which he is doing all white & he's been putting the new foundation paint denheb stone straight over & highlighting from that & it looks good.

@ Azyreth, I wouldn't go for different shades of purple on the shields as I think it'll look like you've forgot what colour you used between the units. I'd either go for completely different colours on each unit or stick to purple for the whole army (I think purple for the whole army would be my preference if pushed but both could look cool).

The Super Haggis
07-08-2007, 20:24
@Sup guys, how's everyone?

I was wondering why the first thread wasn't updating,:p I'll read through all the pages in this one tomorrow (can't be bothered just now!)

So I'll try actually getting some work done this month!

I have some good news though, I manged to get four A's in my Higher's, WOOOOOOT!!!! I haven't got my last which is an AS-level yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far!

Anyhoo, I'll come back when I've actually done some work........maybe!

Cheers,

Nick.

Horus0001
07-08-2007, 21:31
I have some good news though, I manged to get four A's in my Higher's, WOOOOOOT!!!! I haven't got my last which is an AS-level yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far!

Nicely done

Off to uni then? :p

CMDante
07-08-2007, 21:31
I think I might end up being a bit unintentionally lazy this month, not going to have much time for painting now it seems so I'll try my best to get the 5 horrors I promised done but at the moment its looking unlikely. Not too bad though as I still wont have to play a joker after last months 495pts but I still feel a bit dirty about it!

Cheers,

Dante

the eater of pie
07-08-2007, 22:12
@azyreth, jonahmaul: thanks you two i apreciate it. the arm which was holding the banner fell off when i was puting sand on it's base but have re glued it.

keep the comments coming:D
(no one has commented on my nurglings on page 5 you probaly all missed them:p)

cheers, the eater of pie

armos
07-08-2007, 23:00
Great Work everyone... :)

thia guy is actually a Magister for my Possessed warband but I figured he could make quite a nice Chaos Sorcerer too If needs be so figured might as well throw him in... what'd'ya reckon? (WIP i should point out :P)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/magister.jpg

sigur
07-08-2007, 23:11
@Harry: A bit late, but I saw that you called the Lordling of your DE unit Sigur. I'm honored.;)

@Armos: Nice aspiring champion there. It's quite refreshing to see a champ who doesn't look like a glorified chaos warrior but more like a tainted Empire Noble.

So I finally got to post my work for July which leaves me with a descision: What to do next? There's still much to do, no doubt, and I might go for a character this time.

Happy painting to you all!

Alex Under
07-08-2007, 23:53
Well-well...

Updated July's work right on the deadline. When the whole TOFP idea started to roll I was really excited about it, but July wasn't a good month to start as I got married on the 7th, so I've been away on our honeymoon for nearly all the month. Even so, I've managed to complete my first 200 points that you can check out on the other thread. Any comments would be appreciated.

For this month I'll be working on my Master Engineer on Mechanical Steed that costs around 140 points, considering I've painted around 260 for July I might only work on him for the August update and keep the "200 points a month" average . WIP pics quite soon!

silverstu
08-08-2007, 08:16
Hi guys- managed to post my months work finally- sorry for the lateness and bad pictures - under alot of pressure at work etc..
@Harry- honoured that i got a mention in you're dwarf army- helped me finish my boys[although they still need a bit of finishing].
great work everyone- i reckon i'll be doing a bsb and maybe another thane- just to keep tings simple.

Jedi152
08-08-2007, 08:41
That sorcerer is superb Armos! I wish i could paint skin like that...

Horus0001
08-08-2007, 08:43
@Asmos: It would make a perfect sorcerer imo. Infact ive been making something similar for this months entry (only the staff and body are similar).

The way the horn seems to have left a scabbed up area where its burst out looks awesome.

Arhalien
08-08-2007, 09:26
@Armos; that sorceror is looking superb :D

I've got pics of the 4 finished Glade Guard if anyone's interested:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/GladeGuard1-4fronmt.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/GladeGuard1-4back.jpg

Jonahmaul
08-08-2007, 09:36
Good work silverstu & alex.

Well done SuperHaggis on your results & congratulations on getting married Alex Under.

@the eater of pie, the nurglings look cool.

@Armos, sorcer looks very cool, looking forward to seeing it finished.

^Changer^
08-08-2007, 11:44
Here's those warriors I promised. Pretty satisfied with the color scheme, hopefully it'll look exquisite when painted up in large numbers. I kind of went for a rogue theme, and wanted them to look a bit rag-tag-ish. These BFSP warriors will be mixed with ordinary plastic ones. I'll try to get that Thane done ASAP, and after that it's more warriors.

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/9895/warriorsfrontxt5.jpg

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8537/warriorsbackqp2.jpg

Dino
08-08-2007, 13:27
@armos: The sorcerrer looks really good. Can't wait to see him finished.

@^Changer^: The dwarfs look really nice. Good luck on the Thane.

Jonahmaul
08-08-2007, 19:12
@ ^Changer^ those Dwarfs look really good. Really like the weather beaten look that you have for them, especially the shields.

silverstu
08-08-2007, 21:59
@Jonahmaul- cheers mate- just tying to keep up!
@Changer- nice dwarfs-looking good
@armos- thats a great looking sorcerer

as for myself i have decided to convert a bsb from juan's punk white dwarf rather than the bsb model i have- because he looks insane but i hate the hand doffing the hat- so i plan to replace that with a standard. well that's the plan anyway..

Dino
09-08-2007, 00:44
Here are my ALMOSt :( finished Middenland Swordsmen(they would be finished but all my brushes went caputsky on me).
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture127.jpg
They will hopefully be finished by Friday cause I'm getting brushes tommarrow.

Harry
09-08-2007, 05:04
@Eater of pie
Good lord. I did nearly that exact same conversion for my BSB. Spooky.
I big improvement on your treeman conversion if you don't mind me saying.

@Armos
Love that magister. In fact I like everything you put a brush on so no suprise that I like this but I do especially like this. :D

@Arhalien.
Off to a cracking start this month.

@Everyone else.
I do apologise. I had meant to comment on everyones work as it was posted and had made a good start with the first 20 posters on day one but then real life got in the way. But let me see if I can get back on top of it.

July's painting. well done to everyone who has completed and posted for month one.

@Dave3555
Love your runesmith. Love your skin tone. Whilst i am still not sure I like NMM, yours is great. Makes my efforts at dwarfs look very shabby. So if you could stop that please. :D

@Huw-Dawson.
Again nice skin and your beard was especially successful. good use of rock! i do like to see dwarf army with plenty of rocks.

@Azyreth
cough bases cough :D I suppose i should cut you some slack. you have taken on Skaven after all!

@Arhalien.
Nice muted colours on your woodies. Very woody! Nice bases. Nice that you finally settled on a project and well done for getting something posted and not jokering the first month.

@Afghanwig
If that was your first mini in ten years i look forward to seeing what you can do when you get back into the swing of things. Look forward to the boss. Don't forget to edit your first post rather than post again. Cheers.

@The varks
Very nice bases on the Wardancers. What did you use for your rocks?
I like the shamans cloak. I am less convinced by the turquoise blue. (it looks a bit more sea Elf than Woodelf).

@Aggraee
Nice start. I love all the changes you made to this from the standard 'out of the packet' mini.
Will blue be the theme through-out the army? I saw this done to great effect just recently on a beastman army.

@Catferret.
Love your ogres. I do like to see ogres with pink skin and yours is especially good. The overall effect (especially with the gnoblars) is very dark and moody. nice.

@The Dark Arg
Never call them done until they have got shields and bases! My dwarf shields took me nearly as long to paint as the minis!
Nice skellies BTW. Your shields and bases are both beatifully done.

More nice rocky bases on Dwarfs. All you Dwarf painters have put my basing to shame.
(Makes note to himself. "Dwarves live under the mountains. make bases look moor rocky!)

@Dead Orc.
Love the orange skink. Very eye catching. very different from the standard blue/green skink.
I like the way you have extended the use of the orange on to one or two of your snakes. It works well when you let colour themes run though -out an army. It ties them together into a whole.

@The eater of pie.
Woodies : The snowman. Errrrrrrrm. Yes.
Chaos : Always best not to paint with brush in one hand and chicken leg in the other.
But you got away with it. Nice start. Lovely to see such an old plastic mini have life breathed into it and brought 'up to date'.

@Erazmus_M_Wattle
Nice minis. And some nice scenery there in the back ground. You should try selling some of that on ebay. :D
Well done on getting some painting done despite your other commitments.

@Killshot
Already commented on your work on this threadd but it is beautiful and well done for getting them done.

@Jonahmaul
Brave man going for night gobbos. Good start with a nice big unit out of the way and all apinted tpo such a high standard. Well done. I like my gobbos bright too.

@Jme
Love the conversions. the heads do well with the elfy boddies. they are nice for scale. they must have cost a few quid.
Exciting theme/conversions. I am looking forward to seeing this army develop.

@kodamas.
Happy you are still with us even though you were forced to joker this month.
A little and often thats the key. half an hour a night or an hour every other. It adds up to a lot of painting time without needing to take a day out from your other commitments. All the best. Harry.

@asmodai.
Nice Boris. They really do make some very nice minis at Heresy. He looks good as a chaos model. have you considered some tat's to break up all that flesh?

@Doi
Nice Hydra. You have picked out the details on the Hydras skin beautifully. More nice bases/ How did you do the deep snow?

@Saulot.
great months painting well done. I love the gobbos you have managed to achieve a really different look to your BFSP NG'S. Which is hard when there are so many about. Yours really stand out from the crowd. I love the rusty effect you ahve achieved on your spears. tell me how you achieve that patchy effect? Is that just a dry brush over the top of the rusty colours?

@Dave is the best
Sorry you had to joker this month. Hope you get it done for next month.

@jorme
Tell your friend that is a very nice conversion. You have also done it justice with a very nice paint job. (Although I can't get my head around GW grey skin). Your base is excellent.
Don't worry about being late. You got it done. Well done.

@Marvywill
Another skarsnik. Another excellent paint job. I think you could go another tone/colour lighter, brighter and your bones hornes and teeth. But otherwise great job and nice basing.

@Kraxnar
Beautiful High Elves. Very neatly painted. Very smooth. Yoor shields look great and your platemail is immaculate. How do you paint your plate? Is that just silver with a black wash or do you use a more complicated method. Considering how much you still feel you ahev to do they look pretty damn good to me! I can see I am going to have to tidy up my painting if my elevs are going to compete with these.

