PDA

View Full Version : Why play Blood Angels?

LonelyPenguin
17-08-2007, 17:31
hey hey, my brother recently took an interest in space marines and decided to try blood angels, he lost twice to me playing the new chaos codex, I won by just about 500 points in a 1500 battle

from what I noticed, blood angels seem overpriced and don't get enough for what they cost, we had about the same number of models and all of mine were cult marines and blood angels just seem strange to me...

What are their advantages over playing normal space marines? thanks :)

silveryfox
17-08-2007, 17:35
Death Company!

Lots of Assault Marines, Baal Predator and well, lots of things...

Ktotwf
17-08-2007, 17:35
Well, one of their advantages is being pretty damn cool. Which is ALWAYS the main consideration when choosing an army.

If I was going to play SM (and as a staunch Guard soldier, I cringe at the thought) it would either be Blood Angels or the even cooler Black Templars.

Captain Micha
17-08-2007, 17:41
Blood Angels have a new dex released in white dwarf articles... do not look at that old one at all. As they are quite improved and rebalanced.

Sparda
17-08-2007, 17:49
Well, for one, their cool. For two- you dont need to buy a codex, so you have $20 more to but models. Another plus is that the Death Company Is a free unit with rending!(thats why the squads cost a little more, But remember that the squads come with a free veteran Seargrant) You can take Assault squads as troops and elites, so thats pretty cool. Infact, I intend to swich to blood angels this Christmas because of the changes:D

mostholycerebus
17-08-2007, 17:55
Death Company, Baal Pred, Land Speeders with good weapon configs, Mephiston. People have said they work best as a counter-charge army, and using their speed to focus assault at weak points.

willydstyle
17-08-2007, 17:59
I've always been a devotee of Khorne, but if I were to go loyalist, the BA's would be my men. They're just a step away from berzerkers anyways :)

Baaltharus
17-08-2007, 18:10
Its not that BA are overcosted, its that the units in the new Codex Chaos are undercosted. Also, BA Death Company aren't free, they cost 30 (35) points each by and large.

If you want a reason to play them then its because they are a cool and interesting army which usually favours an aggressive style of play. They also have some of the best background of all the armies in 40k.

Al.

warchild9
17-08-2007, 18:14
Mephiston is GOD.....well for blood angels anway. Your brother is probably still learning to use them it will be a matter a time before he starts beating you, rembmer he is new to marines while most of us started there

Davachido
17-08-2007, 20:04
Advantages? hmm, plenty:

Death company: FNP, FC, Rending < no other loyalist marines have this.
Attack bikes: single attack bike squads :p
Baal: Move 12" and fire 10 shots, 4 rending.
Over-charged rhinos: 18" movement
Jump pack of army of DOOM or mech-counter assault army.

You have to get used to the new marines though, the direction they are going is a LOT different from the 3rd and early 4th ed codexs.

Other than all that, awesome background and Sanguinius is the coolest primach even if he did die by the hand of Horus. Though we have been getting back at Chaos ever since.

For the Blood of Sanguinius!

shutupSHUTUP!!!
17-08-2007, 20:17
Blood Angels require some skill to play. They don't get many models and a lot of their powerful units are glass cannons (baal preds, land speeder tornadoes). You can't waste models so you have to hug terrain, avoid line of sight from enemy guns where possible and use combat squads in supporting groups.

That said I have beaten Chaos cult armies and even wiped them out as well as deamon bomb style armies so it can be done. They do well at playing games with missions objectives and plenty of terrain.

A good BA army normally has a healthy sized Death Company, another powerful CC unit (veteran assault marines for instance) and plenty of mobile firepower (attack bikes, baal predators).

LonelyPenguin
17-08-2007, 22:29
hmm, ok, can anyone give some advice on his list? ;)

Lemartes-with 5 man honor guard, 1 power fist and 2 power weapons i think

5 man veteran assault squad with 1 powerfist and 1 power weapon

2-10 man tactical squads 1 with powerfist, 1 with power weapon, both rhinos

1 10 man devastator squad, 2 plasma cannons, 1 lascannon, 1 multi-melta

6 man death company

1 vengeance whirlwind

this is all based on memory, haven't read the codex-but 1500 pts any advice?

GodofWarTx
17-08-2007, 23:19
I've always been a devotee of Khorne, but if I were to go loyalist, the BA's would be my men. They're just a step away from berzerkers anyways :)

Heh. Its clear someone hasnt played the new Codex: Red Ultramarines list.

dcikgyurt
17-08-2007, 23:25
Assault marines as troop choices, 'nuff said! :D

Other than all that, awesome background and Sanguinius is the coolest primach even if he did die by the hand of Horus. Though we have been getting back at Chaos ever since.

For the Blood of Sanguinius!

Yeah, our primarch pwned your primarch, it took a man-god to pwn ours. :D That said, yes, you've been trying to get your own back, but with little success, Abaddon lives on!

kermit
17-08-2007, 23:30
Mephiston...

And a Free Codex... (http://ca.games-workshop.com/BAcodex/newBAmain.htm)

All you need to start an army.

