PDA

View Full Version : jack-of-all-armies, but not good at anything...

sigur
11-04-2005, 12:44
Have you encountered the problem of having multiple armies (nobody can live with only one army), but never becoming really good with any of those?

Is that just another thing about this legendary "willpower" some people keep talking about?

I could imagine that it also depends on the gaming enviroment. If people play more or have the possibility to play more often, they spend their time with that instead of doing the whole hobby "passively" (painting, reading, portent, etc.) so they automatically don't concentrate on their army that much, learn much about other armies and don't see them as "enemies" that much, but more as ...."stuff I wanna have".

How do you handle this?

psyco1234
11-04-2005, 22:16
my younger brother has this problem...what he does is uses his models as "count as" models from different armys and trys to find the "one" that he likes....hes not into painting so much...so my suggestin is to buy like 1 model from each army your considering, and see what you like.

Kohhna
11-04-2005, 22:23
my younger brother has this problem...what he does is uses his models as "count as" models from different armys and trys to find the "one" that he likes....hes not into painting so much...so my suggestin is to buy like 1 model from each army your considering, and see what you like.

Well, if you had an army of a rouge or rebellious space marine chapter you could use any SM list (including and CSM list) you liked and it would all be "Counts as" and perfectally cool rules and models wise.

Check out the arcticle from 2 WDs ago which lends this idea a degree of credability.

sigur
11-04-2005, 22:34
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the first post. This is not another "I wanna start a new army, tell me which one I should take"-thread.

It's more about having multiple armies (3-4 in my case) and not being able to play them all and "twisting" the armies from game to game and therefore not being able to really "master" one army.

Kommissar Wulf
11-04-2005, 22:53
I think I know what you're saying. You swap your various armies for other ones? So one game you'd use Chaos and the next Eldar? Something like that?

I own quite a few armies, 5 and a half different forces, with another one just started. Fortunatly I don't seem to have the problem of changing army every game. Once I get into the mood for a particular army, I tend to stick with it for quite a while. Once I start to think I'm doing too well with it, or I stop enjoying playing with it, or just plain feel like a change, that's when I move onto a new army, or return to an old one.

I think that's what you mean...

angelspast
11-04-2005, 23:03
I guess it's just the sorta player... Some people play 3-4 armies and have their tactics down from front to back. Others can't remember a damn thing about any of their armys.

I myself prefer to play 1 main army (silver skulls). When I feel like using something different I use allies, Inquisitors, Assassins, GK, etc, but the core army is always marines. Keeps life simple, and I don't have the drive to paint another full army to the same standard anyways.

grizzly ruin
12-04-2005, 00:40
It's more about having multiple armies (3-4 in my case) and not being able to play them all and "twisting" the armies from game to game and therefore not being able to really "master" one army.

I suppose the real question is, are you having fun?

If so, it shouldn't really be a problem.

That really doesn't answer your question, but for me I always go by the "fun meter".

If I'm enjoying myself, I could really careless about winning, or what army I'm playing, or some rules gripe.

I'm surprised that you don't feel playing several armies has helped you become a better player. You should have a better grasp of what your opponents can do afterall.

Antyrael
18-04-2005, 03:13
What gets me the most is when somebody plays an army for a couple of weeks/months and then decides they don't like them and pick up an entirely new army time after time. I mean, we all think about starting different armies, what our armies would look like if we were to play that race, but that's just insane.

so they automatically don't concentrate on their army that much, learn much about other armies and don't see them as "enemies" that much, but more as ...."stuff I wanna have".

I think I'm the only player I know who has chosen a loyalty. I'm with the Eldar. That's how it's always been and unless GW screws my race over with the new codex, that's how it'll stay. I dunno how to explain it except that I "support" their cause :rolleyes: Of course I know what I'd do with the other races. I'd play Alpha legion if I were to play chaos, 13th company for a marine army etc. but I'd rather start a dark eldar army than start playing with an "enemy" army. Just my 2 cents

Antyrael

Wolflord Bloodangel
18-04-2005, 03:55
I collect a lot of armies, but I pretty much just play with my Wolves.

This isnt because I want to master them, its just Im a lazy painter and theyre the only army that actually has finished models. Still, Ive got a large enough collection to completely re-tool the army continually.

angelspast
18-04-2005, 04:12
I think I'm the only player I know who has chosen a loyalty

Nah many players side with a particular race/group. I'm a die hard marine fan myself.

Laspistol
19-04-2005, 00:46
I've got three armies, and I like to think I am somewhat proficient with the use of each.

But, I'de have to say I am a loyal Imperial Guardsman above all else. I'm at my best when I field my IG, confident in my abilities to thwart any enemy that foolishly belives they can contest my table.

I understand well, however, that other players could find themsleves falling behind with other armies, not playing them enough, loosing their skills to time. I am one such.

I hardly play my Orks for want of time and money. I want to reform them but can't afford more models so they get painted but not used.

I recently lost my Bloodletters while moving home from a job placement. The linch-pin of my Chaos army is gone until I can get them back, so it rarely gets to the table now althoug it get the majority of fixing.

Add to that the rarity of gaming in my area lately and it all adds to my sad lack of non-IG skills, so don't feel bad. Just try teally hard to have more than one game per evening.

grave digger
19-04-2005, 01:43
I have many armies and bounce from one to the other. My problem is that I do not get to play often so I study armies. I find out how mine works best and how to use them effectively. I also spend a lot of time lurking on Tactic threads.

I would say that I have more wins than losses by the way. I'm really a collector. Or, as my wife would say, I've got a problem.

Oh, when I say I have many armies I mean I have many. Currently painted:
Dark Angles (2K+ pts)
Deathwing (2K+ pts)
Tau (2K pts)
IG (2K pts)
Harleqins (1.5K pts)
Deathguard (2K pts)
World Eaters (1.5K pts)
Orks (2K+ pts)
Speed Freaks (2K+ pts)
Squats (1.5K pts)

Unpainted: 1.5K pts Grey Knights