Really excited to see your opther project ahveing seen these.

@Toryn
sorry you were away from hoem and had to joker this month. Look forward to seeing what you do for nest month.

@Khrangar
I know you ahve been stuck waiting for your mail order so well done on pulling this together fast to have something to show us. look forward to seeing it completed next month.

@happy docter.
Cough bases cough Well done on getting a unit painted though. I love those old dwarfs. Full of character. Will the whole army be classic marauder dwarfs or did you just have this odd regiment?

@Sigur
Lovely neat painting. Lovely skin tone, lovely purples on the fabrics. Just lovely.
Not bad for a weeks work. (I have run out of smiles being only aloud four images but I am grinning as I know the lack of disiplin of which you speak only too well after years of inactivity on the painting front).

@armos.
What can I say. As already said I love your stuff. Lovely dirty chaos metalics, lovely rich reds, lovely conversion on the champ. Great stuff. I am glad you were persuaded to join in. I look forward to seeing whats next.

@Kyussinchains.
Sorry the pressures of work meant you were forced to joker this month. Hope things ease down a bit and you are able to get it done this month. I have started to use painting as my way of unwinding after a long day. Beats collapsing in the sofa and watching whatever comes on TV.

@Sil
I real feel you with the archers. I found mine a real chore to paint aswel. And I started with a white undercoat!!! Still you got them done and they are out of the way and you have got to be happy with the final result. Beautifully smooth painting and lovely shading and highlighting on the tan fabrics and you have achieved a unique non eavymetal look you were after. good job.

@Super haggis
sorry you had to joker but you were away saving the planet so you are forgiven.
You have also taken on a lot of conversion work for the first month so you were always up agaist it. it really sucks up the time.

@Alex under
I can't believe you got anything painted at all. You got married at the start of this month! Get a grip man. Your supposed to be being all loved up not sneaking off to paint your mini's! Now thats commitment. Congtatuaalations on getting married. i hope you will be very happy and congratualations on not only getting your painting done but on finding a women that let you get away with it.

@silverstu
First time I have seen a unit of these new miners painted. you have made them look great i ahve not been bothered about them before. Lovely smooth skin, nice meatlics. Very, very nice considering you feel there is so much still to do, they look well. I would like to see some of your other dwarfs (take some pics and start a log) and look forward to seeing more of this army done. hope work eases up and you find it easier this month.

@Changer
Don't worry about changing armies and being forced to joker. It is better to change now that get into it and then loose interest because you picked the wrong army. Good luck with the dwarves. You can never have too many dwarves. I love um.

Phew! I think thats everyone. I do hope I didn't miss anyone.
Thank you all for posting.
I have to say I am more than a little impressed by the standard of painting we are seeing in this thread.
This looks all set to be a hugely successful project for us all.
I am really enjoying everyones contributions and the results of all your hard work.
Well done everyone.

Arhalien
09-08-2007, 08:55
@Arhalien.
Off to a cracking start this month.
@Arhalien.
Nice muted colours on your woodies. Very woody! Nice bases. Nice that you finally settled on a project and well done for getting something posted and not jokering the first month.

Thanks Harry :D Although without your pestering I probably wouldn;'t have done anything last month.
I suppose I should thank you.... :p

Anyway, no further work on the Wood Elves yet as Im working on a few High Elf Spearmen; I felt I needed to paint something which didn;t requite multiple different mixes of paint colours like the Wood Elves did; red white and bronze over black seems like a picnic (edit: Did I really spell picnic with a K?) in comparison :rolleyes: ;)

The Super Haggis
09-08-2007, 10:03
Major kudos to Hazza for replying to everyone, all praise the god of the TOFP!:D

Anyways, just wanted to say that, and that I'm off to get some W&N brushes! Woooo! And maybe some paints. I'll maybe get some work done, I think I might make some greatswords, or maybe not, or maybe something else!

Cheers,

Nick.

Harry
09-08-2007, 10:18
I have updated the first post as follows.

If anyone is not on the list or I have made some mistake 9more than likely). :D Please let me know and I will correct my information.

I have to say I am happy with the responce.

Over 80 armies signed up.
Only 10 jokers played (Just 12 %)
Although 20 NO SHOWS (25%) Poor show! (although I have heard from Rich123 to say he is moving house and has no internet connection so he is forgiven). I have only had one Painter officially drop out ... soooo its possible some of the NO SHOW's are just even more disorganised than I am amd may still Show up :D
But that leaves over 50 armies (over 60%) on track. If we include those forced to joker this month then 75% of the initial armies are still in the picture.

Here is the run down:

THE PAINTERS (OF FANTASY ARMIES)

Ad-HoC : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Afghanwhig : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Agraaee : Beasts of Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Alex Under : Empire. (Nuln) : 1 Months painting : 1 New bride : No jokers
Alfo : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No Jokers
Arhalien : Finally settled on Woodies : 1 months painting : No jokers
Armos : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No Jokers
Azyreth : Skaven : 1 Months painting ; No jokers
Baron konrad : Empire (Nordland) : NO SHOW
Capatin Wolverine. : Dwarfs : NO SHOW
Catferret : Ogres 1 Months painting : No jokers
Charger : changed to Dwarfs : 1 Joker
CM Dante : Hordes of Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
cthulhedreamt : Skaven : NO SHOW
Cyphertheory : High Elves : NO SHOW
Dave3555 : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Dave is best : High Elves : 1 Joker
Deadorc : Lizardmen : 1 Months painting : No Jokers
Destris : Tomb Kings : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Dino : Empire : 1 Months painting : No joker
Doi : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Erazmus : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
ExquisiteEvil : Chaos Dwarfs : DROPPED OUT COUGH LOSER COUGH
Eyeolas : Orcs and Goblins : NO SHOW
Frep : Dwarves : NO SHOW
happy doctor : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : High Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Daemonic Legion : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Harry : Vampire Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Empire (Ostland) : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Beasts of Chaos : 1 joker
Hastings : Nurgle Daemonic Legion : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hastings : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting. No jokers
Hellbore : Undead Lizardmen : 1 Joker
Hespithe : Khornate Doombull ogres : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Hollopoint : Lizardmen : NO SHOW
Huw Dawson : Dwarves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jedi : Bretonnians : 1 Joker
jme : Dark Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jonahmaul : Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Jorme : Ogres : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Horus0001 : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Khrangar : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Killshot : Flemish WAB : 1 Months painting : 5 children : No jokers
Knighta : Skaven : 1 Months painting : No jokers.
Kodamas : Orks : 1 joker
Kraxnar : Chaos : 1 joker
kraxnar : High Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Kyussin chains : Ogres : 1 joker
Ladynee : Dwarf : NO SHOW
Lars Beernus : O&G or Mixed Chaos : NO SHOW
Lynuss : Bretonnians : NO SHOW
Marvywill : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Mikari : Wood Elves : NO SHOW
Mrs Urgeon : Empire : NO SHOW
Mutantdale : Chaos AND Beasts of chaos : NO SHOW
Netguru : Empire : 1 months painting : No jokers
OnkaDonka : Daemonic Legion (Nurgle) : NO SHOW
OoberNoob : Tomb Kings : NO SHOW
Plantagenet : Night Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Plantagenet : Brettonians : 1 months painting : no jokers
PMTN : Empire : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Rich 123 : Night Goblins : NO INTERNET MOVING HOUSE
Saulot : Orcs and Goblins : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Schoolcormorant : Bretonnians : NO SHOW
Sigur : Dark Elves : 1 months painting : No jokers
sil : High Elves : 1 months painting : No jokers
Silverstu : Dwarfs AND Vampire Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
The Super Haggis : Empire (Stirland Vampire Hunters) : 1 jokers
The boyz : Chaos Nurgle : 1 Months painting : No jokers
TheDarkArg : Vampie Counts : 1 Months painting : No jokers
TheDarkArg : Dwarfs : 1 Months painting : No jokers
The eater of Pie : Woodies : 1 Snowman : No jokers
The eater of Pie : Chaos : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Toryn : Dogs of war (Kislev) : 1 joker
Unhellig : High Elves : NO SHOW
Varks : Wood Elves : 1 Months painting : No jokers
Voltaire : Chaos (Nurgle) : NO SHOW
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull : Night Goblins : NO SHOW
Zark the Dammed : Ogres : 1 Months painting : No Jokers.

armos
09-08-2007, 17:20
ok let's have a look at month one then now that my boss has left the office:

@Harry: Lovely job all round, remarkable actually considering the number of models you've managaed to get through! The high-Elves in particular are gorgeous, lovely crisp white and the bases compliment them really nicely. The old dwarfs are nice to see and the bases of the bloodletters are really nice to... an example to us all!

@Zark the Damned: Nice ogres, the extra armour works well and the paint job is nicely done. some sort of simple design on the back shields would set these guys off a treat.

@PMTN: Nice job, although the the red parts do look a little pink to me. unless that's your intention I would suggest a few thin glazes of red ink to bring out the colour a little more.

@Ad-Hoc: Looking good so far

@Dino: nice conversion on the Grand master and nice job overall: I wouldn't have thought the blue on the bases would have worked but somehow it does.. and it's certainly eye-catching!

@CMDante: Beautiful work as ever, I really like the blue flame effect and the glowing golds are nice too. I like the fact that you've used a limited pallette but still produced a mini that is 100% tzeentch... conversion is seamless too. looking forward to seeing more.

@Hespithe: Nice original conversion. The flame effects are great but it's the little details that make this mini like the khorne symbol on the stomach. The pose is great too. top notch!

@The boyz: nice warriors, the stained effect of the armour is positively disgusting... in a good way!

@Knighta: Brave man doing Skaven for this. good job on the night runners.. the half-emerging skaven with the lantern is nice

@Destris: lovely use of drybrushing on the Tomb King.. looks nice and old an decayed. the weathering on the shield is especially effective.

@Plantagenet: Nice goblins.. the skintones especially. Can't look at the Skarsnick model without smiling and this is a particularly well produced one.. the tongue and gums done very nicely.
The Freehand on the knights is gorgeous too.. and the subtle conversion work on the morning star is really effective too... as is the banner. excellent job.

@NetGuru: Lovely stuff all round, very crisp work on all your models! the yellows on the knights and the handgunners are especially eye-catching. look forward to more.

