PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.....

Kohhna
10-04-2005, 23:33
Ok, after a hiatus of about 3-4 years having not played 40K since 2001, I, inspired by the return of this forum, have just ordered about 55 worth of stuff over the net from Wargamesstores.co.uk

Now I just need to re-learn how to paint like I used to and find some opponents.

Strikerkc
11-04-2005, 00:01
Ok, after a hiatus of about 3-4 years having not played 40K since 2001, I, inspired by the return of this forum, have just ordered about 55 worth of stuff over the net from Wargamesstores.co.uk

Now I just need to re-learn how to paint like I used to and find some opponents.

Well, where are you at, and what stuff did you get? :)

Kohhna
11-04-2005, 08:58
I'm in Belfast. But I'll be moving to London or possibly Coventry in the autumn.

I ordered a Deamon Prince, chaos Landraider and unit of marines. I'm going to get some Bitz soon as well to make the squads up the way i want them.

Gaebriel
11-04-2005, 10:12
Enjoy the game and hobby again (they always come back... ;) ).

And don't worry about painting, I got back after 10 years and the skills are still there - though the techniques have evolved amazingly...

And judging from the times I met them on the grass-mat, Chaos Marines are good(!) Do you have a specific legion in mind?

sigur
11-04-2005, 12:17
Welcome back. You'll never be able to get out of GW's cold grasp. ;)

Chaos Space Marines have LOOOOOOOOOOTS of potential to min-max/cheese/cheat/beat my armies AGAIN... :mad:
Just kidding.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have fun with them. Seems like you left the hobby in it's darkest time; don't be afraid brother, the ruleset was improved a bit since then.

Did you play CSM back in 2001? I remember their codex being even worse than the other very.....mediocre codices back then, but they got a new one in 2002 or 2003 and chaos cultists call it a masterpiece.

Don't worry about the painting part. It's just a question of the willingness to paint; the skill will return from itself. If you like converting you'll find lots of possibilities to go crazy.

have fun and good luck finding nice people to play with!

grizzly ruin
11-04-2005, 12:56
I ordered a Deamon Prince, chaos Landraider and unit of marines. I'm going to get some Bitz soon as well to make the squads up the way i want them.

My only advice to you would be to consider if you really need that land raider, and to get yourself more troops.

but they got a new one in 2002 or 2003 and chaos cultists call it a masterpiece.

It's a masterpiece alright, a masterpiece of chaos
:( ;)

Seriously though, ,you're going to need to read that codex over and over again. It can be a bit of a train wreck when you first start trying to sort it out. Not to mention 3 different printings with some rules differences between them.

sigur
11-04-2005, 13:05
It's a masterpiece alright, a masterpiece of chaos
:( ;)

Hehe, okay, I forgot about that. But I gotta agree. ;)

Apart from that, the equipment options are overwelming. Once we had a complete newbie in our gaming circle. He decided to play Chaos and was totally overcharged by the options. With all these chaos gifts it's a playground for people who like "variable stats" and leaders like "Magic the Gathering"-decks.

Kohhna
11-04-2005, 19:55
My only advice to you would be to consider if you really need that land raider, and to get yourself more troops.

Fair enough but I really like the model and I have plenty of troops and deamons and **** to be getting on with for the time being.

Seriously though, ,you're going to need to read that codex over and over again. It can be a bit of a train wreck when you first start trying to sort it out. Not to mention 3 different printings with some rules differences between them.

The new codex was one of the last things I bought. I'd imagine it is one of the first print runs. Is there anywhere you can get the changes so I'm up to date.

I see what you mean about it though. The first 3rd ed. codex at least had what all the marks do in the same place. I had a world eaters army the last time round. This was before the new codex when they were basically chaos marines with more attacks, fearless and LD 10. Now they are all frenzied and take off across the battlefield on their own. I have also noticed a potential for an unfortunate tendency to leap out of any transports they are in at the beginning of the round.

Wolflord Bloodangel
12-04-2005, 03:02
Haha, you gotta be wary of wily opponents using empty rhinos to bait your army away from their lines :D

A Chaos Land Raider with some Khornate Terminators can be a real threat. I definately recommend using a Raider, theyre just a heap of fun.

Kohhna
19-04-2005, 22:58
Update for any-one who is interested

The new stuff all came through the mail yesterday and I've been off work today so I've been able to assemble all my chaos Marine Plastics. I've converted the Heavy Bolter into an auto cannon and used a few bitz from my unused Berzerker sprue parts to make a missle launcher armed guy. I think I'll get two more special weapons in town tommorrow so I can have a Havocks squad of 2ML and 2AC. I also wanted another Plasma gunner so I converted the plasma pistol from the accessories sprue into a plasma gun by adding a bit from a bolt pistol to the middle. Not altogether happy with that one but as long as nobody looks at it too close It'll do fine. Still ita always good fun putting together those multi part plastics sets, I love th smell of poly cement in the morning, reminds me of Bananas.

I'm going down to the GW shop anyway to see if I can gfet anyone to help me convert my deamon Prince to have wings (and try to get a game out of somebody later on).

Edit, Excuse my typing, I'm using my computer table as a painting table and I'm having to type withthe keyboard on my knees sort of hunched over.

Fuher edit: 1/4 past 3 in the morning and finished painting. Looking good, The coulor scheme (Bronze on black with lots of subdued metallics, and bleached boney bits) is looking good, they fit in along side other figures I've donr for the army. Maybe now I can get some sleep.

The Dragon Reborn
20-04-2005, 02:57
Is anyone else a streaky painter? i will not paint for months then one day i will get like 7 hours in then just stop for a few weeks then bust out the paints. weird how that happends, so any way congrats on coming back to warhammer.

have you decided what legion to play?

Kohhna
20-04-2005, 08:41
Is anyone else a streaky painter? i will not paint for months then one day i will get like 7 hours in then just stop for a few weeks then bust out the paints. weird how that happends, so any way congrats on coming back to warhammer.

have you decided what legion to play?

Yes, Black legion so i can use my WE stuff, and anything else I fancy. Also, I like the fluff.