Feor
17-08-2007, 23:34
Death Company. When the redshirts come over on 40K night to see why someone's shouting "NO!, you don't get 42 Rending attacks at initiative 5!" and the guy shouting is wrong, you know there's something not quite right with that army.

BrainFireBob
18-08-2007, 00:22
1) You find something irresistibly evocative in the noble, doomed Sons of Sanguinius.

2) You always wanted to field that 8th Company army.

Tensor
18-08-2007, 00:29
They rend.

quite a lot.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
18-08-2007, 01:01
hmm, ok, can anyone give some advice on his list?

Lemartes-with 5 man honor guard, 1 power fist and 2 power weapons i think

5 man veteran assault squad with 1 powerfist and 1 power weapon

2-10 man tactical squads 1 with powerfist, 1 with power weapon, both rhinos

1 10 man devastator squad, 2 plasma cannons, 1 lascannon, 1 multi-melta

6 man death company

1 vengeance whirlwind

I assume the honour guard have jump packs (if not they should). The tactical squads would benefit from both having power fists, giving them lascannons and splitting into combat squads for more firepower (so two with lascannons two with power fists and rhinos). The multimelta and lascannon in the devastator squad should be replaced by missile launchers. Send the lascannon to a tactical squad and bin the multimelta.

Take out all the power weapons if he doesn't have enoughy points they are the least useful part of the army list. otherwise it's not particularly bad, not particularly competitive. I can see it having trouble against a cult army so my best advice is for you yourself to get the new Chaos codex ASAP which will balance the matchup by quite a bit.

LonelyPenguin
18-08-2007, 01:31
I can see it having trouble against a cult army so my best advice is for you yourself to get the new Chaos codex ASAP which will balance the matchup by quite a bit.

yeah, the honor guard had jump packs

I was using the new codex and won by 530 points or so (no objectives)

my list was-khorne lord with bloodfeeder, jump pack
10 raptors, 2 meltaguns, champ w/ powerfist, icon of chaos glory
8 plague marines, 2 meltaguns, champ w/ powerfist, chaos rhino
8 khorne berzerkers, champ w/ powerfist, chaos rhino
9 noise marines, x8 sonic blasters, x1 blastmaster
10 thousand sons, sorc w/ doombolt

shutupSHUTUP!!!
18-08-2007, 01:45
Given the lack of heavy weapons in your army he would benefit from tanks, he could proxy his whirlwind as a vindicator and see how it works for him. ("try before you buy" is my maxim!). How much terrain do you use?

Maybe you should try swapping armies for a game or two then you'd both ahev a better idea of what to do and te drawbacks and advantages of both armies.

I can imagine having a close friend or relative both playing 40k and one guy always winning being really lame so it's a problem best solved early on before games get stale.

LonelyPenguin
18-08-2007, 02:15
oh well his real army is tau he just started this blood angels thing yesterday, but we are really competitive always trying to make the best list and beat each other so it never really gets old haha...

but yeah I told him to add some baal predators and land speeders but he says land speeders die too fast :/

anyway thanks for the help

we use a good amount of terrain usually

TheMav80
18-08-2007, 02:31
First and foremost. Style. The Blood Angels are just cool.
Other than that...

Assault Marines as troops is nice. The Baal Predator is nice. I think the Furioso is cool, maybe not as useful as other things though. Death Company is mean. Plus...Mephiston!

SanguinaryDan
18-08-2007, 03:14
The Baal Pred is a must. It's the only mobile fire support that can keep up with a BA assault army. Because he's right, Land Speeders die waaay too easily against Marine (any flavor) armies. And in the new list they cost too much if you want the Aslt Cn version. Though the Typhoonado (Multi-melta, Aslt Cn, Typhoon missiles) is an amusing, and legal, option.

alex03
18-08-2007, 03:17
Here's why I started with Blood Angels all the way back in 2nd edition. Everything in 2nd seemed to be about staying in cover and shooting, and I thought it would be cool to jump around chopping thing up with chainswords. It was new and orginal and not really done back then, with my fiends at least.

I also like what they were, basicly vampires in space. Thats their underlaying theme. Crazy space vampires with chainsaws jumping around. Cool.

I also liked the death company, though it was a neat idea. Liked the look of them. So now its black super crazy space vampires with chainsaws jumping around. Cool.

Liked the color red. Looked easy enought to paint. Friend had ultramarines, so they were out. Liked the concept of the space wolves, but thought the powder blue kinda sissy, really. Dark angels were an option, but they were too strick in background. Not my thing.

So if you like somewhat crazy space vampires jumping around with chainswords chopping things up than maybe you too can play Blood Angels.

Advantages over other space marnies is that they are better at using jump pack assault troops to get close to the enemy and engage them in close combat. They also have faster transports, and generally are a faster army than other marine armies. They also have mephiston, a kick ass and generally cool guy.

grickherder
18-08-2007, 05:30
I'd recommend the attack bike with multi-meltas as well. It might be tough to use against that particular chaos list, but at only 50 points a piece, they can be great. Taking 3 separate single ones means that no squad can shoot at all three at once. They could really snipe some of those strong cult marines with the melta shots and if the raptors threaten them, the death company should be ready for a counter charge.