@75hastings69: Outriders are gorgeous, the neutral tones and oiled metals compliment each other nicely and the paint job is nice and clean. The flame effects on the wizard are very nice too, as is the shading on the cloak.
Skarsnik is well done too and can't wait to see more of the Great Unclean one

@Horus0001: Nice Warriors, this colour scheme is gonna look very striking en-mass. Nice clean paint job too.

@dave3555: Beautiful Runepriest! great skin tones, golds are amazing! just a stunning job.

@Huw_Dawson: Nice Lord... some sort of simple design on the shield will really set this guy off.

@Azyreth: another brave one doing Skaven!. Good job getting them all done... painting the bases would give these guys that finshed look though.

@Arhalien: Nice Highborn, good paint job and it's a relief to see a wood elf model that doesn't rely on green.

@afghanwhig: Nice Shaman, the fungi in the pot is especially eye cathcing

@the varks: Nice wardancers, the bases are very effective. Nice subtle conversion work on the spellsinger too... excellent stuff.

@aggraae: Nice conversion work on the shaman there and on the base especially... the blue and orange compliment each other well (though some might consider it a little bright for beastmen)

@Catferret: I like the dark, moody looking Gnoblars.. and the little flash of colour from the flames.. like it a lot. The Ogres are great too.. nice clean paint job and the metal areas are really effective.

@TheDarkArg: Nice Skellies, the gold on the champion is particularly striking.
Dwarfs are very nice and it's great to see the old Warhammer Quest Dwarf make an appearance.

@Dead orc: Loving the skin-tone on the skink... this is probably my favourite model in the Lizardman range and you've done a great job. swarms are nice too.

@the eater of Pie: Snowman made me laugh, not quite what I'd imagine most people have in mind when they think Tree-man though. Nice to see someone else painting up the old Chaos sorcerer too.

@Erazmus_M_Wattle: lovely job on the Goblins... the bright skintone on the night goblin is really effective and the simple conversion works fantastically well.. I may have to steal that idea for the wolf rider.

@Killshot: Lovely crsip paint job and the brightly coloured shields are very effective.

@Jonahmaul: nice unified look to your goblins, look forward to seeing more.

@jme: Great idea for the elves and for the army as a whole.. paint job is very striking.

@asmodai_dark86: lovely looking model and the skin tone is very nice, I look forward to seeing the force based around him.

@Doi: nice use of drybrusing on the War Hydra and the red of the mouth contrasts nicely on the grey. Clean paint job on the handlers is good and the purple contrasts with the grey of the hydra effectively.

@Saulot: lovely job and the greens on the goblins are particularly effective.. almost glowing. the troll is gorgeous too.. and the metallic effects are especially nice

@jorme: Lovely conversion work on the Ogre and the paint job is well pulled off.. the milky eyes are especially disturbing.

@MarvyWill: can't get enough of the Skarsnik model, the glossy red of the tongue is very nice indeed.

@Kraxnar: Lovely crisp and clean paintjob on the elves and the basing is effective too

@Khrangar: look forward to seeing more of your prince.. nice work so far.

@happy_doctor: nice job with the dwarfs... good to see the older models... the dwarfs had so much character in those days.

@Sigur: lovely work on the dark elves matey.. been following your log and your stuff just gets better and better.. the shades are especially nice... the purple cloaks being particularly eye-catching. excellent stuff!

@armos: stop wasting time on the internet and get back to work!!! :p

@Sil: Great job on the high elves... very clean paint job and very effective.

@Alex Under: Nice work on the Helblaster... and the wizard is especially nice, the free-hand is particularly impressive.

@Silverstu: Nice Miners, the flame's on the candles are really well done and draw attention to the regiment really well, the ruddy skin tones are nice too, good job.

whew! well I think that's everyone.. really sorry if I missed anyone out ... and sorry for over-use of the word 'nice'. Great job so far everyone!

Doi
10-08-2007, 00:15
@ Harry: For the snow bases I used this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/323) tutorial from Cool Mini or Not. Though one thing I'd add to it is to not attach the model to the snow itself (I've done so on other models and even the slightest knock causes it to fall off and to take part of the snow with it:mad:) but rather use some sort of spacer between the model and the base (I used a piece of sprue under each foot for the handlers while the hydra was pinned to the base, leaving a gap of about 5mm between the foot and the base, and used GS to fill in the gap under the foot).
And I've just noticed that you've got me on the list as Dio not Doi so if you wouldn't mind changing that for me

Well I've got the day off school today :D so I'm going to get started on the 25 spearmen I have to do this month. It's only more models than I've painted in about two years:eek: so it might be a bit of a challenge

Ad-Hoc
10-08-2007, 00:22
Ok. Sorry for the delay but heres the previously Promised close ups.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/AdHoc/gobbos.jpg
and the Fanatics
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/AdHoc/fanatics.jpg

I apologise for blurry-cam i might even work out how to use the camera for this months work.

sigur
10-08-2007, 01:01
@Harry and armos: Wow, thank you for writing up comments on every single participant who posted the final results of the first month.;)

@Doi: Thanks for the link, I might use that technique instead of getting special snow effect stuff.

Here are the first ~125pts of this month I'm working on: five Dark Riders. Originally, I wanted to paint a character but Dark Riders are an important part of every DE army so I should do them first. It also spares me from getting into a converting dilemma. As you probably know, DE have no miniatures for fighty characters at all and I need at least three of those.

Anyway, the unit is still very WIP (and came out pretty dark). The guy in the left is a test miniature for the cloaks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/DarkRiderswip1-1.jpg

Voltaire
10-08-2007, 01:24
How very dare you call me a no-show. I'll post the picture of the Nurgle Sorceror tomorrow for you just to prove a point now!

EDIT: My no-showing has been down to more pressing matters than my painting i.e getting stuff together to satisfy the readership of the Watchman. That shouldn't be an excuse now though as I need to paint a new army for the 15th of September and it looks like my Nurgle are going to be just the army for it!

Khrangar
10-08-2007, 01:54
Not much of an update but I managed to finish greenstuffing my daemon prince and attached him to his base. I should be able to begin painting on the weekend or so.

Khrangar

asmodai_dark86
10-08-2007, 02:49

Ahhh see Harry, you one of the fellas that keeps us all going. The fact you've gone to the effort of remember pointless stuff like that :D

Anyway, I feel I should step in with my new pictures. Heres the latest update of my lord...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0142-1.jpg

The black half arsed chaos star was my original intention then I got fed up, went crazy, and so theres the result. Not great, not even close. Meh.

Anyway, next unit! (which comes in at around the 250-300 mark. More when I add some of the front rankers with extra stabbage).

Yendrek's 'Jolly Green Fighting Men'

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0144-1.jpg

I've always wanted to do a unit like this. All full of crazy models I've had. The little guy with the top hat is Van Halfling from the Heresy Miniatures (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/)range, who will act as the musician of the unit whilst the one legged marienburger will act as the standard bearer. Theres also a black tree spartan in the back rank.

I'm also working on a green stuff casting to add to there tower sheilds. It basically looks like the green man (http://deangustafson.net/greenman.jpg). I've also removed half the studs from every shield so they look a little less bretonnian.

The models were taken on this little set up which I also cobbled together from half a land raider box using little resources. It'll do nicely me thinks.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0145-1.jpg

I am also pondering on how big I want Yendreks lads to be (double the number perhaps...), and whether his evil cousin Sternhorst will make an appearance with his 'Fine and Dandy Duelists', or should I add in some of those ogre chappies...

I have a feeling that my army might be less Chaosy and more Dogs-of-war-y by the time we get to christmas. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Harry
10-08-2007, 05:38
@Changer
Good start on those dwarfs

@Dino
You are cracking on with those swordsmen. Well done mate.

@Doi
apologies on the name thing. I will go and sort it now.
Thanks for the snow tutorial. Hastings has put me onto this stuff called micro balloons which looks great gut its going to be too expensive for deep snow so this looks great. A few people seem to experience cracking/crumbling problems with this. Have you had any problem with it? Any tips on how to avoid it? I am interested cos I have done a Snow/arctic board and I am just about to start terrain pieces for it.

@Ad-Hoc
Your metalics do look very good now they can be seen a bit better.
What colour did you use for rust underneath, is that, drybrushed 'chainmail'?

@Sigur
Off to a cracking start clearly keen to avoid last minute panic this month. :D

@voltaire
The watchman .... never heard of it. Whats all that about? :D
I know youv'e been busy. Whenever you get the time if you could just post I will change me list.

@khrangar
Good luck with the painting. I imagine it will be nice to start.

@Asmodai
Boris looks great. You did tats (Great minds think alike) or is that more 'warpaint'? it looks very Conan the Barbarian.

Love the rag tag unit.
I have been going to get Van halfling from Heresy.

Love your photo box.

Your post shows just what can be achieved, on a budget with a bit of creativity. Good man!

sigur
10-08-2007, 07:52
Panic? Me? Don't be silly.:p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/darkriderswip3.jpg

@asmodai_dark86: I have to agree with Harry, the Jolly Green Fighting Men look great, I really like the colourscheme. Your photobox looks nice too. Kinda like mine, but quite a bit better.;)

plantagenet
10-08-2007, 08:37
Harry Skarsnik is going to be pissed with you if you keep saying he is part of a Skaven army :)

Thanks for the nice comments Armos

Harry
10-08-2007, 08:39
So heres a thought.
Seeing how asmodai is a bit strapped for cash but has the creativity to make use of all sorts of bits and pieces.
If amodai were to post an address where stuff can reach him we could all post a few scrap bretonnian or empire plastic bits we have knocking around. Theres so many of us in this if only half of us sent him a couple of men each he would have another 50 men to go at. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure. A few bits from your bits box, a few pence on postage and asmodai has enough bits to double or treble the size of 'Yandreks jolly green fighting men'

What say you fellow TOP painters. Shall we see asmodai go hungry or pitch in and help him create Asmodai's Rag tag Dogs of War and keep him painting for another month. (or two). :D

Come on lad, give us an address. If we can't give our fellow painters a hand what's the point of coming together like this?

sigur
10-08-2007, 09:09
Come on lad, give us an address. If we can't give our fellow painters a hand what's the point of coming together like this?

Wait a second, this whole thing's purpose is not that you humiliate people by showing us your immense speed and quality of painting?:p

Just kidding. I'll look if I find some Bretonnian or Empire plastic stuff lying around.;)

75hastings69
10-08-2007, 09:10
Good idea, I'm in.

