PDA

View Full Version : NEw to 40k, building my army. Advice from vets requested. (IG)

Swissdictator
17-08-2007, 05:18
Well, I've only played one demo game of 40k, and the ruleset seemed enjoyable. Plus I am a huge fantasy player (9+ Armies all at least 2250-3000).

I looked at the various armies, decided SM and Chaos were to common plus I guess my dislike of Chaos carried over from fantasy.

It came down to Imperial Guard or Necrons. I decided Guard, especially when I saw the Vostroyans!

I have a ton of Vostroyan troops, and I do mean a ton. I also picked up a sentinel and a Leman Russ.

Now how should I generally equip my troops? I want to be fairly flexible. I am thinking of getting another sentinel or two.

I'm kinda wanting to be able to be offensive, and not solely defensive. Comparisons to Russians aside, a human wave tactic wouldn't seem to necessarily work. I know lots of infantry fit the Guard, and I like that. I don't want to be the Tread Head or anything. I want to field a realistic and believable list, that'll also have teeth.

Before any disparaging remarks are made about IG, I chose them because I like them and will enjoy painting them. Plus I guess my tyrant in me can be pleased perhaps.

Painting wise I am painting the vehicles based on the T-34. I love that tank, and I often play the Russians in WWII games (which is ironic in some ways, if you knew me). So lots of Dark greens for the vehicles, while I will probably go a Crimson Red for the Infantry.

I just want to know how to make a good list, that can take the fight to the enemy as well as defend a posistion.

UncleCrazy
17-08-2007, 05:35
IG are pretty good. If you are playing Troop heavy make sure to have enough plamsa guns to take out armor 2 units. I like to use lot of Vet squads. As for tanks Never take just one. Take at lest two. 3 Russes will people nightmares. Same holds ture for all tanks. If you field one tank you are wasting your points and time cuz it will die first turn.

By the way Lascannons cost a ton for IG. That is why I said use plamsa on high armor units. Then again I use Jungle Fighter Doc too so i can not take them.

Glocknal
17-08-2007, 06:21
I am in the same boat in starting a new IG army, however I am an old veteran from 2nd edition 40k. Much has changed since then but I would recommend a few tips.

1) Troops! Make sure you have plenty of troops. Don't get bogged down in wargear that could be used to buy effective infantry. IG strength is cheap, fire absorbing infantry that isnt usually worth the cost to shoot, but can do major damage if left to their own devices.

2) Leadership! Make sure you str covered by officer units, commissars, vox-caster and the like. Your numbers advantage will be quickly negated once those morale tests begin to fail.

3) Tanks! As said before make sure you take multiple armor threats. having just one will allow your enemy a chance to focus on your lone tanks. Dont let that happen.

4) Plasma and Heavy weapons! Make sure you have a delivery system to get these kinds of weapons onto a hard target in a aggressive nature. Meaning that you just dont wait from them to roll into your range. Have mobilty or enough range to bring these weapons to bear.

Anyways good luck and Go Guard!

Swissdictator
17-08-2007, 06:25
Also do Vostroyans have their own rules? Where can I find them, what doctrines do they use?

Bunnahabhain
17-08-2007, 11:11
Their doctrines were in a WD when they were released, and should be on the website somewhere.

Heavy weapon platoons, special weapons squads, carapace armour, hardened fighters, and either closer order or iron discipline seems familiar.

Of course, you don't have to go with those. Grenadiers, Carapace, Iron D and closer order would represent a well disciplined, equipped and trained force just as well, and be a more competitive starting point.

dcikgyurt
17-08-2007, 11:19
Simply put, take rocket launchers for anti tank, heavy bolters for anti infantry, and take plasma for your special weapon, as it has the best range/effectiveness and at a pinch can be used to back up your anti-tank weapon. This selection gives you plenty of versatility and a heavy/special weapon for every occasion. Grenade launchers and autocannons, whilst they have their uses, are neither on thing nor the other and might as well be substituted for something else. I won't bother repeating the Lascannon arguement. Simply put, don't.

pookie
17-08-2007, 11:29
try the tactics forum, theres something in there that all IG players ( new and old) can benefit from ( not constructive, but all the info you should needs in there already )

Brother Loki
17-08-2007, 11:31
Vostroyan Doctrines:
( for some reason the link won't work so just copy the address into your browser with the prefix http:// )

uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/vostroyans/1/

sigur
17-08-2007, 11:50
try the tactics forum, theres something in there that all IG players ( new and old) can benefit from ( not constructive, but all the info you should needs in there already )

QFT.

@Swissdictator: Welcome to Warseer, welcome to 40k and the best army in 40k. I strongly recommend having a look at the Tactica Imperium thread. 40k General is the place for general spam and not for tactics, outfitting characters and such.;)

Ktotwf
17-08-2007, 12:40
The best strategy maxim for the Imperial Guard, as far as I am concerned, is "Build you army as though the Lasgun will not kill a single enemy".

Otherwise, welcome to the most beloved army in the game.