Jonahmaul
10-08-2007, 09:17
I've just got a s**t load of Empire from a mate that I was going to buy from him but not going to know so have to give them back! However, he has just started a Tau army so I can give him some of my spare Tau in exchange for a few sprues of the Empire stuff quite easily. Reckon I could russle up at least 10 men if not more. Whatcha after asmodi? You can buy me a pint at our TOFP p**s-up!

@ sigur, no fighting DE characers, *ahem* Felix *ahem* Avatars of War *ahem*!! I'm hoping for DE to be released in about 10 months in time for next years TOFP! Harry/Hastings - any chance of this!

Arhalien
10-08-2007, 09:21
Erm, I'm afraid the only bitz I have are High Elf, Wood Elf or Eldar so I can't really help at all.
Best of luck though Asmodai, and sorry I can;t help :(

Harry
10-08-2007, 11:16
Wait a second, this whole thing's purpose is not that you humiliate people by showing us your immense speed and quality of painting?:p
I know you were only kidding but...
It really isn't.
I hope this does not come accross that way to anyone.
I was seeking motivation for myself.
I just got over excited once the ball got rolling and thought of so many different projects I would like to do.
If it was it is going to backfire and I am the one who will be humiliated. I have hardly started this months painting because of other stuff I have been doing. (see my Log) and painting scenery for this new club I am starting. (Tonight is the first night!)
Theres no way I am going to meet this months commitment on all my armies never mind keep it up for all 5 armies for the next 12 months. I must have been bonkers starting five.

Jonahmaul
10-08-2007, 11:25
Some would even say bOnkers!!! In fact, I believe I did!! I think this threads a brilliant idea. If you started it in order to motivate yourself I don't care. Especially with all the effort your putting in keeping up-to-date with everyone's progress. I haven't started painting my effort for this months 200 points and don't think i'm going to have chance until after uni work is handed in on 20th :eyebrows:

grr - Harry edited his spelling mistake before my post picked him up on it!

asmodai_dark86
10-08-2007, 11:53
Well thats a comfort fellas seeing as though I realised yesterday how much I'd buggered up my loan form (applied for the wrong type of loan - meant I'd only get three grand and the uni would take half of that for tuition fees, leaving me with a third of what I usually get! It wouldnt have even paid my rent till christmas). Things are slowly getting sorted though - I have an interview for a certain lovely fresh sandwich shop today so hopefully I wont be too poor for that much longer, and I still have a unit of knights and chaos lord in one of my boxes so I'm good, model wise, till christmas at least. Its a very cool idea though :D
Basically at the moment I'm about 1000pts short, but seeing as I wont have to worry about that till after Christmas, I think I'm alright for awhile (Thats a big Think though, so if I post a message saying 'oh god oh god I need some pikemen' dont be suprised :P)

@Harry - Cheers mate, but as I might be coming into some money, and I dont want to take anyones figures under false pretenses, I'd like to hold off for a bit as said above. And I dunno, you've done well so far and you have to remember that every army you're painting for ths iirc has fairly expensive characters. Like me, you effectively have two 'blagged' months with each army.
Theres a though - if you were to paint an ogre mercenary unit for each army, you'd effectively have a six army (5 armies, 200 points ogres for each, 1000pts of ogres!)
Also, had a bit of a brain wave - sent you a PM
Oh and yeh, I was going for a Conan the Barbarian look to him (I'm a massive fan of Robert E Howard) although when it started to go wrong I got fed up so he looks half as good as he usually wood. Meh I'll have another crack in a month or two.

@Arhalien - I have a big bunch of high elves (were nearly going to be my second army for this as, yet again, I have about a thousand points worth) so I'm sure a few wil find there way into Yendreks lost.

@Johanmaul - See what I said to Harry :D

@Sigur - I dunno fella, you do have that purple nailed and the dark steed flesh does look pretty smart. The bases let them down though I feel, how did you do them?

If anyone would just prefer to send me something so they dont have to later (or just wants to further encourage a migration to Dogs of War), PM me and Ill send you my address happily. All homeless humans, elves, dwarves, Halflings and gobbos happily accepted :D PM me and ill send my address over.

MarvyWill
10-08-2007, 14:55
All this public spirit makes me positively gleeful. I have lots of Empire and other bits and bobs hanging around so if you get short Asmodai let me know.

Perhaps there is a kernel of another idea here...I was thinking about what I was going to do with my joker months and wondered about painting something other than Gobbos. Perhaps we could organise some sort of joint effort army? Some sort of TOFP alliance? Dogs of War springs to mind of course but there are others. Chaos warbands for instance, with us each contributing a character...

Just thought it would a) give me something different to paint and b) continue the bonhomie that surrounds this little venture.

Anyway, an idea to bounce around.

Good work chaps, keep it up. My painting this month will be better than last, damnit.

Ad-Hoc
10-08-2007, 15:28
@Harry, All metallics on the unit are Bolt gun metal. I then take a very very badly treated brush thats split into multiple points (think the poor thing is a very old citadel Starter brush) run it quickly through some black ink spread on a flat surface (usually the side of the pot) and then sort of jab it at the metal very fast. I like to think of my Night Gobbo's intentionally dulling their metals with Charcoal.

@Sigur, love the purple.

@Asmodai, Your lord is giving me a really Kratos vibe. Dunno if thats intentional but its hardly a bad thing.

sigur
10-08-2007, 16:30
@Harry: :eek::o Foreigner no more try making funnys. I really was just kidding. You're kinda like the flagship of this whole thing, painting three armies at once, showing pictures of hordes of Wolves painted in impressive speed, uploading lovely miniatures from earlier days, motivating us all. You're putting lots of efford into this whole thing, updating the threads, commenting on everything the painter post and so on.

@asmodai: Sure, the bases are unpainted yet. I'll paint them to fit with the Shades'/Cold One Knights' ones and add some snow later.;)

@Ad-Hoc: Thanks.;)

asmodai_dark86
10-08-2007, 17:47
Well the interview was swift and pretty positive.. until I found out that the woman was doing another two hours of interviews that same day and another 4 on Sunday - my total lack of work experience is going to bite me on the **** but meh, she said she'd let me know by next week so heres hoping.

I've got Daves the best sending me some of the new empire soldiers which is cool as he said he wanted to get rid of em.

Marvyhill - It does sound like a cool idea but then again I dont want everyone heading down the dogs of war route and getting detached from there armies (personally anyway). Its a great way to break up the painting, but Im currently doing it while I try and find enough knights to make a unit.

Damnit gotta run, catch you all after the weekend

Kodamas
10-08-2007, 21:15
Well Asmodai - I have a cannon and a few knights with a warrior priest with your name on it if you want it. PM me if you do.

I have been quiet on the painting front but with some time off and only 2 planned hospital visits I plan on painting my 400pts of Orcs next week so expect a few WIP shots.

I may do a little more to tide me over. something tells me that September is going to be a busy month.

Jonahmaul
11-08-2007, 14:33
Right folks, I need suggestions as I'm hoping to spray my giant soon. Do I go for the cage on the base as in the picture or in the giant's hand? I'm leaning more towards it being in its hand at the moment because I think that it might looka little too static if its on the base. What do you guys think?!

Dino
11-08-2007, 19:21
@asmodai:I might be having some state troops and freecompany men I wont be needing but won't getting them for a while. PM me if intereted.

@Jonahmaul: Put the cage in it's hand I say.

Good news everybody, I have an update.(and then their's dead silance)

Now here is the FINISHED(well sort of) Swordesmen.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture128.jpg
And some work I did on the standard(which is really good work expecially coming from me).
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture130.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture129.jpg
Not shure what to put above the Middenland scroll.

Doi
12-08-2007, 00:49
@ Harry: The first unit I tried the snow bases on had a habit of breaking off the base (and taking part of the snow with it) but I've overcome that problem by not attaching the model to the snow itself but instead cut a piece of sprue (only about 3mm or so long) and blu tac it to the feet of your model and then glue it to the base. Take your model off and then apply the snow to the base, leaving the top of the sprue uncovered, and when it's dried put your model on to it. Alternativily you could pin the model to the base (leaving a gap between the feet and the base) instead of using sprue. In terms of wear and tear kind of damage to it I'm hoping that a couple of coats of sealant will stop it (one coat seemed to prevent most wear and tear damage so I'm hoping doing two coats would get almost all of it). But I have to admit that I've not had much practice with this technique myself as the hydra and handlers are only the second unit that I've based.
And how did you go about making your snow/arctic board? I've done my snow board by spraying the table with a spray adhesive and putting bicard soda on it. The problem is that it seems very fragile as it breaks quite easily even when it's been sprayed with a sealant several times.

Well it's nearly half way through the month and I've finished one spearmen and halfway through four more. Trust school to give me loads of homework and tests during the month I decide to get the largest block of models out of the way. Well the amount of school work I'm getting looks to be returning to normal after this week so then I can return my focus to painting.

Khrangar
12-08-2007, 03:51
A non-pic update of my progress: I primed and began painting my Daemon Prince, he has the start of white skin. Will have pics tomorrow.

Khrangar

Saulot
12-08-2007, 05:25
wow moster posts from Harry and armos! Thanks for taking time to comment on everyone!

@Harry: I just stippled scorched brown and then blazing orange on mithril silver spear tips. after that, I picked out edges with chainmail. Glad you liked them. Also, sorry to mention this, but you left me out on the list (on page 1) hehehehe...

@Jonahmaul: don't worry, 20 NG w/ FC is not my final unit size! I'm adding to it as of the moment... ;)

btw, i think i remember someone post a sample backdrop for taking pictures of your minis... the blue to white sheet? can anyone post a link? i forgot where i found it... thanks!

keep up the posts guys! its a blast to read! :D

Harry
12-08-2007, 06:05
@Saulot
Thanks (and to everyone who has answered my questions regarding rusty spears). I have been struggling to find a rusty metal effect I am happy with so I will give these a go.

Apologies I have now added you to both the list on the first page and the updated list on the last page.

@Alfo
I have also amended your NO SHOW now that you have posted your Dark elves. Well done for getting it done and not using a joker.

@Doi
My snow boards were simplicity itself I mixed up a pot of white emulsion, PVA and some sand and painted the board with it. Whilst wet, I went all over it and stippled it to hide any brush strokes. Thois gave me a nice texture. When dry I washed it all with a watery blue. Though I say so myself it looks great but I am not sure how well this technique would work for bases on minis. It looks like a frozen lake. But i was after an effect for deep snop for some of the terrain pieces but they need to be robust for the club. I'll give it a bash and then give it a bash and see what happens. :D

Jonahmaul
12-08-2007, 09:06
Do you use snow from this place on your minis Harry? - http://www.deluxematerials.com/scenicrailway.html

Know someone posted it as I saved it in my favourites but can't remember who! Does it work well? I'm hoping to start painting my Tau soon & have been thinking of doing snow bases. Have a friend who's just started chaos & is doing snow bases but using GW snow (does sand with shadow grey ink, drybrushed space wolf then patches of GW snow). He says its ok but then I know other people have slated it.

75hastings69
12-08-2007, 10:01
Do you use snow from this place on your minis Harry? - http://www.deluxematerials.com/scenicrailway.html

Know someone posted it as I saved it in my favourites but can't remember who! Does it work well? I'm hoping to start painting my Tau soon & have been thinking of doing snow bases. Have a friend who's just started chaos & is doing snow bases but using GW snow (does sand with shadow grey ink, drybrushed space wolf then patches of GW snow). He says its ok but then I know other people have slated it.

That would be me. I used it on the base of my Space Wolf in my project log... this one.. (apologies everyone for posting pics of a SM in a Fantasy Thread)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/SpaceWolf.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/SpaceWolf3.jpg

Get the product "Thermo Plastic Micro Balloons" and use it in conjunction with Humbrol Gloss Cote. Generously apply Gloss Cote to the area that you want as snow and squirt micro balloons on, give it a few minutes then drip more gloss cote and add more micro balloons, cary on until happy with the coverage and result. You can add a touch of superglue on areas of the snow and it will react with the gloss cote and micro balloons and dry clear and shiny and it looks just like an area of ice on top of the snow. Don't substitute the Humbrol Gloss Cote with any other product as for some reason they don't work as well.

You cannot order from the website of deluxe materials but there is a freephone order line number, their service is first rate so give them a call.

Jonahmaul
12-08-2007, 11:11
The base looks really good (the whole model actually). Anybody got any examples of GW snow? How much does that stuff cost Hastings?

75hastings69
12-08-2007, 12:06
Very inexpensive, IIRC about £4 - £6 for more than you would need to do an entire army!!

sigur
12-08-2007, 12:32
Who of you tried the bicarbonate technique? Would you say it leads to better or worse results than snow effect stuff you buy?

75hastings69
12-08-2007, 12:35
I have tried it, it definately looks better than GWs snow product, mainly because GWs snow product is one of the worst I have personally come across. I find the microballoons much better, although you probably can't tell from my pics above it does look incredibly life like.

CMDante
12-08-2007, 14:48
@ Sigur - I used the bicarbonate soda method for the snow on the base of my sorcerror last month, its cheap and works pretty well though the microballoons are probably more reliable.

Recieved my order of P3 paints, brown stuff, some GW foundation paints and a pot of bestial and scorched brown as well as a new pin vice bit (totally misjudged the size, I thought the smallest bit from the GW set was a .5mm so ordered one as a replacement, turns out its hair thin!) so thats me stocked for the month, think I might even do a little review of the paints to go in the Warlords e-zine if thats ok with you Harry?

Hopefully some progress on the horrors soon!

Cheers,

Dante

Zark the Damned
12-08-2007, 16:01
Good work all round people! I'm liking what I see from everyone so far.

Got a fair bit of progress to report - am a fair way into my Leadbelchers (this month's unit) -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Brassbelly%20Ogres/pip-leadbelchers.jpg
Pretty much just the detailing and bases to go there.

I also did some work on my gaming tokens-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Brassbelly%20Ogres/game-markers.jpg
The skull icons are for wounds (skull and crossbones = 2 wounds, single skull = 1), the leadbelcher weapons are to show that a unit is loaded, and the little 'hills' are to stick my banners in for when my guys inevitably break and run away like little girls, leaving their banners behind!

I've rebased my Bulls and Ironguts, no pics of that but it's much the same as the gaming tokens. I need to add some standard flock, static grass and a few small stones to break em up a bit.

Her's the overall shot of assembled stuff so far -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Brassbelly%20Ogres/army-overview.jpg
Just off camera are the Gnoblar Fighters.

I have also been working on the second of my Maneaters-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/zarkthedamned/Miniatures/Brassbelly%20Ogres/wip-dwarf-maneater.jpg
This is a very early WIP, I still have to add his chainmail shirt and the rest of the detail.

I'm liking that snow effect on your Wolf Priest, Hastings. I may have to replicate something like that if I include Yhetees in the army.

sigur
12-08-2007, 16:02
Thanks for the info on the bicarbonate thing. I'll give it a shot in within the next few days.

For now, the bases on the Dark Riders are done and I started working on a comission as a side project. My motivation is high enough and I've got enough time in August. So the Dark Riders (approx. 120pts) are almost done now. The horsies still need a bit more work and the repeating crossbows need to be painted and attached. Not sure about the other unit I'll do this month, maybe Harpies or a character. Let's see.

@ZarktheDamned: Nice idea with those banner things; back when my gaming group was active, we used to forget about that on a regular basis.;)

Harry
12-08-2007, 16:06
Dante (and everyone else). Any and all contributions to Warlords will be greatfully recieved.

If you feel moved to write something about painting, modelling, collecting, converting, background or just about your involvement in this project, snippets or complete articles please knock yourselves out and send it to me or Rich123

Khrangar
12-08-2007, 17:49
Finally some WIP pics of my Daemon Prince.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/dp004-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/p003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/dp002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/dp001-1.jpg

Enjoy,

Khrangar

sigur
12-08-2007, 23:27
Wow, now that's a rad demon prince. Is he made of Inquisitor- (the head looks kinda familiar) and 40k bitz or a miniature by another company?

armos
13-08-2007, 00:00
Liking the job so far Khrangar... nice shading on the skin.. looking forward to seeing this guy finished.

MIGHTYPanhead
13-08-2007, 01:22
Wow, now that's a rad demon prince. Is he made of Inquisitor- (the head looks kinda familiar) and 40k bitz or a miniature by another company?

looks like the body of a wulfen model (reaper? dunno the company), the head from an inq. deamon host, and the wings of bel'lakor

those fist blades are totally awesome :)

Khrangar
13-08-2007, 01:46
The body is from a Devourer of Vil-Tis Master of Carnage from Confrontation, the head is from Cherubael, and the wings are from Belakor.

Speaking of my DP, here's more pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/d001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/d002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/d003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/d004.jpg

Khrangar

DirtJumper
13-08-2007, 01:57
I think I'll be jumping in on this and the 40k version as well! (if all's ok with you). Expect an update with some Chaos minis in it some time near the end of the month

Jonahmaul
13-08-2007, 09:23
Looking good Khrangar. Bicarbonate just seems like it might end up going mouldy or something?! Just doesn't seem the greatest idea to use food substances on bases to me. It does look good but I'm concerned with how long it'll stay like that?

When is warlords e-zine due out?

Has warseer been rubbish this weekend? Was taking ages to load. I'm on a different PC now so don't know if it was the servers or my PC?

CMDante
13-08-2007, 10:28
I've used the bicarbonate snow method for a few years and none of the bases I've done it on have gone bad, the only thing is you are best to varnish the areas your going to apply the mix over as sometimes paint from beneath bleeds through when the mix dries.

@ Harry - I'll try and get a little article knocked together then.

Cheers,

Dante

Sil
13-08-2007, 23:54
Well, first update for this month: a test spearelf for a initial group of 15:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z206/silelendae/spearelf-init.jpg

Still needs basing, of course. I've been particularly lazy about basing lately... Also, still considering whether I like the tan spear, or if it should be white. Likewise, undecided about what I'll do with the shield.

asmodai_dark86
14-08-2007, 00:23
Evening all :D

Lots of people pledging support to AD-AID although Sting hasnt rang me yet I do have Bono pawing at my window wanting to help. Damn Bono. Its also had me pondering a lot, and expect something cool coming this way very shortly - Look out for it in the first issue of WARLORDS!

Anywho, I've attatched my army list that I've cobbled together using only the models I have/are coming my way and look! I have an army! Just about though. I dont like having that many ogres, nor the cursed company as there a big points sink, but hey, I dont have to buy any new models - well apart from the flagellants but hey, I have to buy one unit and the new flaggellants look cool. Plus I'm being sent a priest and this sounds the coolest way to use em :D

Anyways, I'm off. Yendreks boys need more work and were nearly at the half way point, yikes!

RE-EDIT: Sorted :D

Lord w. Sword of might, light armour, shield - 116

Paymaster (think the big guy who carried a little guy on his back in mad max...) - 77

Captain on Horsey - 79

9 Knights 234

20 Pikemen - 250

10 duelists - 110

10 Crossbowmen - 110

9 Ogres - 426

20 Norse Marauders (flagellants) - 210

1 cannon - 86

Cursed Company - 305Grand total - 2002

sigur
14-08-2007, 00:53
@Sil: Looking really great, I especially like the skintone (incredibly smooth). Definately keep the tan spear, you've got enough white on this guy already. For the shield, I suggest some impressive freehand heraldy.:D

Harry
14-08-2007, 07:41
@sigur
You can never have too much white on an elf. :D

@sil
Joking aside.
Tan spear looks fine.
Love the gold on the helmet I would be very tempted to do the breastplate 'star' the same way
Your plate mail and your gem are excellent.

I have been busy making and painting scenery for this new club I have started. Having got the first session out of the way I was able to make a start on my armies this weekend. A bit late considering how much I have to do so feeling the pressure a bit. I have made a few changes to my plans and picked one or two smaller units to make things a bit easier.

Spearmen for the Highelves.
Hydra and handlers for the Dark Elves.
10 handgunners and a Thane for the Dwarfs.
Spirit host for the Undead
and just a spawn for the Khorne demons.

Oh, and 6 Terminators for the 40K side.

In two weeks! I could be in a spot of bother. :D

Jedi152
14-08-2007, 08:09
I'm going well with my knights, and i've got this thursday and friday off for a painting session - it's not often i'm in a position where i need to use holidays up!

Hopefully i can make a start on next month's peasants too. Since 'this week they've been mostly wearin' excrement', i think scorched brown should do the trick...

asmodai_dark86
14-08-2007, 11:07
Well I prayed to the fates and they did answer - Come Thursday I will be an official Subway Sanwich Monkey! Wooage indeed!

Only 4.50 an hour though, which bites as they take 10-15 for the uniform so I have to work 3 hours before its paid, however I should imagine its two shifts this week so thats 30 quid in the pot right off the bat :D

And my loan form came in - I should be fine come September :D

But I musnt spend it oh no... I must save it, for a day with rain.

EDIT: Maybe just one look around ebay for good luck...

sigur
14-08-2007, 13:44
@Harry: Indeed but remember that you also can't have enough different colours on a miniature too.:D:p

Looking forward to this Hydra of yours. I still haven't decided on a colour scheme for my big beasties.

armos
14-08-2007, 14:28
quick WIP of my Magister/Sorceror ... not sure if I like the blood splatter on his robes or not so feedback would be appreciated.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/magister1.jpg

Gonna be a bit slow going this month I fear, as well as this and work I also have to familiarise myself with the whole of CS3, update and re-present my portfolio, create character profiles (with drawings) for my comic (around 15 characters), finish a piece of character art for exhibition and flat-hunt... gonna do what I can to avoid a Joker though if only cos I wanted to use the one I drew and he isn't finished yet. ;)

Catferret
14-08-2007, 14:36
I like the blood splatter on the Magister Armos. It adds a little colour to a fairly subdued colour scheme. I like the subdued colours, that isn't a criticism!

armos
14-08-2007, 15:29
cheers, he is gonna stay fairly neutral throughout.. outer cloak dark brown, staff dull metal and the flappy scarf thingy probably black with white symbols

CMDante
14-08-2007, 16:51
@ Armos - The blood spatter looks good though I cant help but think it could do with being a wee bit darker towards the middle, looks more like a thin spray of watered down blood at the moment towards the bottom edges. Otherwise awesome work so far, loving the colourscheme!

I just had my first play about with my new P3 paints and I must say, they are incredible, I've never been so impressed by new paints in a long time but these really do keep a good pigment level and are very easy to work with even when watered down. The golds I bought from the range are also easily the best gold's I've ever used, they don't run all over the place with a shocking level of coverage like GW golds but they also aren't a sludge-like consistency like some manufacturers, they respond well to some light thinning and generally are great to use! The other colour I really liked of the handful I tried out was the "Bloodstone" colour, a nice warm brown that is good for leather highlights. I really do think I will be buying more of these, also its nice that they come in the old school round pots of the original citadel paint/coat d' arms era!

I also managed to do a little work on two horrors, one pink, the other blue and it reminded me how poor my blending skills are on fleshy surfaces, looks like it might be some trial and error on these guys!

Cheers,

Dante

Sil
15-08-2007, 01:38
Thanks for the comments.

I'm thinking I'll do up the second spearelf with a white spear to compare. I certainly do like to keep the colors varied, but a refined and limited palette is always good too!

If I really feel like killing myself, I'll probably end up painting a nice big elven rune on all the shields - probably the same one. Else I'll do up those plastic bits that come with the set, or just leave 'em white.

As to the gold, it was certainly very tempting to do a bit more, but I'm trying to keep the spearmen simple. I'm hoping to establish a subtle ranking with armour - archers have no gold (except maybe the champion), spearmen have a few hints of gold, silverhelms and elite units will feature a good measure, and I'll do as much as seems fitting without holding back on heroes/lords.

And Harry, I do feel like either I'm copying you, or you're copying me. First month we both have HE archers, now we both have spears! And I just started painting up some terminators for my marines too...

@Armos, sorcerer/magister is looking great!

Jonahmaul
15-08-2007, 08:44
@ Sil, good looking Elf, looking forward to seeing the unit finished.

@ Asmodi, no shame in working for Subway dude. Money is money & your working for yours. I worked in a pub all through uni to support myself & my first job was at McDonalds for £3 an hour (although it was almost 10 years ago). Glad to hear you got your loan sorted too.

@ Armos, looking awesome, can't wait to see it finished.

@ CMDante, those paints sound cool. An article on different paints available would definately be a good idea. Have you got any Vallejo paints? How many of the P3 paints you got? Just thinking maybe you could combine with someone else who's got other paints if necessary so we could have a comparrison of the 'main' companies. When is Warlords coming out someone?!?!

I will post some WIP when I get back to Cardiff and do a bit more. At the moment I've only done the first base coat on the skin (bit shout to Armos for telling me how he did the skin on his awesome giant). I've gotta hand in 3 pieces of uni work including my dissertation & sit an exam on Monday so things are a bit hectic at the moment but after that I should have plenty of time to play with toys!

CMDante
15-08-2007, 10:21
@ Jonahmaul - I have the protectorate paint set (bloodstone, heartfire, sanguine base, sanguine highlight and protectorate white base and highlight colours) as well as rhubric gold and another lighter gold (cant remember all the names exactly but I think theyre near enough). I don't have many vallejo, just a couple of the clear colours really so not much to compare with, I was thinking mainly of comparing them against GW's regular and foundation paints, could always expand the article in the future if I decide to get some vallejo though. I've heard that the P3 inks are particularly good but haven't tried any myself yet.

@ Sil - Those HE are looking great, I love the clean bright look though I wouldn't leave the shields white like you said you might, they wouldn't pop as much as they will if you put some sort of icon on them or a bit of freehand.

Cheers,

Dante

^Changer^
15-08-2007, 16:32
@armos: Loving the Sorceror, hope you find the time to complete it within the time-frame. I'm liking the muted look, but the blood was definately needed to make it pop.

@Sil: Definately think you should keep the spear as is. White just wouldn't look very good, even though it'd be quite High Elf-y. I really like the clean look you've got going at the moment.

@Khrangar: I like the shading of the white. The purple would look good with some pretty sharp highlights. What colours are you going for when it comes to the detailing? I'd probably do glowing green eyes, gold detailing and black claws.

As to my own work.

Well, we're half-way through this month, and I had to play a joker last month due to my change of army. As stupid as it might sound, though, I'm changing once again, though this time I really thought it through. I've already done quite a bit of painting on my new project, which is an army of the Empire! I'm doing the red and yellow of Talabecland, and my army will probably be based on a Freelance Knight (possibly a Knight Panther) who has borrowed a contigent of state troops. First (well..) months painting will be a Captain built using a converted Mordheim Ostlander and 9 Militia Crossbowmen. Expect some WIP pictures tonight!

@Harry: Please change my army choice in the list from Dwarfs to Talabecland Empire

Regards
E

Arhalien
15-08-2007, 16:34
Righty-ho, another 4 Glade Guard finished; some pics either this evening or tomorrow morning if I can find the dratted camera ;)

@Changer; your name seems highly appropriate :p ;)

Dino
15-08-2007, 16:46
@^Changer^: Arhalien is right. Youre name is approprite.

@armos: Nice work on the sorcerer.

I have pics of stuff.
The design for my Middenland swordsmen.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture132.jpg
Pics of the almost finished Middenheim spaermen and pistoliers.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture135.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture133.jpg
And a bit of news for people who want are waiting to see my custom Knights of the white wolf, I finished my Percepter for the unit. Here's a pic.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Dinoartist/Picture136.jpg

Arhalien
15-08-2007, 19:06
Looking very nice Dino; the shading on the white is lovely :)

Right, I've got pics (terrible, as usual) of the next 4 Glade Guard
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/DSC00028.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x29/Arhalien/Wood%20Elves/DSC00029.jpg
All but the one with the sword go in the back rank of the regiment.
Enjoy :)

asmodai_dark86
15-08-2007, 20:31
Mega update from me after a mad little scavenge!

First up, Menkamin's Lost Dogs (Cursed Company, using a Wargods of Aegyptus model as the leader)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0586.jpg

Next up, the model I'll be using as my paymaster... well kinda. I'm going to be building a little harness for a treasure chest and a platform for some kind of halfling to ride on the back. The second picture the other strong men who'll form part of his bodyguard although I havent settle on them yet...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0582.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0585.jpg

And lastly, some hired ronin from the east!
I got these from my regular comissioner as a christmas present last year and Ive been very bad and done bugger all to them - there suppose to look like this (http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/gallery/MedievalAsia/pages/image003.php)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0581.jpg

I know I'm surging ahead but with good reason - a lot of the time I spend model making is actually in the building for some reason, and with Uni coming up I could do with having everything ready to paint. Plus I still have crossbowmen, duelists, a cannon and my ogres to build yet. Plus I start work tomorrow which fills me with no end of dread., mainly because I know how much ill earn a month if I get the hours I want, when it'll come in, and whats just round the corner (Sounds a lot like space marine battle company... wait thats what it is, hurray!)

BTW Harry I'll email you the thing we've been discussing sometime tonight. If you dont get it feel free to yell at me

^Changer^
15-08-2007, 21:38
Here's those pics I promised, everything is WIP and the pictures are not to the highest standard thanks to the darkness which made me use a flash.

Captain front
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4426/captainoa5.jpg

Captain back
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7456/captain2ra7.jpg

Crossbowmen front
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5562/xboxs2sz3.jpg

Crossbowmen back
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4893/xboxs1yi0.jpg

Criticism highly appreciated! Seems I won't have to joker this month! : )

Regards
E

MarvyWill
15-08-2007, 21:52
Changer, nice models but strangest movement tray ever!

9 models in a 6 then 3? Could I ask why?

^Changer^
15-08-2007, 22:02
@MarvyWill: Well, they're a detachment to 25 Swordmen, and I really wanted to use all 9 that I had, and I just thought that I'd get 6 shots instead of 5 when they're deployed in the battle line, but I didn't want them to get unwieldy and take up too much space so didn't go further than that. I never played Empire so I have no idea if it's a good plan, could someone give me some advice? I just couldn't think of too many situations when 5x2 would be more useful, sure you could get one more rank until one guy hits the ground, but it's not like they'll accomplish much in combat anyway, and you'd get one less crossbow bolt every turn.

And I actually thought it looked pretty cool :angel: was fun to build!

MarvyWill
15-08-2007, 22:47
I can't fault the logic just not one I've seen before ;)

Asymmetry when assembling units is so much against the grain that it looks strange...but there's no reason against your idea. You can lose three models and still retain the fire frontage. I have seen 9 man detachments before but usually they are 3 x 3 halberdier units, designed as you say to have a small footprint.

Keep up the good work.

Khrangar
16-08-2007, 04:24
I was wondering what colour I should paint the belts and straps on my daemon prince. I was gonna go with black, but I think it would fade into the pants too much.

Let me know,

Khrangar

sigur
16-08-2007, 08:23
@Dino: Nice stuff, I especially like how you did the white horse. Those are one of the most annoying things I ever encountered. Are you gonna touch up the grey one a bit more? The highlights on it look quite rough at the moment.

@Arhalien: Looking very nice. Shame that the pictures aren't better.;)

@asmodai: As always, inspired and it's sure that your force will look very colourful and unique. Looking forward to those ronin.

@Changer: This Captain just looks rad. I like how you did the yellow. Interesting to see how great the "dirty" shading on the yellow works. Is this guy a citadel miniature? I also like the regiment base.;)

I finally decided what unit to do next - 10 Executioners:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Dark%20Elves/execswip1.jpg

^Changer^
16-08-2007, 10:33
@sigur: Thanks! He's an Ostlander from Mordheim with a head swap. The one to the left:

(Not my picture)
http://www.pictorsstudio.com/images/mordheim5-02/ostlanders1.jpg

Longing to see those spiky elfs, some of my favorite models.

Arhalien
16-08-2007, 10:40
@Changer; very nice work; what model is the captain out of interest?

@Sigur: Thanks :) I've finally managed to sort of get the set-up right to get the highlights on my red Eldar; going by the same measure I should have good pics of the Woodies by next January :D
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with those Executioners; some of the best Elves GW produces IMO.

Harry
16-08-2007, 11:17
Sigur, Dino, Changer and Arhalien (shock) looking good chaps. You are setting the pace this month. Great stuff it is really encouraging me to get on with mine. keep up the great work.

My Update:

High Elf spearmen. Built. But a long way to go with these.
Dark Elf Hydra. First colours painted and Handlers faces and hair done. (Not sure the hydra was the easy option I thought ... lots of scales).
Dwarf Thunderers. I had half painted 5 of these last months but I have started on the other 5 and have there first colours on.
Chaos Spawn. Flying along. Done the two coats of Blood Red, red/purple inking, repainted the black bits and done the lava base. (just like I did with the demons) Realy pleased with how this is turning out.
Spirit host. Painted, Based. Just waiting for static grass and a few extra details on the bases.

Not bad for 5 days. :D

sigur
16-08-2007, 11:59
Not bad for 5 days. :D

Truest of true. But honestly, I wouldn't be too shocked if you told us you'd have painted 1500pts of every single army and three scratchbuilt ones within the past five days.;) Your speed is amazing. Didn't you mention that you sleep less to get more done? Well, I tried that last night and now I'm too groggy to move and have a terrible headache.:p

Lavieth
16-08-2007, 12:49
wow, everyone's stuff is looking so good.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I might have to use a joker this month. My car broke down a week ago, and all my mini's are at my dads. That in conjunction with working 2 jobs to have enough money for school is killer on my free time. Although the plus side is my birthday is on Sunday, so hopefully I will get enough cash from there to fix it up and head on back down to my dads to finish.

Although I have been keeping busy by painting anything I have here at my moms, so if I can manage to get a lot of these maiden guard finished before it can get fixed perhaps I can use them as "counts as spears"

But keep up the good work guys everything is looking great!

I will post a pic of the front rank of my maiden guard later today hopefully

- Lavieth

Catferret
16-08-2007, 13:15
I'm about halfway through my 10 Gnoblar Trappers. Just gotta do all the clothing and details and they are done. Then 2 Leadbelchers for the rset of this month. I may finish 2 months targets on time!

I have also been doing a bit more conversion work on my Tyrant. It's a long slow process but I may need to enter him in Golden Demon if I can't get my actual project finished on time.

NetGuru
16-08-2007, 13:59
Bad pictures of my completed first two ranks of swordmen....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/DwarfBlog/p8160056.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/DwarfBlog/P8160054.jpg

And the last two ranks and my BSB...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/DwarfBlog/P8160058.jpg

(psst the swordmen in the above pictures were done in December, but the amount that im going to have to redo more-or-less means im starting from scratch so im not cheating honest!)

Im well on target for this month, even losing the majority of last week taking the other half to places, so crossed fingers for another 200 points!

aggraae
16-08-2007, 21:13
I'll start with saying wow we have alot of really good painters here and all keep the good work up. I havn't been able to write so much but i have now looked throu all the pics. Well her we hav a shot of my wip Beastmen Giant.

First the green stuff and plastic photo
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/aggraae/IMG_0396.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/aggraae/IMG_0394.jpg

Here when i have strated paint him, well its not so much left just club some more cloth , weapons and the elf :P
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/aggraae/Giant_2.jpg
Better pic will come when(if) he will be finished hehe.

And to all that thinks my beastmen color is blue i just say its purple ( the camera flaxh light makes it look blue :P)

Crube
16-08-2007, 21:20
Netguru - looking great there - how did you do the faces... I'm just about to get started on a Middenheim army, and am wondering about getting a decent consisten skin tone...

aggraae - Nicely painted, bu I have to admit to not being overly enamoured with the skin tone. Is the yellowyness just a product of the picture, or is it really yellow...?

Khrangar
16-08-2007, 21:21
More Daemon Prince pics, now with purple:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/p1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/p2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/p3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Khrangar/p4.jpg

Khrangar

asmodai_dark86
17-08-2007, 04:50
Here we go...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0588.jpg

My homage to Master Blaster :D Hes got a fair bit of height on him.

The Old Man on the top will the actual paymaster - I thought a wiethered old crone would make a great paymaster as anyone else might get tempted to stab the general in the back seeing as though in the fluff its his background.

Then again, his mighty bodyguard might actually be there to protect the gold rather then anything else. He's also the armies version of Judge Dread - that big mace isnt just for show, mwahahaa

The rest of his body guard are a mix of every random model I could find, from samurai to wood elves and they look fairly cool especially with the big fella in the middle.

Anyways, im off to bed again, night all

Oh and the first day at work was an anticlimax. I have to go in wednesday and then friday next week and have been rotaed on for 31 hours from friday. Woo!

aggraae
17-08-2007, 09:33
@Crube: It's my camera that makes it look yellow, the skin is painted in followed order, Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather and highlight with Snakebite Leather mix Bleched Bone.

@asmodai_dark86: Cool paymaster :p

@Khrangar: Really nice tone on the purple color.

NetGuru
17-08-2007, 09:34
Netguru - looking great there - how did you do the faces... I'm just about to get started on a Middenheim army, and am wondering about getting a decent consisten skin tone...

I used a basecoat of Dark Flesh, and from that i highlighted it with Tanned Flesh, Tanned Flesh and Dwarf Flesh, Dwarf Flesh and finally Dwarf Flesh with Bleched Bone for the very last highlight, hope it helps.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
17-08-2007, 09:48
Nice looking stuff guys. I finished my Goblin general and BSB, I was planning on doing a bsb and my shaman but ah well I ended up with this

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/476WGG/BrugzabsbGrishnuk.jpg

Now I just need to get up the pic's from my stuff I painted last month:evilgrin:

Greetz
G

Crube
17-08-2007, 10:06
Beautiful rich purple there Khrangar....

And netguru - Ta :D Similar to how I do it anyway, so shouldn't be too hard... just the 150+ models to do it on that's the swine :D

Arhalien
17-08-2007, 10:20
Great banner Mad Doc :)

And Kharangar; that Daemon Prince is looking incredible :D

Huw_Dawson
17-08-2007, 12:36
MDG, I'm beating the library's computer timer to say:

AWSOME FREEHAND ON THAT BANNER! :p

- hUW

sigur
17-08-2007, 13:07
@Netguru: Very nice, realistic yellow.

@Khrangar: Cool purple! (I always wanted to say that once :p)
Are you going to make the highlights smoother?

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: A bit rough for my likings, but great freehand. It's so good to see a Gobbo banner that shows something else but some simple Orc glyph. The poses of the Gobbos also fit the rocks they are standing on very well.

I'm currently working on the purple parts of the Executioners. Apart from that, I managed to break two already sanded and drybrushed bases :rolleyes:

Jedi152
17-08-2007, 13:51
Have i mentioned lately how much i hate Bretonnian knights?

Joseph Vintila
17-08-2007, 14:42
@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: awesome standard

@Asmodai: love the paymaster. what miniatures are the guys in the bodyguard with the chaos warrior?

Crube
17-08-2007, 14:52
Jedi....

I thought you learnt form teh Tale of 8 Gamers you cant paint quickly enough ;)

Now you're trying Bretonnian Knights

Good grief man, are you insane :D

Jedi152
17-08-2007, 15:04
I'm slowly going that way ... and i haven't even started transfers yet...

Wibble.

Crube
17-08-2007, 15:06
Hey, at least you're not trying to freehand them all....

Are you using DecalFix type stuff, or are you just going for it. Painting over them afterwards?

asmodai_dark86
17-08-2007, 18:39
Hey Joesph, those are warmachine miniatures from the Khador fraction. Im also adding in some black orc samurai (which are a little too big for normal units but I can get away with it here), and other big sword wielding models. The big big fella is the older thrud the barbarian, again from heresy, with a chaos warrior head.

Done a bit more work on the paymaster - he now has chains rather then straps, and a pistol strapped to the howda. Im also adding a liquor canteen to the inside of the howda (hey, hes an old crone, and he likes his drink). Im tempted to give him a sword but it doesnt seem right, and give the big guy a set of machetes. Updates tonight once hes done.

Ill also rig my army list again at some point as I've built a few more Ronin and archers then I had intended.

Which reminds me, I need to paint things - Ill do the paymaster to make up for last months short fall I think as Im quite enjoying building the bugger.

Khrangar
17-08-2007, 20:59
@sigur: Yes, I plan to go back and add a final highlight and smooth the ones that are there.

Khrangar

MarvyWill
18-08-2007, 00:56
I was going to post some Squig updates but instead I got sidetracked

But this is the season of um, rain so I thought why not share what I have been doing. So I bring you...

...Movement trays

The brief for me was to create some cheap, characterful movement trays for my Night Goblins (and other models) that were also magnetised. I've included the costings so that you can see if I can show that home made is best...

Ok. The market leader in these things is Gale Force 9. In the UK these cost £6 for a tray and £6 pounds for magnetised bases and inserts. £12 a unit is a little steep for me, plus I don't like the movement trays, I like sloped edges.

So I purchased these things:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/marvywill/MovementTray001.jpg

Foamboard: 80p
Card: 50p
Green Stuff £2
Sand £3
Craft Knife £2.50
Straight Aviation Tin Snip (to cut metal) £1.89
PVA £1
Magnets £5 for 100
Sweetie Tin £Free! (scavenged)

Total: £16.69 for enough bits to do an army.

The magnets are tiny and strong. I played around with them to see if one was enough for a model and it is. Metal ones probably need two. I stuck them on with green stuff as they were shallower than the base and needed some depth. I might use a scrap of plasticard in future as it is less likely to give.

So, I cut the card to size, leaving room for less than perfect ranking up and the edging. The edging I made out of strips of foamboard, stuck on then cut at 45 degrees to make an irregular slope. I then cut out a square of tin sheet using the snips and stuck them together. Finally I sanded the edges.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/marvywill/MovementTray003.jpg

So there you have it. A little bit of material hunting, an hours work for a whole army and trays that keep models safe on the field and safe off it (no sliding around in figure cases for these bad boys).

Oh, and you can do this with them too...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/marvywill/MovementTray005.jpg

Hope you like them, next time there will be squigs I promise

Jedi152
18-08-2007, 18:44
Hey, at least you're not trying to freehand them all....

Are you using DecalFix type stuff, or are you just going for it. Painting over them afterwards?
I tried freehand on one old shield and it didn't look too bad ... 'til i realised it needs to be done 5 times per knight!

I'm going to try painting over the transfers, or giving them a coat of gloss varnish before i spray varnish them...

75hastings69
20-08-2007, 06:41
Here are latest shots of my WIP Stone Trolls for my Night Goblins....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/CIMG0344.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/CIMG0343.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/CIMG0342.jpg

Group Shot

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x15/75hastings69/CIMG0346.jpg

Warlord Wyquix
20-08-2007, 09:07
Those stone trolls are amazing Hastings! You would be able to share your secret for painting them would you? I've got a few that need painting for my NG army.

Cheers
W.W.

Harry
20-08-2007, 10:49
Yup, that's some top notch blending on those tummies.
They look great.

If I had to picky the chains etc look a bit shiney for a grubby troll.

Also .... I know they are fitting in with existing bases but the goblin green bases don't do it for me (they look a bit 'old skool').

But that says something about your painting if all you can pick you up on is the colour of the edges on the base. :D

Arhalien
20-08-2007, 10:57
Beautiful trolls Hastings :D let down a bit by the cartoony mushrooms and green base edges though IMO.

Glade Guard progress report (GGPR :D), 12 down, 4 to go.

Horus0001
20-08-2007, 14:53
right ive been slacking bigtime lately.
Doubled with the fact that its taking me about 10min to access warseer.
Sorcerer is almost done and still got 2 of the hounds to do.
Ill pick a big unit next month to make up for this lazyness :p

Crube
20-08-2007, 15:08
Great Trolls, and am I the lone voice that likes the bases and mushrooms?

75hastings69
20-08-2007, 16:32
Those stone trolls are amazing Hastings! You would be able to share your secret for painting them would you? I've got a few that need painting for my NG army.

Cheers
W.W.

Thank you very much. They were undercoated white, base cote of thinned down Midnight Blue, then built up by adding Bleached Bone to the Midnight Blue, finally adding Skull White to the mix for the final highlights. The whole skin of the troll was done with the same technique just taken to different levels of highlighting.

@ Crube, glad you like the mushrooms and base edges, it had to be like that to tie them in to the rest of my army.

@ Harry, the metal, stone, and the leather/fur are the last bits I need to finish (oh, and a slight wash applied to the yellow eyes). But other than that I am pretty happy with how they turned out. Hopefully I'll get my Ostland Handgunner detachment finished in the next day or so. Oh, and by the way thanks for starting the TOFP up, I may actually be able to field a fully painted army (or 4!!!) at long last after over 20 years in the hobby!!!! Cheers mate, you are the best!

Danny76
20-08-2007, 17:44
Great Trolls, and am I the lone voice that likes the bases and mushrooms?

i like the shrooms.
the bases i feel indifferent to, not my base colour choice but i look at a model when judging it over looking at a base.

Due to my late entry with an Empire army (thanks Harry ;)) i have played a joker for month one.

This months painting has so far been an Empire wizard and my Crossbow men detatchment for the 190point mark this month.

TheDarkArg
21-08-2007, 00:49
Count me in as another fan of the NG mushrooms, though I do think the rest of the base would look better in a drab color that didn't stand out from the model. Regardless, the trolls look fantastic.

Anyways, on to a small update on my armies. I unfortunately gave in to a rash of shiney-new-model syndrome and pre-ordered a chaos army for the upcoming chaos codex. That lead to a bit of a panic about massive piles of unpainted things and so I've been trying to clean out my to paint box for that army this month. I then realized that it was well over half way through August and I hadn't painted anything for my dwarves or VC....

Good News: In a rash of assembly line painting I managed to get skin on and highlighted for my remaining dwarven warriors (18) and do all the bone bits on a small unit of Grave Guard.

Bad News: They all have shields. And I can't find where I put the dwarf ones.

Hopefully I'll get some WIP pics up in my log shortly.

sigur
21-08-2007, 14:16
Adding mushrooms to the base improves every WHFB miniature, I think. The gobbo green edges just add to the great old-school felling that comes with the stone trolls which are amazing miniatures only topped by your paintjob.;)

This weekend, I didn't have much time for painting so I only did a bit on the Execs and the Lord of Nurgle. I also feel the urge to get some 40k stuff done again...

Catferret
21-08-2007, 14:55
:eek: Just realised it isn't long til end of month and I have finished 3 Gnoblar Trappers, basecoated another 7 and only undercoated the 2 Leadbelchers.

I better get painting if I don't want to Joker.

Jedi152
21-08-2007, 15:09
I have a target of a horse a night. Painted from primed, transfers added, the lot.

And i'm at the gym for an hour tonight...

Arhalien
21-08-2007, 15:42
Regretting joining yet Jedi? :p
Best of luck getting everything done :)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
21-08-2007, 15:44
Lovely looking trolls hastings, keep up the awesome work:)

I changed my list completly, I will try to get my 2000pts and 2250pts goblin army done, well some units will be the same but then I have a lot of room to switch troops and such and I have more freedom to add wacky things.

Greetz
G

Jedi152
21-08-2007, 15:45
Regretting joining yet Jedi? :p
Best of luck getting everything done :)
Regretting picking Bretonnians ... :cries:

Why didn't i pick Tomb Kings?

Thanks for the luck, i'll need it!

^Changer^
21-08-2007, 18:02
Why didn't i pick Tomb Kings?

'Cause those knights will look awesome when they're done!

You'll be happy you went through all the blood, sweat and tears when you have them all lined up in shining colors, each with his own personal touch, a year from now!

Now I'm off to assemble some Knights Panther :)

asmodai_dark86
22-08-2007, 05:14
Well as you can see, I've been working away at my pikemen unit...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0594.jpg

Gah it was nearly a pikemen unit! I swear! Meh they'll be done by the end of the month, besides this was much more fun.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0592.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/asmodai_dark86/IMG_0593.jpg

Another few days of work and this fella will be done. It was painted largely with foundation colors (most of them combined with Dheneb Stone), except the shield which was Jade Green, the shield with the gold skull which was a purple I cant remember and the sword scabbard which was eventually combined with ice blue. The howda was painted with bestial brown again, combined with dheneb stone.

I've also painted the teeth and tongue of the paymaster himself although you cant really see it. The gold is done with Vajello gold and some brown ink which will then be highlighted and cleaned up. Oh and finally the skin was done by a light wash of tallarn flesh, brown ink, and then watered down tallarn fresh built up in the necessary areas to look like highlights although again, I might add some more highlights later and I still have to do the hands.

Im particularly pleased with the barrel although I'd like to do another highlight on it just to brighten it up in line with the shields. Comments and advice is welcome and would be appreciated as Im a little unsure about it at the moment (meh, maybe im just tired)

Harry
22-08-2007, 06:26
I have only one comment. I love this mini. Great idea. Nicely done.

I have just re read the last 6-8 pages of this log. There is so much good stuff going on I don't know where to start but I will say well done to everybody and keep it up. A little over a week to go so ... crack on!

I will have to do the same as I have along way to go with some of my stuff. Heres some photos I took last week. Everythings a bit futher along now but I have only just had time to upload the pics to photobucket.

Undead : Spirit host just bases to do.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_1395-1.jpg

High Elves : Built but not started. (Heeeeelllllp!)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_1404.jpg

Dwarfs half done last week half 5 more just started.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_1406.jpg

Deamonic legion. Spawn/Scyla

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_1394.jpg

Harry
22-08-2007, 06:28
Dark Elves. Hydra and handlers.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_1391.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/HarryHowells/IMG_0852.jpg

So I am not painting quite as much stuff as last time and I am a bit behind with it. But I am still here and I am sure with one last big push I will get it done.

I posted my stuff up to encourage everyone. If I can finish this lot you can finish 200 points. There are a number of people we have not seen or heard from this month. I hope everyone who was there last month is busy painting away and people are not losing the interest and enthusiasm for the project. Remember the prize. A fully painted 2000 point army by next summer. It seems a long way off but even by christmas you will hav e 1000 points painted and can start palying decent gamess with them. Keep going everyone.

For those of you who have been posting updates regularly. My thanks. It provides encouragement and motivation for me (and I am sure everyone else) to see your enthusiasm and the results you are achieving.

Thank you all and keep up the good work.

Crube
22-08-2007, 10:47
I find everyone who has been posting their progres a real inspriation. As soon as I get my new painting area set up I 'm itching to get started again. Thanks everyone.

And Jedi, you may think TKs would be easier, but you'd spend more time putting the blasted things together....;)

asmodai_dark86
22-08-2007, 11:48
Cheers Harry - he is a joy to paint which is a refreshing change recently, although Ive noticed that the foundation paints tend to smell slightly like house paint (might just be me being mental). Having see the black orc single axe though im pondering whether it'll fit where the clb did but meh. We'll see.

Did you get my email by the way I've had no reply from you.

I'd like to add another one of these, but I cant think what to have him as in the army. Im semi pondering adding a second one to be the executioner as a unit filler in the bodyguard but meh.. doesnt seem right. Theres also the idea of having a halfling and one of those fellas except this time with a big sword but again meh i dunno.